[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Batman doesn't kill because it's not his call to make,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 14
File: 4897645-batman.jpg (426 KB, 3000x2226) Image search: [Google]
4897645-batman.jpg
426 KB, 3000x2226
Batman doesn't kill because it's not his call to make, it's the court system's.
>>
So's arresting people in the first place. If you're gonna be a vigilante, don't half-ass it, Bruce.
>>
>>78426334
>>78426399
Batman doesn't kill because he has psychological issues about killing because of that "night!" That's it! Simple!
>>
He's already making a call by not killing them.
>>
>>78426334
Batman doesn't kill because he is a fictional character and the writers do not want him to.
>>
But man at some point you have to take out someone like the Joker. He keeps trusting the justice system, but how many times have his enemies escaped Arkham and killed more people?
>>
Have they ever done a story where Bruce builds his own prison to keep his rogues? Bring some of his telepath buddies in for counselling and shit.
>>
Batman doesn't kill because he is aware of his own psychological instability and thus knows that the first kill will send him spiraling into a murder rampage.
>>
>>78426474
It's a comic book. In reality the Joker wouldn't be able to always escape and would be executed, so there's no reason not to trust the justice system. Since it's a comic he's always going to escape, always going to come back to life, always going to escape whatever parallel dimension he's been thrown into because he needs to be back for the next story.

Either you go with real-world logic, where Batman doesn't kill the Joker because there's no logical reason to assume he's going to escape yet again; or you use comic book logic, where Batman knows killing him will do absolutely nothing.

Why is this question ONLY asked of Batman and the Joker?
>>
Would make more sense of his mom was a lawyer or judge and instilled in to him how important the judicial system is. Then it would make his no kill rule more credible
>>
>>78426334
He said that "killing makes us like them" to Dick once.
>>
>>78426494
You mean brainwashing right? To go with the kidnapping
>>
A better question should be why don't Batman's allies kill since they don't have his hangups or morality issues

Jason kills or used to kill
everyone else...yeah
>>
File: Judgmental Stare.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Judgmental Stare.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>Nobody in this thread is familiar with the universe where Bruce has camera installed at Arkham and has 100% access on how things work and operate over there

OP he lets the villians out! this is all a game to him!

This man locked Dracula in Arkham Asylum. This man arrested DRACULA! THE LORD OF THE UNDEAD!

He put him in a room full of lights so he couldn't use the full extent of his powers.
>>
i like the idea that deep down he's afraid to find out he enjoys it

turns an impossible to uphold moral standard into an actual character flaw
>>
In a world with revolving door prisons/Asylums it's amoral to not carry out summary executions.

We don't execute people on a spot because we trust police and justice system to do it more effectively. If they fail, we'd revert back to swift street justice.
>>
>>78426428
So he's a coward. Got it.
>>
>>78426494
During No Man's Land he made a prison and put Bane in charge of it, no one escaped from it ever.
>>
>>78426399
if he killed someone Gordon and the entire JL would be the first to track him down and try to arrest him
>>
>>78426334
Batman would stop the courts if they ever decided to execute a member of his gallery.
>>
Batman doesn't kill because DC doubled down to comply with the comics code and made a no kill code a part of a character who used to kill quite often and even encouraged it in his young partner

And it worked because Batman has always been somewhat of a psychopath and giving him a code that would drive any man insane is par for the course
>>
>>78429022
there's a story about the joker being sentenced to death for a crime he didn't commit and bats working against the clock to find the real culprit
>>
File: who judges the judgemen.png (487 KB, 1195x900) Image search: [Google]
who judges the judgemen.png
487 KB, 1195x900
>>78426334
Then the answer's simple: we kill Gotham's court system!
>>
>>78426334
Nah, he's just a faggot.
>>
>>78426334
Then why are his parents dead?
>>
>>78426399
Police, not courts. Do not confuse the executive with the legislative or judicial.

>>78428993
But he'd have a contingency for that and they'd all wake up in Reno licking Jim Gordon's cold, dead, bat-bullet riddled ass.
>>
>>78426459
keep general logic and common sense away from this website, it is and will never be welcome here
>>
File: jokergun.jpg (576 KB, 1252x1323) Image search: [Google]
jokergun.jpg
576 KB, 1252x1323
Daily reminder.
>>
>>78428993
And they can't do this to villains because...?
>>
>>78433363
>that moment joker realised Frank doesnt fuck around
>>
>>78433363
>I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you
>>
>>78428969
I thought he put Lock-Up in charge. IIRC he convinces Bane to go back to Santa Prisca.
>>
Killing someone to stop them from murdering an innocent person is completely acceptable.
>>
>>78433439
Fucking this. If their lives are in danger due to one of their schemes gone wrong, just don't fucking save them.
>>
>>78433442
I think you are right, I haven't read it in ages
>>
Why doesn't Batman have a super prison in the Batcave? Keep all the mob bosses and costumed villains in some sort of cryosleep/stasis.

