[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have comics eclipsed anime/manga in terms of popularity among
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: nextwave fanart.jpg (133 KB, 469x700) Image search: [Google]
nextwave fanart.jpg
133 KB, 469x700
Have comics eclipsed anime/manga in terms of popularity among 20-somethings in the West? Because despite Crunchyroll blowing the fuck up enough to make Netflix envious, I don't hear much about anime in the mainstream media. But capes and beloved indie darlings get media attention everywhere these days.
>>
>>77493077
Anime is still there but it's not as popular anymore as it used to be.

Also nowadays you say you like Anime and a lot of normies think you're a disgusting pervert who is into hentai.
>>
not many realize this, but comics are separate from superheroes
so to answer your question, no
>>
>>77493345
>Also nowadays you say you like Anime and a lot of normies think you're a disgusting pervert who is into hentai.
When has this ever not been the case.
>>
>>77493077
Anime in the 2000s had a lot of western oriented material to get teenagers interested. (Think action shows like Samurai Champloo or Miyazaki films) More recently though the industry has pumped out show after show of moeblob highschool girls and nobody wants to watch that.
>>
>>77493345
back in the '80s and early to mid '90s anime was exotic, mysterious, erotic and awesome

then came the mon phase which paved the way for moe and it came crashing down.
>>
>>77493345
>Also nowadays you say you like Anime and a lot of normies think you're a disgusting pervert who is into hentai.

Do you live in a different time period? One where people still go " sushi, you mean it's like raw fish?!"
>>
>>77493077
>I don't hear much about anime in the mainstream media
Because anime is too far away for the mainstream media to mess with it in the creation phase. They don't want to inform. They want to influence.
>>
>>77493345

As oposed to when? The only time where it was "socially acceptable" to watch anime was back when we didn't know what "anime" was and jst watched DBZ and Pokemon because it was cool
>>
I'm pretty sure One Punch Man is better than anything the west has put out in a long time.
>>
Think of it like video games, OP.

The extremely hyped, outrageously profitable franchises (Batman, for example) eclipse everything, but everything else is irrelevant to the masses.

Japanese action/adventure series are still far more popular than their western counterparts on average, but they don't hold enough mass consciousness to matter.
>>
>>77493077
Manga is pretty big in europe, specially amongst teenagers.
Also capes are IP before being comics, so media coverage is vital for their expansion. Being published in the west is not vital for a manga/anime, since the work has already been published in japan. It's just side cash, so they don't need to wager on advertising and the like.

>>77497197
OPM is excellent, but that kind of statement makes you look like an uninformed fool / illiterate fanboi.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.