[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will happen if Disney buys out Shonen Jump like they did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 19
File: Weekly_Shonen_Jump.png (560 KB, 400x606) Image search: [Google]
Weekly_Shonen_Jump.png
560 KB, 400x606
What will happen if Disney buys out Shonen Jump like they did with Marvel?
>>
>>78218070
It'll become a highly commercialized powerhouse that slowly loses what bit of soul is left in it and this development will be cheered on by billions of consumers.
>>
>>78218070
Why has there been so much anime shit on here today? The entire Good Fights thread was derailed by weebs who couldn't accept that people don't share their taste and circlejerking over the lack of color in their funnybooks.
>>
An attempt to adapt One Piece into a big budget live action movie franchise that will fail disastrously because there's too much there to condense down to a few movies and actually tell a complete story.
>>
Nothing. Tinkering with the model will just cause people to jump ship to the countless other options.
>>
>>78218874
They'd just make a One Piece cinematic universe
>>
>>78218913

Which would, theoretically start with a One Piece movie, right? If you start from Luffy meeting Koby where do you end the first movie? Arlong is too far, there's too much to cover, and nothing else in the East Blue is an appropriate stopping point.
>>
>>78218070
Japanese companies can't be bought out by foreign companies. some law
>>
>>78218913
How does that even work? One Piece is mostly just the gang with a few excursions into other characters and flashbacks.
There's too much story with them alone, even if you do spin off their prequels and side stories.
>>78218945
I was going to say Don Kreig and leave Arlong as a set up to the sequel but the movie feels way too fucking cumbersome if you're going through the first three castmates joining on.
>>
>>78218945

It's gonna suck but they'd condense the stories. I haven't read the series but I've played PW3. If you had to choose a stopping point, and if you HAD to do it.

The prologue would get glossed over.
A lot of events would get skipped over. Expect some of your favorites to get dropped. If One Piece were to be made today in a cinematic universe I don't even see Buggy being recognizable by the time a major studio is done with him. Characters and arcs are gonna get dropped. Big bad of the first movie is gonna end up being Smoker and their first major encounter with the marines.
>>
DON'T EVEN JOKE
>>
>>78218186
>that slowly loses what bit of soul is left

HA!
because shounen comics have souls
>>
File: 1448878500728.gif (3 MB, 445x247) Image search: [Google]
1448878500728.gif
3 MB, 445x247
>>78218186
>that slowly loses what bit of soul is left
>>
>>78218070
Japanesse laws prevents their businesses from being bought off by foreign business.
>>
They can't. Owning Marvel already prevent them to buy another comic company under monopoly laws.
>>
>>78218186
>soul
Dude, Shonen Jump is corporation more souless than Marvel. At Marvel at least some editors know what they're doing, at SJ they just follow this plan:
a) Notice manga is getting popular
b) force the creator to change it to fit more into the house formula of Battle Manga like Dragon Ball
c) Make author bring most popular characters to the spotlight.
d) Make him drag it out as much as possible.
>>
File: image.png (182 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.png
182 KB, 640x360
>>78219213
>didn't watch the source material before playing the game

End your self
>>
>>78219396

I am killing it as Marco right now and there is nothing you can do to stop me my man.
>>
>>78218874
Only way I can see it working is if they create an entirely different story but with the same characters and themes. They would probably need to wait for the manga to actually finish to know what absolutely *has* to be in it and what can be safely cut, though.
>>
File: 1271834468646.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1271834468646.jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
>Disney buying Jump
>implying Oda wouldn't just buy Disney
>>
>>78219688

Is Oda that big of a deal? I doubt he's got more riches than Disney.
>>
>>78219705
Not big as Disney for sure, but isn't he like most richest comic creator in the world?
>>
>>78218274

>Look up thread
>Like 10 fights posted

goddammit we're on an imageboard
>>
>>78219705
>Is Oda that big of a deal?
He's currently writing the highest selling manga EVER beating out Golgo 13 by 40mil, Dragon Ball at third by 90mil. If you combined the 8th, 9th, and 10th top sellers in history they wouldn't equal One Piece in sales.

