[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For DC, I love the universe overall as a whole. For Marvel,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
For DC, I love the universe overall as a whole.

For Marvel, I love just one character but they are my absolute favorite.

Anyone else feel this way?
>>
>>77417138

Nope I'm the same way. I love some individual characters in Marvel, but with DC I'm more fascinated by the entire universe, its history and structure and all the connections and legacies between the superheroes.
>>
More or less the same for me.

I only care about Marvel because Spidey.

It's kinda the same thing for DC, because the only reason I even read comics is Dick Grayson, but I love so many different DC characters so yeah. I enjoy stories with all these characters, so yeah.
>>
>>77417138
Same desu senpai, except my favourite characters are DC anyway.
>>
This all stems from Marvel's original idea of being about the characters and their lives. Alot of people like Spidey and X-men for their character plots, but the world of DC is more cohesive and free flowing.

Also DC has actual villains, not just an entire city of jerks, and the biggest jerks are usually the heroes.
>>
>>77417138
I feel like DC's heroes are shit, boring, other than a few like Captain Marvel (Shazam for normies), but their villains are great, whenever I read a dc comic I find myself more intrested in what a rogue is doing than how Batman is preping, or whoever Dick is seducing this week, or whoever Superman is inspiring, I'd much rather read about Clayface trying to escape Gotham and Batman or something to that effect. For me, I find that DC's universe is the perfect villian.
>>
>>77417138
This has pretty much been the case of the Big 2 since the beginning desu

DC has always had that grand scale feeling since it has always used its multiverse to its fullest effect whereas Marvel haven't much with theirs other than to establish that it exists. Marvel strengths lies with it's characters individually; Stan Lee started out the line with the ideology of making characters with flaws, which puts more focus on the people than the world because you want to read how someone could have such extraordinary abilities but still have bad shit happen to their livelihood like any other person.

DC stories are grand adventure epics
Marvel stories are character studies
>>
The only bit of Marvel I actually care for is Wolverine, though my interest has grown in DareDevil since watching the series.
>>
>>77417578
I somewhat agree with you, but I think I still prefer the heroes at DC over Marvel, because of that god like aspect they have.
However I will agree DC has the better villains and they are genuinely interesting characters, especially with villains like Sinestro, Lex Luthor, The Rogues, and more
>>
File: both kinds.jpg (291 KB, 1000x1124) Image search: [Google]
both kinds.jpg
291 KB, 1000x1124
>this thread
>>
>>77417649
well anon if we are going to discuss other comic companies and compare them, why not
we can discuss the postives and negatives of
DC
Marvel
IDW
Vertigo
Dynamite
Archie Comics
Top Cow
and whatever other comic companies are out there.

I think OP just wanted to keep discussion between the big two though, however I don't mind a derailing for better conversations
>>
>>77417138
I like the DCU more and my absolute favorite character is a DC character

I like a few marvel characters but I don't care about the MU as a whole
>>
>>77417138
I grew up DC comics, and I have more connection to that universe, hell my favorite characters are DC characters.

However I have no hate for Marvel, and I have the characters I like there, but I never felt the same attachment with that universe or characters.

DC for me has always been about The Flash, Green Lantern, Batman, Superman, Captain Marvel, and more I just love so much there

As for Marvel I have found myself enjoying Spider-Man on occasion and X-Men, and Deadpool when there is a good writer on the book.
>>
>>77417633
>Sinestro and Lex
>Villains

But seriously, one of the main things I dislike about DC's heroes is that Godly, higher than man aspect, (though it works really really well with Lex and Supes). Also, I wouldn't say that DC has "better" villains, it's just that their villains are better (more intresting) than their heroes. I think this is why the orginal Suicide Squad by John Ostrander was so fucking amazing, it wasn't about gods, or paragons, or trying to make you like a shit character Harley Quinn, I'm looking at you, it was about vile people, shit people working for a shady government for their own gains, but as you looked closer those "shit people" suddenly became the best, Digger mostly. But, dispite all of this, the number of Marvel villains that I enjoy far outweighs the number of DC rogues I enjoy. It doesn't matter if I stand alone here, because opinions tend to shift from person to person , but I've always enjoyed Marvel far more than DC.

Inb4 movieshill

Son, I was alive and enjoying Marvel for a good 15 years before Ironman was announced.
>>
>>77417762
It's like you and I are mirror copies of each other. It's no surprised that you'd be more attached to the comic company you were raised on.
>>
>>77417138
I'm the opposite of you. I like the Marvel Universe as a whole, and in DC I'm really just a fan of Superman.
>>
I never could get into Marvel outside of Xmen.

Cyclops isn't my about absolute favourite (Dick Grayson is) but he's definitely up there.
>>
>>77417703
Dynamite wants to be Marvel but has even less talented writers and decent concepts since Big 2 sucked everything up.

Top Cow remain true to their name cuz DAMN THOSE TITTIES SON

IDW is like, those cash cow guys right? At least Dark Horse has SOME IP despite also shilling out some bit. But when TV shows and movies wanna cash in on comics without needing to shill for Big 2, they go to IDW.

