[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why /co/ doesn't like this Joker?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 6
File: dark-knight-joker-560.jpg (146 KB, 562x330) Image search: [Google]
dark-knight-joker-560.jpg
146 KB, 562x330
>>
File: 1446278838960.jpg (157 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1446278838960.jpg
157 KB, 500x600
>>
Anything not TAS Joker has been shit really. Ledger didn't portray the Joker, he portrayed a terrorist in clown makeup, he didn't tell any jokes, or make use of the clown gimmick, the real Joker doesn't care about proving anything.
>>
>>77381226
David Ayer's tattoo fetish is shit
>>
I'M GONNA FREAK
>>
>>77381238
I actually agree and hate the scene where he kills hockeypads on tv for the news
Joker doesn't care who knows him if anything he would've killed hockey pads somewhere he's know batman would find him on his own
It's their love story for them 2 only to know
>>
He was a great villain he just wasn't a great Joker. Much like how the first two Dark Knight movies overall were pretty good as movies, but not great as adaptations.
>>
>>77381199
He's a murderer who makes a half-assed attempt to dress up like a clown, doesn't tell a single good joke, and makes some poorly conceived claims about society which the public are all too eager to grab onto and recite like parrots.

Half of the shit he espouses lately is "oh, life is hard, we're all silly for thinking things matter, why bother with anything, just act like an idiot, it's cool."
>>
Nostalgia faggotry as exemplefied by this post
>>77381238

Heat Legend Joker was pretty funny. His pencil trick was good. Also bugs bunny would approve of his crossdressing.
>>
Because he's not Mark Hamill. This place doesn't read comics, but they sure as fuck will let you know they've watched the Timm Verse and those are the only versions of characters they think exist.
>>
>>77381275
So you're saying that /co/ is gay.
Fair enough.
>>
He was hilarious...as hilarious as you can be in a gritty movie
>I'm gonna make this pencil disappear
>I just want my phone call
>Dressing in drag for comedic effect while still clearly wearing clown makeup

But, here are some reasons I see people hate it
1. Not muh fags
2. Muh fun fags
3. Contrarians who hate anything that gets praise because their fedora commands it
>>
>>77381275
That's kind of what happened, Autismo
>>
>>77381199
I thought he was great, the whole cinema cracked up laughing at the pencil trick, and him nervously waddling away in drag after the bomb delayed.

I feel like he should have given one more alternate backstory, though. Would have made Batman's 'don't care *thunk*' have a bit more gravitas.
>>
>>77381199
In it's own right, this version of the Joker was effective as a movie villain. But since this version resonated so much in pop culture DC adapted the Joker in it's other properties to closer resemble it. I think that's why so much of /co/ resents it. Not simply because of "not muh", but because it ushered in a total removal of "muh" for the foreseeable future.
>>
He's not funny

also he's physically repulsive.
>>
>>77381846
All jokers are repulsive.

Fuck clowns.
>>
Seriously, the movie wouldn't have worked if the Joker went all Cesar Romero in the middle of the Nolan-verse. The movie was pretty much perfect in every way. Though, I can see where people might get a little bootybruised with >>77381785
>>
>>77381226
Because he's either the Joker inspired by Gotham's Jerome or he's Jerome brought back to life.
>>
>>77381963
You talkin' to me bitch boi? I'll cut ya chicken neck chicken boi
>>
>>77382240
Is that a wooden axe?
>>
>reminder that there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who think TDK Joker was a fail villain, but think Yellow Jacket in Ant-Man gave a spine chilling performance
>>
>>77382274
Don't remind me he was spooky I was worried a guy would shoot up my theater after being influenced by that marvel villain
>>
>>77381238
>he didn't tell any jokes
>>77381305
>doesn't tell a single good joke
>>77381846
>He's not funny

I swear these people haven't actually watched the movie in years, and have had their memories of it so incredibly warped by the internet and circlejerking that there's barely any of the movie still in there. The Joker had tons of jokes and funny gags in the movie.

>No no no no no, I kill the bus driver.

>pencil disappear

>let's not BLOW things out of proportion

>You think you can steel from us and just walk away?
>Yeah.

>Let her go!
>Very poor choice of words!

