[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he do anything wrong ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
Did he do anything wrong ?
>>
Did he want to make peace on Earth? Yep.
Did he kill bunch of people? Yep.
>>
Didn't cover his tracks good enough.
>>
File: Ozy.jpg (335 KB, 728x455) Image search: [Google]
Ozy.jpg
335 KB, 728x455
Literally Nothing Wrong
>>
Yes. both Morally and Criminally.

was it necessary? also yes.
>>
That's for you to decide.

However, it's worth noting that he has doubts himself about the efficacy of the plan, in the end. He asks Doc if it has ended, to which he gets the "Nothing ever ends" reply, which leaves him to agonize over if he did the right thing.

Depends on your morality overall, and if you believe this plan has brought about any hope of lasting peace.
>>
>>77393491
He did everything wrong. He's the classic tyrant, in that he believes he knows what's best for you, and you're simply too stupid to figure it out for yourself. Thus he builds an alliance between two countries on a fragile tower of lies, and the ending shows the truth will get out eventually.
>>
>>77393491
he wore a really stupid outfit.
>>
His plan is doomed to fail because he invented the War on (alien) Terror to replace the Cold War.
>>
>>77393597
Rohrschach put a used diaper on his face and nobody complained about that looking stupid.
>>
>>77393625
True, one Cold War for another does not equal peace. Hell, it'd encourage even more nuclear buildup to combat the new threat.
>>
File: we're all gonna die.png (116 KB, 958x682) Image search: [Google]
we're all gonna die.png
116 KB, 958x682
give the way we're on the edge of a second cold war, we could use a veidt right now
>>
>>77393504
except he didn't achieve peace at all.
>>
>>77393491
How long was his plan going to last before everyone starts to kill each other again?
>>
Depends if nuking million is justified by temporary peace
(Yes nukes, the one thing the movie did better then the comic, why a giant monster?)
>>
>>77393686
No, we do not need a sociopath with a messiah complex. Any kind of "ends justify the means" thinking is so incredibly dangerous. It's the justification for every brutal totalitarian regime on the planet. The Khmer Rouge killed 1/4th of the entire population for the greater good. Mao's cultural revolution killed millions through terror and starvation to achieve the greater good.
>>
>>77393686
>world leaders
>supposed to protect humanity
I cannot fit enough 'HA's in a single thread to express how hilariously wrong this is.
>>
>>77393743
The idea was to give the impression that a blatantly external threat was a bigger problem than Cold War-era dick measuring.

It was supposed to be an alien, not a monster, with the idea that if more came humanity would be proper fucked.
>>
I like that these threads can be stealth political philosophy threads. Beats going to /pol/, that's for sure.
>>
>>77393701
What he want doesn't mean that he'll get it.
>>
>>77393858
so, how about them abortions?
>>
>>77393886
I'm a libertarian, and we tend to be pretty split on that. I personally believe that the fetus has a right to life.
>>
>>77393910
well I'm also a libertarian, or at least that the closest definition I fit into, and I believe in the right of pro choice. particularly in situational cases where having the child would be detrimental to both the parent(s) and the child.

P.S. fetus is technically a parasite by definition
>>
>>77393521
>also yes
not necessarily.
>>
Way I see it, he created a period of peace and cooperation that would last long enough to allow humanity to join in a collaborative Space Age, instead of the Space Race we ended up within real life, which petered out after reaching the beginning of its potential.

If human civilization is spread across several planets and moons, it's way more difficult for us to wipe ourselves out in a single nuclear war. In the Watchmen universe, Ozymandias's actions were necessary for the long-term survival of the species, even if the peace is not long-term.
>>
>>77393701
>All the news at the end of the book is about how all hostility between the US and Russia has abated in the wake of the space squid attack

Yeah, no peace at all, do grow up, Anon. Yeah, his peace probably isn't going to last forever, but he made one.
>>
>>77393491
Literally nothing wrong
Rosharch apologizers get out
>>
>>77393764
That's literally their job

The fact that none of them are actually aware of that is a whole other thing
>>
Oh, hell yeah, that was an ethical nightmare. A flimsy armistice relying on provably wrong information and temporary fears, isolated around the predictions of a single individual revolving around acts that were so aesthetically atrocious from every conceivable person's perspective that if it were ever revealed that results would shatter just to spite the origin.