He's Jump's Messiah.

They value him so much they FORCE him to take breaks for fear he'll work himself into an early grave, and thus stop making them ludicrous dosh.
>>
>>78219826

They should stop him from smoking. If the info is true, he smokes a lot.

Actually, they should place him in a bunker, with guards, because the exterior has many threats. He is still like 10 years from finishing the story.
>>
File: 1440670867748.jpg (155 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
1440670867748.jpg
155 KB, 640x720
>>78218070
I really hope they don't tamper with it and it just means quicker adaptations of manga and anime. Localization bullshit needs to die, except for a few exceptions, but really theres no reason for calling a rice ball a doughnut anymore or anything in the like.
>>
File: 1423478372546.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1423478372546.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
>>78218874
The irony is that the pirates of the Caribbean movies started out as a One Piece live action adaptation but seeing as the anime spiraled and died here around that time I can see why they decided to just go with the "ride" as if it really has much to do with the ride. Oh and its just a rumor I heard not sure if its actually true.
>>
File: 1437892593321.gif (677 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1437892593321.gif
677 KB, 500x281
>>78219892
Yeah I agree. I didn't know oda smoked. I was just talking to my friend about that yesterday. The thought of having 10 or 15 more years of One Piece is exciting yet terrifying at the prospect that Oda might not finish it no question.
>>
>>78219927
If you're going to translate a children's cartoon, you're going to have to translate the names (English speaking kids can't remember names lake tanimoto and kawasaki) and the themesong.
>>
File: jojo bruno look down.jpg (121 KB, 475x423) Image search: [Google]
jojo bruno look down.jpg
121 KB, 475x423
wouldnt happen
>>
>>78218945
You know that the Disney/Marvel movies aren't 100% direct adaptations right?

Hold up the Age of Ultron comic while watching the Age of Ultron movie and you might notice that some things are slightly off.
>>
I was thinking that Disney wouldn't purchase something that would probably tank after OP was done.

OP basically keeps Shueisha employed.
>>
File: mixed.jpg (80 KB, 740x529) Image search: [Google]
mixed.jpg
80 KB, 740x529
>>78219998
That's one of the reasons One Piece is so popular around the world, like Dragon Ball, it doesn't really use japanese names, each character through Oda is a different nationality, and there name/names of techniques kinda reflect their nationality.
>>
>>78220112
Isn't that the same that happened with Dragon Ball and Akira Toriyama?
Anyway, their way of doing bussines will mean that they will find other succeful author.
>>
>>78220205
It more feels like they struck gold than found Dragon Ball's successor.
>>
>>78218945
I'd rearrange things a little bit and probably combine a few arcs. Koby would stick around till at least the end of the movie and I'd have it end on Buggy.
>>
>>78219393
I still think it is better than rehashing the same stories over and over again forever.
>>
>>78219892
>>78219988
I hate smoke smell but I can't deny that stress might be a much bigger issue that tobacco. At least you don't get second hand stress by air vents...
>>
File: hfgm.png (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hfgm.png
149 KB, 640x480
I think Disney or Pixar could make a killer 3D Naruto movie if they had the chance.
>>
>>78219998
Children memorizing all those pokemons are the living proof that you are wrong. They know their names, their attacks, etc. Children can memorize a lot of stuff from hobbies to comics. I feel like my memory was much better as a kid since I actually had more time to dedicate to things I liked and could sleep more.
>>
>>78220551
That's not the entire point though.

First of all, if this needs to be said, children memorize pokemon names in their NATIVE language (we're talking about English speakers troubles with Japanese names). English pokemon names are MUCH easier for English kids to remember the Japanese pokemon names.

