[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 21
What went wrong?
>>
Rape
>>
>>77929139
Moore tried too hard and later just succumbed to his hateboner for Harry Potter

Black Dossier was the worst though. I did like the idea of other countries having own teams and the German one looked amazing, I give it that, but it was rather horrible otherwise.
>>
>>77929139
He lost the plot.
They were adventure stories at heart that became diatribes
>>
Instead of exciting adventures it just became boring people fucking.
>>
File: tumblr_ky9ryomXGi1qaxqc5o1_500.jpg (200 KB, 468x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ky9ryomXGi1qaxqc5o1_500.jpg
200 KB, 468x700
>>77929244
In da jungle~! Da mighty jungle~! The lion sleeps toniiiiiiiiiight~!

Ee-e-e-oh-mum-oh-weh~!

Wimoweh, wimoweh, wimoweh, wimoweh
Wimoweh, wimoweh!
>>
>>77929369
>Black Dossier was the worst though.

Really? I was okay with that one. It was Century that had problems.
>>
Having it go out of the Victorian Era was a mistake in my opinion. Like Black Dossier and Century never reach the heights of Volumes one and two. I'm not sure why that is, maybe it's as people say and it's the fact that the "adventure" was downgraded (hell a good chunk of the exciting stuff is relegated to the Almanacs and book parts of Black Dossier). Maybe it's just as the references get more and more obscure and obtuse and as Moore's dislike of modern culture becomes apparent it feels like "why bother?". That's what I felt after reading Century and Black Dossier.
>>
>>77929451
Why fuck. that shit is bone chilling.
>>
>>77929451
This segment is godly. The dinning moment when the blood starts to show up, meaning the whole time they were chilling at the dinner table Invisible Man was painfully dying upstairs, is perfectly scripted by Moore and executed by O'Neill.

I don't like all that much the first book, but the second one is godly.
>>
>>77929139
>Jekyll/Hyde just an Edgy Hulk/Banner
>pushing his 'old men are still sexy' agenda
>rapidly lost all sense of adventure>blatant waifufaggotry
>highschool anime tier drama
>as much rape as he could cram in there
>>
>>77929139
Alan Moore's life.

Sean Connery thinking what he doesn't understand is good.
>>
>>77929451
>all he can focus on is rape
>probably things Moore and anyone that likes the comic must be a rapist if they write/enjoy it
>tumblr_ky9ryomXGi1qaxqc5o1_500.jpg

I am shocked
>>
>>77929536
>pushing his 'old men are still sexy' agenda
But old men are sexy.
>>
>>77929518
The first one is solid, and has some great moments, that shadowboxing bit is awesome - but the second is really where it found that groove.

The third...is just too disjointed for it's own good, story aside
>>
I love rape, but overall when it comes to these kinds of crossovers, the only man that gets it right is Philip José Farmer.
>>
>>77929559
>damage control
Nah, I just think it's lazy and boring.
>>
>>77929139

The first two series with the first team were decent. Not earth shaking, but decent. The initial Victorian era crossover concept was cool

Subsequent lineups as the storylines got closer and closer to the present just didnt have the same charm as Nemo and Co.

Quite frankly, despite a few flaws, I actually preferred the movie
>>
>>77929713
It was the narrower focus, at least in general, but as you get closer to the present, it should have shook up way more than it did.
The Nemo OGNs really going outrageous in some respects is closer to the marks.
Cause it ain't the victorian era, embrace the change.

The movie had a lot of flaws, but I was into Dorian Gray and Jekyll at the time - it's a fun romp.
>>
File: Puke Megaman.png (63 KB, 448x327) Image search: [Google]
Puke Megaman.png
63 KB, 448x327
>>77929396

The first time Mina and Allan had sex was quite possibly the single most repulsive sex scene I have ever witnessed.

With the possible exception of Basket Case 2
>>
>>77929801
The ending action sequence is pretty good. Tshiggydiggitybh.
>>
>>77929879
It and Van Helsing make a fine duet.
>>
I liked the idea that in the LOEG universe that Adenoid Hynkel was the dictator instead of Hitler because of the nature of the fictional characters in the universe.
>>
>>77929801
I liked both Dorian and Sawyer as character concepts. Delivery from the actors, maybe not as much. Overtly vampire Mina was terrible and ruined the point of the character from the comics. She was a normal woman who had stared into the abyss and not been broken. She could control Hyde because unlike even Quartermaine she had no fear of the beast. No fight or flight, nothing to set him off.
>>
>>77929893

So where was Hitler?
>>
>>77929697
It is incredibly well structured, anon.

