[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honestly, I've come to expect some type of delay every week
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: 1449825551-apology.png (235 KB, 687x926) Image search: [Google]
1449825551-apology.png
235 KB, 687x926
Honestly, I've come to expect some type of delay every week he's supposed to update. I'm really close to dropping this because there's no consistency.
>>
>>78096181
Do people actually read comics update-by-update? I'm too impatient, I wait a few weeks/updates, pick up where I left off, and read it in chunks.
>>
>>78096181
Who is this? The SMBC guy or another nerd webcomic redhead named Zack? Cause SMBC is god tier at updating on time for SMBC.
>>
>>78096309
>SMBC guy
That's Zach.
This is Zack the Hack.
>>
>>78096309
no, this is Paranatural
>>
>>78096501
Why does /co/ hate Zack again? I think Paranatural's pretty cool.
>>
>>78096530
Zack said that as long as /co/ liked his comic, he isn't walking the walk on his morals.
/co/ hates him for his own good, so that he can sleep at night.
>>
>>78096181
>Honestly, I've come to expect some type of delay every week he's supposed to update.
Me too. I usually check his twitter a day in advance to see what will be his new excuse.
>>
I have managed to archive one of xuubou / caribous's old shames.
[https://archive.is/QXv5w] Grab it as you please...
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3uwtePJ08]
>>
>>78096755
NIGGER, WHAT?!
>>
so... Zack doesn't use a Patreon for his comic because it makes enough on its own? I assume he's always busy doing guest comics or other projects with other webcomic artists. Kind of a shame his comic has slowed down to Vibe-levels of progress
>>
>>78096181
>not having a buffer

Holy shit why are "popular" webcomic artists so shitty with their scheduling?
>>
>>78096896

Can you name popular web artists that DO keep with their schedule?

Except the questionable content dude i can't think of any.. and that's not exactly the hardest thing to throw together.
>>
>>78096919
Gunnerkrigg and Unsounded. I don't think Tom's missed an update in 10 years
>>
>>78096896
He does it for free. He can afford updating at the rate he feels comfortable with. If he got paid it would be different.

>>78096919
Gunnerkrigg's Tom Siddell is consistent as fuck. He never misses an update.
>>
File: Zack don wanna show himself.png (77 KB, 590x619) Image search: [Google]
Zack don wanna show himself.png
77 KB, 590x619
>>78096869
I have a hunch it's because Zack doesn't want to show himself in some profile to promote his stuff needing to get sponsored or something like that.
>>
>>78096919
Sam and Fuzzy, Gobolatula, Dr. Mcninja
>>
File: 1403553299671.png (59 KB, 521x812) Image search: [Google]
1403553299671.png
59 KB, 521x812
>>78096530
>Why does /co/ hate Zack again?

People got butthurt about this.
>>
>>78096530
I don't dislike Hack, I just think PNat's garbage now
>>
>>78096919
The only one I can think of is Katie Rice. She may not be as popular but she regularly updates Skadi and Camp W without major bumps.
>>
File: 1423546531-VIBE175.jpg (1 MB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1423546531-VIBE175.jpg
1 MB, 900x1350
>>78096869
>Vibe

Now there's a comic I haven't seen mentioned on /co/ for a long ass time

He's finally met his sister earlier this year, if anyone used to/still follow this comic.
>>
>>78096980

>she regularly updates Skadi

Nope. There have been a ton of apology pages over the last year instead of new pages. The update schedule has slowed to a crawl since Camp W came out.

It's obvious that she's done with Skadi since her focus is Camp W now. I wish she'd just end it instead of dragging it out like this.
>>
>>78096845
Our ex-/co/mrade xuubou, mi negro.
Same source as the one with the love-bites in last thread, under "xublu".

>>78097029
>inb4 "Vibe finishes its 5th chapter quicker than PNAT" laments
>>
>>78096869
Isn't he with Hiveworks? Don't they pay their artists to update?
>>
>>78096919
>>78096940

It's funny how artists want to be treated like others with jobs and they do stuff that'd get a person in any other job fired.

I think being an artist is a job and when someone makes it their job there's a level of responsibility that should be taken into account.

Unless they want to go the way of the Meek.

