[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on cartoon characters aging? One of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
What are your thoughts on cartoon characters aging?

One of the benefits of animation is that the characters don't age and the show can stay in the same situation for as long as they want. This can lead to the show getting repetitive and running out of steam in later seasons. What if The Simpsons or South Park had their characters age at some interval. Maybe not 1 season is 1 year but 3 seasons is 1 year. The Simpsons could have Bart going through puberty or Homer retiring. South Park could have one of the moms going through menopause or Stans grandfather passing away.

Old shows could be given new life.
>>
Depends on what kind of show it is.
>>
>>77911180
I'm not very enthusiastic about showing the characters slowly aging in a realistic manner. I'd much rather prefer a timeskip.
>>
File: classical blunder.png (48 KB, 1344x174) Image search: [Google]
classical blunder.png
48 KB, 1344x174
>>77911180
>>
>>77911531
Thanks anon, I was looking to post it, but I seem to have misplaced it somewhere.
>>
>>77911180
I like shows where characters age. I can't think of any western cartoons off the top of my head that do this but I really like media where the role of protagonist is handed down to the descendants of the first protagonist.
>>
>>77911180

Cartoon characters aging prevents animators from having a consistent model to work with.
>>
>>77911757
What's so bad about having a new model to work with per character every 3rd season or so? It's not as if the characters are aging every episode.
>>
>>77911727
Almost every cartoon with a plot and actual overarching story eg young justice, avatar, Wakfu
>>
File: 1446974753895.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
1446974753895.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
>>77911180

Endtown.
>>
>>77911935
>Every third season or so
Past Season 6, the show should be either over or a different series.
>>
>>77911727
Gumball did it, then undid it in the same episode.
>>
>>77911180
I feel like a 3 to 1 ratio is pretty much perfect. It gives you time to get used to characters at each age before just slowly letting things move the fuck on. From his origins to the time I stopped caring about him, peter parker went from a highschooler to a university teacher. that works for me. 'course, that's comics. but the same goes for cartoons really. I feel like KotH, Pokémon, etc should have let characters get 3-4 years older per decade. They both started out like they were going to, but.. then didn't. Bobby gets older on paper but in no other way, and pauses at 13 after a couple years as a 4-foot infant
>>
>>77911180
If we're allowing comics, Judge Dredd is a perfect example of doing it right.
>>
I was interested in your topic OP but you fucked up any chance of discussion by having that image. I'll ask the same question tomorrow.
>>
>>77911180

I'm fine with Simpsons being the "characters never age" show and King of the Hill being the "realistic" show. I just wish King of the Hill was allowed to go the full nine yards in this area instead of being forced to abandon time and character arcs because of Fox.

I've noticed that shows with real aging are always "realistic" like KOTH and As Told by Ginger. Probably because nobody cares about Spongebob or Courage the Cowardly Dog aging and with shows like Rugrats, aging kills the whole point of the show.
>>
>>77911180
>What are your thoughts on cartoon characters aging?
I had a vivid dream earlier tonight of eating Korra's booty like fucking groceries thanks to you and your stupid classicblunder.jpg, OP.

I don't even like Korra.

....thanks, I guess.
>>
File: south-park_kenny.jpg (97 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
south-park_kenny.jpg
97 KB, 1024x768
>>77911180
Are you fucking stupid?
South Park characters have already aged.
Fucking amateur plebfag.
>>
>>77911180
I can't deal with aging. It makes me extremely sad. I'm happy with the status quo. I rather see the end of a show than see the characters age.
>>
>>77911180
South Park has aged the characters. They have advanced grades and everything.
>>
>>77922066
How old are the kids now?
>>
>>77922105
They used to be 8, now they're 10.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.