[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honestly, how important is DEEPEST LORE for you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: csf01.jpg (22 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
csf01.jpg
22 KB, 500x375
Honestly, how important is DEEPEST LORE for you?
>>
Depends on the genre of the media I guess. Like adventure fantasies are better with deep lore, personally. And science fiction stuff.
>>
File: db.jpg (88 KB, 650x454) Image search: [Google]
db.jpg
88 KB, 650x454
i just like payoffs in series with continuity.pic unrelated i guess
>>
>>78348195
Moderately.
>>
>>78348195
Ehh. I like this >>78350071, but not stuff where I have to know the world like I lived there.
>>
File: 1448927915155.jpg (52 KB, 625x354) Image search: [Google]
1448927915155.jpg
52 KB, 625x354
>>78348195

It's not. In fact, I think it ruins stories and media.

Most classical narratives are "shallow" and "to the point" for a reason: you just don't need a lot to tell a great story.

I think the best example of this is Isaac Asimov's short's stories. Man was a genius in my opinion.

All this "everything and everyone has to have super huge long complicated back stories and deep intricate relationships!" bullshit is indicative of immaturity and lack of experience in the craft of writing, storytelling, and narrative.

We don't need to know everything about a character's life or mentality, or every tiny fact of a setting or story. These things end up becoming tedious, boring, and bloated the more we tack onto them just to satisfy our own petty, immature, childish inabilities to let go and let things remain a mystery.
>>
>>78348195
I think the problem with a lot of media that has the DEEPEST LORE is that it tries to force it down the consumers throat. Mostly because the writers dont adhere to the golden rule ( or one of them) show, dont tell.
>>
>>78348195
It can be really annoying, actually. I tried to read the first of the Shannara novels and "Dragon and the George" but crapped out on them both once I realized that I was 100+ pages into each story and the adventure still hadn't really started in earnest.
>>
It's awful for basically all American cartoons running right now
>>
>>78351516
"Dragon and the George" has nothing to do with deepest lore...it's all off-the-cuff pulp.
>>
>>78348195
It's a nice bonus. And nice fuel for discussion, too. Main entertainment, for me, comes from humour, characters, and themes; and occasionally action.
>>
>>78350501
>Isaac Asimov
>anything but a talentless hack
Read better sci-fi. He's barely a step above Heinlein.
>>
>>78348195
I enjoy lore and world building a lot. WoT was great for that.
>>
>>78348195
Lex Luthor is ginger.
>>
>>78350694
This, i like lore but i hate when the author narratively masturbates all over the story.
>>
The notion of a grander world even if its barely explored is always appreciated.
>>
>>78351794
Well, it spent so much time babbling about nothing and introducing new characters that it got really boring.
>>
>>78354415
Agreed, nothing gets my dick hard like worldbuilding.
It's why I love the Hypercrisis, it's why Frodo's gift from Galadriel is my favorite part of LotR, and it's why I love Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere.
>>
File: Braniac.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Braniac.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
Not as important as a decent pair of pants.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.