You just have either shit taste or very little experience with comics.
>>
>>77929952
Yeah, I didn't mind 00-Sawyer or Dorian, but they could have been amped up a bit more.
The tension between Mina and Dorian was something I intensely disliked.

>>77929964
He became Charlie Chaplin.
>>
>>77929988
Lazy and boring and given it was Moore, extremely predictable.
>>
>>77930055
i understand.

You have shit taste or very little experience with comics.
>>
File: League1969a1.jpg (65 KB, 244x424) Image search: [Google]
League1969a1.jpg
65 KB, 244x424
>>77929139
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1ZDYvIEhs
>>
>>77929369
Image of the German team?
>>
>>77929451
I generally hate Moore, but this was a well-scripted revenge scene.
>>
>>77930102
Oh, you.
>>
>>77929369
>Columbine Potter
>Not the funniest shit ever.

I dunno, maybe it's because I experienced Pottermania firsthand and was mad that my fellow students refused to read Susan Cooper and Lloyd Alexander, but that scene was satisfying.
>>
>>77929139
Others have touched on a lot of the better reasons, but I think one of the smaller ones was that Nemo, Hyde & Griffin were the most entertaining/compelling characters from the original team, and they were destroyed/written out towards the end of volume 2.
Mina & Allan grounded the team, and were pretty good characters, but they weren't really as interesting to read as their nutter teammates.
>>
>>77929993
>He became Charlie Chaplin.

Not just that but it's described that he lampoons Hynkel so his act is basically the "Addie and Hermy" British comic strip.
>>
>>77930493
Ah, haha, not a brit, so missed that.
Clever.
It's a shame that Hynkel didn't suffer the same fate as his film counterpart though
>>
>>77929577
No, sexy old men are sexy.
There's a difference.
>>
File: Die_Zwielichthelden.jpg (80 KB, 787x355) Image search: [Google]
Die_Zwielichthelden.jpg
80 KB, 787x355
>>77930144
http://lxg.wikia.com/wiki/Die_Zwielichthelden
>>
>>77930619
Why was the German team just mad doctors from silent movies from the 20s and the French one just gentlemen thieves if the English one was a mix of various kinds of characters? Kinda lazy.
>>
>>77929396
Moore can't write sex scenes, that's why he relies on rape so often.
>>
I haven't read the last volume yet. Does Moore sate his boner for the Simpsons in it?
>>
File: DestroyLeague.jpg (101 KB, 407x870) Image search: [Google]
DestroyLeague.jpg
101 KB, 407x870
Stardust jobbing
>>
>>77930678
Because it was written by a Brit.
>>
>>77930678
Nyctalope and Jean Robur weren't exactly gentleman thieves though.
>>
>>77930773

Even though Stardust has been depicted as being invincible in his comic
>>
>>77930848
He jobbed because he was drunk
>>
So what was Moore's beef Harry Potter?
>>
>>77929536
What I hate is that largely because of Moore we can't really have Hyde as anything but victorian Hulk even though the original story is completely different.
>>
>>77930883
According to a recent interview, it's a combinaton that Harry Potter is just a cultural milestone that he's used to using...and that regard to culture has been on the downward trajectory.
>>
>>77930879

He was never shown to eat or drink.

Plus he always had a power to hadle each and every situation without fail

Guess Moore had a grudge against the character as well

Probably James Bond too
>>
>>77930919
So, just old man Moore being old man Moore. Exactly what I've expected but I was hoping he has some serious criticism of, say, horrible pacing and haphazard wordbuilding to offer.
>>
>>77929988
It's Moore, I saw it coming, pun unintended. I don't care how well structured it is, it's boring
>>
>>77929964
Presumably dying of syphilis and making bad paintings.
>>
File: 1375834340548.jpg (175 KB, 584x903) Image search: [Google]
1375834340548.jpg
175 KB, 584x903
>>77929139
I courious about this, i saw the movie and i think it was good but what can i expect from the comic?
>>
>>77930891
what's stopping someone else from doing a story with Hyde closer to his original incarnation?
You're not just complaining that he wasn't still like that in League, are you?
>>
>>77931567
League didn't even really start this (dumb as fuck) trend, either. It's boring and makes as much sense as making the invisible man a totally-not-Hulk would, but it's not really Moore's fault this idea is so common. It's popularity of Hulk himself that's to blame here.
>>
>>77929139
Weird format choices led to me just not giving a crap after volume 2.
>>
>>77930891
but the hulk is based off of hyde not the other way around

but yeah in the original story his appearance didn't become monster ape just old and creepy
>>
>>77931243
Same Premise, very different execution.
>>
>>77931606
Well, Jekyll & Hyde were part of the inspiration for the Hulk, and Moore wanted to reach back to the things that preceded and influenced th superhero genre,so it seemed appropraite enough to put Hyde on the team, and to make him like that.
Personally,I don't think Hyde was boring at all in League. He was only OK in volume 1, but I really liked him in 2.

