[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since western has been getting more influenced by anime recently,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: tumblr_muysxnyJEx1qchwhlo7_250.gif (1017 KB, 245x170) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muysxnyJEx1qchwhlo7_250.gif
1017 KB, 245x170
Since western has been getting more influenced by anime recently, what anime tropes/cliches would you love to see more in western cartoons?

What anime tropes/cliches would you hate to start seeing in western cartoons?
>>
/ss/
>>
>>77378127
On screen character deaths that aren't cartoony
>>
File: AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>77378127
>What anime tropes/cliches would you hate to start seeing in western cartoons?
female characters that act like literal retards and we're for some reason supposed to find it endearing

Just as an example I absolutely loved Gatchaman as a kid and was really hyped when they announced a remake. I don't watch much anime these days but my god is this the state of it? The girl in it is so incredibly annoying I had to stop watching. The action and music was really cool though.
>>
>>77378127
Kanchoing
>>
>>77378127
>hate to start seeing in western cartoons
nosebleeds. I am so fucking sick of arousal=nosebleeds
>>
extended intros are neat
>>
File: Blazing Transfer Student.gif (900 KB, 473x324) Image search: [Google]
Blazing Transfer Student.gif
900 KB, 473x324
>>77378127
General hotbloodedness
>>
File: 1422151459824.jpg (69 KB, 728x636) Image search: [Google]
1422151459824.jpg
69 KB, 728x636
>>77378294
>mfw Crowds isn't like Gatchaman at all
>>
phasing out all male characters except one gormless blank slate who all the girls wanna bang
>>
More reverse traps.
>>
>>77378728
I never really understood these types of shows.
>>
>>77378294
Is there any anime in which that doesn't happen?

I couldn't even finish Cowboy Bepop due to how grating and useless the woman in it was.
>>
Enough faux-lesbianism to build an entire image board around.
>>
See the problem with TVTropes isn't that it's a shitty meme factory it's that thinking in terms of tropes is fucking retarded. You don't know what you want until you get it and wanting more of something that was done well this one time you remember is what leads to design by committee.

These trope threads have gotten so fucking out of control that I actually think you people are starting to think in tropes and indoctrinating more people into some sort of archaic trope-based value system.
>>
File: mayor dewey.png (293 KB, 353x508) Image search: [Google]
mayor dewey.png
293 KB, 353x508
>>77378848
fuck off and die
>>
>>77378314
that thing with the fingers up the butt?
>>
File: 1442032451358.png (300 KB, 400x622) Image search: [Google]
1442032451358.png
300 KB, 400x622
>>77378756
YES
>>
>what I would hate
overblown expositions in the intro and outro. My least favorite thing in the fucking world is when an anime spends five minutes on opening credits, five minutes on explaining what happened the last episode, five minutes for outro credits, and then five minutes for a look at next week's episode. It's horseshit, especially when you can just catch up on last week's episode online nowadays.

Also, overly cartoonish reactions where it isn't merited, especially the backwards faint shit.

>what I'd like to see
I'd like it if western cartoons had the solid soundtracks anime did, especially if that means they have musicians doing music especially for that show (eg Yoko Kanno for Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop, The Pillows for FLCL). The one show I have to credit for having a solid OST and great musicians on retainer is Steven Universe with Aivi & Surasshu.

Also, I'd like power levels of characters in cartoons where action is involved to be set and matter, rather than being arbitrary and only matter when the show needs it to. I'll bring up Steven Universe again in saying there are characters who are described as powerful warriors, yet next episode their weakness is ketchup or some other bullshit to make a script work. Sorry to bring up "MUH TUMBLR BOOGEYMAN" here, but for the purpose of my argument itmakes sense.
In conclusion I'd also like to mention that if Inuyasha did it, it should never be done ever again, western cartoons or not. I feel like I should bring it up because while I loved that show as a child, it had 0 rewatch value even for nostalgias sake for all the bullshit anime tropes it had. Didn't do the manga justice.
>>
>>77378127
>What anime tropes/cliches would you hate to start seeing in western cartoons?

people falling over when they get surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tpq7rJEOHA
>>
>>77381178
Cutting to every character's face when they're reacting
>>
>>77378127
I would like to see animes with neat and tidy plots that don't meander much and have few but entertaining filler episodes.
>>
>>77378127
>recently
>posts screencap of a 10 year old cartoon
>>
File: JoJo2.jpg (2 MB, 1714x1252) Image search: [Google]
JoJo2.jpg
2 MB, 1714x1252
master rusemen
>>
>>77380804
Dude I wish more cartoons had soundtracks like Steven Universe. Sugar really pulled through in the ol' music department. But I doubt any western cartoon will ever match the FLCL soundtrack.
>>
>>77378127
i would like to see more panty shots and also heros that arent complete peacefull betas and villians that arent just nazi's recolored
>>
>>77380804
>My least favorite thing in the fucking world is when an anime spends five minutes on opening credits, five minutes on explaining what happened the last episode, five minutes for outro credits, and then five minutes for a look at next week's episode
I've only ever seen One Piece do this.
Most shows don't have recaps, and the 1:30 intro and outro is standard across the industry (except One Piece's which is 2 min)
>>
>>77382169
Inuyasha tho

Also I guess I really don't mind longer intro and outro songs as long as they're good. But the exposition has got to stop. It's probably why One Piece is gonna take 2000 fucking episodes to finish
>>
Shows that have endings, please.

I don't mean end credits, I mean shows that are actually given the opportunity to end. To finish their story. Not just go on forever until the ratings get too low and suddenly vanish.
>>
>>77378127
Characters with different forms like in DBZ and Gurren Lagann. I know it's often just a ploy to sell more toys, but I think it's really neat.
>>
>>77378127
Since >>77378650 already said awesome hotblooded shit, I'll go with boobies. That's my two favorite things about anime, hotblooded action heroes and jiggly boobies.
>>
>>77382201
This.
>>
>>77378127
>Hate
-High School setting
-Haremshit
-Self-insert MC
-Power of friendship
-Super-powered teenagers
-Japanese comedy (teardrops, nosebleeds, falling over, etc.)

I can't think of any tropes I like from anime but the things that Japan does better than the west are as follows:
-Better soundtracks
-Better animation
-Attractive/stylish character designs
-Exciting action
-Adult-oriented shows (Monster, Berserk, Psycho-Pass, GITS etc.)

I would say fanservice too but Japan has gone so overboard with it to the point that it's a joke.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.