[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know everybody shit talks CQ (which is mostly justified) but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
I know everybody shit talks CQ (which is mostly justified) but nobody ever mentions this guy.
Seriously, he's the best character in the comic and the only reason I'm still reading it.
>>
But he bakes now!
Isn't that so cute and funny??!!
>>
>>77662313
Not sure if bait but I'm pretty sure that was a one-off gag meant to set up the chapter.
>>
>>77662288
>mostly justified
"Not muh MGS comics!" does not qualify as valid criticism.
>>
>>77662573
OP here and I've never really read em. Not a fan of MGS anyways. I just can see CQ is far from perfect. It's not bad, mind you, but it has its problems.

A lot of it is how Almond is an entitled little bitch who wants everything to fit her personal narrative and who's suffered few to no reprecussions for her mistakes.
Some of it the plot with Cuke and company is fairly by the numbers except for the clumsy LEL WE"RE SUBVERTING STANDARD TROPES TEEHEE that was getting stale when Shrek 2 came out. The whole Nightmare Knight subplot is one of the few exceptions.
A little of is is blatant pandering to SJWs like having Peridot and those two princesses be gay, Rosemaster be trans and everything about Almond.
>>
>>77662467
Lets hope so. That was one groan-worthy "joke."
>>
Because you are all a bunch of edgelords.
>>
>>77662573
The hell is MGS comics?
My main grief with CQ is that the blandness of the art, story and characters has poisoned Paranatural too ssince Zack started hanging out with the artist. I haven't even read all of CQ, just the beginning parts, and it was immediately obvious that it was the direction that Paranatural is going more and more. It's just reaction face, reaction face, anime or pop-culture reference, any tense moments ruined by goofy "funny" resolution.
>>
Decent art

bad writing

abysmal pacing

histrionic creator
>>
>>77662573
Persecution complex.
>>
>>77662288

The art is lovely, and the Nightmare Knight and Disaster Masters' plot is interesting. Cucumber himself also seems like he has some places to go as a character, and there's some potential for it to get better overall.

There was a good bit of earlier stuff that thought it was being cleverer than it was, though.
>>
>>77663226
>art is lovely
I wouldn't go that far.
>>
>>77663277
The last update's worth of pages looked pretty damn fine artwise.
>>
>>77663051
>A little of is is blatant pandering to SJWs like having Peridot and those two princesses be gay, Rosemaster be trans and everything about Almond.

At a certain point, does it stop being pandering and start being "this author likes putting this stuff in her work"?

I mean...from what I read on /co/, nobody actually wants to write gay, trans, etc characters. Nobody wants to, ever, they just do it out of a craven desire for more pageviews or to satisfy the brutal whims of the all-powerful SJ cabal that squashes true artistic desire when it's not getting BLACKED.

Maybe she just thought "hey I'll put some non-straight characters in here, most stories don't have those"?
>>
>>77664188
If someone wants to write about LGBT characters, I'm not stopping them. If they have characters like that, though, they should address it in a meaningful way.

But having such characters for no good reason except just to say you do heavily smacks of being SJW.
It doesn't exactly help how the rest of the comic follows Tumblr sensibilities fairly well with its pastel/bright color palette and its videogame-subversion story.
>>
>>77664405
Wait, why should you have to justify why someone is gay or not?
>>
I'll probably try binging through this entire comic when it's done. The art looks very cutesy and wonderful but apparently the story doesn't move fast enough to pique a weekly interest.
>>
>>77664405

But...life is like that, anon. There's no justification for Ken, the Guy From Across The Hall, being gay. He's just gay. "Addressing it in a meaningful way" gets old, as /co/ has repeatedly pointed out. Let's say I put a gay guy named Ken in my comic, and instead of him just being incidentally gay, I make a point to explore his experience as a gay man, how he ended up across the hall, what workplace discrimination he faced before getting his barista job, and how his sexuality relates to the themes in my story.

Instead of being Ken, he is now Gay! Ken, and /co/ will fucking hate him because every time he shows up the comic turns into Here's Why Gay! Ken is Gay.

How do you address characters "in a meaningful way?" Do I need to address why a guy is straight, why a lady doesn't shave her legs, why a dude is Chinese? Or can I just decide hey, this one character is a gay dude and the princess is a tranny, accepting that they're based on people who actually exist, in the real world?

Half the time I wonder if people who get booty-blasted about diversity in comics live in rural areas or suburbia and never encounter the sexualities, genders, and races that get them so booty-blasted.
>>
>>77662288
Nightmare Knight is a good character but it's not enough to support the weight of all the comics problems.
Everything surrounding the main quest, heroes and Cordelia's gang is a fucking bore.
>>
>>77664623
>Half the time I wonder if people who get booty-blasted about diversity in comics live in rural areas or suburbia and never encounter the sexualities, genders, and races that get them so booty-blasted.

Actually I live in the city and meet these people all the time.
They disgust me and that's why I dislike seeing in fiction too.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.