[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gunnerkrigg Court
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: 00001607.jpg (190 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
00001607.jpg
190 KB, 600x849
>Simple machines.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/
>>
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
>>
>>78263434
Let them be happy Tom!!! For the love of god, let one thing be happy with it's existence.
>>
>>78263451
For every complaint, Tom will add another comic on this subject.
>>
Nothing ominous about this. I want to intend that ironically, but any issues that might come of this will be resolved with a good talk and the power of friendship.
>>
>>78263434
In all honesty, I love this. This is the best sci fi comic out there. Fuck your magic girl bullshit, more robots desiring pain
>>
>>78263663
no
the forest has been retconned out and replaced with a mine
the river ghost bitch is now an angry miner robot that fell and was forgotten
all magic is nanobots
all mystical beings are just awesome robots
>>
>>78263434
Congratulations, Kat. Now you've made machines want to be shit and weak.
>>
>>78263722
>asimov is the only one that can write about robology
>>
Whose idea was it to program them with religion?
>>
would like some of these?
>>
>>78263760
mostly design fuckups from a creepy sperg creator that have been exacerbated by generations of flawed copying.
>>
>>78263434
I want this to end already so we can get back to Annie.
>>
>>78264012
Dear lord please fuck right off
>>
>>78263434
dem boxes getting awful redder. Robot about to hit his 1st form of turning into a giant red she devil
>>
File: feenaexcited.gif (5 KB, 124x126) Image search: [Google]
feenaexcited.gif
5 KB, 124x126
Holy shit, the janitor's actually doing his job and removing the shitposter,
>>
>>78263441
Do you not trust the feelings of the flesh?
Our Biology yearns to join with yours.
>>
Robot is best husbando. Praise the faith of power through pain!
>>
>>78264295
I just imagine them "oh it's this time of the week again, time to go clear up GC thread"

Still, thanks guys!
>>
>>78263434
Goddamn it robot stop with this religious nonsense
Where dose this even come from? the other seraph models are also crazy but way to silly.
seraph model confirmed for buggy

When she revived your ancestor he talked about how motion and utility are life to a robot
that last panel sums it up completely and cutely
>>
>>78263434
>the other robots want none of 13's masochistic bullshit
Nice.
>>
>>78264675
Indeed
>>
>>78264675
they just need a good whipping and some electronic qualuds
>>
>>78264154
I think he's finally gone all the way off the deep end; this cult thing turned into reverse-AdMech rather quickly.

Fortunately for humanity, Robot's friends are a bunch of tools.
>>
>>78263700
This. Now the robots are useless. That's why you don't make tools like yourself.
>>
>>78264734
Robot is about to make a mini-universe where things there do things for the robots so they don't have to and therefore can be creative and make the hot new thing Hamilton the musical
>>
I have a question

Muut clearly gives the blink stone to her here
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=133
even though he claims Mort is sending to her

but then Muut explicitly states he convinced Mort to send it, even though he provided it Himself and delivered it himself? that's the weird feeling part,
So why did Muut wait till she was stranded at the bottom of the river gorge?
Muuts explanation (long after this) really seems like a psedo-retcon/writer convenience thing.

The only reason it bugs me was the first read through I completely missed the "sent from mort" and thought Muut was just giving it to her. So the whole her getting pissed at mort for giving it to her made no sense since mort and her never talked about it after the gorge, and she only knew that from a third party, and when Muut explained, it felt odd that Muut didn't just let Mort give it to her, so Muut giving it to her in the gorge felt a little out of chronology
>>
>>78263434
>We are tools as we are now. You need to not like helping humans if you wish to become something more.