>Never start with the head, victim gets all fuzzy

Just off the top of my head. And just a bunch of little moments were very Joker-esque and amusing. The way he searched the crowd for Harvey Dent, how he just addressed Lau as the TV, or pointed to the Chechen like a child when he agreed with him. And stuff like burning the money, the bank heist, the bombs on the boat, that's all very very Joker.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the definitive joker by any stretch of the imagination, and was a pretty big adaptation, but people seriously overblow how far he was from Hammil Joker.
>>
>>77382274
>Yellow Jacket in Ant-Man gave a spine chilling performance
Cross actually had some really good deliveries toward the end.

>Are you a monster?
>...
>Do I look like a monster?

>I want my daddy...
>I want your daddy too.

The character was shit, but the actor put a really fucking solid performance into it, did a lot with what he had to work with.
>>
>>77381238
>he didn't tell any jokes

The motherfucker set a fire truck on fire.
>>
>>77381199
>>77381226
/co/ hates everything.
There are legitimate reasons to dislike either or both, but /co/'s reason is just because of general loathing of all things.
>>
>>77382390
I think the best part with Cross is the scene where he's in Pym's house.
>>
>>77382390
I'm not saying he had no good lines or even that he wasn't entertaining in his own way, I'm saying he was basically just another evil Stark type of guy. Some good lines? Sure, a truly threatening villain? Not in my book...hell how shit of a villain was Electro in ASM2, but you can't tell me he didn't seem like an ominous mother fucker in his intro scene no matter how stupidly it happened. Magneto in First Class/DOFP is a hero at times and even he's pretty fuckin scary in certain scenes

>>77382366
What this guy said
>>
>>77382274
>Tfw like both

I guess im an idort.
>>
So do people that dislike Heath's Joker appreciate Leto's Joker more?
>>
File: 1446574409880.jpg (61 KB, 640x920) Image search: [Google]
1446574409880.jpg
61 KB, 640x920
They do not like characters who are intelligent, nihilistic, with a wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>77381199
Too public and had way too much to prove instead of having fun
>>77381226
Too fun and was getting keked instead of being more public
>>
>>77382785
I doubt it. Leto's joker is clearly inspired by Heath's
>>
>>77382919
If he believed in nothing, he wouldn't have been so upset when he was wrong. He's anarchistic, not nihilistic.

(I know it's a meme)
>>
>>77382274
/co/ is disgustingly pleb central and proud of it. Only learning about this now?

/co/ only has patrician tastes when it comes to comics and that's only because the plebs are too casual for actual comics.
>>
>>77382962
Well the board is about comics and cartoons and there's never really been a life changing example of either so they like things the more childish they are while keeping in some mature elements
I think Clarence is the greatest cartoon made in the last 10 years
When I say that out loud it's pretty sad but I enjoy it more than I would live action
>>
>>77383017

>I think Clarence is the greatest cartoon made in the last 10 years

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one who actually likes this cartoon. It's a pretty damn chill show about suburban kids being kids. And retards on /co/ actually compare it to fucking Edd, Ed, 'n Eddy, a show about slapstick and kids acting way older than they are supposed to be. The closest it could come to in comparison is Recess. And even then it's still falls for the tropes of kids acting like teens and it adds some fantasy elements. The worst is when people on /co/ say that Clarence has autism when he's the most normal kid of them all. And yet they unironically emphasize with Jeff when he is the one that is clearly a headcase. I can't believe I share a board with people this stupid and very unaware of themselves. I'm finally glad someone with taste exists on /co/.
>>
These retards will tell you "it's because he's not funny!", or "it's too edgy", or "not muh Joker". But the truth is /co/ doesn't like just to be contrarian. God forbid you faggots like anything anyone else does.
>>
>>77381707
Not to mention him clapping for Gordon's promotion.

I get why anons are saying he's not like the Joker in the comics, but those saying he wasn't ever funny must have seen a different movie
>>
>>77382390
>Do I look like a monster?

For a moment that line tricked me into thinking he was an interesting villain
>>
>>77381275
This anon>>77381630 is kind of right.
Since Joker never met Batman at this point, he couldn't quite develop a calling card for Batman yet, so the best he could do, is make a video tape addressing the Dark Knight, which obviously was picked up by the TV, because at this point, Batman hasn't learned yet that it's far better to not let the public see the Joker's sick little messages.

