[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Knight Strikes Back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7
File: 250px-BatmanDK2.jpg (30 KB, 250x387) Image search: [Google]
250px-BatmanDK2.jpg
30 KB, 250x387
What went wrong? How did this abomination come from the man who gave us TDKR?

Did he just get lazy after sin city?
>>
List five things that are bad about TDKSA

you can't
>>
>>78317891
Dunno what you're talking about. It's fucking great.
>>
Nothing went wrong. Casuals just expected the same thing as the first installment even though Miller moved onto different things in that 15 year gap.
>>
>>78317891
The Artwork was awful. The story was insane and very, very different from the TDKR but kind of okay actually.

TDKR III #1 was quite good though it obviously was just a stepping stone for the rest of the run.
>>
>>78317919
>the superchix
>what happened to Dick
>the inking
>Batman being like All Star-Batman rather than TDKR Batman
>Wonder Woman getting pregnant after skysex,
>>
File: Capture.png (160 KB, 267x390) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
160 KB, 267x390
>>78317902
1. Miller's linework got really lazy and sloppy. Batman looks like a cross between a generic bald sin city goon and ADtKF Dwight McCarthy instead of TDKR Batman.
2. In general, his character designs became poor, and it seems like he just stopped caring, almost to the point where this is a surreal parody of TDKR, from the Nude newscasters to the frequent anime news girls he would draw (Maybe it was a satire on manga? Either way really over the top and out of place, pic related).
3. Lynn Varley shat the bed with her coloring, it was absolutely awful. This is really undisputed
4. Lots of needless full-page panels, which could be a stylistic choice, but just feels lazy like the later potions of sin city
5. In all the story just isnt as strong, but how could you follow-up such a classic

I'm convinced people claim to like this because it's the outlier compared to TDKR which is universally acclaimed
>>
>>78318191
>Lynn Varley shat the bed with her coloring, it was absolutely awful. This is really undisputed

If you don't think the Green Lantern coloring was GOAT then you don't know shit
>>
>>78318191
those are all subjective
>>
>>78318191
1. You're a nigger.
2. You're a nigger.
3. You're a nigger.
4. You're a nigger.
5. You're a nigger.
>>
>>78317891

It's awesome. Instead of going for a direct sequel, thematically, stylistically, even logically, they opted for something really strange and unique. The art and color accents the storytelling.

TDK3, with it's same old bullshit exists now so enjoy
>>
>>78319234
Be that as it may, that art style is always going to divide people. To me, it's really quite ugly at times. I still think that TDKSA was quite good storywise. Big Bos- I mean Batman as leader of a bunch of rebels was fun.
>>
>>78317902
pages 1-5
>>
>>78318191
>I'm convinced people claim to like this because it's the outlier compared to TDKR which is universally acclaimed

Pretty much. "It's so edgy! You just don't UNDERSTAND it!"
>>
storytime it if you're so great
>>
File: 1461169581158421063.jpg (453 KB, 1200x927) Image search: [Google]
1461169581158421063.jpg
453 KB, 1200x927
>>78319703
>To me, it's really quite ugly at times

Even though I like it, I don't disagree, and I know it sounds like >>78319968
>Pretty much. "It's so edgy! You just don't UNDERSTAND it!"

But that's part of the point. Miller's art taking the graphic language of cape comics to an intense, brutalist extreme.

Looking at these new promo pics he's done for TDK3 and I think he has lost it, it's too much
>>
>>78320145
#1 of TDKIII doesn't look like this though. That was just the cover of The Atom mini-comic inside the issue.
>>
>>78320145
For you.
>>
>>78320145

I did have a problem with Miller's Dick though.
>>
File: rocafort tdk3.jpg (104 KB, 632x960) Image search: [Google]
rocafort tdk3.jpg
104 KB, 632x960
>>78320236

Yeah, I was let down by Kubert's humdrum art and the boring coloring, actually enjoyed the Miller layouts in the Atom story-I dunno if he really did finished pencils for it-you think? I just meant that Superman piece and a couple others i've seen him do recently have taken that brutal aesthetic a little too far...for me.
>>
>>78318191
>1. Miller's linework got really lazy and sloppy

Stopped reading right here. Anon confirmed for shit taste with no eye for great art.
>>
>>78320332
I'm not sure, the Atom mini does look more miller-eqsue. The rest of the book looks like new 52.
>>
>>78317891
Blame 9/11, it happened whilst he was writing it, drove the poor bastard insane
>>
>>78320711
nah
Holy Terror is great, you dumb liberal.
>>
>>78320757
How?
>>
>>78317891
I think Miller just wanted to take the story further and many were just expecting a retread of TDKR. The story was obviously influenced by post 9/11 hysteria and it really obvious in rereads.

