[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gerard Way & Becky Cloonan on "Doom Patrol"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10
File: doom patrol.jpg (884 KB, 1500x2303) Image search: [Google]
doom patrol.jpg
884 KB, 1500x2303
>The panel featuring their headliners Charlie Adlard and Gerard Way, moderated by Tommy Lee Edwards opened up for Q & A, and I asked my burning question to Gerard. I asked, “You say you loved X-Men, and interned for DC Comic, and they have a property that could use some help that’s very similar to the X-Men and your Umbrella Academy: The Doom Patrol. Would you ever consider writing Doom Patrol for DC?”.

>Well, to my surprise, Gerard said he had a pitch for Doom Patrol approved by DC, with Becky Cloonan on art and she even drew up character designs, but he hasn’t had time to make it fit his schedule yet. I asked if I could read his pitch, and he said yes. Then the question was asked if people in the packed 1000 person theater would read a Doom Patrol by Gerard and the crowd cheered.

I keep throwing money at the screen but it's not here yet.
>>
Source?
>>
Gimme rec list pls I know morrison's is good
>>
>>77452670
From what I see, Bleeding Cool report from NC Comicon.
>>
>>77452709
It is BC, I didn't put the link because everyone always whines about them but I like Way and the DP.
>>
>>77452709
Haven't been keeping up with shit, but, why is Gerard there, he writing something or just keeping up appearances?
>>
>>77452780
Way and Adlard (and Adam Hughes) are the featured guests at the con, not there to promote anything that I know of.
>>
>>77452604
>DP
>smilar to X-romance drama & sniktbub adventures

lolno

That aside, I'd like to see this. This could be the first run to match Morrison's and the first worthwile one after Pollack's.
>>
So just so we're clear, this isn't happening?
>>
>Morrisons apprentice wants a shot at the masters characters
neat
>>
>student of Grant writing DP

can't be bad, right?
>>
>>77453106
Sounds like it could eventually if both of them get the time, but correct. It's not happening yet.
>>
>>77453157
unless it's Millar, it's pretty much impossible to be horrible

take into account that last two DP runs were "Byrne presents: my teen girl fantasy vol. 33344334" and "Wacky adventures of Ambush Bug (help I don't get a single Morrison character but want to use them)" so pretty much anything other than the Lobdell pitch would be an improvement, too

here's hope for more Dada and Brain x Mallah, and more Cliff in ridiculous t-shirts
>>
>>77452680
Drake
Morrison
Pollack
>>
>>77453215
Giffen's DP was great. Especially the beginning where he basically killed off every Byrne OC from the previous shit run.
>>
>>77452680
Drake if you like silver age weirdness. Mento a shit though
Morrison's a must read
Pollack's decent but the weirdness is somewhat unified. And if you got attached to Jane from Morrison's run you might no like it, still, worth reading.

Don't touch the rest though
Arcudi is subpar, go read his BPRD instead.
Byrne is a tragedy.
Kupperberg just wanted to write X-Men and has shitty ocs.
Giffen is unfunny and like the other anon said butchered a lot of Morrison's characters, especially Nobody
>>
>>77453273
It was great when it was its own thing and I liked the black hole villain.

It was shit when he touched anything Morrison though.
>>
>>77453281
I always forget about Arcudi's DP even though Fever was pretty hot
>>
That would be good, I love Way.
But I don't like Cloonan's art.
>>
File: Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_26_Textless.jpg (589 KB, 1024x1527) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_26_Textless.jpg
589 KB, 1024x1527
>>77453514
Personally I'd love to see Simon Bisley or Q Hayashida drawing DP, but neither's going to happen and since honestly Case's art wasn't anything special, Icould live with Cloonan on art duties.
>>
>>77453514
>But I don't like Cloonan's art.
Why?
>>
>>77453514
>But I don't like Cloonan's art.
How?
>>
File: menage-a-trois.jpg (154 KB, 742x664) Image search: [Google]
menage-a-trois.jpg
154 KB, 742x664
>>77453215
>lobdell's pitch
>>
>>77454176
that shit was basically "Teen Titans but with Bizarro and Platinum"

what was Platinum ever doing there without other MM and the doc
>>
File: DP_0_lineup2MINI.jpg (149 KB, 1600x439) Image search: [Google]
DP_0_lineup2MINI.jpg
149 KB, 1600x439
>>77454198
>Madame .44
>Swamp thing's daughter
>Zachary Zatara
Did he pick these name out of a hat?
>>
>>77454270
that's a horrible design for Platinum, holy shit

the spike diadem from New 52 is worse though
>>
I just want to see Becky drawing a book again. I'm glad she's got goof writing gigs but shit I want Wolves 2 or something not written by Brian Wood.
>>
>>77454270
Platinum makes me think she's wearing Mercury.
>>
I want this