Also, I don't think I've seen League Hyde have any effect on representations of Jekyll & Hyde in other comics.
>>
>>77931658
I could've sworn that Hyde was described as ape, or monkey-like in the original book.
>>
>>77930739
>Moore can't write sex scenes
what do you think's wrong with the way he writes sex scenes?
>>
>>77931771
He was hairier, and his mannerisms were a tad ape-ish, but he wasn't a huge muscleman, he was just an ordinary man with a greater capacity for violence and lust
>>
>>77931815
there's an explanation for his change in size in the comic, which is consistent with the book, though.
>>
>>77931567
With how much Moore complains about the appropriation and simplification of his characters, I think it's a very valid observation.
>>
>>77932129
he complains about the simplification of his characters? When?

I don't think Hyde's significantly simplified from his literary origin either.

And how is it appropriation of the character? Or relevant to anything done with any of Moore characters?
>>
>>77931771
His limbs were described as monkey-like, but it'd make more sense to portray him as akin to orangutan or gibbon than a gorilla
>>
>>77930773
Which book was this?
>>
>>77930739
No, no. I'm of the belief like with Dan and Laurie in Watchmen most of the love making scenes are to show how sad these people are not how sexy, I'm not saying it's qualitatively bad on purpose but it's certainly not made to be entertaining so if you come from that view of things of course you'll leave disappointed.
>>
File: arthur-does-jekyll-and-hyde-o.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
arthur-does-jekyll-and-hyde-o.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>77931749
For a while in the 2000s Van Helsing and a couple of other movies/games made Jekyll/Hyde into what was essentially Banner/Hulk but with a top hat. Then no one cared for a while and the next versions of Jekyll/Hyde to come out were like the BBC version which was a normal nice dude that turned into a not so nice dude who could fight. This of course was more similar to the original which was a normal nice dude that turned into a mean short hairy Jew with a top hat. Personally pic related is my favorite version of the story.
>>
>>77931771
> Mr. Hyde was pale and dwarfish, he gave
an impression of deformity without any nameable malfor - mation, he had a displeasing smile, he had borne himself
to the lawyer with a sort of murderous mixture of timidity and boldness, and he spoke with a husky, whispering and somewhat broken voice; all these were points against him,
but not all of these together could explain the hitherto un - known disgust, loathing, and fear with which Mr. Utterson regarded him. ‘There must be some-thing else,’ said the perplexed gentleman. ‘There is some-thing more, if I could find a name for it. God bless me, the
man seems hardly human! Something troglodytic, shall we say

he's described as hunched over and short with an aura of uglyness and anger
but he doesn't have a messed up inhuman face like the movies and other media give him
>>
>>77932971
>he's described as hunched over and short with an aura of uglyness and anger
In Moore's defense Ed notes he started out exactly as that, small and insignificant like Jekyll's worries over his flaws or fetishes. As time went on Jekyll obsessed more and more over them on top of the actual atrocities he commits as Hyde and that fed the transformation. So it's less hulking out and more becoming a bigger, badder monster as you repeatedly indulge your dark side.
>>
>>77929139
Is there any Confirmation that Moore wants to continue this or did he gave up after the shit that was 2009 ?
>>
>>77933062
He did the Nemo stuff after
>>
>>77933062
He'll do it on and off, probably based on whim.
>>
>>77933062
I actually liked the movie
I also like the shadow and darkman so maybe I just have shit taste in movies
>>
>>77934024

Well, the first Darkman was fine.
>>
>>77929139

For me it was the art. I could just never get past it, which is funny because I loved Marshall Law.
>>
>>77931243

Well, the comic has a lot more literary references.

The visuals are grimier, seedier and chunkier. It's like how Jane Austen obviously got her panties wet showing only the refined, classier elements of Victorian London, except Moore and the artist were literally jerking off the the thought of dirty, ragged fingernails

I dare say the movie may have handled some elements better
>>
>>77930739

>Moore can't write sex scenes

someone hasn't read swamp thing volume 2
>>
>>77929139
Your dad stuck his dick in your mom's pussy instead of her ass and made you, that's where it all went wrong.
>>
That Hyde vs. Invisman rape scene still makes me uncomfortable. and old man sex scenes. all i remember.
>>
>>77931795
Because they look like... wel...