Anyway, mainly : Japanese names aren't really consistent with English pronounciation. For example, they can end in "eh" sounds which common names in the Anglosophere don't do and even begin with "tsu". The voice actors also each have their own little way of pronouncing the name for example "sasuke" might be "saskeh" or "saskay".

Japanese names are also easier too mix up for us English speakers, I remember a anime fanatic friend of mine recommend Clannad to a bunch of my other friends, one of those people told me how she really like it, I can't remember the story details exactly, but she accidentally said the white haired female character was hot when she obviously meant the blue haired MC.

Finally, the most important point is that while they may be hard to articulate, in our native language, different names have different "feelings", for example I might feel "wolfrick" is a good name for a boy and gives a bit of an earthy feeling, whereas "emily" is okay name for a girl with a suburban touch... We talk about names fitting a person's character. I'm not sure how to explain this in better detail, but the names can enhance the story and seem to help me remember the names a little better. (obviously, we don't have these connections for Japanese names)
>>
>>78220495
>3D movie
Why do you hate Naruto so much, anon?
>>
>>78219393
>At Marvel at least some editors know what they're doing, at SJ they just follow this plan:
>know what they're doing
Riiiiiiiiiiiight
>>
>>78220721
How does any of this apply to one piece?
>>
File: 1411434269738.jpg (120 KB, 741x468) Image search: [Google]
1411434269738.jpg
120 KB, 741x468
>>78220219
Remember that One Piece, Naruto and Bleach were called the Big Three of Shonen Jump for a reason. There's a reason an anthology magazine is better for new ideas and DC/Marvel really need to focus on new anthologies
>>
>>78218070
Remember Power Rangers?
Remember when it was in Disney's hands and then left to rot?
Remember how Saban got the rights back and then made it worse?

Exactly the same
>>
>>78220777
Nice trips. I wasn't replying to a post about onepiece though.
>>
>>78220802
>Remember how Saban got the rights back and then made it worse?

Debatable
>>
>>78218070
MORE HIATUSES
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 431x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 431x431
>>78220721
>First of all, if this needs to be said, children memorize pokemon names in their NATIVE language
They didn't made spanish/portuguese/french/whatever names that I know and kids from my country memorized them anyway if anything they just modified slightly the name of a few of them.

>Anyway, mainly : Japanese names aren't really consistent with English pronounciation. For example, they can end in "eh" sounds which common names in the Anglosophere don't do and even begin with "tsu". The voice actors also each have their own little way of pronouncing the name for example "sasuke" might be "saskeh" or "saskay".
It is much worse for us with English as your vowels never have consistent sounds.

>Japanese names are also easier too mix up for us English speakers, I remember a anime fanatic friend of mine recommend Clannad to a bunch of my other friends, one of those people told me how she really like it, I can't remember the story details exactly, but she accidentally said the white haired female character was hot when she obviously meant the blue haired MC.
Oh noes! Someone made a mistake! It obviously never happens if it was in another language!

>Finally, the most important point is that while they may be hard to articulate, in our native language, different names have different "feelings", for example I might feel "wolfrick" is a good name for a boy and gives a bit of an earthy feeling, whereas "emily" is okay name for a girl with a suburban touch... We talk about names fitting a person's character. I'm not sure how to explain this in better detail, but the names can enhance the story and seem to help me remember the names a little better. (obviously, we don't have these connections for Japanese names)
Again means nothing on other languages and we use english names just fine! I guess you americans are too used to have everything in English and can't work with anything that doesn't sounds english.

