[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm new to comics and want to get into it. Can you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: daredevil.jpg (187 KB, 1155x1691) Image search: [Google]
daredevil.jpg
187 KB, 1155x1691
I'm new to comics and want to get into it. Can you guys recommend me some for starters? My favorite villian is the Joker but I am interested in Deadpool. I always hated X-Men but wouldn't mind trying it again. Also is pic related a good staring point for Daredevil?

I also like anti-heroes a lot.
>>
>>78196186

Man Without Fear is a decent start to DD, yea.
keeping up with Miller, Batman: Year One is a good primer on Gotham.

are you trying to keep within the realms of Superheroes, or just "comics" in general?
>>
>>78196281
Just comics in general. Would love to read some grim dark worlds and comics that isn't scared to visit controversial topics like rape (and whatever people are sensitive about)
>>
File: General Common Comic Book Recs.jpg (1 MB, 1630x2355) Image search: [Google]
General Common Comic Book Recs.jpg
1 MB, 1630x2355
Yeah, sure, okay, whatever.
>>
>>78196365
>Would love to read some grim dark worlds and comics that isn't scared to visit controversial topics like rape (and whatever people are sensitive about)
Hellblazer's a good one that's dark without being edgy
>>
>>78196414
I'll be honest, but judging by the cover most of those look so lame. Black Hole and Usagi sounds fun. Also The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a thing? Grown people read that? It looks so childish to me.

>>78196454
Thanks, I'll check out Hellblazer, trying to pick up maybe 3-5 different comics and see which one I like best to follow through with.

Also, which author is hot these days, what is everyone reading usually?
>>
File: co-recommended-punisher-comics.jpg (874 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
co-recommended-punisher-comics.jpg
874 KB, 1600x1200
>>78196186
>Can you guys recommend me some for starters?

Silver Surfer Requiem (aka /co/'s 2nd favorite comic)
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck (aka /co/'s favorite comic [The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Companion is also worth reading])
All Star Superman (you won't get all the references, but it's EXTREMELY popular on here)
Watchmen (I kind of hate this, but it's like the average fedora fag's first comic, so nearly every neckbeard faggot on here has read it)

Those are probably the top 4 most popular comics on here.

>My favorite villian is the Joker

The Killing Joke
Mad Love (if you like the 90s Batman cartoon)

>I am interested in Deadpool

Joe Kelly's run.

>Also is pic related a good staring point for Daredevil?

YES. Then read Frank Miller's first run. Then read Born Again. Everything else is optional.

>I also like anti-heroes a lot.

Read Garth Ennis' run on The Punisher. Or just skip ahead to the MAX stuff. If you want more there's pic related and the miniseries from the 80s. The Jason Aaron run is kinda iffy though.

For other antiheroes, what kinda antihero exactly do you mean?

And for general recs look into these:

Godzilla In Hell
Archie vs. Predator
Don Rosa's run on Donald Duck / Uncle Scrooge
Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing
Foolkiller
Badger (especially if you like over the top oddball humor mixed in with quality action scenes)
Superman Adventures (based on the cartoon, but shockingly well done for a "kids' comic")
Grant Morrison's JLA
Grant Morrison's Animal Man
Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
Scout (you can't buy this, but look for scans if you like post-apocalyptic stories)
The Dark Knight Returns (also features Joker)
Batman Year One
Ronin
Nexus
Transformers vs. G.I. JOE (if you don't mind extremely weird/trippy comics)
Archie Meets The Punisher (which is on pic related)
Welcome Back, Frank (which is also on pic related)
Fury MAX - My War Gone By
Kingdom Come (another absolute essential and one of /co/'s favorite comics)

cont.
>>
>>78196570
If you read more on Frank Miller and like him, I'd recommend Ronin. Especially if you liked the Samurai Jack cartoon. SJ took a lot of inspiration from Ronin. It's all collected as one TPB now.
>>
File: co recommendations MAX.jpg (599 KB, 1280x1498) Image search: [Google]
co recommendations MAX.jpg
599 KB, 1280x1498
>>78196365
>Would love to read some grim dark worlds and comics that isn't scared to visit controversial topics like rape (and whatever people are sensitive about)

pic related
Watchmen
Rover Red Charlie
The Killing Joke
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Year One
Sin City
Martha Washington
The American
The Ultimates
The Ultimates 2
Black Summer

more if I think of any...
>>
File: rorschach.jpg (543 KB, 564x888) Image search: [Google]
rorschach.jpg
543 KB, 564x888
>>78196597
>For other antiheroes, what kinda antihero exactly do you mean?

