[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Killgrave a better character in the comics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (353 KB, 999x1538) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
353 KB, 999x1538
Is Killgrave a better character in the comics?
>>
He's kind of a punk. In recent years he tried to break out of jail and Luke Cage beat the shit out of him because Killgrave for some reason didn't think that one his his jailers might be outfitted to resist him

Then there was some plot about him having a bunch of bastard children all with his power, so he goes to try and use them to start his own little criminal empire, but his kids over power him and make him commit suicide
>>
yea, so is everyone else mostly. Read it for yourself instead of asking stupid yes or no questions.
>>
File: Untitled-Scanned-05-06.jpg (640 KB, 2048x1548) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-Scanned-05-06.jpg
640 KB, 2048x1548
Turn's out he has a weakness to fists.

Who knew?
>>
No. In the comics he's the same but without the "I want you because you're the one time I couldn't get what I wanted" angle. So just flatter.
>>
>>77983945
So this "Purple Man" guy. Is his power limited by powerlevels, or could he theroretically control heavy hitters like, I don't know, Thor, or Superman?
>>
>>77986167
>Is his power limited by powerlevels
short answer, no.
>>
>>77986203
Why isn't he a much huger threat, then?

Is he just too petty to go for the big leagues?
>>
>>77986167
Heavy hitters usually have some sort of innate resistance to mind based shenanigans unless if the person trying to effect them is also a heavy hitter about on par with them anyways. Otherwise some weak ass psychic punk could casually suggest that pseudo-gods to start wrecking shit.
>>
Why is Jessica's hair such a wonky colour?

So she actually does wear that suit in the comics?
>>
>>77986167
>>77986203
>>77986217
actually he cannot mindcontrol people like the kingpin or daredevil, so I doubt he could reach any of the big leagues
>>
>>77984812
That face
>>
>>77986217
>Is he just too petty to go for the big leagues?
Yes, he pretty much stays under the radar as much as possible. Plus it's really hard to track a guy that can hide his whereabouts via mind control.
>>
>>77984234
>Luke Cage beat the shit out of him because Killgrave for some reason didn't think that one his his jailers might be outfitted to resist him

Luke wasn't his jailer at all. He was just there at the Raft as Matt's tag along when they were there for the Sentry. The reason Kilgrave's powers didn't work is because he was all doped up on power suppressors.
>>
>>77984812
Please tell me theres a reason his powers dont work.
I hate that cop out
"Wow, this power is amazing! How one earth will they get around this? This is really exciting"

"Oh it just stops working. Thats it"

They can be smarter than this
>>
>>77986167
Willpower. Daredevil, Kingpin, and Doctor Doom have all resisted. Also Wonder Man.
>>
>>77986339
They literally explained it on that page, man.
>>
>>77986217
He is a character that exists within a certain narration.

Someone would have to tell that story,

Why is this even a discussion?

Why don't you just read the comic?
>>
>>77986339
This was my biggest problem with Jessica Jones netflix.
They couldve been so much smarter than "They just dont work even with his power up"
>>
>>77986217
until Alias, writers were just so used to seeing him as that one minor Daredevil villain and never really considered the threat posed by someone whose only 'hammer' is mind control.
After Alias he was stuck in superjail where they developed countermeasures

Also very very few heavy hitter fly solo that aren't innately resistant to mind control anyway, and it's harder to keep a powerful member of a team as your dog on a leash without their teammates noticing.

That is to say no writer feels like using him when they can someone some other villain that has mind control but can also fight good.
>>
>>77986354
Thats lame
>>
>>77986339
>I hate that cop out
>I hate what happens in stories I cannot be bothered to read

Hi, Tumbrl!
>>
>>77986251
She used to wear that costume and have her hair that way back when she ran around as Jewel IIRC. She's retired now so she just runs around in civillian clothing.
>>
>>77983945
>Kilgrave
People who say this and Fisk are huge faggots
>>
>>77986251

