[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Terrible Dinosaur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9
File: the_good_dinosaur-590x330.jpg (52 KB, 590x330) Image search: [Google]
the_good_dinosaur-590x330.jpg
52 KB, 590x330
What went wrong?
>>
>>78425108
Stop pirating movies faggot.
>>
>>78425108
the designs looked like shit

that's all
>>
>>78425343

Everyone keeps blaming the designs but really I think it failed because it just looks like Pixar's least ambitious movie since Cars 2.
>>
>>78425108

I liked that they actually beat the shit out of Arlo. Scrapes, bruises, blood. That's not something you ever see. So they get kudos for that.

The rest of the movie was dull as fuck and the story really had no purpose to it. The rexes were great though.
>>
>>78425108
Maybe they shouldn't have released two films in one year. Or, more likely, maybe they should've dropped the film once it started to have major issues like they did with Newt.
>>
Am I the only person who likes this movie?Because I didn't really care for the designs,and the story was cool.
>>
Mediocre

And releasing the movie just when Inside Out was still lingering.
>>
>>78425465
It was a good movie, but not a fun movie.
>>
>>78425108
No waifu.
>>
>>78425465
I liked it too
Beautiful movie, but defiantly flawed

>>78425108
Poor and Little amount of marketing
>>
>>78425656
>defiantly
*Definitely
>>
Garbage Dreamwork tier boring story w/o even any jokes.
As bad as Brave.
>>
>>78425385
I think thats wrong. this movie took a lot of risks in terms of pushing the rating
>>
>>78425108
It was boring
>>
Awful marketing.

I hand to god thought that this movie was coming out next year.
>>
they didn't scrap it when they had the chance.
>>
It came out too soon after Inside Out.

People were still talking about that one so there was no time for anyone to notice "wait a second they're already coming out with another one?"
>>
They didn't make him a T-Rex.

The major issue with having a T-Rex protagonist or carnivore protagonist is that they eat meat and you can't show kids that.

However the T-Rex ranchers IN the movie showed the implication of eating meat is fine and the Lion King has shown that eating bugs is fine.

Just restructure the movie.

Arlo is now a T-Rex rancher kid whose bad at it because of a lack of confidence.

Arlo still gets lost with Spot and the movie becomes them trying to get back to Arlo's rancher family, which is harder because he has to track them with Spot and the migration of the herd.

Flesh out the antagonist groups more. Combine the Pterasaurs and the Raptors into one large raiding group, maybe make them the lackies of a nutjob T-Rex or another carnivore.

The climax of the movie is them finding Arlo's family, fending off the antagonist who are trying to get the buffalo to stampede and kill themselves along with Arlo's family off a cliff (Have Spot and Arlo stop the stampede by starting a Fire), and then have Arlo and Spot fight the big boss

FUCKING BAM
>>
Not enough dinosaurs.

Correct me, but over the course we had

Longnecks

Sharpteeth

Little Sharpteeth

Flyers

Three horn

The Carnivores game some Ukrainians released in 1998 had seven plus some ambient species in the background.

Also I fucking hate making the secondary or side character of whatever species a dog. AM tier hatred.
>>
They was no reason for them to be dinosaurs. Had no affect on the plot.
>>
File: 1448601779818.jpg (514 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1448601779818.jpg
514 KB, 1280x1707
>>78425977
>San Frisco bay Area Vegan Hippie Artfags
>promote meat eating
>>
The Dinosaur designs would fit better in an 80s/90s movie
>>
>>78426010
Also they looked RETARDED.
>>
>>78425108
literally everything.
story just kinda, well, happened. other than the father Rex all the characters were terrible especially that fuck Arlo. design was shit. just overall a really terrible movie.

also
>that totally out of pace shroom trip sequence
>>
There's only one room in Hollywood for a movie about Dinosaurs
>>
>>78425108
>What went wrong?
The dinosaurs looked too cartoony and the story itself wasn't that interesting.
>>
I'd watch an entire film about the Rex ranchers. They were cool.
>>
>>78426010
the whole premise is that *the meteor* doesn't hit and dinos evolve to become the dominant, intelligent species with humans subspecies. Kinda essential to the whole thing..
>>
>>78425977
What are they gonna ranch. other sentient dinos?
>>
>>78426035
Would everyone shut the fuck up about the designs! It's literally a escape goat now.
>>
>>78426085
Fucking longhorns, like they do in the movie, you mong.
>>
>>78426080
Aptos are fucking cows, where are the tool using raptors?
>>
>>78426093
>escape goat

fucking A++, anon. Gold star.
>>
>>78426093
It really does look goofy, I expected something really funny, not a dreary YA novel.
>>
>>78425757
Even Brave at least had good characters/waifus
>>
>>78426108
It's that forgettable.
>>
>>78425637
>No waifu

Who is Ramsey?
>>
It wasn't nearly as comedic as I'd hoped. Very bland story, my friends and I were convinced that Pixar made the movie as an excuse to show off the weather and water effects. I felt like I was watching a rerun on TV Land, but with dinosaurs.