But can Cloonan draw and write 2+ books at a time?
>>
>>77454270
>Platinum
>not Tungsten
>>
OH THANK YOU GOD
>>
>>77454771
From the sound of things, this will probably be a mini-series, so she can get it done between other things. I doubt it will be ongoing since Way has other stuff going on.

I wish I was wrong though.
>>
>>77454855
A miniseries would be good too
>>
>>77454855
Maybe it's an Earth One ogn?
>>
>>77453215

I dunno, it would have been very different, but DP is a property that could benefit from a drastic revamp. Lobdell's pitch is so bizarre it might have actually worked due to how removed it was from the original team.
>>
>>77455032
Now THAT would be fucking sweet.
But I doubt DC wants to risk doing an OGN on something that might not sell, like Doom Patrol.
>>
>>77454176
animal-vegetable-mineral-man
>>
>>77453674
>>77454074
I find her work and style uninspired, the way she draws human figures is boring, for lack of a better termine, and her storytelling is average in my opinion.
At least for the mostra parte, that's it, in her best days I can appreciate her work actually, but it is rare honestly, I usually feel a strange emptiness when I read comic books drawn by her.

I'm sorry guys, I'd prefer other artists, Bisley would be good as the other anon said.
>>
>>77455657
To each his own I guess. I really like her art. And her writing too.

>I usually feel a strange emptiness when I read comic books drawn by her

It's funny you say this, because her self-published short stories frequently make me feel that emptiness too, but in that case that's entirely the point.
>>
Is Becky still homeless?
>>
>Cloonan/Way Doom Patrol
Well great, now I'm gonna have this erection all day.
>>
>>77453232
>Pollack
Absolutely not.
>>
File: Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_39_Textless.jpg (206 KB, 850x1257) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Patrol_Vol_2_39_Textless.jpg
206 KB, 850x1257
>>77455115
>but DP is a property that could benefit from a drastic revamp
This. If you end up reusing Morrison characters and themes then you'll simply be an overreaching baboon. Don't try to match him, just do your own thing and try to be as far away as possible from what he did, because if you're intention is to draw parallels to his run then you have already lost.

With that said, not Lobdell please.
>>
>>77452604
1. Way is basically Morrison's writing disciple, so it's basically Morrison writing Doom Patrol again.

2. Umbrella Academy was Way writing Doom Patrol already.

This is basically a triple decker burger of Doom Patrol. I'm not sure if it's healthy.
>>
>mfw the brotherhood of dada might come back
>>
>>77456584
If they do it needs to be a new roster. Only Nobody and maybe Number None should stay.
>>
What's /co/'s general opinion of Umbrella Academy?
>>
>>77456500
What's wrong with Pollack's run?
>>
>>77456500
>muh tranny meme hate
Fuck off.
>>
>>77456491
She moved to Texas I think? I follow her on twitter but I don't pay a ton of attention
>>
>>77456731
Bandage People.

It's not bad though, it's just different from Morrison's and as someone said before the weirdness gets somewhat uniform, it's more or less 80% references to kabbalah. And honestly period blood flood and Codpiece were weird ideas, in the bad way. But Coagula's fine and Caulder gets a plenty of good development.

Some people say it's bad due to lack of Morrison's characters but he asked himself to not use Jane, Danny and the Brotherhood so I don't see the problem here. I'm not sure if it was a good idea to leave Cliff on the roster sometimes, though.
>>
>>77456707
I've seen mostly praise for it, haven't read it yet myself though
>>
>>77456707
Great, one of my favourite cape comics, very entertaining.
>>
>>77456731
Tungsten dies and Magnus doesn't rebuild him
>>
File: CTzUIm-WsAAwwPw.jpg:large.jpg (76 KB, 674x1024) Image search: [Google]
CTzUIm-WsAAwwPw.jpg:large.jpg
76 KB, 674x1024
He tweeted some stuff out

>Just so you know, DC approved all of this stuff but it always came down to me not being able to meet deadlines, so it's on me.