Picture related. It is eggspike!
>>
>>78220848
>Oh noes! Someone made a mistake! It obviously never happens if it was in another language!
not sure what you're saying. Native English speakers don't mix up "Alfred" and "Alfrick" or "Edward" and "Edmond".
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 392x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 392x375
>>78220868
Oh they do, a lot. So much that it is a common trope in media. And it is also common in real life too in any language. They do this a lot in my country too although it is more common with certain specific names even if they are supposed to be regular names like the equivalent of Richard/Robert/Roger/etc.
>>
>>78220723
3D animation is the best for facial expression at least
>>
>>78220792
in the 90s DC/Marvel were all about that shit
where do you think guys like Static Shock came from?
I think these cinematic universes are hurting the comics a bit
>>
>>78220951
It is creating a stagnant system that is bad for new ideas. Even static shock was still in the same universe as other heroes. We need different stories in different settings with different themes.
>>
>>78220965
Static originally wasn't part of the DC universe, he was a Milestone Universe character. The thing is all of these imprints like Vertigo and WildStorm got phased out and merged into the main universes.
>>
>>78221002
Why not a story in a magical world instead of modern times with superpowers?

Why not a story in an an alternate history?

Why not a story without superpowers?

They are stagnant in the same mold. There are a few comics that doesn't fit the mold but they are too busy milking dry the big names instead of investing in new stuff.
>>
>>78221066
aaaah fuck I'm trying to remember one which had a bad end where the protagonist and his pet companion are beaten to death and thrown off a cliff by the antagonist
can't remember the name but I'm sure it was an imprint
possibly marvel
>>
>>78218070
Then the Deviluke girls of To Love Ru technically count as Disney Princesses
>>
>>78221087
Will this get any form of visibility like a movie/series/whatever?
>>
>>78219393
That's the day I'm dreading for the Hero Academia anime becoming popular. Because that manga is a damn good shonen with a few twists in it.
>>
>>78219826
Oda is like the Anti-Togashi, Togashi can't get work done because his either sick or just plain lazy, likely the former. Oda however can't stop working and needs to take like a month's vacation just to relax.
>>
>>78221099
hell no, typical western fans just want to see more capes flying around saving the day, which I don't mind personally but yeah you want see a protagonist miserably fail in a modern comic film anytime soon
I mean there was Road to Perdition but that was the opposite of typical fantasy. It was played as a typical mobster film
>>
File: bugged drinking mechanics.jpg (27 KB, 956x535) Image search: [Google]
bugged drinking mechanics.jpg
27 KB, 956x535
>>78221122
holy shit I used "typical" too much in this post
>>
>>78218070

Their more famous series continue forever, for as long as they make money. Old classic series are revamped for new audiences and milked for many years to come.
Japanese readers stop reading because the company is not japanese anymore.
>>
>>78219968
Thats false.

It did, however, start out as a screenplay for a Monkey Island flick. Barbossa was LeChuck, Elizabeth was Elaine, and I'm assuming Guybrush got seperated into Depp and Blooms roles.
>>
>>78218186
That was true back when disney was doing all those direct to video movies. But they kinda stopped doing that. Now they're focusing on quality.
>>
>>78219393
>b) force the creator to change it to fit more into the house formula of Battle Manga like Dragon Ball
This is just not true. Once a manga gets popular the author pretty much can do whatever he wants to do with it. It is early on when the editors meddle the most.
>>
>>78221437
>Their more famous series continue forever, for as long as they make money. Old classic series are revamped for new audiences and milked for many years to come.
>Implying that isn't what's happening already
>>
>Series like Kochikame, Psi nan, and that weird samurai manga are cancelled for being too Japanese
>To Love Ru rebranded into an all-ages Tenchi Muyo
>Naruto Shippuden returns to Disney channel, with maximum censorship
>Crossovers with Marvel and Star Wars everywhere
>One Piece gets its own permanent section in Disneyworld
>>
>>78220438
Those things you think are good? They stopped Toriyama from doing a tonm of cool shit with dbz
>>
>>78219826
>>78219892
Didn't he even run into health problems last year because he worked himself too hard?
>>
>>78218070
Perfect thread. Anyone else despise One Piece nowadays? It's so fucking boring, stale, and uninspired. Really got sick of the formulaic bullshit of different island arcs. Plus the characters just got more annoying with their gimmicks:

Luffy - Loud retard

Nami - Unaccountable bitch who can beat up any guy and NEVER dares to beat up Robin because that woman would beat her back. She isn't held back by chivalry.

