[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
Some people say this show was racist . Where do you draw the line between funny racial steriotypes and racism?
>>
>>77637521
Funny racial sterotypes, by their very name, are racist.

However, comedy is looking at things and having a laugh about them. We all do weird things, no matter the skin color, and it's definitely possible to laugh at something because of a situation and not because you know of this or that stereotype of a particular group of people.
>>
Racial stereotypes are always racist.
>>
>>77637521
>Some people say this show was racist
Why? because of Omi?

You know the creator was asian, right?
>>
>>77637521
It's automatically racist once you bring up stereotypes asshat
>>
>>77637632
As long as they arent russian.
>>
>>77637638
It had a nigger named jamal. Not kidding.
>>
http://youtu.be/CNyHlSHbK4s
>>
>>77637657
I will pretend you didnt post him and we will go on with our lives without having to call each other faggots.
>>
File: 1448170761205.png (43 KB, 264x195) Image search: [Google]
1448170761205.png
43 KB, 264x195
>>77637654
So? In what way was he offensive? What, is it illegal to name black kids Jamal now?
>>
>>77637969
>What, is it illegal to name black kids Jamal now?
In a sense...yeah
>>
I'm interested in this question too because Minions clearly had comedic stereotypes of British people, but nobody batted an eye. If people did the same for Asians or blacks, people would smear Illumination Studios for being a bunch of racist, white pigs who are portraying blank and blank in a negative light.

I guess it has to do with circumstances? "Blacks have it much worse than Brits so we whites can't make fun of them as much, only blacks can make fun of their own people" or some backwards bullshit like that.
>>
>>77637969
Yes. Black characters must be names superman or james bond.
>>
>>77638058
This.
>>
>>77638058
punch up punch down
>>
Wait OP, are you serious?
>>
>>77638058
the stereotype of british people is akin to saying filipinos really like anime, it's the most basic surface level type of racial stereotype that has nearly no bad connotation behind it
>>
Racial stereotypes are racist, its just that people are offended by it if it effects their race or if they think that another race would be offended by it which is also racist. A perfect example, in Jessica Jones threads people complained that Luke Cage wasn't hood enough and didn't speak in slang yet bitched about how white men in the series were depicted as weak men.
>>
>>77637642
>>77637624
>>77637632
And they say /co/mblr isn't real.
Jesus christ what.
>>
>>77638172
Some animals are more equal than others.
>>
>>77638507
The problem is people have gotten so hyper-sensitive and prone to attacking one's character that now calling someone's character "racist" implies the creator is racist. That's not true. South Park has racist moments, but Matt and Trey aren't racist. But people are unable to separate the two and often their accusations have the implications of "That guy is a racist" rather than "That joke is racist".
>>
>>77638058
In despicable me 2 was it racist the the mexican villain was a complete stereotype but a positive one? Luncha villain

Yet it a Chinese villain was positively chinese people would claim yellowface. Its a difficult line
>>
>>77637521
>Where do you draw the line between funny racial steriotypes and racism?
When a show gets canceled over it, that's the line. I know it's pretty reactive, but that's the only time I care about it.
>>
>>77638724
Some people were offended by the Mexican villain, actually. Not a lot, but some. It wasn't as big of a deal because it was teasing more "Lucha culture" more than Mexican culture. If someone made fun of wrestlers, we wouldn't really think it was a jab at American redneck culture.

If the villain wore a sombrero and had a sidekick pet donkey, people would be more vocally upset.
>>
>>77638507
There's nothing inherently wrong with racist jokes
>>
>>77637521
There is no line, only thin-skinned little faggots that can't take a joke.
>>
>>77639287
I agree with this. Things are only a problem because people complain about them, The more complaining, the "bigger deal" it is. If no one complained, there wouldn't be a problem. A joke you don't like isn't at all the same as government-based problems, people don't need to fucking boycott and protest over it.
>>
>>77639382
It's one of the main reasons comedians don't go to campuses anymore, at least in the US; some student will get ass-ravaged and start some hashtag bullshit or something over basically nothing. After all, something is only as offensive as the listener is willing to make it.
>>
Comedy is funny. Racism isn't.
>>
>>77639639
Yes it is.
>>
>>77639677
It's, like, really funny when done well.
>>
If Omi's skin wasn't yellow, nobody would think this show was racist
>>
>>77637657

A joke can only go too far if its ends up physically hurting a person.

But that's just my opinion.
>>
>>77637521
There's no line to begin with.
>>
There's a huge difference between "culturally insensitive" and "racist", but most people fail to make the distinction and call anything 100% racist if it seems even vaguely stereotypical.
It doesn't matter if it's not insulting, it doesn't matter if it's about cultural trends which have nothing to do with concepts of "race"; people will take any excuse to get upset & feel morally superior.
>>
>>77642493
> Omi is the problem
All the others are huge stereotypes.
>>
>>77638507
>Any of those statements having to deal with tumblr
Are you blind, or just stupid?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.