Yes, I know in Beyond and other stories he has.

Maybe have Fate put everyone in that place that doesn't exist, like where Fate's tower exists.
>>
>>78433439
The worst part about this quote is that he was the one who sabotaged things so they would die. He DID kill them.
>>
File: qevNABi.webm (31 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
qevNABi.webm
31 KB, 500x372
>>78426334
He's a force for justice and vengeance, a symbol. He's not judge, jury or executioner. He wants to help the judicial system and not become it, since he knows he won't be around forever.
>>
>>78433666
>He's a force for justice and vengeance
Fucking kek.
>>
>>78427127
Because the Joker is a murderous clown who killed/maimed dozens of people that Batman cares about?
>>
>>78426399
Citizen's arrest is a thing, anon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen%27s_arrest_in_the_United_States

Of course Batman's adherence to these rules depends on the writer.
>>
>>78433400
because if they killed someone Batman would be the first to track the entire JL down and and try to arrest them.
>>
>>78434354
Dumbass, I'm asking why they can't track down villains with the same efficiency and purpose they would use on Batman if he killed someone.
>>
>>78433666
Vengeance would be Red Hood, Bats is just some nutty vigilante.
>>
>>78428919
From a certain point of view. He doeant want to kill the helpless. Most criminals are helpless against him.
>>
>>78433645
>he was the one who sabotaged things so they would die

No, Ra's destroyed the control-panel of the train... he was about to finish his mission and wouldnt stop no matter what. Same as Batman wouldnt quit to stop the train (thus plan B with destroying the rails).
>>
File: 1449559751926.jpg (464 KB, 1024x1062) Image search: [Google]
1449559751926.jpg
464 KB, 1024x1062
>>78433363

I admire this crossover for how accurate everything was. They didn't have some stupid bull-shit where they fight and it ends with a draw, despite the gap between the two.
>>
>>78434765
It was destroyed while they were fighting, Ra's did not appear to know the control panel was destroyed thus why he had to look at the panel when wondering why Bats said he wasn't trying to stop it.
>>
>>78435408

Batman was trying to stop the train via controls. Ra's pulled him back and stabbed the controls several times, prolly to ensure that even in case he loses Bruce wouldnt have a chance to stop the train again.
>>
>>78433439
MUH BATMAN WOULD NEVER EVER SAY THIS
>>
>>78427127

This.

Batman is so smart that he knows he's in a comic and therfore, knows that even if he killed the Joker that the lunatic would still survive or be reincarnated or something else.

But he doesn't want to escalate the conflict, so he keeps Joker ans all the other baddies thinking that it's all about him not killing.
>>
>>78426334
Right, he doesn't get the right to decide who lives and dies just because he's rich and works out a lot
>>
>>78435739
Batman is Deadpool? No, fuck you. And Joker escalates the conflict anyways.
>>
>>78435739
Isn't this what happened to Jason Todd in Morrison's run? Jason went around killing, and then fucked things up because he attracted Flamingo into Gotham, making him an enemy of the criminal underground, the police, AND Batman.

Then Judd Winick missed the point, and tried to turn him back into "sexy bad boy with a hard life"
>>
>>78435749

Joker I'd bad enough without knowing he's effectively immortal. To say nothing of the rest of the villains in Gotham.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (85 KB, 584x379) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
85 KB, 584x379
Anybody else think that Batman gets his jollies by beating the shit out of criminals within an inch of their lives? The way that he curb stomps a lot of those bad guys it's a miracle that they come out "alive" at all.
>>
>>78427195
...Actually anon here makes a fair point. Batman's parents were doctors, or at least his father was, and he's stated that crime is a "sickness" before right? So why hasn't he cured Gotham of it yet? His parents would be so fucking disappointed in him.

Okay fuck this, I want a story where Batman meets his dead parents ghosts or some shit, and he expects them to be proud of what he's doing but they're just so fucking horrified that he runs around dressed like a fucking bat and doesn't put down psychotics like the Joker.
>>
>>78438656
criminals don't deserve kindness you liberal faggot
>>
>>78426334
>it's the court system's.
Gotham's court system is a joke. It doesn't help that the institutions to lock up gotham's most wanted are outdated. Black Gate which houses a bulk of the meta humans that commit crimes are still treating meta humans like normal humans. Not saying Bats should kill but it would be in his best interest to use wayne corp to privatize a better Jail.
>>
>>78438656
In one of the games I kicked a criminal off of a ledge that had a bottomless pit situation going on.
>>
>>78426399
He doesn't arrest people. He incapacitates them so that the police can arrest them.
>>
>>78433610
For literally the same reason he doesn't kill. It's not his place. He doesn't get to decide who lives and who dies, he just makes it so the police can arrest these people so they can go to trial and face their punishment.