How many storms did Arlo get caught in? By the end of the movie, I was laughing about it.
>>
>>78425108
It was delayed and released after Inside Out.
>>
>>78425108
Definitely not the environments
>>
isn't this the movie with the first asian pixar director ever?
>>
>>78427003
>Peter Sohn
He's an American, born in Brooklyn to Korean immigrants and worked his way up from inside Pixar.
There's prolly very little "Asian" about him beside kimchee and chinky eyes.
>>
Maybe it should have had commercials or something. I only ever hear about it on /co/ when people are talking about how much of a failure it was.
>>
>>78428046
>to Korean immigrants
so the rest of your post doesn't matter, race is race, doesn't matter where
>>
It tried too hard to be a Ghibli-esque film. Visuals are pretty as fuck, story is crap sometimes.
>>
>>78428046
Think he means diversity shit, not foreign nationalities.
>>
>>78428085
So Ponyo with Dinos.
>>
>>78428075
>race is race, doesn't matter where
So 'Murrican.
So Tumblr.
>>
>>78428075
>chinks, japs, and gooks
>caring about race over country
>>
>>78428206
>>78428168
Maybe Pixer should've hired a director who could actually open his eyes.
>>
>>78428046
>filthy koreans killing Pixar
Nice job gooks.
>>
File: blunderoftheyear.png (204 KB, 664x237) Image search: [Google]
blunderoftheyear.png
204 KB, 664x237
The lack of Dinosaurs in the movie really bothered me. The teaser shot had a few Parasaurolophus, and the action figures had a blue triceratops and green stegosaurus. I feel a LOT was cut out of the movie. If they wanted to stick with a western type story I wish they would've went the fievel goes west route with a town full of dinosaurs, creatures and humans
>>
>>78428398
Those figures were from when the movie had a full Amish farming community of dinosaurs Arlo was living in.
>>
>>78425996
Dude. Carnivores kicked ass, love that game.
>>
>lack of dinosaurs
>awful designs
>rehashed plot
>rehashed species as protagonist
>characters that were there had barely any screen time or presence
>spot's entire character and plot seemed tacked on and just took away from the rest of the movie
>>
>>78425801
There isn't an interesting idea to the good dinosaur, it's just "dinosaur movie"

Pixar does visually stunning movies with genuinely novel ideas, that's why I jumped for Inside Out but didn't care even a little bit about this.
>>
>Let's base a whole movie on an unlikable wimp and make it take place in a tired setting. What could go wrong?
>>
Between The Land Before Time and You Are Umasou I feel like it's a waste of time to try to make any more dinosaur movies. They'll never even come close to those two.
>>
>>78425637
We got Spot, way better.
>>
>>78425385
And the design was one of the reasons people didn't watch. They look at them and they look like outdated CG even if it actually is good CG.
>>
>>78425465
We're two.
>>
When the dad dies in the flood I literally leaned over to my sister and whispered "Now where have I seen this before? Oh yes.
It was the biggest laugh we had during the entire movie.
>>
>>78425108
>What went wrong?

It was a short, dull, uninteresting and easily forgettable movie that didn't really strive or carve out it's own niche or impact.

It looked great, but it watched more like a made for tv special than a feature length pixar film.
Inside out was pretty weak as well, but that's another story.
>>
>>78430882
Mufasa were actually to drown on a flood on the first storylines.
>>
Things wrong with this movie ...

What was the point of the story? He meets a Dino consumed by fear so he learns not to be like that ... but that was a solo dino living in a fucking world full of dinos things that could eat him and he was old but had animal friends so ehh (Maybe he should find himself a herd?).

Flyers pushed fear aside and because of that they allowed anger and savage shit take hold of them through their lil storm religion. But there's nothing inherently wrong with what they were doing ... they were using the storm to eat "critters". But because the protag is a plant eater we can't have that ...They didn't care too much about him until they tried to protect a "critter".

TRex group were the only good part and they respected fear but wouldn't let it stop them from doing what they had to do. Exactly what his dad was trying to teach him ...

You can tell they fucked with the story after animating it. The part where the dad dies seems like it's the part where Arlo was supposed to get suck up by the river ... because his knee gets fucked, then dad dies then his knee is all better on the farm, then he get's rivered then his knee gets focus on how fucked it is. So I take it that the rework was to shoe horn a dad death.