You're missing the best indie publisher though: Image. Where good writers go. And then Avatar if you like Lady Death and gore.
>>
>>77417826
Hey man power to you, I have my Marvel villains I love to, but I have always swayed to DC and I am glad that you have the villains you love too
>>
>>77417138
Sorta. Marvel has some characters I love but DC has the good good guys and bad bad guys I want in Superhero comics.
>>
>>77417914
I love how true this is, at this moment IDW is probably the closest to catching up on the big 2 with sales and popularity and that's only because they have become the company that just shills on nostalgia and popular things in media. However I can not lie their TMNT comic is probably one of the best things out there right now
>>
To be honest In DC I only care about Billy and the Superfamily.
>>
>>77417847
I know man, feels good to be DC right now, DCYOU has been a good ride so far and Flash, mmm
>>
>>77417920
If we keep being civil like this were going to get banned, you know that right?

ye cunt ye
>>
>>77418024
You'll hear anons complain about it, but ANAD Marvel has been pretty great so far as well, truely it's a great time to be a fan of the big two.
>>
>>77417138
I like a couple DC characters, and I like the hypercrisis stuff, but as a setting it doesn't do anything for me.
>>
>>77418218

Some of that's because the shared universe hasn't gotten a lot of consistent development since the New 52 hit so it still feels very disparate and scattershot, rather than a single universe with a unified history and connections between the superhero community.
>>
>>77418135

It's weird because I'm totally 90% a DC guy but with All-New All-Diff Marvel, I've been taking interest in the "New and Different" characters. I still don't care for Marvel but all the newer ones feel cool to me, like Kamala Kahn, Jane Foster Thor, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Silk, even Robbie Reyes. Looking forward to Amadeus Cho Hulk especially. I think I would've been 50/50 with Marvel and DC if these characters existed earlier. Is it just me, or is Marvel trying to "DC" it up over there?
>>
Reading this thread, I think I've realized what DC and Marvel do that separates fans and that I believe are the universes levels of theatrics.

Im having a hard time explains this mostly cause I think everyone knows it even if they never thought of it this way but a good Marvel story typical feels more like a inspiring or harrowing moment of history with people that we can observe from a distance and have the opportunity to get inside they're head more than the people who actually knew them.

DC is more of an opera. A bitching rock opera. By all means you can have the relatable qualities within the stories and characters but that's not the point, you want to be swept away in another world and your enjoyment of that ride depends on how much you're willing to let go.

...damn I love DC comics.
>>
>>77419395
Marvel has been about relating to real world issues. That's what X-Men has been about, that's what Civil War was probably meant to be about, Spider-man was probably meant to appeal really get in touch with the average Joe. So it's no surprise that they're frontlining with Kamala, X-23, female Thor and Chinese Hulk right now because diversity is literally the thing on the plate. Have no doubt that they'll cycle them out for the next social issue, whatever it is.

With DC, since Crisis on Infinite Earths era, they've been more about epics and operas, just as you say. Less screen time for the common man as you would see in Marvel, and when it does happen, it feels much more awkward than it does in Marvel.

Of course, I'm generalising here.
>>
>>77417649
>Talking about the Big 2
>b-but there are more than 2!!!

Is the same as
>Talking about the Trinity
>B-b-but there are more than 3 heroes guyze
>>
>>77417138
If you switch marvel and dc around I feel the same way
>>
>>77419674
>Less screen time for the common man as you would see in Marvel, and when it does happen, it feels much more awkward than it does in Marvel.

Says you, I LOVE DC's cast of C and D listers. 52 may be a big epic story, but it's one with a very grounded character focus of how this larger crisis affects so many different parts of the universe.
>>
>>77419674
Just look at the factions in both universes.
DC is about feudal houses, Marvel is about states, agencies and ethnic groups with some gangs now.
DC tells dramatic stories, Marvel tells political stories.
Look at who cares to commit to a rivalry and who rather fights over value systems and rights.
>>
I never liked DC. Only good thing about DC is Batman's rogue gallery.

Marvelbro for life.
>>
I love the DC Universe, and while I definitely like some Marvel, I will admit any day to being a Marvel casual. I love the MCU and most of what little I've read was early Ultimate stuff.

But I grew up on Bruce Timm's Batman, Superman, and JLU. Green Lantern: Rebirth is the reason I actually read comics rather than just watching adaptations. Hal Jordan is my favorite super hero, followed by Barry Allen. The latter happened because when The Flash started airing on CW, /co/ dumped a shit-ton of Flash storytimes, and I fell in love with those comics. I like Batman, and I've read enough Superman to know that "Superman is boring because he's too powerful" is bullshit. The events mean something to me because of how invested I've gotten in what happens to these characters and their worlds.

Of course, right now my game is mostly in Star Wars comics, which are written and published by Marvel, but don't take place in its universe.
>>
>>77420650

>Star Wars
OVERRATED
>>
>>77417871
>I'm the opposite of you. I like the Marvel Universe as a whole, and in DC I'm really just a fan of Superman.
Same but for me its Superman and Tim Drake
>>
File: captain miller.jpg (146 KB, 600x934) Image search: [Google]
captain miller.jpg
146 KB, 600x934
>>77417138
i prefer the marvel universe but prefer the Dc characters.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.