This is poor planning and bad time management and then getting a pass for it. It shouldn't be the norm.
>>
File: 1411758571106.jpg (322 KB, 645x1000) Image search: [Google]
1411758571106.jpg
322 KB, 645x1000
>>78097029
>if anyone used to/still follow this comic.

It's in my RSS feed.

It's a great, uncontroversial comic, which are the type that don't always get as much discussion as the hated ones.

Interesting that it got brought up, since Zack took advantage of his friendship with Soulkarl to get into Hiveworks then cut ties with him.
>>
>>78097029
That look p good to be perfectly candid with you, kinsmen.
>>
>>78097076

No, they take a cut of revenue after the artists reach a certain income threshold

"we help you reach $X a year then we start taking Y% of what you make above that"
>>
>>78097089
Webcomics are free most of the time, dum-dum.
>>
>>78097129
Oh? How do they get paid, then? Ad clicks?
>>
>>78097089
>Unless they want to go the way of the Meek.
Throw a tantrum because an Asian story book didn't have Asian authors, and then throw a tantrum because said story book asked her as an Asian to be an author?
>>
>>78097135

And they don't directly make money from their fanbase... outside of merchandise and donations. But a lot of them quit their regular jobs and make comics for a living. And then they do stuff like that.

And then when people criticize their job they act like it's harder than chopping down trees or mining coal. They're too busy attending conventions and shipping their products to finish the very thing their whole business comes from.
>>
>>78097213

I was actually focusing on the part where they stopped updating and have yet to come back to being relevant again.
>>
>>78097220
Going to conventions and selling books is part of the job when it comes to being a webcomic artist, though.
>>
>>78097161

That's a big part of it.

>Audience is the greatest resource a webcomic creator has. Hiveworks assists creators in making their webcomic more sustainable by increasing the comic's readership through ads and network websites while managing ads on the comic's site to generate revenue. Simply by visiting comics on our network, the readers are supporting the creators of those comics.

>We also offer other services such as help with Kickstarters, book design, merchandising, hosting, web design, an online store and convention attendance. Many veteran creators don't require those services, but our team is always at the ready in case one of our members or affiliates needs a hand.

>Hiveworks does not own or control the comics' content in any way. We are akin to a team of assistants. Hiveworks sustains itself with a share of ad and merchandising profits. All other profits are redistributed to the artists and re-invested into Hiveworks.

The CEO talked on his twitter about the when Hivework's share comes in (after a certain threshold of income for the artist).

Although, if I was one of the affiliates, I wouldn't go to them for Kickstarter support. Many of the ones they've handled were mismanaged and had huge delays. Nothing PFSC-level, but I had much more success when the artists did it themselves (Blaster Nation was a great experience).

For example, as of October 2015, the Go Get a Roomie Kickstarter still isn't 100% done after being funded in January 2013.
>>
>>78097260

So is selling DLC to video games. You don't neglect your main product to push the side stuff.
>>
>>78096919
Does Schlock Mercenary still count as popular these days? Hasn't missed a daily update in, what, 15 years.
>>
>>78096181
What do we say to the God of update?
>>
>>78096181
Why doesn't Zack make a buffer?

I
>>
>>78097699

Because that's a responsible and smart thing to do.

No, it's better to work on each page right up until the last minute they're due to go up. Nothing could possibly go wrong!
>>
>>78096181
>not dropping him already
Comic's shit and has been for a long time now. The poor scheduling is just the corn on the shit sundae
>>
>>78096896
webcomic artists are popular for their cliques, not their talent
>>
>>78097756
Zack misses updates a shitload.

Maybe he's just waiting till the end of this chapter to start on it.

Also are we still making him that Christmas card?
>>
>>78097213
>Throw a tantrum because an Asian story book didn't have Asian authors, and then throw a tantrum because said story book asked her as an Asian to be an author?

Wait what? Could you expand on that?

>>78097241
Well, to be relevant again you have to, you know, BE GOOD again, I've been following The Meek since its revival, and the other project from Der Shin, Mare Internum, and man, both projects suck balls at storytelling, the former getting stuck in an endless loop of pointless exposition while the stuff that actually happens in-comic is bland as fuck, with a recent time/zone skip that so far has been confusing as sin.

