[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /co/, I'm relatively new to comics and was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11
File: magneto 2.jpg (295 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
magneto 2.jpg
295 KB, 1366x768
Hey /co/, I'm relatively new to comics and was wondering what trades to pick up. Mainly looking at Marvel. Like Wolverine, Magneto, Captain America, Spider-Man (Peter, Ben, Miles), Iron Fist, Iron Man, Red Hulk, Venom (Eddie and Flash), Doctor Doom, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Dr. Strange.

Own Old Man Logan and BPRD and loved both. Also thinking about Doom War.
>>
>>78389571
Nice blog. Now fuck off.

>I'm relatively new to comics and was wondering what trades to pick up.
.... And, what? You expect me to tell you? You have Google for that. Try using it sometime, dipshit.
>>
>I'm looking at women, mainly mentally ill ones.
>>
File: wolvy.jpg (147 KB, 639x981) Image search: [Google]
wolvy.jpg
147 KB, 639x981
bumping with more marvel
>>
File: venomgirl.jpg (158 KB, 788x1013) Image search: [Google]
venomgirl.jpg
158 KB, 788x1013
>>
File: 1351921570457.jpg (79 KB, 400x730) Image search: [Google]
1351921570457.jpg
79 KB, 400x730
>>78389624
Don't listen to this homo

If you're like COMPLETELY new to comics and want to read Marvel, I'd suggest starting with Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and just keep reading until you hit Secret Wars.

Beyond that you could try Annihilation or Morrison's New X-Men. Hickman's Fantastic Four is a pretty wild ride I think. The Vision book that just started right now is also most excellent.

Also check to see if the comraderecs tumblr is still up. Last I checked that was the best place to get rec lists.
>>
>>78389815
Tell me, why must you spoonfeed? Why not encourage people to simply look up relevant material themselves?

All you're doing here is fostering a environment full of people completely ignorant of the subject matter. If you keep telling them every little thing, they won't think for themselves, and will fail to form their own opinions since someone already told them what they should think.

You think you're being nice, but you're only causing damage.
>>
File: milesspidey2.png (1 MB, 786x918) Image search: [Google]
milesspidey2.png
1 MB, 786x918
>>78389815
Thanks put those on the list.
>>
File: optimum rickards.png (31 KB, 725x515) Image search: [Google]
optimum rickards.png
31 KB, 725x515
>>78389933
Or we can just aid in their assimilation. You don't have to be such an exclusive cocksucker about it.
>>
>>78389933
I'm here to look up relevant material
>>
>>78390009
And you can't look up said relevant material on Google or some other search engine, why? Why do you have to harass people on some message board for something to read?

>>78389982
There's no point to that if the prospective new member of the community is just going to parrot the popular opinion. Again, we should be encouraging them to think for themselves. We need peers, not puppets.
>>
>>78390101
>NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: ultimatespiderman_2.jpg (65 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
ultimatespiderman_2.jpg
65 KB, 500x400
>>78390101
Because this way I can get a timely response, with active discussion, and some quality recommendations. Also, I wouldn't say it's harassing since it's an open forum that you willingly came to and could leave at your soonest convenience. Which is irrelevant clearly
>>
>>78389624
There's a difference between spoon feeding and just generally helping people get into something they want to get into.
>>
>>78390145
>active discussion,
The closest thing you'll get to a discussion on 4chan is a dozen angry nerds ymmering on about how they don't like anything. You sriously came to the wrong place for a talk.

>quality recommendations
Oh, so you really are just here to parrot popular opinion. In that case, fuck off and stop being a tool.
>>
Can anyone tell me why I should read anything about Miles? I like most spiders but reading Spider-Men really turned me off of Miles.

He was also boring as shit in Spider-Verse
>>
File: ironspider.jpg (108 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
ironspider.jpg
108 KB, 332x500
>>78390196
Yes I can see the angry yammerings, as for the parroting, I just want to know where to begin, whether I actually like it and would recommend it after that would come after actually reading it
>>
>>78389933
You still haven't gotten any hobbies Anon?
>>
>>78389624
This person is from /a/. Ignore them.
>>
>>78390280
Because Bendis is Marvel's golden boy and he will make you love Miles whether you like it or not.
>>
>>78390280
He's boring as shit always. Still hopeful for his ongoing next year though.
>>
>>78390280
I enjoyed Miles run. I guess it was nice seeing the perspective of a new spiderman who wasnt grimdark. Had a few new powers thrown in. It wasn't ground breaking but I liked it well enough
>>
>>78389933
>trying to turn /co/ into /a/
you would have had a better chance before it became /co/mblr.
>>
>>78390346
>>78390338
I guess so. Wish they wouldn't have cancelled Scarlet Spider.