No. She's just wearing it in a comic.
>>
>>77986167
One time Doom stuck him in a machine and broadcast his power over the world. He controlled everyone with no issue, except Wonder Man for some dumb reason, I forget what. Something about not breathing.
>>
>>77986371
Yeah them not explaining it was weird though I took it just to mean that he had pushed her too far when she killed Luke's wife and that broke his hold on her. Of course that implies that he didn't make anyone else go too far, but whatever empowered rape victim.
>>
>>77986401
The cop out where they over power a villain, and instead of taking the time to construct a clever way to defeat them, they just hand wave them away
>>
>>77986402
So the Netflix story greatly changed things.
>>
>>77983945
I liked how they flipped this scene in the show. In the comics he doesn't care about her super hero name but in the show he was practically bouncing off the walls at the thought of controlling a super hero.
>>
>>77986401

They don't explain it in the show... She is just resistant.
>>
>>77986447
Thank God we have you here to save the day, Captain Obvious!
>>
>>77986321
No this was in Thunderbolts when Luke was actively working at the Prison as the team leader. During Fear Itself when Juggernaut destroyed most of the Raft Cage ran into Purple man, but Cage has nanites in hid system designed specifically so Killgrave had no effect on him
>>
>>77986462
The post is not a comment on the show. It actually has nothing to do with the show.
>>
>>77986412
Her backstory seems more upbeat in the comics.
>>
>>77984812
Beating the power because of the love he has for his unborn child and Jessica makes more sense than "you're on anti-power drugs, lol"
>>
>>77986429
He's already in jail dumb dumb.
>>
>>77986515
>Not having anti-power drugs as a reason for a jailed villain's powers not working

Holy shit you're retarded. If all of the convicts at the Raft were kept at their full power, Kilgrave could have just walked out of there by talking to everyone he ran into.
>>
>>77986429
It was in the middle of a colossal fight against hundreds of super villains that were escaping from a prison. Would you like a long drawn-out over intelligent clever scene of them beating each one?
>>
File: tippin.jpg (95 KB, 497x499) Image search: [Google]
tippin.jpg
95 KB, 497x499
>posting superior voice command powers
>>
File: BRB Facepalm.jpg (31 KB, 272x180) Image search: [Google]
BRB Facepalm.jpg
31 KB, 272x180
>>77986515
The idea that you'd want Purple Man to be held in a prison where they DIDN'T suppress his powers and yet somehow still held him is even dumber than anything else you're complaining about.
>>
>>77986429
It's not a cop out. If you ever read the comic you'd understand why it's not.
>>
>>77986371
Seeing as how they describe Kilgrave's powers as a virus that infects a person to make them do whatever Kilgrave wants, one could easily come to the conclusion that since Jessica was exposed to him for such a long time (dar longer than anyone else) her body built up an immune system against him, much the same way our bodies do everyday. Not once did I get the impression that his powers just stopped working for no good reason.
>>
>>77983945
Yes.

He was more of a depraved lunatic on a power trip than an affected youth running from his past as a victim.
>>
>>77987252
>running from his past
>>
>>77986937

But that's out the window once he starts controlling people from TVs.
>>
>>77986429
he's not overpowered.
In fact he's small time.
The only cop out is that they are canon able to nullify almost all powers, and not even just the smartest guys, but even small supercriminal organizations but they only use it in the plot that requires them to then it's not used again until the plot needs it again.
>>
>>77987387
I've only watched the show once so I could be wrong but that was easily explained by the fact he was in the hospital so the virus was floating around already and he just activated them with his voice
>>
>>77987992
and also had his dad to help boost his powers.
>>
File: MarvelTeamUpAnnual1981-31.jpg (234 KB, 706x1023) Image search: [Google]
MarvelTeamUpAnnual1981-31.jpg
234 KB, 706x1023
>>77986217
>>
>>77986937
Well that would be a nice explanation but in universe we get nothing like it, so it's not canon, she's just suddenly immune.
>>
>>77983945
i really missed the whole 4th wall breaking schtick he had going on, they could have really played around with the netflix format, that would have been more interesting than what we ultimatly ended up with
>>
>>77988937

She wasn't just suddenly immune. She was around Kilgrave for quite awhile and the traumatic experience (Luke's wife's death) pretty much was the turning point. After that, she was immune when the series started, she just didn't know. Kilgrave did.
>>
>>77986937
Are you me? I assumed that explanation would be used after everyone discovers that Kilgrave produces a virus for his control.
>>
>>77988595
pfffthahahaa
>>
>>77986937

Then shouldn't his parents be immune?
>>
>>77989078
Thirded.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.