Go look up "Basket Case freak sex" on YT. Id post it, but Im not sure if Id get a ban for it or not.
>>
>>77929451
Less bone chilling when you know WHY Hyde did that, he deserved it the guy is literally a slimebag trator that tried to make aid in the extinction of the human race to ensure his survival.

Thats not even getting into the loads of slimy small time stuff hes pulled, only people who never read the comic think this scene was at all shocking or unexpected.
>>
>>77931815

At one point Henry mentioned that Edward used to be smaller than him. So they DID keep with the original novel, and I guess Edward's evolution was something that simply started AFTERWARDS
>>
>>77932862

My favorite is the David Hasslehoff version

NES game coming in a close second
>>
>>77940004
I read and it still kind of made me uncomfortable, mostly because Griffin was my favorite. (In the same way that people like, say, Boomerbutt.)
>>
>>77933206
>Oscar the Grouch
he isn't predominantly a literary character though
it should be like a bernstein bear or some shit
>>
>>77940004
No no, he didn't do it because of his betrayal. He did it because Griffin got rough with Wilhelmina Murray.

Edward Hyde will rape your ass for attacking and humiliating a lady.
>>
>>77929451
Nah, that was fucking great.
>>
>>77940166
He did it as revenge for what he did to Wilhelmina the betrayal of the species is just to show how completely unredeemable he was.

It was implied it was at the very least an attempted rape of Wilhelmina.

And Hyde owning him was foreshadowed in the first series with Hyde pretending he couldnt see him.

It really wasnt unexpected if you read the books and paid attention.

Hyde is still a brutal monster but at least in the end he was our brutal monster.
>>
after thinking about it for a while i realized i never cared much for it because i don't like any of the characters
>>
>>77932862
I liked the BBC Jekyll. As corny as it was I thought the 'Why aren't I a superman?" scene was done great, as was the scene where Jekyll had Hyde record a message for him. The scene where Hyde taps into his ancestral memory like a VHS was also really fun.

Was not a fan of the vaguely defined electrical drain, especially since I'm pretty sure the original story was set before electric lights had been invented.
>>
>>77934024
Darkman was a legitimately good movie. The Shadow was an okay 6.5/10.
>>
>>77933206
Babar actually appeared in LOEG
>>
>>77929451
Am I retarded? What's happening here? Is he masturbating, and technically "raping" Jekyll?
>>
>>77941198
https://youtu.be/tWdOoT831vI
>>
>>77941198
he is raping the invisible man
>>
>>77930919
>culture has been on a downward trajectory

Says the fucking pansexual wizard who worships a snake puppet. If Moore lived fifty years ago he would be locked up for violating English decency laws. He has a lot of nerve complaining about the 'downward trajectory' of a culture when the current trajectory is the only reason he's not in an asylum being forced through electroshock therapy.
>>
File: 1333008954780.jpg (628 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1333008954780.jpg
628 KB, 1024x768
The league of extraordinary gentlemen and van hellsing movies were a great time. Any other hidden gems from that period? 1800 superheroes are amazing.
>>
>>77941580
I have an un-recommendation. Don't watch the Wolfman movie.
>>
>>77929369
Potter stuff didn't bother me. It was not following the setting and ways of the first stories. For example location of the stories was important, but in Century Jack Baur from American tv is in England and characters from The Wire where Baltimore is heavily important are in England. It no longer was a nice setting where fiction characters lived but a story where they threw characters at you.
>>
File: The blood thickens.jpg (178 KB, 639x635) Image search: [Google]
The blood thickens.jpg
178 KB, 639x635
>>77941198
Pretty much raped the Invisible man to death. Honestly it was pretty hilarious seeing Hyde just casually eating his food while Nemo was all pissy and shocked about his actions.
>>
>>77941788
man can you imagine alan moore sitting down and watching the wire
>>
>>77941096
Was he one of Muroe's animal people like Little Bear and Pooh?
>>
>>77941837
Wonder if he liked it.
>>
>>77941868
No, he appeared in the backmatter. Him and his family gave Alan and Mina a lift throught the jungle.
>>
File: alan-moore-008.jpg (36 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
alan-moore-008.jpg
36 KB, 460x276
>>77941886
you come at the king, you best not miss
>>
>>77941558
If Moore believes civilization is decaying, then I completely agree with him. But I'm pretty sure he's part (a VERY small part) of the problem.
>>
>>77942131
>If Moore believes civilization is decaying, then I completely agree with him
with respect to when
what is your golden age
>>
>>77940109
>My favorite is the David Hasslehoff version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deRHOecL8Gw
>>
File: 17wod48q5a1sbjpg.jpg (313 KB, 719x1079) Image search: [Google]
17wod48q5a1sbjpg.jpg
313 KB, 719x1079
>>
>>77942131
>what's your opinión on the new generation? are we getting better or worse?