>>78390361
His powers are so poorly defined. He knocked 616 Peter out in ONE hit with that Venom sting that seems electrical but travels along air/tarmac.
>>
>>78390181
No, there really isn't. If you don't do something yourself, it's not worth doing. That includes getting into comics.

>>78390284
>I just want to know where to begin
Again, how is that my obligation? Why should I help you with anything? Are you gonna pay me or something?

If you want to find something to read, just Google it.
>>
>>78390399
Mate, just because YOU don't want to help him doesn't mean OTHER PEOPLE can't. Holy shit, I get not wanting to spoonfeed but actively trying to get other people not to is so fucking pathetic. Look at yourself.
>>
File: magneto.jpg (175 KB, 1280x879) Image search: [Google]
magneto.jpg
175 KB, 1280x879
Well currently what is on my list is:
My life as a weapon Hawkeye
Old Man Logan (Secret wars)
Annihilation
New X-Men (Morrison)
>>
>>78390280
>>78390338
>>78390346
>>78390393
You people keep doing this, while failing to realize that all this is doing is inviting people like >>78390362 with open arms.

But I guess you enjoy casuals who bitch and moan about Tumblr every waking moment.

>>78390424
>Mate, just because YOU don't want to help him doesn't mean OTHER PEOPLE can't.
Not just me. Why should ANYONE "help" out casuals? All they give back in return is more whining and spewing of shitty memes. That's what the group think does to people, when you have no real opinion of your own, you're likely to just shitpost.
>>
>>78389571
Going character by character

>Spider-Man
Ben Riley hasn't had a series since the clone saga, although he appeared in one of the Spider-Verse miniserieses, "Scarlet Spiders". If you want to read Miles, just pick up Ultimate Comics Spider-Man or wait a few months for the Spider-Man series to come out (Peter is Amazing Spider-Man, Miles is just Spider-Man)

>Magneto
Magneto had a solo series before Secret Wars, where he was basically Mutant Punisher. Try that.

>Captain America
The current series isn't about Steve Rogers, so if you want to read about him, go for either Brubaker's or Reminder's Captain America. The two writers have completely different tones though, between pulp and spy fiction.

>Iron Fist
He's had two solos recently. Immortal Iron Fist and Iron Fist: The Living Weapon. They're pretty different in tone from each other, but try giving them both a shot.

>Iron Man
Hickman's New Avengers, and his own solo. I can't go into specifics, since I don't know much about him, in comparison.

>Venom
Flash Thompson Venom has a solo series coming out called " Venom: Space Knight", but if you'd prefer a more grounded series, try the Reminder series.

>Doctor Doom
Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF, as well as the current Secret Wars event. Dude's a massive Doom fanboy.

>Guardians of the Galaxy
Since the movie their popularity has exploded, giving them a team-up series, as well as their own team book. Most of the members also have their own solos of varying quality, although Gamora's has been stuck in development hell. Most of the site will tell you to stick with the DnA run and avoid Bendis's run, but if you don't know anything about the characters, you won't notice Bendis's more glaring flaws.

>Doctor Strange
Dude literally has an ongoing now.

Most of the examples I gave are recent. If you decide who you like, lurk a bit and you'll hear some older examples, most better.
>>
>>78390612
Big fan of Remender's Venom.
Scarlet Spider (2014) is another really good one.

Give both of those at least a look.
>>
File: hulk.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
hulk.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
>>
>>78390487
You're either going to really like Fraction's Hawkeye, or you're going to get really pissed after like issue 12
>>
File: daredevil machine gun.jpg (294 KB, 902x1369) Image search: [Google]
daredevil machine gun.jpg
294 KB, 902x1369
>>
>>78389571
Ms. Marvel
All New All Different Avengers
Squirrel Girl
Thor
>>
>>78391189
I've got to read Fear Itself again, I don't know how this made sense the first time I read it. Isn't Daredevil one of the biggest moralfags in Marvel, Bullseye aside?
>>
>>78391262
^this^
>>
>>78389571

If you like the cosmic side of Marvel (e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy) go back to 2006 and read all core and tie-in comics related to Annihilation.
>>
>>78389571
Do yourself a favor, don't read any current Marvel. Only stuff pre 2010.
>>
>>78394551
Bait harder.
>>
http://corecommendedcomics.wikia.com/wiki//co/_Recommended_Comics_Wiki
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.