And the latter, MI, becoming a wordless comic where a bunch of unrelated stuff has been happening, but so far no fucking clue of what in the living fuck has been happening for the last 20 pages or so.
>>
>>78096181
So when drawing a double-size page he needs two weeks to do it. Zack, just admit that you can't do more than 1 page a week and stop this pretense that you're updating 2times/week already!
>>
>>78096309
>Who is this? The SMBC guy or another nerd webcomic redhead named Zack? Cause SMBC is god tier at updating on time for SMBC.
You have a sample picture of the work in progress comic right there in the OP picture, does that look anything like a SMBC strip to you, retard?
>>
>>78096919
Brianne Drouhard's Harpy Gee
>>
>>78096181
Does any human being in the entire planet travel as much and as often as Zack "please understand" Morrison?
>>
>>78097161
>Oh? How do they get paid, then? Ad clicks?
How new are you to webcomics, anon? They make money through a ton of different ways in combination with each other: ads, merch like books and prints, Kicstarters, donation buttons and patreon. There's probably a ton of other little ways to make money but those are the ones that are common right now.
Paranatural has his ads and some merch to sell, he keeps saying he'll eventually make a book to sell and open up a patreon, but he's afraid that people will start expecting on-time updates once he starts making the real big bux from his comic.
>>
>>78097983
>Wait what? Could you expand on that?
She was writing on twitter how offended she was that she was offered a gig to draw a comic for a comic anthology about asian fairytales because she's asian, then she wrote a big blog post about cultural appropriation and how bad it was that said anthology didn't include any asian artists. Having her cake and being offended about it too.
>>
I dropped it shortly after Hitball started. It's a shame, I really was getting a nice Yu Yu Hakusho vibe at first.
>>
>>78097888
> just Christmas
> not also including 28th December, one of the most auspicious dates in PNAT history
[ https://mobile.twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/417068978154905600 ]
>>
>>78097983
>>78098630
That's a little misleading. It's been a while since I've read it, but if I remember correctly she was pissed that a bunch of white corporate guys were making money selling folklore adaptations; but the main reason was that the selection process for writers/artists didn't seem to include having any prior knowledge of the folklore they were supposed to be adapting. People were expected to just do a quick bit of research then make a comic.

Whether or not she was right to care about the first part is up for debate, but the second one makes at least a little bit of sense.

It should also be noted that unless I'm missing something, that tantrum thing didn't actually have anything to do with her comic's hiatus.
>>
File: Stand Still Stay Silent.jpg (636 KB, 1250x954) Image search: [Google]
Stand Still Stay Silent.jpg
636 KB, 1250x954
>>78096919
Stand Still Stay Silent only ever missed it's schedule by a day, and had a double update the next day to make up for it.
>>
>>78097029
That's a lot of wait for a Shaman King ripoff drawn by a tumblr artist.
There is a few good ideas though.
>>
>>78098429
I sure as fuck hope something big is happening on those two pages, because he's really starting to make whole page/double age without any meaning often.
>>
>>78098580
I know about all that, I was wondering about Hiveworks specifically.
>>
I like Abby Howard's fanbase.
Abby: ...
Fanbase: ...
Abby, one week later: Here's your stinkin' comic that was supposed to be up last week.
Fanbase: Thanks Abby! You're the greatest.
Abby: Comic's gonna be late this week.
Fanbase: That's okay we understand.
Abby: Comic's gonna be late next week too. By a week.
Fanbase: It's fine!
Abby: And the week after that, it's gonna be a week late too.
Fanbase: We love you Abby!
Abby: Remember, comic updates on Wednesdays! Just not every Wednesday.
>>
I'm fucking afraid of ever starting a webcomic unless I know I can have a shit-ton of buffer pages at all times. I can imagine if you're doing a webcomic and simultaneously have a career as a freelance artist it can get pretty hectic, though.
>>
File: absolutely-disgusting.jpg (94 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
absolutely-disgusting.jpg
94 KB, 600x450
>>78100537

There are ways to deal with it.

Taking a scheduled break after each chapter
Having guest pages
Doing simple filler pages
Doing a pin up of some kind for holidays or special days

A perk of having a buffer is that you'll be ready for stuff like this. Only something drastic like being in a hospital or going through a life shattering incident should stop a webcomic. At that point it's perfectly understandable.