Sanji - White Knight Faggot who ought to be castrated.

Zoro - White Knight Faggot in the closet who likes to boast about being macho yet if his opponent is a woman he will refuse to truly fight.

Usopp - Coward who still refuses to show courage like he's supposed to be working on.

Chopper - Lame moeblob franchise mascot.

Robin - Boring plot device to explain Lost Century ponyglyph.

Franky - Uninteresting.

Brooke - Annoying.

With a cast like this? The villains are ten times more interesting most of the time. And it hurts to see them lose to such lame asses.
>>
>>78219090
Found J-Disney, buy SJ with its money, expatriate the corporation to an intermediary country, then sell to parent company.

Or:

Found J-Disney, buy SJ, J-Disney does corporate inversion of parent company. They'd only do this one if corporate tax rates are lower in Japan than the US, though.
>>
File: 1440137450127.jpg (49 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1440137450127.jpg
49 KB, 625x626
>>78222183
>Implying Godsopp isn't based now
>Franky - Uninteresting.

1/10 I replied
>>
>>78222183
>who likes to boast about being macho yet if his opponent is a woman he will refuse to truly fight.

And yet his whole motivation was that he couldn't beat a girl and so he vowed to become the strongest swordsman in the world.

If she was still alive, what then Zoro? "ok, you can be the strongest, Kuina, I won't fight back"
>>
File: 1366802446777.jpg (28 KB, 363x310) Image search: [Google]
1366802446777.jpg
28 KB, 363x310
>>78222183
>>
You guys are kinda ignorant, they can't buy Shonen Jump, Jump is a label, Shueisha is the publisher. They'd have to buy a(probably) near billion dollar publisher(that does lifestyle magazines,novels,etc) to own one magazine.

And this would ruin a part of the industry because most manga is creator owned to an extent. Disney owning anything would ruin that.
>>
>>78222275
That's exactly what makes Zoro look so much like a joke. It would be bad if he was a regular guy who would gladly accept being killed by a female foe. But given his past and ambition is tied to surpassing a female swords woman and he refuses to truly and actually fight females (unless they're mannish and hideous)? It just makes him look too pathetic.

In retrospect should have seen this coming because it was Zoro who was whining and complaining and begging Enel "How could you hurt a woman!" What a lame ass he turned out to be.

The worst incident being the Monet incident where Tashigi actually and truly put Monet down for the count yet Zoro declared that it was HIS victory implying Tashigi did nothing to defeat Monet. What an arrogant pompous douchebag and a colossal hypocrite. Some macho man.
>>
>>78222183
The characters points some I can agree with and some I don't.

But what I find most annoying is how their just rehashing old plots into the "New World". Oh look we're going to create a New Arlong this time UNDERWATER!

Oh look we're going to create Alabasta 2.0 but this time with a more flamboyant villian!!!!
>>
Well, let's see.

Japan has some very strict policies in place. In order for a foreign company to buy a Japanese one, the purchasing party has to prove that the purchase will create X amount of Japanese jobs.

Now, for Disney, this could mean several things. They could create a Japanese animation studio exclusively to adapt Shonen Jump series, though I don't know the details of SJ's deal with Toei, so that might not be feasible. Another possibility is a SJ theme park, possibly in that soon to be abandoned Naval Base.

And, of course, there's nothing saying Disney can't use the opportunity for their own cross-brand synergy: imagine using SJ to spin off a Marvel Japan imprint. Heck, Japanese comics don't really get into shared universes, so just seeing creators go nuts with the concept might be worth seeing alone.

