[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Popular logic states that when the fans of the previous generation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 691427-robin_and_jubilee.jpg (50 KB, 306x639) Image search: [Google]
691427-robin_and_jubilee.jpg
50 KB, 306x639
Popular logic states that when the fans of the previous generation rise to prominence as creators, they dictate the tone of current comics by bringing back all the shit they liked when they were young and impressionable.

Supposedly this is why as soon as Johns crossed a certain threshold of influence at DC, Wally and Kyle were sent right to the remedial portable. Also why Joe Q made Peter Parker single again after some 20 odd years of marriage, and why Whedon made Kitty such a big deal that she eventually stole the identity of one of Marvel's big breakout movie stars.

So, if this pattern holds up, how long until we see the wrath of 90s kids take over the big two? Will it even happen? Will Kyle, Wally, and Tim Drake ever rise to prominence again? Is Jubilee ever going to be as heavily promoted as Kitty Pryde? Cyborg booted off the Justice League in favor of Steel and/or Static? Does history repeat itself?
>>
The only comic creators I know who talk about growing up reading 90's stuff all went into the creator owned scene.
>>
>>78183135
>So, if this pattern holds up, how long until we see the wrath of 90s kids take over the big two?
Isn't that literally what we are currently in the middle of?
>>
>>78183242
I mean, people don't end up on fancy corporate owned comics right out of the gate. They have to get the attention of people with payrolls by doing indie stuff first, generally.

Either that or get brought in from another industry.
>>
>>78183135
>Supposedly this is why as soon as Johns crossed a certain threshold of influence at DC, Wally and Kyle were sent right to the remedial portable.

EVS was the one who wanted Barry back
>>
>>78183332
the same principle applies. He's around Johns' age.
>>
>>78183135
"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9
>>
Remender maybe, even though he's more of an 80s kid.
>>
>>78183242
Si Spurrier's a 90s kid, it showed with Legacy and X-Force (Legion, Marrow).
>>
Yes. I'm going to work my way up with WB/DC and make everyone suffer just like I have
>>
Actually, it is Bendis who is pushing Kitty Pryde, I think
>>
>>78183135
Isn't this basically the idea behind the launch of X-Men '92, a comic written by and for people for whom that is the definitive X-Men era?
>>
>>78186575
and they got me to buy, just sayin
>>
>>78183135
Well I guess this makes sense, but I think the current generation of up and comers will not be as obsessed with one specific time period or set of characters because of the internet existing when they got into comics.
I know that I don't have a favorite time period, that I like creators more than characters/books.
Maybe that's where it will go. Morrison pet characters that don't see a lot outside of his work like Buddy Baker and Aztek might get revivals in the future, or maybe characters like Kaine and Fantomex who didn't get their arcs finished.
>>
>>78184177
I want to become a higher up at DC and do a good job, making fans happy.
>>
>>78185967
It has been happening since Whedon appeared. Before that she was in really minor books like Excalibur (worst selling X-book) and Mekanix (mini that sold low). There's also an army at Marvel that wishes Bendis hadn't made her exclusive to him so they could use her in all their books.
>>
>>78183135
>Will Kyle, Wally, and Tim Drake ever rise to prominence again?
Can they come back to prominence without their predecessors (or replacement, in Tim's case) getting dicked over again? If no then I hope not.
>>
>>78187344
>making fans happy
>a good job
A good job is selling comics.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.