Also, how the FUCK is a primal-human better at smelling shit than a TRex? Also, the designs were shit.
>>
File: April_Fools_squid.jpg (108 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
April_Fools_squid.jpg
108 KB, 1024x768
>Hasn't even broken even
>>
>>78425108
Unrealistic desingns in beautiful scenarios.

Arlo's Dad look creepy in the dream at the end.

Boring and sometimes too dark story, shit hero don't deserve put his mark in a cow shit.

Pixar can't make a worse movie even if they want.
>>
>>78425184
>paying for digital media
>>
>>78426080
One of the biggest problems with this movie is that they didn't even go anywhere with that concept. That introduction was completely pointless because the rest of the movie has nothing to do with it. They could've just had this take place during prehistoric times and nothing about the plot would've changed at all.

If you're going to make a movie about dinosaurs being the planet's dominant species, then it should be a movie about dinosaurs living in a modern society or something like that, not whatever the fuck this was supposed to be. If I want to watch a movie about a young dinosaur going on a journey of self discovery, I would just watch Land Before Time.

For the people complaining about the lack of advertising, you can probably blame Star Wars for that.
>>
>>78425108
Didn't this movie have an absolutely shit production with the plot being completely re-written several times?
>>
Characters just popped up then vanished.

Repeated scenes (how many times did the dinosaur almost drown, then get knocked on the head, then wake up)?

Points for the soundtrack, scenery, and the main dinosaur actually, visibly being bruised/cut/etc.
>>
>>78428460
My nigger, gotta love the community. Still making mods to this day on Carnivores Saga.

>>78430997
Damn, if they'd focused more on the various ways niggas dealt with the concept of fear, that could have been baller. I'll keep this in mind if I ever make a movie about groups dealing with fear, not even being sarcastic.
>>
Haven't seen the movie, but I watched a half hour behind the scenes making of thing of it on tv the other day. It was funny seeing how all the artists and writers and stuff were talking it up as this big thing knowing how reaction has been to it.

One thing I did find interesting was that some chief guy in an important position (I forget who) wanted the landscape to be just as much a character as the actual characters. From what I've seen they really accomplished that. It's just a shame the actual character design doesn't match the landscape design.
>>
>>78425108
I had no idea it existed until a week after it hit theaters.
>>
>If we don't finish the harvest, we'll starve

Why don't they just eat the trees around them?
>>
>>78439925
Why do Herbivores raise chickens?
>>
Just finished watching it.

I liked it. Much better than Brave or either of the Cars movies.
>>
>>78426080
But it's entirely ignored. Spot could easily be replaced by literally any other animal, and the dino's societal level is so primitive it'd be fine even if they were set pre-meteor.
>>
>>78440021
>Much better than Brave or either of the Cars movies.

Your point?

but compared to classics like Rata and Mr. Incredibles
>>
>>78436786
That seems to be a worrying trend at Pixar. What was Inside Out's production like?
>>
>>78430997
>You can tell they fucked with the story after animating it. The part where the dad dies seems like it's the part where Arlo was supposed to get suck up by the river ... because his knee gets fucked, then dad dies then his knee is all better on the farm, then he get's rivered then his knee gets focus on how fucked it is. So I take it that the rework was to shoe horn a dad death.
Yeah. I think it's pretty clear that they added in the "It sure is hard with your dad gone" scene very late in production.
>>
File: the-land-before-time.jpg (76 KB, 1236x674) Image search: [Google]
the-land-before-time.jpg
76 KB, 1236x674
Don't lose your way..... ;-;
>>
>>78434221
>Arlo's Dad look creepy in the dream at the end.
I liked that.

It and the reverse sharkfins were the highlights of the movie.

>Pixar can't make a worse movie even if they want.
They've already made 3 movies worse than this one.
>>
>>78439925
The fact that that was brought up made me think that when he returned home they'd all be dead or something.

Was surprised when they were totally fine.
>>
>>78426080
For gods sakes. Dinosaur Office does more with that idea than this movie, and that's just some silly web series I think.
>>
>>78440111
It's a good movie. Just not "Best ever made" tier. I'd put it on par with A Bug's Life.
>>
>>78434265
>Complaining about stuff without supporting what you do like
>>
>Underadvertised as fuck
>Lots of shaky stuff in-production; took way longer than expected
>The same year as another Pixar movie
>In theaters the same time as Star Wars

This thing was doomed from the start which is a shame because it's only going to reinforce Pixar's hesitancy to try new ideas as opposed to the eight-hundred-and-six sequels to IPs it already has, only making Pixar, animation, and Hollywood as a whole less open to new ideas because they're too risky. It also didn't look too bad judging by the presentation of it I saw.
>>
>>78440282
This certainly wasn't a "new" idea, though. A new IP, but what does that matter if it's a retread of ideas done countless times before?
>>
I think, and this is in no way a new sentiment, but Pixar have kind of painted themselves into a corner, creatively.