One thing's for sure, Disney probably won't interfere in the creation of the actual manga/anime very much. They've been smart enough to know when to back off with Marvel and Star Wars and what parts need their patented brand of Disney marketing magic.
>>
>>78222361
Holy hell this post is spot on. Alabasta 2.0 aka Dress Rosa was such a disappointment. That stupid tournament wasted too many chapters. Despised Vivi 2.0 aka that Pink Haired Gladiator Skank though to be fair Vivi was always an annoying shitty character as well. And the villains went down far too quickly leading to no tension. And didn't care for Trafalgar Law too much and much less for Kyros.
>>
>>78222343
Disney spent $4 billion on Star Wars alone.

I'm not saying it will happen, but being a billion dollar publisher won't stop Disney if they see enough dollar signs in the near future.
>>
>>78222499
They also spent $4 Bil on Marvel. So yeah, a billion for something that will pay for itself is chump change.
>>
>>78219383
these aren't comics these are manga you dip
>>
>>78221930
Naw, Shonen Jump (and most manga is general) has a "New Groud breaking IP that changes everything" every decade or so, and then tons of ripoff come out, but they are new IPs at least.
>>
>>78218070
Would do fucking nothing since the rights for the series are all over the place in the west. Most of the manga rights belong to Viz, so they couldn't even publish Jump in the states.
>>
>>78218070
You know Shonen Jump is a magazine, not a company right? And I don't see Disney buying Shueisha any time soon.

>>78218909
If it ever happened, you don't think Disney wouldn't change things to suit them? Look at Marvel where they very slowly fucked with the comics until now you have the current mess that they're in. It'd probably be like that as opposed to Star Wars' sudden change.
>>
>>78219726
In the world? Yes. In history? Yes.

I read that he had a party at his house and celebrities were invited and they said they'd never seen a house so big and fancy before.
>>
File: 8nK0qTO.jpg (252 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
8nK0qTO.jpg
252 KB, 1366x768
Can't see Disney going after Shueisha.
If anything, the one I can realistically see them gunning for is likely Studio Ghibli. Make too much sense personally, only way i can't see it happening if Miyazaki himself oppose to the idea.
>>
>>78222702
>If it ever happened, you don't think Disney wouldn't change things to suit them? Look at Marvel where they very slowly fucked with the comics until now you have the current mess that they're in. It'd probably be like that as opposed to Star Wars' sudden change.

Please. Marvel did that to themselves pandering to tumblr and trying to align themselves with the movies.

The only thing I can see Disney putting their hand in is, "We own Star Wars now, do some Star Wars comics".
>>
>>78222744
Ghibli characters would be great in Disney Infinity.
>>
>>78218070
But the better question is, what if DC and Marvel started using the Shonen/Manga magazine anthology style?
Would that allow western comics to break way from the crime/action thriller and cape genres and start being as diverse as Japanese comics (with magazines aimed at various different age groups and demographics)?
>>
>>78222744
I can't see them doing that. Ghibli never really breaks box office records in America, there's no mega-franchise for Disney to leverage, and finally, Disney buying up the Disney of Japan would probably cause huge outcry in the native country.
>>
>>78220438
If Marvel was run by the people in charge of SJ, then Civil War would still be going on today.
>>
>>78220126
Naruto was more successful in the rest of the world than OP. And all the names are japanese.
>>
>>78222756
>"We own Star Wars now, do some Star Wars comics".
And even then Star Wars comics was a thing before that situation so it seems more a continued tradition from opportunity than anything.

Disney doesn't seem to do much active interference, take Kingdom Hearts while they have certain mandates they let the series go wherever Square-Enix wants so long as promotion of their stuff works out in the end.
>>
>>78219998
That's bullshit. When I was a kid we watched shit like Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk and Inuyasha, and no one had any trouble remembering the names.
>>
>>78222160
Yeah, he got sent to the hospital for a while. Now he takes regular breaks and sleeps 4 hours instead of 3.
>>
File: spidey and sero.jpg (286 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
spidey and sero.jpg
286 KB, 800x600
>>78218070
Marvel would crossover with Boku no Hero Academia
>>
>>78222223
Still wouldn't be able to since Disney is US and not founded in Japan, also there's already a Disney Japan
>>
>>78218945
You start with the Don Krieg stuff. Luffy already has his crew (you cut the two bounty hunter tag-alongs) but he needs a cook. You go through Don Krieg story, condensing the fight and the plot (Gin is probably excised) big second act finale is Zoro v Mihawk. You finish with Arlong. You don't need any of Arlong's minions besides Hatchan, and that's if you plan to go through the whole series to get to Saobody which would presumably be like... ten movies down the line.