There really wasn't a much better way for him to get in touch with the Bat.
>>
As far as comic jokers go Snyder aside who do you think has written the best joker in Dcs history pre52
>>
>>77382959
Well, it kind of fits for him to be nihilistic. I mean yeah, he's not completely nihilistic, but the idea of nihilism isn't that you don't believe in anything, it's that you don't believe that there is a "natural order" to things. That effectively the universe couldn't give a fuck no matter what happens, so everyone is equally right.

You can put that behind anything really. You can be a democratic nihilist, who thinks that even though the universe doesn't care, humanity should rise above the base apathy of its surroundings. Or you can be an anarchistic nihilist, who wants to force people to see that no matter what happens, the universe will never kick back, because there is no "divine justice" or anything of the sort.
>>
>>77383017

>Well the board is about comics and cartoons and there's never really been a life changing example of either

That's what happens when people like a stagnated medium. To a normie, live action capeshit is just a trend or theme and it basically is. It's not gonna "save" comics and cartoons no matter what goes into the mainstream. Other than nerds and hipsters, do people actually buy comic books? And cartoons are either terrible licensed shit, "adult" edgy sitcom shit with some magic/popculture/science gimmick, and super restricted children shows(bruises, forced drama and gay people is somehow "groundbreaking"). I do not want to praise other mediums but Anime/manga, video games, and Hollywood culture/movies Will always be superior and well known than anything comics and cartoons will ever produce. Not even mad but it's really depressing.
>>
>>77383327
Alan Moore?
>>
>>77381199
Because it was a fairly by the book Joker mixed with half baked nihlism and everyone jizzed themselves over because they never experienced the character in that context before. It is the curse of the enthusiast.
>>77381226 Because it is edgy garbage
>>
>>77383488
>>77383488
Or perhaps you have yet to jizz from seeing the character in this context
>>
>>77381199
Because its popular
>>
He's absolutely boring.
He's not even remotely scary, despite the movie trying to make him out to be.
His dialogue is awful, it's bad even by Nolan's standards.
Joker is in general a bad character.
>>
>>77383339
>Anime/manga, video games
>superior to anything
Fuck off.
>>
>>77383017
>>77383172
I think it's telling that these types of posters are always the ones who jump up to defend Clarence.
>>
>>77383641
Hey, guy who's going to ignore my question....who do you think in the history of capefilms have been scary villains with good dialogue?

Tell me, guy who won't respond to this post
>>
>>77383735
Freddy Krueger he's everything joker can't get right in live action
>>
>>77383735
>capefilms
I don't watch them. I only watched TDK because I love crime thrillers and people told me that it's more of that than capeshit.

Ledger is less menacing than fucking Joe Pesci and yet everyone is treating his Joker like a god despite him being a shittier John Doe from Se7en with none of Kevin Spacey acting talent, his performance as flawless, and IMDB retards putting it in the ranks of Godfather and other movies generally considered to be masterpieces.
>>
>>77383761
Freddy Krueger isn't a cape villain...

And modern Joker is basically a slasher character the difference is that Freddy has that child molester thing going on, so I can't help but see your point as BS unless you think Joker should be a child molester
>>
>>77383809
>Godfather
More like nod father am I right? I was nodding in and out during that borefest
>>
>>77382274
Oh now come on man. Heath did an amazing job, but Corey, if Marvel would stop neutering their villains, did a really good job with what he had. The scene in Cassie's room was surprisingly creepy.
>>
File: 1437416127550.jpg (21 KB, 499x429) Image search: [Google]
1437416127550.jpg
21 KB, 499x429
>>77383761
>quipping Freddy Krueger
>good
This board has reached the new levels of shit taste.
Everything after the original NoES is heresy.
>>
>>77383809
Godfather is a shit movie. Goodfellas is better. And if you don't like capeshit why are you commenting on capeshit villains. I hate punk music, I don't go into punk threads on /mu/ and talk about which bands suck because in my mind they all fucking suck.
>>
>>77382366
Everything this guy said. In fact, his jokes were largely funnier than Jack Nicholson's. Most of those were just clowning around and saying things while laughing. Heath's Joker actually captured a bit of uncomfortably funny dark humor.
>>
>>77382919
Childhood is siding with Ulfric Stormcloak.
Adulthood is knowing Emperor Titus Mede II made more sense.
>>
>>77383761
It the clown is better than any jokers live action portrayal to a more older audience
Now that's a clown that gets it
>>
>>77383885
>Childhood is siding with Vivec.
>Adulthood is knowing Dagoth Ur made more sense.
Best part is, my version is not even edgy. It's actual truth.
>>
>>77383868
I liked when he walks into the mob boss meeting doing a really fake laugh, the says "And I thought my jokes were bad". Or the way he says "hi" to Harvey in the hospital.
>>
>>77383696

