[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Keeping it grounded" T-they're just talking about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: zr2mwhvinsatb5oqqaa3.jpg (99 KB, 636x393) Image search: [Google]
zr2mwhvinsatb5oqqaa3.jpg
99 KB, 636x393
"Keeping it grounded" T-they're just talking about the explanation from the comics, right, /co/? Right? ;_;
>>
Shit, forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_bqey1Sdo
>>
>tfw getting to that part
YES
>>
>>78033740
They dont care about you or Doctor Strange comics, lower your expectations.
>>
>>78033740
This is going to be the most casual MCU movie ever made, and that's saying a lot.
>>
>>78033740

They're probably not going to go full 70's trippy Strange with it. But you can still do cool magic and keep it grounded, anon.
>>
Feige already said some shit about how magic will be explained with quantum mechanics and such.

Dont expect too much. Actually expect it to be absolute shit so maybe you will get surprised, thats what I'll do wtih Dr Strange, Iron Fist and Thor 3.
>>
What's the essential 60s and 70s stuff to read for Dr. Strange
>>
>>78034533

That's pretty much the best way to go see a Marvel Movie. Expect them to be utter shit and be happy if it's not.
>>
>>78034533

>Implying magic isn't just warped physics and alternate laws of reality/quantum mechanics that science can't begin explain

Literally what is magic, then? I definitely don't like the straight up technological route they went with Thor's magical principles, but the idea of magic and the mystical being incomprehensible quantum physics is not that far outside the realm of what magic has always been; which is just shit we can't explain.
>>
>>78034643
>Literally what is magic, then?

It's bending the Will of the Universe toward your needs.

Alternatively: Something that it's not real.
>>
>>78034643

Thats nice and all but since this is a Marvel movie I fully expect magic to be explainable.

Do you remember how Jane explained that diagnostic machine in a quirky way while that old woman got upset about it?

I can already see Eye of Agamatto being a technological device with little gears and parts in it and that it will explain how Strange can "cast magic" to casual movie goers.
>>
They're talking about keeping it grounded to the story.

As opposed to just some gay ass avant garde drug trip sequence that goes nowhere and does nothing. E.g. 2001.
>>
>>78034553
Read everything by Ditko
>>
>>78035176
>not wanting some gay ass avant garde drug trip sequence
>in dr. strange
it's like you don't even know the character
>>
>>78035161
>I can already see Eye of Agamatto being a technological device with little gears and parts in it and that it will explain how Strange can "cast magic" to casual movie goers.

Maybe, but I think the fact that they didn't do that with the Infinity Stones shows that they don't feel a compulsive need to explain "where the power comes from".
>>
The disk is out today! Where's the leaks?!
>>
>>78035263
>>78035176
yeah, It could be just a matter of giving coherent rules for magic so that what happens doesn't feel like an asspull but actually makes sense within the story.
>>
Do you remember the Thor movies? Do you remember how similar they were to the comics? Well, expect the same treatment for Strange.
>>
File: Third Eye Doctor Strange.jpg (355 KB, 1600x1043) Image search: [Google]
Third Eye Doctor Strange.jpg
355 KB, 1600x1043
>>78035230
>>
File: New Avengers Annual 01 2014.jpg (104 KB, 1596x2423) Image search: [Google]
New Avengers Annual 01 2014.jpg
104 KB, 1596x2423
>>
Why go for technological explanations?

COSMIC!! shit is good as it is and people are BEGGING for that kind of thing in movies.
Fucking Hairy Potter and LoTR made and continue to make billions.
Fucking horror stuff with clear magic in it is instant munnies.

The fuck are they even fucking doing? This shit is fucking retarded. Just say it's magic and get that science worshipping faggotry out of here.
>>
File: Dr.Strange.jpg (228 KB, 1673x351) Image search: [Google]
Dr.Strange.jpg
228 KB, 1673x351
>>
File: hollywood dragon design.jpg (358 KB, 1327x698) Image search: [Google]
hollywood dragon design.jpg
358 KB, 1327x698
>>78040729
No! You don't understand, everything must be realistic, Hollywood demands it!
>>
>>78034682
>it's not real even though it's right here, being real
The dumbest shit.
>>
File: Instant eatery!.jpg (467 KB, 1356x1726) Image search: [Google]
Instant eatery!.jpg
467 KB, 1356x1726
Hopefully stranges magic will be better than this in the movie.
>>
File: Sanctum Sanctorum 01.jpg (2 MB, 1660x2560) Image search: [Google]
Sanctum Sanctorum 01.jpg
2 MB, 1660x2560
>>
>>78040729
I still think its china's anti-cult laws that keep magic away from these movies
>>
>>78043543
>Basing design of fantastical creatures off of real things is bad
Fuck off, this is how we got the Xenomorph.
Lumping a bunch of qualities of real animals into one scary combination is a GOOD fantasy design strategy.
Also complaining about VFX artists wanting the dragons to fly realistically is really, really dumb, would you rather have them look retarded?
>>
>>78044772
Don't they dub the movies anyway?
>>
>>78044772
The Lord of the Rings and harry potter were shown in china.
>>
>>78045179

Yes, but they can't dub them if they get banned. For example, Terminator: Genisys did so poorly here it probably would have killed the franchise, but because of the international markets, especially China, it will probably be a trilogy. Disney wants that, it's why there is an extra scene for Iron Man 3 with famous Chinese actors, to appeal to Chinese audiences more.
>>
>yfw it's just MCU doctor who complete with spunky female POV character with none of the awesome trippy garbage

NEVER EVER
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZGBmMMswC4
>>
>>78045430
>Yes, but they can't dub them if they get banned.

Other magic movies weren't banned. Seems like you're just making up bullshit.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.