> Alan Moore Oh, I think like all generations you’re probably getting better and worse at the same time, and I believe that over time, the better generally outweighs the worse. Given the massively increased complexity of the world that you have to deal with, I think you’re doing fine. My only concern...and this is certainly not specific to your generation...is that too many people may shy away from that complexity, in favour of a retreat into something simple, comforting and ultimately crippling like nostalgia or a longing for their uncomplicated and lost childhoods. Dealing with the present day has always been a thing that demands a great deal of fortitude and bravery. Trying to be sufficient to our times is all that any of us, of any generation, can really hope to do.
>>
>>77942774
>Oh, I think like all generations you’re probably getting better and worse at the same time,

I agree with him on this part.
>>
>>77942774
Well shit, an Alan Moore statement I actually agree with. He's not doomsaying or blustering about civilization decaying at all.
>>
>>77942789
>>77942796
Yeah, because he spells out something everyone knows, but makes his point muddied enough to fool idiots into thinking he's saying something complicated and profound.
>>
>>77942932
>Yeah, because he spells out something everyone knows,
>everyone knows

You wish.
>>
>>77942548
Who's the guy with the gun on painting?
Who's the chick with the green hair below his picture?
Who's the girl between Edward and Chow Yun Fat?
Who's the guy with the brick phone between Scully and George Carlin?
>>
>>77943059
No idea
One of the Misfits from Jem I think
Haven't the slightest
Kid from Saved by the Bell
>>
>>77929713
>>77929801
I still really like the LOEG movie, but that's at least partially due to me having seen it before I read the comics, really it's not that bad, even if it's a meh adaptation at best(also both Nemo and Hyde were rather well done in my opinion and I mostly prefer Movie Nautilus to the Comic version)

>>77930110
I actually really liked the whole Tom Riddle bit in Century 1969

>>77930469
yeah I agree, I mean I like Orlando, but they really needed at least one other regular member of their group for everyone to bounce off of properly

>>77930678
probably just those nations choosing to specialize rather than have a broad group

>>77930773
loved that Moore chose to bring him of all people up
>>
>>77932862
to be fair, the hulk was obviously inspired by jekyll and hide
>>
>>77943059
Sledge Hammer
Pizzazz of The Misfits
Nancy Downs from The Craft
Motherfucking Zack Morris
>>
File: thus of ould.jpg (122 KB, 540x668) Image search: [Google]
thus of ould.jpg
122 KB, 540x668
>>77942932
>because he spells out something everyone knows
Because of the existence of millions of comments on Youtube consisting of "they don't make [media] like this anymore", or the existence of those shitty facebook comics complaining about how cool everything was back then and how the new generations are lazy and shit, I'd argue not everyone knows, or at least they don't wanna aknowledge that they just wanna complain about shit.

Pic related.
>>
>>77929139
everything past the first two trades
>>
>>77943059

>doesn't know Sledge Hammer

Yogurt-eating creep detected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03Dtu1r6nk
>>
>>77941816
>I'm willing to wager 5 pounds that you haven't
Still my favorite
>>
>>77941816
And that was the best.
>>
>>77942548

>Tron and Max

That's awesome.
>>
File: no restraints.png (40 KB, 210x236) Image search: [Google]
no restraints.png
40 KB, 210x236
>>77941816
>>
File: 1436056291315.jpg (113 KB, 500x689) Image search: [Google]
1436056291315.jpg
113 KB, 500x689
>>77931243
>mfw Serpico in one of the portraits
>mfw Serpico was an actual person whose career happened to be made into a movie and TV series
>>77930891
Ehhhh, Hyde being a huge guy has been a thing since the 1920 John Barrymore silent movie. But yea, the "Victorian Hulk" thing is kinda played out.

Incidentally, has anyone seen the new British TV show about Jekyll's grandson? The one that's really fucking terrifying and creepy.
>>77942774
I concur with this sentiment.
>>
>>77943590

>mfw Serpico was an actual person whose career happened to be made into a movie and TV series

A lot of the movies Lumet made around then were based on true stories. If you can handle the 2.5 hour-long ride, I'd recommend Prince Of The City from around the same time.
>>
>>77939855

My nigga.
>>
>>77941598
The director's cut of the Wolfman is pretty great. The theatrical cut was horrific.

