[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are they trying so hard to make people like Harper?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5
File: FAN FAVORITE.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
FAN FAVORITE.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
Why are they trying so hard to make people like Harper?
>>
>>78121745
Cause Snyder wants a lasting member of the Bat family when he's gone, Harper is his mark. She's doomed to die, be shelved or get retconned out though thank god.
>>
>>78121745
>batman, the dark knight, thinks you're cool and i, dick grayson, the first robin, think you're cool, too
>yeah, i know

Has Dick fallen in love with her only for her to turn him down because she sees flaws in his personality and proceeds to lecture him and he passively accepts the criticism?
>>
>>78121745
How hard SHOULD they be trying? Aren't you supposed to try hard with a new character?
>>
>>78121745
With Harper they were trying really hard to make a fan-favourite character, and they basically assumed everybody would love her right out of the gate. And they didn't. So they keep trying to show off how cool she is, and they're doing it at the expense of existing characters. And it's not going to work, because you can't force this shit.
>>
>>78121937
If you push a new character, there should be something to the character worth pushing. Harper brings absolutely nothing new to the table.
>>
>>78121745
Dick looks an ugly elf in this.
>>
>>78121937

You have to be subtle and make the character interesting to read about. Not "better than everyone else and is special."
>>
File: Head Robin.png (785 KB, 798x885) Image search: [Google]
Head Robin.png
785 KB, 798x885
>>
>>78121937

There's a fine line between a good new character and Poochie.

The recent gold standard for me is Rachel Cole-Alves in Rucka's Punisher. A new character who is competent without everyone in the story blowing loads over how awesome she is, and is allowed to make mistakes in the story while still being useful.

OP's page makes me want to throw up. That's fucking stupid.
>>
>>78121996
Also, a lot of characters talking about how cool and great Harper is instead of showing how cool she is.
>>
>>78123989
And you've got stuff like them making Steph a coward at the end of Batman Eternal to show how great Harper is. Of course, that's kind of par for the course for Steph since they brought her back (unless things got better for her in Batman and Robin Eternal, which I haven't read because it looked Harper heavy).
>>
>>78123989
Speaking of "telling instead of showing", in the latest issue there is a line about how the monks are so fast that they must have gene manipulation or something, but they are still effortlessly take down.

The writing for the most recent issue of B&RE just sucked.
>>
>>78124047
Three issues and Stephanie is forgotten. I think she's still wandering though Batcave.
But hey, we got Harper wearing fancy suit like rebel girl! With sleeves pulled up! Hardcore.
>>
>>78124085
Then I'm glad I didn't buy B&RE.
>>
>>78121899
I wonder where we've seen that before?
>>
>>78124143
Can't believe that half of last issue with Tim, Jason and Bane was better than half with Dick shilling Harper.
>Batman saw something special in you
Jesus, Dick.
>>
>>78124173
Miles Morales?
>>
>>78121798
/thread

What are you people even discussing?
>>
>>78121745
>>78124194

This is basically why I just can't stand her anymore. Dick... you were Robin, Nightwing, even Batman... why the hell are you taking shit from Harper of all people?

It irritates me to know Harper gets treated like she's the most special snowflake out there, when she's consistently talking shit to Dick, issue-to-issue. How hard is it for writers to just let her actually respect Dick and learn from him? Then she can be competent without all this shilling. She wanted Batman to train her, and now here's a "Batman" willing to. Tynion's plot sucks so much ass, man.
>>
>>78121745
What is it with awful dyejobs and sidecuts on women in fiction these days?
>>
>>78124306
Trying to appeal to the landwhale demographic.
>>
>>78124222
I was kinda referring to Barbara Gordon.

>Has Dick fallen in love with her only for her to turn him down because she sees flaws in his personality and proceeds to lecture him and he passively accepts the criticism?

Doesn't that strike you as something that you would associate with DickBabs?

Babs is shit.
>>
>>78121745
This is an edit, right? Or intentional parody? Every single panel makes me want to murder her.
>>
>>78124327
I thought landwhale's refers to people who spend large sums of money on the same product (so someone who would buy like three season passes for a game).

Do tumblrinas even buy comics?
>>
>>78121798
>yfw she gets a team book with Steph and Cass, written by Tynion who shills her every arc at the expense of the other two
>>
>>78124349
That's a good description of the majority of their relationship. Thanks anon, I'll be keeping note of that.
>>
>>78124381
Nope, it's real deal.
>>78124388
Nope.
>>78124419
Give them Lobdell, for maximum amount of fireworks.
>>
>>78124388
Tumblr buys more comics than /Co/ dumbface
>>
>>78124388
No. A landwhale is an overweight woman. Hence she is a land whale that only the bravest or foolish of men would harpoon.
>>
>>78124491
>tumblrinas actually believe this

That is a retarded meme. There are literal 1000s if not 100s of 1000s of dollars worth of comics posted in the shelf threads.
>>
My favorite part was her complaining how hard her life has been to the guy whose life has been actual shit for who knows how long in canon and some people still give him shit for it.
If she were complaining to Tim or Barbara, then whatever. But Dick, Jason, Cass, or Damian? Nah.
>>
>>78124571
>Yeah, your father was crook. Fascinating. Did I ever tell you how Joker shot me in spine?
>>
>>78124388
A whale is what you're thinking of. Besides, plenty of words have different meanings in different contexts
>>
>>78124571
Yeah as someone who had drug addict parents I find "woe is me my life was so hard" characters to be fucking nauseating.
>>
>>78124521
And yet /co/ favorites get canceled more often than tumblr favorites.
Of course both are heavily beaten by Slott and Snyder shit.
>>
>>78124740
Cause no smart person buys ongoings. Hence tumblr isn't smart.
>>
>>78124419
That's a woman?
>>
>>78124606
>Yes, your mother is missing and that's quite tragic, but you should know that half of us have dead parents and mine were killed in front of tons of other people.
>Don't even get me started on the guy whose mother sold him out to the Joker
>>
>>78124571
I wish we had meme covers for DC in March. Imagine a cover with Dick slapping Harper about his parents being dead?