So, no, the actual answer is that you don't try to adapt the series, you'd probably get original scripts that could be roughly inserted into the timeline and go from there. Even the people who make the One Piece show gave up on condensing plot arcs into movies.
>>
>>78218070
I'd rather have shounen jump stuff not be marketed to death like marvel or star wars.
>>
File: 1321226138.jpg (44 KB, 640x441) Image search: [Google]
1321226138.jpg
44 KB, 640x441
Disney can't really buy Jump

Jump is just the name of the magazine that all these comics run under.

The rights to the comics belong to the creators. Shueisha can't just sell them to Disney without the creators consent (re: paying the creators a lot of money).

And because Shueisha and Jump kind of act like the license "managers", Disney can't go directly to the creators without working with the Jump people.

So, if Disney wanted to do something like a Naruto or One Piece movie, they'd have to share with both Shueisha and the author, not to mention the pre-existing license buddies like Bandai. And at that point they're splitting up the pie more than I imagine they like to.
>>
>>78218874
>>78218913
>>78218945
>>78219163
>>78219213
Don't kid yourselves. They'd just do Dragon Ball Z. And honestly, DBZ done by Disney wouldn't look like shit at least.
>>
>>78225544
That seems like a ridiculous statement to make. When has Disney ever done anything remotely like DBZ?

Unless you mean a live action adaptation, in which case... I can't picture it without it looking like the action in Man of Steel, and that was pretty terrible, so I'd rather they just... not.

If anyone wants to make a live action Dragonball movie it should be Stephen Chow and it should be Dragonball and not Z
>>
>>78225544
I doubt even they'd try after the fuck up Evolution was.
>>
>>78221066
Those all do exist, but they just aren't as popular.

I mean you want a magical fantasy instead modern city full of capes?
Here's Amethyst Sword and Sorcery.
>gets cancelled with the run short enough to fit into one $20 paperback
You want a story without superpowers? They got plenty of street crimefighters, plus stuff from Vertigo and comedy stuff like Prez.
>Prez for many months was labeled "__ of 6" instead of "__ of 12" which scared many comicfans into believing that the comic would be cut off before it could even finish the miniseries (which is always a possibility for smaller stuff)
You want a story about alternative timelines or alternative history?
You got stuff like Convergence and tons of other elseworld stories like Earth One books
>I actually have no idea how well received the Earth One books are doing I only remember the first volume of Superman's and Batman's being a big enough for people to really talk about them
>>
>>78225600
>action in man of steel
>terrible

I know this ain't the best thread for this but the action was the best part of MoS
I mean it actually seemed like these characters who were known to be inhumanly fast and powerful actually seemed inhumanly fast and powerful
>>
>>78222275

Zoro's never even encountered a woman that gave him a run for his money, he's toyed with most of them because of this. Not taking women seriously is an issue of Oda's, not Zoro's.

He also fought Ain seriously in Film Z and shut her down definitively when his friends were on the line.

Zoro is a bit of a white knight, but it's generally when he recognizes his opponent is in over their head.
>>
>>78220106
The problem is that the origin of the Straw Hats is tied to the arcs they appear in and Buggy is too important a character to skip. So you have to have:
Romance Dawn
Axe-Hand Morgan
Buggy the Clown
Captain Kuro
Don Krieg
Arlong

Smoker is too important to skip as well.
>>
>>78229115
Filler doesn't count.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.