>>77943145
>I actually really liked the whole Tom Riddle bit in Century 1969
I liked the "time travelling man" bit of Century.
>>
>>77930211
I'm not really butthurt about Columbine Potter. I mean, I sort of am, but not the idea to shit on Potter. It's the idea to shit on Potter and not even give it the kind of fair shake all the other stories have. There's nothing in the Potter bits that builds off of the series, or the themes, or the mechanics of it. It comes across as just an old man shaking his fist at modern literature, even though Moore isn't that. I'd be fine if the story was still shitting on Harry Potter, but doing so in a way that actually had anything to do with what the stories are about.

When Voldemort's motivation is given a near perfect 180 to accommodate the story, it comes off as Moore having not even the most basic idea what happens in that story.
>>
>>77943881
Yeah, agreed, although you could say he did the exact same thing to James Bond.
But to that end it starts to become less about fiction being real and just things that resemble fiction.
>>
>>77943857
I'm very curious about the book where the time traveling guy is from. Too bad it's pretty much out of print and there's no e-book edition.
>>
>>77943590
Are you implying that Moore never made use of fictionalized versions of real people?
>>
>>77943970
Really? I've only seen a small synopsis.
That sucks, does seem like a concept worth skimming through
>>
>>77943970
>>77944001
It's on Amazon.

Slow Chocolate Autopsy.
>>
File: 3674786.jpg (78 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
3674786.jpg
78 KB, 700x1050
>>77943881

>When Voldemort's motivation is given a near perfect 180 to accommodate the story, it comes off as Moore having not even the most basic idea what happens in that story.

Well, Tom was possessed by the spirit of not-Aleister Crowley so I guess that explains it.

Still, I personally have grown to dislike almost everything Moore does because he has no respect for the original creators or their characters. Originally vaguely heroic Jonathan Harker has divorced Mina because the plot demands it, Harry Potter and Jame Bond are totally out of character because he dislikes them, Alan and Mina become immortal because he didn't want to write new characters (even the movie version with vampire-Mina was better) and let's not even get started about how he has defiled the whole Cthulhu Mythos with his Nekonomicon.

The problem with Moore is not that he is a bad writer, the problem is that he seems to think that he is much better writer than everyone else. Including the people who have originally made those characters.
>>
>>77944080
Come on now, Providence pretty much makes up for what he did with Neonomicon
>>
>>77944125
>>77944080
Yeah, Neonomicon was just the most superficial and laziest comic about Lovecraft written (even Giffen's OGN had more going on), but Providence is the real successor to LXG in the best of ways
>>
>>77943992
Yeh, but he didn't put them on the cover...
>>77930932
>>77943902
>>77944080
>Sean Connery stars in a crappy adaptation of LoEG
>Moore writes James Bond as a stupid arsehole
'TIS A MYSTERY FOR THE AGES
>>
>>77944233
I thought Brits just don't see Bond favorably as all. He's to them what someone like Duke is to 'murrica I suppose.
>>
>>77944233
Moore hates everything he didn't create.
>>
>>77944157
Do I need to read Neonomicon to get Providence?
>>
>>77941816
Man, Griffin must have been half split in half.
>>
>>77944288
No you don't need it to "get" Providence.
But I'd read it and the Courtyard anyway. Neonomicon is crap, but how Moore carries on and salvages it is part of the fun.

If you can't stand it though, you can skip ahead.
>>
>>77942548
>1996
>All those 80s characters

80s kids are so full of themselves.
>>
>>77944316

The paintings represent the generation *before* the characters stood at the front.

You lack comprehension sir.
>>
A somewhat off-topic request: Can someone recommend comics which have textual back-matter like some of Moore's stuff does(e.g. LOEG, Watchmen, Providence)?
>>
Moore doesn't really like modern culture.

what is that 90s fan pic even doing not having buffy on the team
>>
>>77941837
>>77941886
>>77941952

there's an old entertainment weekly interview and Moore name checks it as great tv, i think also south park?
>>
>>77945172
Zach and Rufus aren't in the paintings you idiot.
>>
File: maschinenmensch hipster.jpg (106 KB, 550x707) Image search: [Google]
maschinenmensch hipster.jpg
106 KB, 550x707
>>77930619
I don't like how Metropolis was used.
One, it in the future, so it wasn't the most appropriate story to use.

Two, he only really used the movie and not the book. In a universe that consists mostly of literary characters come to life, throwing a movie in there stands out. Maschinenmensch/Cyber Maria/Futura/Hel's book presentation especially could have worked better. It's a blue glass lady with a silver skeleton inside it. Though I guess maybe a total one reader would have recognised that as opposed to the brass gynoid of the film being iconic.