DC would literally be burnt to the ground by all the feminists, and they'd actually have a logical complaint this time, too. It would still be funny.
>>
>>78124825
They're just humoring her. You can just imagine Jason rolling eyes under helmet.
>>
>>78124810
As long as there is a female co writer or a female artist then it's all good
>>
Would you guys like her better if she became lesbians with cass and or Spoiler?
>>
>>78121798
she's going to have a shorter life than Cassandra
>>
>>78124289
Because some people still have a problem with seeing Dick as Bruce's equal. The idea that the kid Batman trained all those years actually being competent and able to stand on his own against Bats is something that people have trouble wrapping their heads around.

It's why Harper gets away with talking shit to Dick, even though by all accounts he should be miles above her in terms of skill, experience, and first hand knowledge.
>>
>>78124960
No, Cass and Steph's love is pure. It doesn't need to be sullied by the likes of Harper.
>>
>>78124960
Nope
>>
Every new Bat related character looks to be shoehorned in the past few years. Even Julia and the new Robin kid seem to be bland with no personality. How the fuck does Duke even become the leader of the Robins, when he's the newest guy and done nothing?
>>
>>78124740
/co/ favorites are "problematic" and tend to not be as casual-friendly.
>>
>>78124306
Serious question, how has no one noticed that it's Harper when she's in costume? This isn't like Superman or one of the Robins, she has a specific hairstyle that is dyed a certain color and styled a certain way.
>>
>>78125092
This is comics
>>
How is her secret identity not totally blown because of her hairstyle? It's so distinctive there's no way a mask alone would fool people who know her.
>>
>>78125128
>>78125103
>>
>>78125156
That's not an excuse and you know it.
>>
>>78125092
>>78125128
Because no one wants to acknowledge her existence, she's canon shit
>>
At least she's better than Kelly
>>
>>78124990
Except it already is. Harper is keking steph. She stole cass.
>>
>>78124974
Even still, Dick is second only to Batman. Why does Harper get away with her shit?

I'm not levelling the question at you , btw, it's a rhetorical question.
>>
File: shit_hair_desu.jpg (234 KB, 588x903) Image search: [Google]
shit_hair_desu.jpg
234 KB, 588x903
>>78125092
>>78125128
You haven't read the preview to BRE #11, have you?
>>
>>78125538
Wanna bet Harper is young Mother? There has to be some special twist to make her more special.
>>
>>78125474
They want the readers to like her but they aren't sure how. Their desperation and confusion is only made worse by how hostile Batman fans are to new characters since it pushes older characters they like to the side.

With her whining and disrespect, she's close to being Damian 2.0, except we don't know if she'll change like he did. Especially since characters keep kissing her ass or ignoring her (at best) whereas with Damian, he was treated in canon as an annoying piece of shit until Dick made him better. But even now characters occasionally think he's annoying.
>>
>>78125681
>But even now characters occasionally think he's annoying.
You mean easy to forget Robin and Jason
>>
>>78125681
More like Jason 2.0.

Where's a crowbar when we need one.
>>
>>78125681
Eh, Damian had good writer and Morrison took time to tell story. And I doubt anyone will take time to write book and prop someone else's OC.
>>
>>78125771
Yeah, that's why Damian is the better character here.
He was incredibly grating to read at first but he got character development.

Latching onto Cass instead of Tim or Steph is the only development Harper's had. If anything she's gotten worse given how much she's whining to Dick when she didn't do much of that it last weekly.
>>
>>78125948
Good writers> bad writers. If Harper was in some fringe title with all three Batgirls already running in New 52, everybody would be more open-minded. But since we have only Barbara, lots of fans want to see Cass and Steph get their books first instead of Harper/pretender/waste of ink.
>>
>>78121899
"First you were a boy but now you are a man and now I am in love with you."
-Dick Grayson, Bat Cave Princess
>>
>>78121745
Why does she bother with the mask when she has completely distinctive hair?
>>
Is there a single story featuring Harper that wouldn't be improved by replacing her with Cass or Steph?
>>
>>78127540
Well she's only been heavily featured in Batman Eternal and BRE, and she's basically a knock off Steph in the former and Cass' friend (at her best) in the latter.

So yeah Harper isn't even needed.
>>
>>78127588
Of course she isn't. She has Jason and Steph's background with Tim's skill set only for some reason she's better and edgier than all three combined.
>>
File: Batfamily40.jpg (237 KB, 966x1510) Image search: [Google]
Batfamily40.jpg
237 KB, 966x1510
>>78124969
Of course Cassandra will be remembered longer: she was created with a unique backstory to fill a specific role in the Batman comics. Harper is just some girl that helped Batman out, but not in anything important.
>>
File: Harper Row02.jpg (123 KB, 646x518) Image search: [Google]
Harper Row02.jpg
123 KB, 646x518
>>78124969
Snyder should have given Harper a big role and introductory story in Court of Owls, but he fucked away that opportunity.
>>
>>78125667
Mother is Big Boss and Harper is Solid Snake?
>>
>>78129698
What could Snyder have done with her there?
>>
>>78125538
That doesn't actually address it, though. It brings up the complaint that many fans have but it doesn't actually do anything about it.
>>
>>78130305
It's a comic book.
>>
>>78130216
Make a real ordeal of Harper helping Batman after he escaped from the Owl's maze. Maybe Harper steals a car while the Owls follow on foot Terminator-style for a high speed pursuit through the traffic-choked streets of Gotham.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.