Not quite sure what, but I guess someone misunderstood and has flawed traits. I just want someone to be much more relateable and not all goody-two-shoe
>>
>>78196365
Miller's original DD run through born again is great if you want those kinds of stories on a street level.
Moore's Miracleman and Swamp Thing are really good and often serious as well, I'd recommend them highly.
>>
>>78196570
one of the first lessons you need to learn about comics is that covers always ALWAYS lie

and yes, LaToSMcD is great
>>
>>78196597
MORE GENERAL RECS:

Sin City
The Ultimates
The Ultimates 2
The Long Halloween
Superman For All Seasons
Mister X
Fearless Dawn
The Prowler
Twisted Toyfare Theater (literally the funniest thing I have ever read)
Andre the Giant - Life and Legend
1st Dark Horse published volume of Conan
Red
Planetary
Dave Stevens' run on The Rocketeer
Shaolin Cowboy
Get Jiro!
Polar
Torpedo
Chandler Red Tide
Parker

I'll post a few more in a bit.
>>
>>78196597
important disclaimer: If you read the Killing Joke, don't read the fucking recolored "deluxe" edition
>>
>>78196570
>The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a thing? Grown people read that? It looks so childish to me.

Dude.
It's one of the best comics ever written.
Not even joking.
>>
>>78196570
>The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a thing? Grown people read that?

Don Rosa and Carl Barks works on Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck are considered some of THE best American comics ever done.
>>
>>78196681
Absolution
100 Bullets
Scalped
Southern Bastards
Preacher
Alan Moore's run on Miracleman
Doktor Sleepless
Transmetropolitan
Fell
Hard Boiled
>>
>>78196570
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is the generally agreed upon Best Comic Ever around these parts.

It's done as a generations-spanning historical epic. It's pretty fucking impressive.
>>
>>78196186
OP, a lot of what's mentioned in this thread can be downloaded here:

http://pastebin.com/Mck3LrTA
>>
>>78196870

>American

Wat. I mean, they're available in English, but that's not right.
>>
>>78196829
>>78196861
>>78196870
Okay I'll read it and keep an open. Just reminds me of my childhood and watching the Ducktales cartoon and makes me think if this comic can have mature themes I can enjoy considering I am an adult now.
>>
>>78196570
>which author is hot these days?
Tom King. He's working on Vision, Omega Men, Grayson and Sheriff of Babylon, and they're all golden.
>>
>>78196833
Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern
Geoff Johns' run on Action Comics
Geoff Johns' run on JSA
Geoff Johns' run on Flash
Mark Waid's 1st run on Flash
Moon Knight v1 (especially issues 11-15 and 22-26 and 28-30)
Warren Ellis' run on Moon Knight
Thor God Butcher Saga (DON'T READ ANYTHING AFTER THAT THOUGH BECAUSE IT SUCKS)
Nextwave
Alan Moore's run on Miracleman
Charles Barkley vs. Godzilla
>>
>>78196977
It's PG, but see: >>78196930
>>
File: mindfuck.jpg (2 MB, 2435x1512) Image search: [Google]
mindfuck.jpg
2 MB, 2435x1512
>>78196186
Here are some more advanced reads. Also add The Multiversity to this.
>>
>>78197043
We3
Beasts of Burden
Rover Red Charlie (if you have a strong stomach)
>>
>>78197091
Er, I should have said Pax Americana and Ultra Comics. The rest of The Multiversity isn't very mindfuck-y, though it's still worth reading.
>>
man without fear's not his best DD shit, but i would read that before the main run or born again. but you could just read the main run, cuz thats what people in the 80s did.
>>
>>78197104
Bone
Tom Strong
Tom Strong's Terrific Tales
The Many Worlds of Tesla Strong
Elektra Assassin
Elektra Lives Again
>>
>>78197091
Spinning off that list, since no one's recommended it yet, read all of Cerebus. It's a massive epic and it's fucking amazing. (quite dark, too.)
>>
>>78196365
If you just want DARK AS FUCK and don't care about writing quality or art quality then read Crossed. It's basically rape guro though, so watch out.

Almost anything published by Avatar fits that description actually.
>>
6/10 troll I see what you did there
>>
>>78196977
OP, I know you are looking for anti-hero and grim/dark cape comics...

But there are others in here that are recommending you non-cape, non-grim/dark to broaden your horizons.

Hence the Scrooge McDuck and whatnot.

>>78197261
This Anon believes you to be edgy
>>
>>78196186
OP, no one has mentioned it yet, but the greatest comic of all time is Hitman. READ IT.
>>
OP, most of the shit in this thread is exactly what you're looking for. Read their descriptions on wikipedia and see if they sound interesting to you and pick something based on that.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.