The biggest problem was the coloring. That was totally out of place and hurt the book. The lines/inks were fine and I really want to see a recoloring done ala the Killing Joke. Something closer to the original 1985 color options.
>>
File: Boys457.jpg (201 KB, 663x1019) Image search: [Google]
Boys457.jpg
201 KB, 663x1019
Can we talk about The Boys in this thread too?

Because I think The Boys is the epitome of bad writing.
>kid has all his friends brutally murdered
>murderers about to kill him too
>ask him what's the story about him and his friends
>he dumps page after page of exposition
WHAT A STORY
The absolute worst way to convey exposition. And this happens again and again in the comic. If it's supposed to be satire of cape comic exposition, it's done way too straight.

Also
>superheros are Greek gods and they constantly have orgies and rape and incest and lots of fucked up shit
>>
>>78320795
It makes you mad.
>>
>>78321026
No, it doesn't. I haven't even read it, besides, we're talking about The Dark Knight Strikes Back anyways
>>
>>78317891
>What went wrong?
Nothing.
>>
>>78321074
>backpedaling
>>
>>78321135
I literally have no idea what Holy Terror is about though.
>>
File: bravo miller.jpg (296 KB, 736x1173) Image search: [Google]
bravo miller.jpg
296 KB, 736x1173
bump.
>>
>>78320854
I'd like to see a recoloring, just to see if it fixes things.

Miller didn't just take the story further, he went all out, it was so big in fact, that Batman barely had a place in it. I think that also upsets some people.
>>
>>78321280
>I'd like to see a recoloring, just to see if it fixes things.
>>
File: 6dff300ac2.jpg (40 KB, 398x290) Image search: [Google]
6dff300ac2.jpg
40 KB, 398x290
OP here, I finished it and it continued to be awful until about the very end

what a load of crap, miller truly lost it at the turn of the century
>>
>>78320020
It would span like 10 threads and I'd hate myself by the end even more than I do for finishing it myself
>>
>>78318384
>average TDKSA fan
>>
>>78322206
What did you not like about it?
>>
Linkara was right.
>>
>>78321256

Man, there have been some bad WW iterations before, but this one might actually be the worst.
>>
They didn't focus enough on the vore storyline.
>>
>>78317891
9/11 and divorce from his wife around the same time really fucking broke Frank's spirit.

Like, really broke him.
>>
Nothing went wrong, The Dark Knight Returns was a piece of shit too.

And not because of "not muh Superman", I don't even like Superman, it's just a really boring and ugly looking book.
>>
>>78318174
Like I said, fucking great.
>>
>>78318011
nah,mate, i thought Master Race was god awful, possibly the worst comic I've read this year. admittedly, i don't read that many from the big two, but damn was that really really bad.

i remember this one being a disappointing sequel, especially the final issue and the coloring, but nowhere near as bad as Master Race, which reads like it was written over a lame weekend.
>>
>>78320957
while i agree about The Boys superfluous exposition, that book was hilarious and sometimes even heartbreaking. something Miller has forgotten how to write long ago.
>>
>>78321280
>I think that also upsets some people.

Hell I remember reviews where people complained that Batman didn't show up until the end of the first issue.
>>
Why is Brainiac working with Luthor? What could he possibly offer Brainiac to keep him interested?

inb4 a dent pair of pants
>>
>>78322789
I think it's still too early to tell if the whole run is going to be godawful. The first issue basically just gave us a glimpse of what various characters are up to.
>>
>>78323005
>Why is Brainiac working with Luthor?
They're besties.
>>
>>78323023
DK IV is going to be better
>>
>>78323023
i'd love to be proven wrong but nothing in the first issue hooked me to stick around and find out. the set-up was lame so was the art and the bit i enjoyed the most from the original series, the talking tv heads - the harlan ellison cameo was a hoot - this time around was super letdown. anyways, i'll read the rest via storytime here when it's all done. maybe.
>>
>>78323093
Aw that's cute
>>
>>78323113
yeah but will it be better than Watchmen 2: Still Watchin'?
>>
>>78323234
Yes
>>
>>78323093
I hope they were good dads to Dick then.

At least better than Batman
>>
>>78323261
>tfw we'll never see more of Batman trying and failing to be a mentor
>>
>>78323278
Miller and Lee said that they started working on that ASBAR sequel a couple months ago, but it'll take Lee at least five years to draw the first issue.
>>
>>78323317
>but it'll take Lee at least five years to draw the first issue.

Is this a joke? Lee isn't that slow, Superman Unchained came out pretty much on time I think, as does many of his recent books.
>>
>>78323501
Superman Unchained had numerous delays.
>>
>>78323746

oh lol, well I hope ASBAR comes out sooner than later.
>>
>>78323278
>tfw we didn't even see ASBAR Bruce failing to be a father
>>
>>78321256
That's great. So strong, and artsy, so ugly it becomes beautiful, you can almost feel her feminazi sandy vagina.
It's a sublime piece of art.
Thanks Miller.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.