The problem isn't that The Good Dinosaur is a bad movie, because it's not. It's a good movie. It's competent.

The problem is, it would have been a great movie, borderline trancendental, if it was released in 2004.
If this movie came out instead of Finding Nemo, people would be losing their minds about it's brilliance.

The problem is, 10 years on, in the space year 2015, merely "Great" doesn't cut it for Pixar anymore. It's kind of depressing really.
>>
>>78440333
I'd rather take a new version of an old idea over "CARS 27: SANITATION TRUCKS ROLL OUT".
>>
>>78440364
If it came out in 2004 people would make remarks about how it was similar to The Land Before Time.

>>78440377
I'd rather just have good ideas in General. Whether or not they're rooted in a sequel doesn't bother me.

Half the problem is a good chunk of these sequels aren't framed around good ideas.
>>
>>78426740
>water effects
man, the water effects in that movie were something from the future
about the only thing that really blew me away, rest of the movie was eh
>>
>>78426080
No that was their excuse so they could have dinosaurs and cavemen together so losers like Neil deGrasse Tyson wouldn't go on twitter complaining how it is 'scientifically inaccurate'.
>>
>>78430997
here's another way the movie was fucked with

one of the bigger moments of the film was supposed to be Arlo introducing fire to Spot (and therefore humans) to save his life by blowing on a small smoking piece of wood, but the story was changed to make the TRex's old cowboy types and having a campfire scene

since there was a campfire scene now, they couldn't have Arlo be the one to discover fire for humans because it didn't really make sense anymore

so now to save Spot's life, Arlo just blows on his face
>>
>>78434221
>Cars 2 isn't worse than this and the worst Picar film to date until Cars 3
Lmao
>>
>>78425977
I don't see how this is any better than what happens in the actual movie.
>>
LITERALLY Dinosaur Punishment: The Movie.
>>
>>78425108
Dinosaur movies need to be put on a few decade hiatus.
>>
>>78442189
Dinosaur punishment happens to be my niche sexual fetish, I guess I should go see this now
>>
>>78442241
well buckle the fuck up, because you're in for a ride.
>>
this was good for them in a way

maybe they'll start to realize they can't keep coasting on old fame
>>
>>78425108
>Dinosaur's act like humans
>Humans act like animals

it's not funny.
>>
>>78425108
> Main character passed out at least 3 times in the movie. It's is a lazy script idea

> Main character is scared since his childhood but it is not explained why.

> Violence, and not the funny one.

>Creepy design. Most of the animals has "spider eyes".

> Lack of side stories. Was Arlo's family at least trying to found him?
>>
>>78442396
>Was Arlo's family at least trying to FIND him?
>>
File: 1450815153764.jpg (47 KB, 640x399) Image search: [Google]
1450815153764.jpg
47 KB, 640x399
>>78442412
You find anon's typo
>>
>>78428526
What. I'm not a huge fan of the movie but I think the nature animation was excellent and the idea of intelligent dinosaur, pet like human was novel.
>>
When are we going to have a movie where dinosaurs actually have feathers?
>>
>>78442523
I take it you didn't watch the movie?
>>
>>78440190
>Turns out they didn't even need Arlo.
>>
>Seventy Five Million Years
>Dinosaurs haven't evolved even a smidge.
>No society to speak of aside from, oddly enough, a common language.

Remember the rich, full worlds we got in Toy Story and Monsters Inc.?
>>
File: Sanjay's_Super_Team_poster.jpg (123 KB, 281x421) Image search: [Google]
Sanjay's_Super_Team_poster.jpg
123 KB, 281x421
a lot of thing went wrong

but i know what went right
dem colors
>>
>>78443995
I hated the Humans designs in this.

But thd colors were on point.
>>
>>78436786
That's sorta normal with pixar movies though I hear, though not QUITE to the extent of The Good Dinosaur.
>>
File: vishnu.jpg (269 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
vishnu.jpg
269 KB, 600x800
so is it universally agreed that Sanjay's Super Team is the best pixar short so far??
everything about it was amazing.
the animation on the gods was phenomenal, and the ghost trail effect was awesome.

it has a great story behind it, too. i first saw the short back in september, and the creator, sanjay, told the story behind the short. it's incredibly rooted in his childhood with his father, and how he felt detached from his own culture. only in recent years has he accepted his culture (hes still very young), and went on to make amazing things like this.
>>
>>78425385
The designs are the reason I don't want to watch it. Fuck that knobby-kneed dinosaur toy. Rex looks better than Arlo he's supposed to be a toy.
>>
>>78425108
not enough pandering. add some blonde princesses, some POC self insert, and minion/penguin/short annoying group and it would have sold better.
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.