>From the DP pitch, art and colors by @beckycloonan. From left to right (Cliff, Negative Man, Terry None, Bryan Ferry
>>
>>77452604
Fuck Doom Patrol, he should be doing more SP//dr.
>>
File: tumblr_mhdkf3taat1qj77gfo1_500.jpg (137 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhdkf3taat1qj77gfo1_500.jpg
137 KB, 500x661
>>77453635
>Hayashida's Doom Patrol
someone calls a wishmaster or somethin
>>
>>77457562
Shitty Cliff, amazing Larry.

>>77457611
>shitty one-off variant Spider-Man
>better than the Patrol
>>
>>77457562
Holy fuck what is this Robotman meant to be
also kinda worried that those two in the back aren't visibly deformed and don't have any flashy costumes. And it better not be Number None

>>77457711
She did some covers for Marvel, didn's she?
>>
File: ant-man-last-days-1-v1.jpg (396 KB, 900x1384) Image search: [Google]
ant-man-last-days-1-v1.jpg
396 KB, 900x1384
>>77457893
only thing i can find
>>
>>77457952
There was an interview on her blog where she said she likes western capeshit too
>>
>>77457562
He also said it's not happening
>>
>>77457562
>Skinny, lanky, gaunt robo man.
I"m a hungry skeleton IRL and i am offended by this. He's never had a better design than during the Morrison years, why change it so horribly?
>Negative Man
As played by Johnny Cage
>Terry None
I'd care if she was related to Number None, but that's giving them too much credit
>Bryan Ferry
Literally who? At least he's got a cool nose plug thing that apparently turns smells to sound , and makes no goddamn sense
>>
>>77457562
what is this, Gorillaz ?
>>
>>77457562
Really nailed the "tormented big guy in a clunky robot shell" look for Cliff and "pile of misery in bandages" for Larry...

Also for a moment I've thought the masked guy is Larry and the girl is Jane.
>>
>>77453215
>Wacky adventures of Ambush Bug (help I don't get a single Morrison character but want to use them)"
Ambush Bug appeared in the last fourth of the series.
>>
not working on hotel oblivion. that's fine. no one's been waiting for that or anything.
>>
>>77457562
>something that may or may not be Number None and art-themed guy

Fucking monkey's paw. It's because of that post from a few months ago in a dream roster thread where I wanted Nobody and None on the roster, right
>>
>>77456582
Never is too much of good things, anon
>>
>>77457562
This is about as bad as Byrne's team was

It sure does try to be like Morrison, and there even are random art references (art gimp is based on some British glam rock singer), but only in all the wrong ways. I'd actually take Johns' whitebread mischaracterized Patrol over this, at least Cliff and Larry didn't look like punchable sociology majors in JL.
>>
How would it be any different than his Umbrella Academy?
>>
>>77457711
>wishmaster
I totally forgot those movies existed.
>>
>>77457893
I'd like a less bulky Cliff...but not necessarily that one.
>>
>>77458223

from OP:
>he hasn’t had time to make it fit his schedule yet

So he's not actually working on this.
>>
>>77459049
He said he won't be working on DP at all because DC was unhappy anout him being unable to work with their deadlines.

Thus Cliff and Larry won't look like 20-somethings in the forseeable future.
>>
>>77457562
And my hype is rescinded. I don't think I could suffer through those designs even if the writing were spectacular.

>>77457728
It may not be better, but it certainly had a promising start. At least it had more potential than the other Spider-Variants that got promoted.
>>
Since it seems the consensus on this is negative, how would you approach a new DP ongoing, /co/?
>>
>>77459692
I'd like something related to "new" mental problems issuing from our information age, the compression of time induced by hyper communication, the end of territorial identity, etc.... Like Planetary gone wrong
>>
>>77459905
make time the central motif like art was, in a way, for Morrison, kabbalah for Polack, and weird science for Drake. Character or arc based on McTaggarts paradox, Cliff and Larry (they're the core of the Patrol for me and the only characters I feel really should show up again) struggling with chronology of own history and questioning if time flows in the right direction from them, villain who lives between the smallest possible periods of time to separate... there's a lot to do with this
>>
>>77459692
I wouldn't, because no one here is a professional writer, despite what some people here may think of themselves.
>>
>>77460073
>>77459905
This and also the notion of reality VS media depiciton of reality, becoming more important and "real" than reality.
>>
>>77460073
>villain who lives between the smallest possible periods of time to separate
He does what now?
>>
>>77458170
and it was easily the worst part of it
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.