Every single aspect violates well-founded value systems and governmental checks and its success relies entirely on a single individual's supposed providence over every single other person in existence. There are no good kings, history has proven this. It is not a nature of character, but of individuality.
>>
>>77394498

Even Rorschach agreed with the plan in practice, though. Ethically he felt he had to oppose it due to his black-and-white morality, but if he had any serious intention to return to civilization and blab, he would have attempted to do so quietly.

Instead, he announced his opposition openly, which allowed him an "out" from compromising on his morality explicitly when Doc was forced to kill him.
>>
'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

He may have achieved greatness, but just like Manhattan tells him at the end nothing ever really ends. His peace will last for years maybe even decades, but it will end. Worse case scenario is that people discover the truth and then it would all be for nothing
>>
Holy shit you people are dumb.

Ozy was the man from the black freighter.

A fool thinking he was doing the right thing but it turns out he was the monster.

You guys are dum dums.
>>
>>77394029
>P.S. fetus is technically a parasite by definition

Parasitism by definition describes a relationship between different species. Since a fetus is the same species as its host, it does not fit the definition of a parasite. Your loose and unscientific definition of 'parasite' would include marsupial babies.
>>
>>77395963
You could also relate it to several other characters, including Rorschach. Rorschach's whole investigation does nothing but pile up the body count in an attempt that nearly stops the end of the Cold War.

Seeing watchmen in black and white as opposed to shades of grey is a mistake in the first place.
>>
>>77395618
>but if he had any serious intention to return to civilization and blab, he would have attempted to do so quietly
Furthermore he knows the Owlship transportation that brought them there isn't up to snuff for a return flight but doesn't even try to commandeer anything to viably get him to safety, he just walks out into the frigid nothing at a very easily caught pace.
>>
>>77393491

He did everything wrong. Everything. The cold war ended six years after his stupid plan came to fruition anyway, so he murdered 3 million people for nothing.

There is no moral grey area here. None at all. His plan was stupid.

Alan Moore isn't the genius everyone thinks he is.
>>
>>77394029

>P.S. fetus is technically a parasite by definition

This is the stupidest internet meme since "Jesus was actually black."
>>
>>77396650
You can't compare the cold wars of watchmen and the cold war in the real world, because the circumstances leading to the actual comic are completely different, mostly due to Dr. Manhattan.
>>
>>77394164
So... when the cold war ended and the various space agencies became cooperative rather than competitive... where's this big accomplishment of yours?
>>
>>77395878
Well I coulda told you that. Manhattan spelling it out for me makes me think Moore assumes I'm an idiot.
>>
>>77393737
Depends on how well he keeps the body of the "Alien Squid" underwraps.

Though, horrifyingly enough, I suspect that after a while, he'll feel the need to sic ANOTHER horrible Alien on a major metropolitan city after a while. Around the point when people started feeling like New York was just an isolated incident.
>>77394029
>>77393910
>>77393886
Pro-Lifer Democrat. Nothing quite like hearing about other Pro-Lifers and desperately wishing they'd get off their side.
>>
>>77396687

Yeah well... I always thought he didn't belong in the story anyway. He should've had his own comic.
>>
>>77396760
Wasn't watchmen originally supposed to be the DC lineup?

Doc was Superman.
>>
>>77396779
>Doc was Superman.
Doc was Captain Atom, jesus Anon.
>>
>>77396779
Nah it was a bunch of ... Charlton (I think) comics characters.

But DC wanted to use blue beetle and the question for future stories.
>>
>>77393686
>clock time-to-midnight didn't spike in 1962
It's shit
>>
>>77393521
>was it necessary? also yes
I forgot about how the Cold War never ended IRL.
>>
>>77397445
It reflects the general state of affairs at the time of publishing. By the time the 1962 issue had been released, the Cuban Missile Crisis had been resolved.
>>
>>77393491
>30 minutes ago
>>
>>77398528
The cold war IRL didn't involve a human god.
>>
File: ExgQT9O.png (131 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
ExgQT9O.png
131 KB, 1200x750
>>77399003
close enough
>>
>>77393491
He took a shit and didn't flush thirty-five minutes ago.

Bitch to be you right now.
>>
>>77399776
A rather crude but apt summary.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.