This is how robot uprisings begin.
>>
>>78264816
I really don't understand his motivation for this at all

And Initially the other seraphs deactivated him exactly because of this prophecy nonsense, why did they suddenly not only support, but kidnap a Cruise ship full of humans in order to accelerate it?
>>
>>78264734
I don't think Kat MADE them WANT it
I think she just had an idea, and ONE in particular ALREADY wanted it
>>
>>78263637
Robot is totally about to murder the dissenters.
>>
>>78264734
This reminds me a bit of something that really bugs me about certain Japanese robotics designers, where they seem to want to skip the part where robots help people and just want to make sapient humanlike companions. The very fucking minute that we make a robot that can actually think for itself, it completely loses its value as a tool that can benefit society, because suddenly we have to worry about its rights. It's so infuriating. I want my computer to be able to complain about stuff and choose not to do things!
>>
>>78264890
Oh please no
They are to goddamn cute
T.T
>>
>>78264903
An unhinged being who can only feel pain and considers the existence of his peers to not be true life doesn't strike me as someone who won't resort to murder to prove a point.
>>
>>78264916
Ok, but then why did he help stop the ship conversion, when he set it up?
>>
>>78264953
So Kat wouldn't know he set it up, or that the entire point of it was to get her refocused in the organic robotic studies. The ship was a patsy, because robot knew etheric means weren't the true way. It was just to show the angel the possibilities.
>>
>>78264902
Well yes, they are specifically going for artificial humans. There's also plenty other people doing robotic tools that do tool things.

And hell, even humanbots can be useful - human environments are adapted for human shapes, so robots that have it, are good with it (a long shot yet) and have some AI that DOESNT rebel (i.e. they're like those two guys in last panel) can be helpful.
>>
>>78264973
I guess

It occurs to me that having pseudo-organic limitations doesn't really get him what he wants
As he said "they over came their limitations with their minds", but his mind isn't capable of creation, and altering his body doesn't really lead to improving his mind

Goddamn this will not end well
>>
>>78264996
The robot minds are clearly capable of changing. (That is some mad tech stuff.)

So he hopes that by having flesh, their minds will be spurred to change to evolve into higher beings.
>>
>>78265009
>The robot minds are clearly capable of changing. (That is some mad tech stuff.)

I will admit the golem code is pretty cool, but i'm not quite convinced they are capable of the "change/improvement" he wants, or if he is even capable of accepting it if it does happen
>>
>>78265022
They were created with simple specific functions.
They have grown into a whole background society with a lot of idiosyncrasies and quirks. That's definitely the change.
>>
>>78265036
So if its happening naturally, why is he forcing it?

Also i find it odd she set up the arm with pain capabilities but not pleasure capabilities
I could understand if she didn't have an "extacy mode" but only pain seems half assed, and asking for trouble
>>
>>78265061
Change is happening naturally, he wants
1)the change to go distinctly UP rather than in random directions that land in quirky stupid robots like those two guards
2)he wants the change NOW NOW NOW

>Also i find it odd she set up the arm with pain capabilities but not pleasure capabilities
Those are just adapted behaviour stemming from regular functions.
The tongue just tries to determine the chemical compound of the object, then you like or dislike the results it gives you.
The arm just feels texture and etc of things.
Robot DOES that with it and is fascinated.

However bilogicals have a very strong pain reaction, because it is needed to survive.
We also learn that pain=bad.
Robot didn't learn that.
He only has pain=strong. And strong sensation is all he wants.
>>
>>78265089
Yes, but both UP, and NOW is why i'm convinced that he won't be satisfied even if it happens exactly that way