If he just locks them up for life on his own, he might as well be executing them.
>>
>>78434385
They're not responsible for Batman's villains. They ARE responsible for Batman because he's a part of their club.
>>
>>78426459
>>78427127
>>78429026
>>78433340
>hurt during its a comic book
No shit really?
Thanks for coming into this thread to tell us all what we already know.
>>
>>78438656
I just finished reading this story. That's an insane ex-cop who thinks he's batman.
>>
>>78439229
>it's not his place
>coercing confessions
>tampering with evidence
>kidnapping suspects

It's not his place to do anything as a vigilante, it's the job for law enforcement, that's some serious ass criminal activity that would get charges thrown out on bullshit technicalities.
>>
>>78439392
>that's some serious ass criminal activity
Of course it is. Batman's an outlaw and officially the criminal. The police tolerate him because he makes their lives a lot easier.

Batman took it upon himself to catch criminals. But he draws the line at at deciding things like who lives and who dies.
>>
File: batman.webm (2 MB, 1390x724) Image search: [Google]
batman.webm
2 MB, 1390x724
>>78426334
>>
>>78439392
Pretty sure the JL is allowed to operate by the government so it's okay
>>
>>78426334
He doesn't kill so they can better market him to children
>>
>maim people
>nah I don't kill (most of the time)
Fuck you too, Bruce
>>
>>78439541
Now starring: affluenza boy as Batman!
>>
>>78439301
>They're not responsible for Batman's villains.

That's right, police aren't responsible for bringing in criminals, that are a threat to their citizens.

Oh who am I kidding, the people not behind badges, or costumes haven't mattered to DC, for years.

It's why they can drop like flies, and no one makes a fuss, like they would if one villain's life is threatened.
>>
Would people actually feel safe if there was a man dressed as a giant bat out there executing people who broke the law? Just think about that for a second.
>>
>>78428404
i've always thought this was the best and most satisfying explanation
>>
>>78426334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfH3bDPNGHw
>>
File: 1447570101501.jpg (50 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1447570101501.jpg
50 KB, 600x400
>>78428318
>This man locked Dracula in Arkham Asylum. This man arrested DRACULA! THE LORD OF THE UNDEAD!
>>
>>78440306
They did when it was a Jew in a red scarf, and a w.a.s.p with a Spider gimmick.
>>
Batman doesn't kill so he can keep playing politics with metahumans.
Batman needs to be less threating to be more dangerous.
>>
>>78433507
That's how the joker was made fool.
>>
>>78426334
Plus it's a whole lot of effort and he's kind of a fatty.
>>
I want a comic where Batman catches the Joker, Joker gets thrown into Arkham, and some random nobody shoots the Joker dead. Batman and all the relevant heroes in Gotham have to deal with the implications and repercussions of someone doing what they swore to never do, the media is whipped into a frenzy about it, and the insanity from killing a psychopath who should've been put down years ago drives the guy who killed him to become the new Joker.
>>
Isn't the whole point of a vigilante is to serve justice your own way
>>
>>78439458
Pretty sure killing the Joker would make their lives a lot easier. You know how many cops that dude kills every time he shows up?

Oh no! You killed that mass murdering cop killer! Now you've crossed the line Batman
>>
>>78434167
I don't see cops going to kill him either, and Joker killed way more cops than Robins.
>>
I always assumed that Batman doesn't kill because he works close with the police, and police brutality is a crime. It's just some stupid post crisis shit in which everyone assumes Batman is as insane as Joker, and writers try to rip off Miller's Dark Knight.
>>
>>78442036
>http://www.puritytest.net/test/500/
>had an arousing dream? (Wet dreams and the like.)

That shit is biological. Also Merry Christmas again /co/.
>>
>>78441948
>Jew in a red scarf
Who?
>>
>>78442154
The Shadow.
>>
File: 2911379-spider01covvirgincen.jpg (25 KB, 426x640) Image search: [Google]
2911379-spider01covvirgincen.jpg
25 KB, 426x640
>>78442164
Hah, and I kept wondering who's in DC wearing red scarf.
And I correctly assume that "a w.a.s.p with a Spider gimmick." is this guy?
>>
>>78442186
Yup.
>>
>>78439574
I'd rather be seriously injured than dead.
>>
>>78442186
who is this?
>>
>>78442047
That's not justice. It's not even fascism, which at least pretends to serve the people's will, even if it tends toward serving a small self-appointed elite's whimsy; it's pure authoritarianism. The US was founded to do away with that kind of authoritarian bullshit.
>>
>>78442429
The Spider, pulp hero. Usual things: rich, handsome, intelligent, kills fuckload of criminals.
>>
>Someone kills the Joker
>It was the father of a girl the Joker killed years ago
>For years he watched Batman and the Joker playing Cat and Mouse, living a nightmare when his daughter's murderer was running loose
>Plead guilty
>Judge give him a small sentence
>He is called an hero and become a symbol for common men to stand up to the people terrorizing them
>Write a book about his life in prison, it's a best-seller, give most of his money to associations helping families members of people who died from violent crimes.
>When his debt to society is purged, he leave Gotham and live a good life until his days end.
>Meanwhile Batman is sobbing in his cave, holding a picture of the Joker.
>>
>>78442565
the US was founded as a tax evasion scam
>>
>>78442620
>Thing in the Mirror takes a few more acolytes and has one of them make this guy wish he was dead
>>
>>78432438

