[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"As the director of Masters of the Universe, it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: masters of the universe.jpg (148 KB, 740x560) Image search: [Google]
masters of the universe.jpg
148 KB, 740x560
>"As the director of Masters of the Universe, it was a pleasure to see that someone got it. Your comparison of the film to Kirby’s New Gods was not far off. In fact, the storyline was greatly inspired by the classic Fantastic Four/Doctor Doom epics, The New Gods and a bit of Thor thrown in here and there. I intended the film to be a "motion picture comic book," though it was a tough proposition to sell to the studio at the time. 'Comics are just for kids,' they thought. They would not allow me to hire Jack Kirby who I desperately wanted to be the conceptual artist for the picture…

>"I grew up with Kirby's comics (I’ve still got all my Marvels from the first issue of Fantastic Four and Spider-Man through the time Kirby left) and I had great pleasure meeting him when he first moved to California. Since that time I enjoyed the friendship of Jack and Roz and was lucky enough to spend many hours with Jack, hearing how he created this character and that one, why a villain has to be even more powerful than a hero, and on and on. Jack was a great communicator, and listening to him was always an education. You might be interested to know that I tried to dedicate Masters of Universe to Jack Kirby in the closing credits, but the studio took the credit out."

Fucked up that Disney, WB and Fox all owns rights to Kirby stuff and none of them have come as close as this to capturing his magic.
>>
File: celestial.jpg (84 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
celestial.jpg
84 KB, 720x480
This was pretty Kirby.

I'd be happy if Gunn included more Kirby stuff or if he just went full on Starlin acid insanity with the Guardians sequel.
>>
Langelletor's monologues about power and godhood are gonna be better than anything that Snyder gives us.
>>
>>78165813

Fuck yeah best Skeletor.
>>
Pretty sure John Byrne was the first to point this out iirc
>>
>>78165094
How batshit is Starlin's cosmic Marvel? Because up to this point I've only heard second hand accounts
>>
File: Land-of-the-Way-It-Is.jpg (73 KB, 499x495) Image search: [Google]
Land-of-the-Way-It-Is.jpg
73 KB, 499x495
>>78167785

It's pretty bat shit, Starlin has admitted he he was tripping during a lot of it.

Check out the Adam Warlock run, it's more self contained than the Captain Marvel / Thanos stuff.
>>
File: starlinclown4.jpg (335 KB, 620x914) Image search: [Google]
starlinclown4.jpg
335 KB, 620x914
>>78167785
There's an entire issue of Strange Tales where he uses Adam Warlock to talk about how much he hates Stan Lee and most of the Marvel editors
>>
>>78167920
I read in "Marvel Comics: The Untold Story" that Rick smokes a joint and that somehow helps Mar-vell become more cosmically aware
>>
>>78167920
makes sense clowns are a common theme among hallucinations, I know I've seen my share on DMT
>>
>>78168001

I love the story about guys in the bullpin running around NYC high coming up with stories
>>
>>78167938

So Stan's obviously the goatee guy, and I think Roy Thomas is glasses and mustache. Who's strung up?
>>
>>78164362
>the storyline was greatly inspired by the classic Fantastic Four/Doctor Doom epics, The New Gods and a bit of Thor thrown in here and there.

To bad the story wasn't inspired by Conan and Star Wars. Maybe then we would have actually got a decent He-Man movie
>>
>>78169125
Producers put their mittens on! that'swhy it ended like that!
>>
>>78169438

It was actually that the studio ran out of money in this case.
>>
>>78166289
he did, and the quote was from Byrne's Next Men letters column from the director of the MOTU film.
>>
>>78169094
Roy is the one strung up.
>>
>>78165094
So was Antman's shrinking sequence.

>>78167785
Not far off from Kirby's. They were birds of a feather, imo.
>>
>>78169094
The two unconscious assistants are supposed to be Marv Wolfman and Len Wein.
>>
>>78167938
>>78169094

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/06/01/meta-messages-jim-starlin-makes-clowns-out-of-stan-lee-and-john-romita/

The balls on Starlin...
>>
File: starlinclown6.jpg (319 KB, 620x917) Image search: [Google]
starlinclown6.jpg
319 KB, 620x917
>>78170246

Holy shit this is brutal
>>
File: starlinclown7.jpg (331 KB, 620x917) Image search: [Google]
starlinclown7.jpg
331 KB, 620x917
>>78170828
>>
File: warlock-1000-clowns012.jpg (201 KB, 700x1047) Image search: [Google]
warlock-1000-clowns012.jpg
201 KB, 700x1047
>>78170828
And the payoff
>>
>>78164362
one of my favorite movies
>>
>>78164362
>>78171049

Ever check this out? Pretty interesting read. Sad because the director and the talent seem like really passionate people who wanted to do the best work they could. Just wasn't in the cards for them.

http://www.slashfilm.com/masters-of-the-universe-oral-history/
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.