But some webcomic artists aren't that smart and allow the simplest things to get in their way. And I mean this for the "professionals" that base their livelihood on it. Those who want to call it a job but treat it like one.

>Sorry guys, I saw a butterfly so this week's page will be late. Here's a shitty doodle of the butterfly.
>Also, I'm going to a convention I've been planning to attend for months. Completely caught me off guard so there won't be a comic this month.
>Please be sure to buy my prints and books!
>>
>>78096181
silly anon, you just described consistency. consistent delays!
>>
>>78099267
Say what you will about the writing, but that woman is an art making machine. She's like half way to becoming Jack Kirby.
>>
>>78096953
lmao what a thin-skinned faggot
>>
>>78096181
The way I see it, either Zach simplifies his art or he hires some help, because he can't do this shit by himself.
>>
>>78100353
>I know about all that, I was wondering about Hiveworks specifically.
Do you seriously think webcomics that are part of Hiveworks have some magic secret source of revenue that other webcomics don't? It's ads, merch and donations for them too. So Zack better get that patreon up and running soon.
>>
>>78100367
>I like Abby Howard's fanbase
Where is this fanbase? I never see threads about her comics here.
>>
>>78098553
Having family all over the place is a bitch, anon. Especially in December.
>>
>>78099040
>Mexican
>Has been to Papalote Museo del NiƱo at least once
>Sees the notorious Mexanon's comment on that tweet
>"Touch, play, and learn"
I, too, now look at the shards of my childhood on the floor
>>
>>78098642
It's a shame the vibe is not the only thing Zack picked up from Togashi, LOL

now I feel bad because Togashi has stuff in hiatus due to severe illness and here I am laughing at him

also anon, the hitball arc itself is huge on Togashi influence, you can pick up the comic back now and you're sure to enjoy it
>>
File: yes_i_mad.jpg (28 KB, 672x672) Image search: [Google]
yes_i_mad.jpg
28 KB, 672x672
>>78100925
>Also, I'm going to a convention I've been planning to attend for months. Completely caught me off guard so there won't be a comic this month.
This.

It's a good thing I'm not paying for these comics otherwise I'd be pissed.
>>
>>78104389
He's already simplified his art, and it only made his schedule worse
>>
>>78096919
John Allison's Scary Go Round, Bad Machinery (now rebranded as "new" Scary Go Round)

>>78097642
> Schlock Mercenary still count as popular these days?
I still read it, but it's more of a gag a day for me becaue I completely lost track of the plot, a bit like Girl Genius (which sometimes has an update failure when they only upload the uncoloured versions, indicating they have no buffer).
>>
>>78097129
Some of their creators get stipends. Depends on which ones are doing what for them. I think Sleepless Domain is one that's funded by them.
>>
>>78096530
I don't hate him for it but his reaction was just kind of dumb

it's not like 4chan enjoyed it for any agenda/belief reason and it's not like it was the only site that liked his comic so he didn't have anything to worry about

going "People I would personally never be around like my comic? Well I need to alienate them even if it means marginalizing another part of the fanbase" just seemed pretty childish to me
>>
>>78096755
No one gives a fuck.
>>
>>78104950
>EH @elhuesudoii 28 Dec 2013
>@paranaturalzack A children's museum around here has an IMAX screen. I remembered their ads. I'm dying now.
>>
>>78106278
It's dumb because 4chan and /co/ are not degenerate hiveminds. People of all kinds come to /co/ (including people like me who are in more "tumblr-y" webcomic circles, for lack of a better descriptor), it's just another website, and people on here are going to like/hate things for different reasons.
>>
>>78104621
When her comic "Last Halloween" came out, it was pretty popular for like a month
Now she only gets mentioned when people talk about webcomic artists they want to fuck or how people draw themselves
>>
>>78109170
yep you summed it up better than I could
>>
File: ZACK.png (8 KB, 309x193) Image search: [Google]
ZACK.png
8 KB, 309x193
HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>78096976
Wow. Surprisingly stupid.

Oh well, as long as the comic is good I don't care.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.