Three, in the story Rotwang programed her specifically to tear down the city.
He wasn't trying to put himself at the top or even keep his job, he had a grudge against Fredersen and this was his ticket to destroy him, by watching Metropolis burn.
In that, he wasn't trying to tear it all down, wasn't being a mad-scientist-anarchist or even making a replacement for his ex-wife. He's quite firmly under the heel of the Nazis and seems to be perfectly all right with his lot in life.

It honestly seemed like Alan Moore was just getting lazy and started grasping for the low hanging fruit with no real effort to show.
>>
whats the reading order for this series?

i see many volumes and possibly a sequel? what the fuck is all this
>>
>>77934024
I like it also, you're not alone.
Just wish the villains weren't quite so generic.
>>
>>77945562
V1
V2
Black Dossier
V3(Century) (Consists of 1910, 1969, 2009)
Nemo: Heart of Ice
Nemo: The Roses of Berlin
Nemo: River of Ghosts
>>
>>77945562 Start here:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen v01 (2002) (Digital) (Zone-Empire).cbr
http://userscloud.com/w89fkycwbwzd
>>
>>77945638
>>77945600
thanks ill proceed accordingly
>>
File: lxg.jpg (55 KB, 494x720) Image search: [Google]
lxg.jpg
55 KB, 494x720
>>77929139
>What went wrong?

The comics got progressively worse after the first volume with more childish blood and rape. By the end the Movie was actually better than some of the shit Moore wrote himself.
>>
>>77945206
The Great Outdoor Fight trade that Dark Horse put out has some background on the in-universe history of the GOF
>>
File: Nemo-Print.png (1 MB, 1216x1726) Image search: [Google]
Nemo-Print.png
1 MB, 1216x1726
>>77945600

Don't mind me. Just redeeming the franchise.
>>
>>77930211
> Columbine Potter
Explain?
>>
>>77945704
I actually really like the movie. I feel dumb for 13 year old me not realizing Sawyer is Tom Sawyer. On top of that, I do like that Mina was a vampire and not just a random woman who walks around and says "god, oh god, it's so horrible!"

I still want to have sex with Nemo's car.
>>
>>77945543
>One, it in the future, so it wasn't the most appropriate story to use.

I think that rule went out the window once he revealed that 1984's real time period was actually 1948 in Black Dossier (and that James Bond assassinated Big Brother).

>Two, he only really used the movie and not the book.

Actually this is funny in light of his interviews. But by Black Dossier stuff from non-literary sources started seeping in (and Die Zwielichthelden is just one of those things). I can't remember for sure if that was the same case with the first two LOEGs.
>>
>>77930932
>>77944233
No, he had a distaste for James Bond long before the LOEG movie. In the early printings of the Dark Knight Returns, it included a forward by Moore, who wrote:

"The fictional heroes of the past, while still retaining all of their charm and power and magic, have had some of their credibility stripped away forever as a result of the new sophistication in their audience. With the benefit of hindsight and a greater understanding of anthropoid behavior patterns, science fiction author Philip Jose Farmer was able to demonstrate quite credibly that the young Tarzan would almost certainly have indulged in sexual experimentation with chimpanzees and that he would just surely have had none of the aversion to eating human flesh that Edgar Rice Burroughs attributed to him. As our political and social consciousness continues to evolve, Alan Quartermain stands revealed as just another white imperialist out to exploit the natives and we begin to see that the overriding factor in James Bond's psychological makeup is his utter hatred and contempt for women. Whether most of us would prefer to enjoy the above-mentioned gentlemen's adventures without spoiling things by considering the social implications is beside the point. The fact remains that we have changed, along with our society, and that were such characters created today they would be subject to the most extreme suspicion and criticism."

Now that I think of it, it does seem a bit ironic for him to say that last part because he got rather pissed off at people criticizing him over the Golliwog and Moore's usage of rape.
>>
>>77931020
>>77929697