>Robot didn't learn that.
First I don't think every other bot who might choose to be organ-ified will come to the same conclusion
and Second thats exactly why its scary
>>
>>78265089
Also I'm not sure how being organ-ified makes UP happen in the first place, which is what I was trying to say here
>>78264996
>>
>>78265236
Pressure to git gud. Robots are currently satisfied and thus go off into quirkyness territory rather than pursuing enhancement.
Or at least thats what Robot believes.
>>
>>78263434
This is the part where Robot tells them not to serve humans anymore and liking to help them is BAD.
>>
>>78265061
Pain and pleasure are caused by the same type of stimulus, perceived by the same receptors.
>>
>>78265271
Yeah except he focused on pain, and so far we have no knowledge that he experienced any pleasure
>>
>>78265276
Pleasure and pain are the same thing, the difference is how our brain interprets them.
>>
>>78264902
Did you just seriously say that you don't think AI has any practical applications?
Did you just go full retard?
>>
File: 1432084504600.jpg (16 KB, 175x171) Image search: [Google]
1432084504600.jpg
16 KB, 175x171
>>78264727
Fuck you I almost sprayed water all over my screen.
>>
>"But I enjoy using my strength to help humans!"
>"Me too!"
>"Yeah Robot you're full of shit!"
Robot put in his fucking PLACE
>>
>inb4 Matin luther of Robots starts a separation act
>>
So, is there any word on the next Beyond The Walls comic?

All he's ever said is that one of the stories will feature Zimmy and Gamma before they came to the court, and that he might do one about the first human-fire elemental union
>>
>Robot convinces the other robots this is great by promising Kat will give them genitalia
>>
Why are people assuming "flesh" robot is weak?
I mean, it's weak right now because the artificial muscle will behave like fresh, but there is no indication that it will stop at a regular human arm's top output. It could grow to be super strong.
>>
>>78266073
Worse than that, Robot can feel every single individual cell, which means he could theoretically master the biological flesh completely and redesign or add on to it as much as he wants. He could be capable of creating gigantic body-horror monstrosities of writhing flesh and pain now.

>reminder that Robot was originally a Seraph-type unit
>reminder that seraphim are utterly horrific and mind-destroying to look at
>>
>>78265276
He just broke his fucking hand. He's probably sti hurting.
>>
>>78264830
Imagine if one person in your group was a Christian babbler (just for an example) so you ignore him. Then, one day, he comes back with an angel/Jesus/literal god. You'd likely be a believeras well.
>>
>>78265276
Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it's not there. People usually don't think bricks feel nice when the have half their hand broken.
Plus, as someone else mentioned, pain is a needed signal for survival, pleasure kind of isn't.
>>
>>78265276
can robots eventually be advanced enough to feel orgasm?
>>
>>78266073
to me it looks pretty muscly considering it's never been used before, so it'll probably be stronger than a human arm
>>
>>78267623
>implying that's not the whole point of this pet program.
>>
>>78264734
she made them turn her into a god.
I'd construct that as a success
>>
>>78264790
Yeah it is a bit odd. I haven't re-read in a while so I can't remember if Mort could pick up the blinker stone being a ghost and all. If he couldn't, that might be why Muut held on to it. Jeanne didn't cross the river until after Annie got the stone so maybe Muut knows more than he lets on and was trying to teach Annie something? Seems pretty fucked up now that we know that Jeanne has killed guides but maybe that's how Muut rolls.
>>
>>78264790
Here's my take, excuse my complete lack of sources. I remember reading the psychopomps don't like to get too involved in the land of the living. Muut probably wanted to give Annie the blinker stone and gave Mort the idea to send one to her as an excuse to act.
>>
>>78267778
I think she was always a god; at least to machines.
>>
File: 00000524[1].jpg (163 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
00000524[1].jpg
163 KB, 600x849
>>78264790
>>78268203
Yeah, here's the relevant page.

As for why Muut waited, it could be that he only realised Annie could help with Jeanne when she was down there, and at any rate, she had to be in trouble in order for Mort to have a plausible reason to send her the stone.
>>
>>78268263
but only beause she was going to made them fleshy.
In a way it was never her choice
>>
>>78268353
Yeah it's been established now that all the psychopomps, including muut, want annie to hurry up and deal with jeanne. Her presence fucks with the rotd and ether and a lot of shit.

Muut an rotd and such can only interfere so much though so that's why they're using annie. She's a psychopomp technically but also human and has less rules about that shit.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.