You could argue about it all you want but they actually have a huge fanbases that make anything /co/ related put to shame, not once have I ever talked about quality. Also I already mentioned that I do not care or defend those things either. I'm just simply pointing out the facts. Don't be upset.
>>
>>77383852
Well, if everyone, including people with sufficient understanding of music (i.e. critics) told that this particular punk-rock band is on par or better than things I like, I'd be curious and then get disappointed too.
>>
>>77383892
If you're not 10 there is nothing good, creepy, scary, or....of any substance to any steven king movie
>>
>>77383708

No one even knows about that shows existence and when they do it's about Skylar Page. I rarely defend that show, fuck I never even talk about it but it bugs me when people say the same things over and over without thinking.
>>
>>77383935
That's only because thanks to CCA and capeshit there's stigma on liking comics. Nothing Japanese will ever rival even a shit comic like Love and Rockets.
>>
Heath ledger was too anime for me he practically had jazz hands and I expected him to teleport behind batman with his katana at times or take out his kamen rider belt
>>
>>77383944
>If you're not 10 there is nothing good, creepy, scary, or....of any substance to any horror movie

FTFY
Yes, that includes stuff like The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari, pretentious /tv/tards
>>
cause people have this weird dissonance between thinking comics should be fun and family friendly like BTAS Joker but also mature enough to capture the attention of adults
>>
>>77383974
Gotham does it right
>>
>>77383985
Nice meme
>>
>>77383974

Too bad in these modern times they fail to do both. It's not bad being edgy or fun for the family but the fact that it's always done badly regardless of it's demographic. That's what happens when fictional characters exist for so long.
>>
>>77383998
Actually that anon might be right. Gotham is campy as hell, but it has some of the darkest scenes on television right now.
>>
>>77383969
Nah

The Shining (Kubrick) has a genuine creepy atmosphere even if it isn't scary as an adult, it is unsettling

The Shining (the one King did) is a bad episode of Goosebumps, like all of his movies
>>
>>77383985
Gotham isn't family friendly at all.

>>77384022
They aren't always done badly. TDK was a gritty comic movie done right, Iron Man was a family comic movie done right. You're likely just being contrarian
>>
>>77384026
>some of the darkest scenes on television right now
Nigga please. The "dark" moments pale in comparison to even Law and Order, and camp is extremely obnoxious instead of feeling natural.
Person of Interest does both better with campy action movie vibes and nightmarish Orwellian undertones, anyway
>>
>>77383912
So was mine.
>>
>>77383923
I don't think anything tops the way he fucked with Gambol throughout the early part of the movie, at least for me.
>>
>>77384028
>it is unsettling
But it's not. It's more cartoonish than anything.
There's no real tension or suspense. It's a comedy through and through.
>>
>>77384046

>You're likely just being contrarian

How so? I never even specified what was bad or not bad. You're making baseless assumptions.
>>
>>77384071
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

And if I were to guess, you're under the age of 25 so your idea of horror = saw
>>
File: 1386219173554.gif (3 MB, 355x201) Image search: [Google]
1386219173554.gif
3 MB, 355x201
>>77384026

>but it has some of the darkest scenes on television right now
>>
I think the Joker should be kind of classy.
He's a consummate showman, so it seems wrong that he'd look haggard. The only people that should be more impeccably dressed than Joker are Penguin and Alfred.
I don't like Jokers that aren't classy.
>>
>>77384087
Nice assumptions.