Yeah, what the book needed was a twist out of a left field with no foreshadowing and one that would not be the catalyst of a story, so the reader could not have expected it, thus making it not boring
>>
>>77945172
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is from 1989, so arguably Rufus is from the 80's. Saved by the Bell is also from 1989 so arguably Zack Morris is from the 80's, too.
>>
File: goku-laugh.jpg (35 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
goku-laugh.jpg
35 KB, 330x330
>>77949938
>With the benefit of hindsight and a greater understanding of anthropoid behavior patterns, science fiction author Philip Jose Farmer was able to demonstrate quite credibly that the young Tarzan would almost certainly have indulged in sexual experimentation with chimpanzees and that he would just surely have had none of the aversion to eating human flesh that Edgar Rice Burroughs attributed to him.
>Getting a degree
>Using it for studying Tarzan's sexual life
>>
>>77950065
It's sadly not as uncommon as you think. There's a retard named Will Brooker that has "a phd in batman" and goes around talking nonsense about how The Killing Joke needs to be taken off shelves because of rape, even though there isn't any rape in it, and can't even get basic shit straight about Batman Lore. He's said stupid shit like Jason Todd getting killed with a wrench (yes, he said wrench, not crowbar) is somehow nowhere near as bad of a thing to happen to a human being as Babs getting shot through the spine. If you ever encounter him, tell.him that Babs getting paralyzed was great character development, he'll completely lose his shit.
>>
What's funny is that the story he ascribes to Farmer is A Feast Unknown, which had Lord Grandrith, a Tarzan analogue and not neccesarily Tarzan. Now Famer dropped hints that Grandrith could be the "real" Tarzan, but by the time he wrote Tarzan Alive and Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life, the backstory was different (Tarzan and Doc Savage aren't half-brothers like Lord Grandrith and Savage-analogue Doc Caliban). So what applied for Grandrith didn't neccesarily apply for Tarzan unless you wanted it to.

It'd be like saying Atoman from Top 10 was the "real" Superman or Miracleman was the "real" Captain Marvel.
>>
>>77944277
So he hates everything.
>>
>>77950290
Basically.
>>
>>77948426
>we finally get the german league in action
>they get jobbed by Jenni alone

Regardless, Nemo was a great return to form
>>
>>77950500
The team was created back in 1909, so by 1941 most of them were old and one of them defected to Nemo's side.
>>
>>77929139
Imagine someone fanwanking 200 years of literature together.

The whole plot fell apart as it went on and just tuned into family for engish majors.

And then he spent a whole book going KIDS THESE DAYS
>>
>>77944080
Someone screencap that last paragraph in solid gold,
>>
>>77929871
>>77939835
Which did film do better
>>
>>77930110
This was a cute reference.

Actually weaving the cultural context of the work into fiction is the number one thing i love in writing Watchmen, Akira, Great Gasyvy,New Frontier Premise
>>
>>77944080
Yeah, I think you have something there. He didn't have the respect to riff off of Lovecraft in the same spirit, and he didn't have it at all for Rowling.

I mean, he could have tarnished the basic character by suggesting that Harry can be a bit of a dick, or was more of a dick than the books suggest, or other things. But he completely derailed the character for very petty reasons, and the train went ass over ellbows and ended up somewhere really weird.

At least "Jimmy" was somewhat in the trajectory one would expect someone who was already sort of going that direction would presumably go in.

So instead of just being a womanizing pro establishment dude, he's a bit of a bastard, and sadomasochistic, and has darker designs on women than just "conquering" them in a more vanilla fashion.

What he did with "Tom" seemed kind of petty, too.

I mean, he could have been at heart, as much of a little bastard as Moriarty was, but at least Moriarty wasn't so pedestrian. Sure he had undisguised contempt for Mina as a woman, but it was in a fricking flying battleship, that was his.

Not him being a sneaky little rapist in a head concert like he was some cheap conjurer or fraud.

The man himself was quite powerful. And there are plenty of "bad" characters in Potter, and plenty who worked for him or would have that would have done something like that because they are such pikers.

Voldemort creeping around and attempting to date rape women in parks...

Like I said. Pedestrian, and petty.

At least make fun of how petty his allmighty cult is and how he's a petty tyrant, after some of them get shot, skewered, or have their noses broken because they can't handle themselves in a fist fight with adventuring types. Not that.
>>
>>77948529
Harry finds out he's the Antichrist and goes full Columbine on Hogwarts.

http://lxg.wikia.com/wiki/Antichrist
>>
>>77951593
>He didn't have the respect to riff off of Lovecraft in the same spirit,
That's funny because he said that he didn't value Lovecraft as a writer at first, but his regard for him has grown the more he has read of his work
>>
>>77942548
who is the one with tron?
>>
>>77952265
Max Headroom.
>>
>>77942548

>>Gentlepersons

how gay
>>
>>77943278
>facebook comics complaining about how cool everything was back then and how the new generations are lazy and shit,

They would be right on both counts, actually.
>>
>>77941816

>>Cue comedic trombone "Waah waah WAAAH!!!" and laugh track
>>
>>77939855

I have

Point still stands
>>
>>77929451
>Jekyll reference

Nice.
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.