>tfw licking Jim Gordon's ass is STILL a meme around here
>tfw you remember the original thread that started it

I hope the anon who posted that thread is still around, and still gets embarrassed every time he sees it.
>>
>>78442589
And brands them with the insignia of a Spider.
>>
File: 1337955524714.jpg (15 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1337955524714.jpg
15 KB, 460x276
>>78439541
it's his car who killed them not him.
>>
>>78442774

Yeah, and if you accidentally shoot someone, you still go to prison.
>>
>>78442774
Batman preptimes his car so it can fight crime while he isn't able to.
>>
>>78442799
only if you're a nigger.
>>
>>78442806
can preptime beat plot armor?
>>
>>78433363
>Even Joker is scared of getting Franked
>>
>>78442817
Depends on who wears plot armor. If it's Batman, no.
>>
>>78442799
no you don't, you just pay 50,000 in damages and 2,000 for bail
>>
>>78442840

Wow, America is fucked up. Don't you guys have manslaughter laws?
>>
File: embarrassing.jpg (34 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
embarrassing.jpg
34 KB, 334x393
>>78428919

>Fights dangerous criminals mostly by himself, often 10 of them at the same time

>gets in high risk situations every night

>coward
>>
>>78439304
Apparently you don't understand it or else you wouldn't be asking this stupid fucking question for the trillionth time.

You might as well be asking "Why does the protagonist always win in the end?" or "Why don't they just go back in time and kill him when he's sitting on the crapper?"
>>
>>78438876
Because it's like cancer, you don't "cure" it, you treat it.
>>
>>78442889

>high risk

It's not exactly high risk when every criminal is braindead, and Batman has the superpower of bad writing.
>>
>>78442877
there's no crime if no one presses charges, and most people wanting to press charges will reconsider when given the choice between a fat stack of cash and a court case stretched over several years that eats up all their time and money they probably won't win anyone because the other guy's lawyer is better than theirs at insisting there's not enough evidence to prove wrongdoing beyond all reasonable doubt.
>>
>>78442908

Can't believe I have to explain this to you.

When this question comes up, it's not really about "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?". Everyone knows that won't happen, because the Joker sells way too much merchandise.

The real question is why are the writers so shit that they create such an illogical situation where killing the Joker is the only thing that makes sense.

The writers don't HAVE to make the Joker's body count so high that his continued breathing is unrealistic. They don't HAVE to keep giving the same shitty excuses for why Gotham's justice system repeatedly fails to do its job. But they do, for the short term gains of "Ohmygawd, the Joker is soooooo badass!"

The question isn't "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?", it's "Why are the writers so shit?"
>>
Hood is better at batmanning than batman
>>
>>78442620
>implying Batman isn't five steps ahead of that literal nobody
>Joker doesn't even realize someone's out to get him
>>
>>78428919
Criminals like making other people helpless.
>>
File: batman.png (178 KB, 545x3173) Image search: [Google]
batman.png
178 KB, 545x3173
>>
>>78428919
Go get a gun and hunt down every criminal you can then.
>>
File: 1442127075826.jpg (83 KB, 562x610) Image search: [Google]
1442127075826.jpg
83 KB, 562x610
>>78443012
Because faggots like you will then ask:

"Why doesn't the joker just kill X?"
"Why does the joker do such elaborate stupid plans?"
"Wouldn't it make more sense to just shoot X and run?"
"Man joker is lame, even fucking college losers with guns have a higher body count than him"

There is no satisfying you people about how cape comics work.
>>
>>78443012
Joker just is naturally gonna have a high body count because he's a serial killer character that has existed for 75 years. Even good writers have to come to terms with that.

Sometimes bad writers have him kill too many people but there's nothing you can do about that except ignore it. There are gonna be bad writers, it's something else you have to accept.

In fiction there are things you just gotta fucking deal with because asking this same stupid question and bitching about what past writers have already done can't fix anything. You're not pointing out anything new or thoughtful, you're just complaining that fiction is fiction and comics are comics, so why bother?
>>
>>78442036
Kingdom Come already happened
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.