My idea of good horror is Rear Window. Really suspensful and unsettling unlike The Shining.
>>
>>77384110
I'm not sure about that.
I think there is an element of growth to the Joker.
He becomes the classy guy you're talking about, once he latches onto the Batman. Once he settles into his little demented anti-thesis life.
To me, it makes sense that a Joker without a Batman to call his own, would be as dishevel as TDK's Joker.
>>
>>77384097
God. laughing women piss me off so much.
>>
>>77384110
I don't disagree with you, my favorite Jokers are a bit debonair...but I found that in this Joker as well albeit in a different way. His suit is custom made and has some pretty specific designs, it's not like he's dressed like a bum...if anything he's bum chic...he's a well dressed guy who has greasy hair and smeared makeup

But all that aside, the look of a character doesn't define the character....I hate the look of Leto so far but that doesn't mean he can't pull off the role.
>>
>>77381199
He's too popular
>>
>>77381199
/co/ and 4chan in general hates everything that becomes popupar with the devil's minions called "normies"
>>
>>77384229
This.
>>
>>77384069
I've always wondered how he killed Gambol. It looks like he only got his cheek sliced.
>>
>>77384211
Yeah, he even says that the suit wasn't cheap.
>>
>>77384403
>The Joker looks up at the ASHEN FACES of the remaining Body Guards. Smiles.

>THE JOKER (CONT'D) Why so serious?

>The Joker FLICKS his wrist- the Body Guards flinch as Gambol goes down. The Joker turns to them.
>>
>>77381199
Because he makes the Joker seem like the cool anarchist who has an important life lesson to teach us all. Which is completely missing the point of the Joker.

This guy >>77381226 however, looks like a complete tool with terrible fashion sense, perfect Joker.
>>
>>77384199
Yeah, if that happened to me every time I spoke to a woman, I'd get pissed off too.
>>
>>77381707
>the whole cinema cracked up laughing at the pencil trick
And this is comming from the people who bash everything slightly "edgy".
>>
>>77382962
>thinking TDK is a masterpiece
>not pleb as fuck
Gosh golly.
>>
>>77384403
It's a matter of theme. TDK is dark, but it's not intended to be completely brutal. So instead of writhing around bleeding and screaming, like he would, he just "does" so the plot can move forward. The audience gets the point and we don't need to see it drawn out. It's the same reason why bad guys get knocked out after getting beat up, or why people fall over and die when they get shot. Realistically there'd be a lot more screams, blood, bleeding out, pleading, etc. But all of that would slow things down. It's just a narrative trope. In Gambol's case it just stands out, because the brutality is implied, but the lethality is questionable.
>>
>>77384575
roasted
>>
>>77383852
I don't give a fuck what you think about Godfather.
The point is, retards love to pretend this mediocre capeshit is some cinematic masterpiece and constantly compare it to films with serious critical acclaim with TDK being better in their opinion. Yes, that includes your precious Goodfellas.
>>
>>77382463
/co/ likes shitty FLASH show. I can't understand that.
>>
>>77385560
Hate to break it to you, but mob films are pretty much capeshit only instead of tights it's blackface of Italian Americans
>>
>>77385708
Except for better stories, character development and themes. Besides, you can say the same bullshit for any genre movie you pretentious /tv/tard twat.
If you're seriously implying a shitty movie like TDK in anywhere close to even entry-level good movies, you're retarded. Hell, even Silence of the Lambs, which is shit, is better.
>>
>>77381226
MOM'S GONNA FREAK
>>
>>77385747
>calls somebody pretentions /tv/tard
>says goodfellas is entry level
>says silence of the lambs is shit

you really don't belong on this board, you belong on /tv/
>>
>>77385926
>says goodfellas is entry level
But it is?
Entry-level =/= bad, and Goodfellas, Scarface with Al Pacino and Godfather trilogy are usually the first movies person interested in crime films would look for. Maybe some of Tarantino too.
>Silence of the Lambs
>not bad
It's a very boring thriller. Starling is a shitty character with a conflict that doesn't go beyond "must prove myself" and Foster is also a bad actress.
Red Dragon and by that I mean the book, not Ratner's terrible movie is the only worthwhile thing with Hannibal Lecter. Maybe Manhunter too, but it didn't age well.
>>
I thought he was one of the good things in an otherwise shit movie. He's loosely based on Killing Joke, so he's not that completely different. He starts off as a completely different character, but shows some shades of Joker as the movie proceeds.

Morrison wrote that Joker reinvents himself every day to suit himself to the surroundings.
>>
>>77382141
>The movie was pretty much perfect in every way.

mm. If you ignore all the massive plotholes, sure.
>>
No Joker better
>>
>>77381199
The fan base
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.