[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get into New 52
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: guide-to-the-dc-new-52.jpg (149 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
guide-to-the-dc-new-52.jpg
149 KB, 570x300
Hey /co/. It's been a long time since a read a DC comic book, the last thing i read was Trinity War like 2 o 3 years ago when it came out. I used to be a really big fan, and be up to date with the comics, but after Flashpoint i never picked up a single comic again (i wasn't into that rebbot thing). But, i've heard and read that things are getting good now, and that the New 52 suppousedly ended in June after.. Convergence i think it's called, also i hear that there would be (or idk if it already happen) a fight between the AM and Darkseid. Anyway, i wanna get into DC again, but it's been 3 years since i read anything from DC so idk where to start. What should i read? Should i just get into an ongoing series or should i read convergence, or.. where do i start?

TL;DR: It's been 3 years since i picked up a DC comic, want to get up to date. What should i read?
>>
>>78260687
You should probably read Forever evil and pick up from there
>>
>>78260687

There's been good DC comics ever since the start of the New 52. What characters or genres are you interested in specifically?
>>
>>78260724

Honestly, I would recommend Trinity War too. It gets shit on only because the build-up to it ended up being completely different from what we got out of the event, and it leads directly into Forever Evil, but also spins out into the Blight War arc of Justice League Dark which is pretty great and lets you read the Phantom Stranger series which is REALLY legitimately great.
>>
The main Convergence book was shit but many of the tie-ins were good. Go through and pick whichever ones look interesting if you want.

New 52 continuity didn't end, but they stopped using it as a marketing slogan. Whole thing is kind of pointless to acknowledge since it doesn't mean anything besides that logo not being on comic covers.

Grayson has been good.
>>
>>78260687
Okay i never did a rec list in my life but here it goes
>Grayson if you love good characterization and spy shit and a good supporting cast
>Batman is good but the joker arcs have been shit for the most part
>Only read GL while Johns is writing then get straight to the renegade arc
>Omega man if you want a legit good space opera comic
>JL is gets when the aquaman arc starts, darkseid war has been slow but it had a lot of hype moments
>Teen titans doesent exist
>Only read Earth 2 when robison is writing
>Read action comics when Pak enters
i would also recommend Prez and midnighter because they are great
>>
>>78260751
>>78260724
So after Trinity War comes Forever Evil? A while back i read about Convergence on an internet article and it said that i came after Forever Evil or Future's End (i can't remember and i haven't read them so idk lol), so if it's Forever Evil, should i read Forever Evil, then Convergence, and then just read the ongoing series?

>>78260780
But is it mandatory to read Convergence to understand what's going on right now in the DC Universe?

>>78260725
Well my favourite characters have always been Superman and The Flash, i also like GL Ga and stuff like that. Is it any mandatory read of any of them?
>>
File: 1327368458655.jpg (22 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1327368458655.jpg
22 KB, 320x240
Just pick up the #1's you like and read from there

DUH!!!
>>
>>78260833
Thanks!
Wait, Teen Titans doesn't exist? Really? But, the members of the Titans still exist right? Dc wouldn't take such importatn characters out..
>>
>>78260859
>But is it mandatory to read Convergence to understand what's going on right now in the DC Universe?
Not really, not even the writer knew what he was doing
>>
>>78260859
>But is it mandatory to read Convergence to understand what's going on right now in the DC Universe?

Not really, it was a filler event published while DC was moving office buildings. Just know that we have infinite universes again though the local multiverse with 52 worlds is still intact. Some characters from Convergence have appeared in other books but that main book was so incomprehensible that the two panel recaps you'll see with their appearances will provide more useful information than actually reading the event.
>>
>>78260896
Its because it sucks more than anything i can think about, jesus fuck, at least pak is going to write then now
>>
>>78260687
>How to get into New 52
You start in 1938 and end in 2011.
>>
>>78260905
>>78260911
But is it still worth the read or shoul i just avoid it?

Also, what's the thing with the AM and Darkseid fighting? Did it already happen?
>>
>>78260986
The main book isn't worth it but some of the minis are ok.

Darkseid vs Anti-Monitor is a Justice League arc titled Darkseid War. It's still going on, started around #40 I think.
>>
>>78260976
>You start in 1938 and end in 2011
Depends if he want to start in the post crisis or the pos zero hour universe
>>
>>78260859
>Well my favourite characters have always been Superman and The Flash, i also like GL Ga and stuff like that. Is it any mandatory read of any of them?

>Superman
Morrison and Pak's runs on Action Comics are worth reading. Johns' work on the main Superman series is also good.

>Flash
Manapul/Buccelatto's run from the start of the Flash series to #29 is pretty good. Not the best Flash storyline, but the art's gorgeous and it's got some good character work in there.
>>
>>78261013

Yes, it started at #40, but the whole stretch of Justice League from Forever Evil to Amazo Virus and then the start of Darkseid War is really good shit and builds on itself to lead up to the DW storyline.
>>
Ok Thanks everybody, already have and idea of waht to pick up to start getting into DC again, but for now i gotta sleep, gotta work in a few hours.
>>
Don't forget to read Multiversity.
>>
>>78260687
Dial H
>>
>>78261052
There are also some pretty good one shots that tie into Darkseid War

The GL issue is amazing
>>
>>78260833
>>Only read Earth 2 when robison is writing

This. Only read the first two trade volumes of Earth 2, as soon as you get to the "WAR" issue, drop that shit because it never goes anywhere worth reading after that point.
>>
Books that are good:

Grayson
Batman
Green Arrow Vols 4-6
Action Comics 1-3, 5, 7
Omega Men
Swamp Thing
Red Lanterns Vols 4-5
Catwoman Vols 6-7
Gotham Academy/Gotham by Midnight
Midnighter
Prez
Animal Man

Stuff to avoid at all costs:
Anything Teen Titans
Most of Suicide Squad
Red Hood
Most of Green Arrow (outside of what I listed above)
Most of Catwoman
Most of Superman (outside of Geoff Johns)
The weeklies (Futures End/Batman Eternal/World's End)
>>
>>78261988
Paktion comics, Morrison's Action comics and Lois and Clark are good too.
>>
>>78260687
Multiversity has been the best thing to come out of the new 52. definitely read that.
>>
>>78261988
>not recommending Aquaman
Tsk.
>>
>>78264372
Is not a new52 book
>>
>>78264419
Even if it didn't come with the label, it's still post Flashpoint.
>>
>>78264419
Yes it is.

It shows what the phrase "new 52" actually means.
>>
This is a mite out of date, mind. Then again, DCYou techincally isn't under the "New 52" label, so it's not too bad.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.