[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Marvels" or "Kingdom Come?"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
"Marvels" or "Kingdom Come?"
>>
>>77368786

Superman X Captain america.
>>
Both.
>>
File: 1433189535522.jpg (294 KB, 900x896) Image search: [Google]
1433189535522.jpg
294 KB, 900x896
Why not both?
>>
>>77368786
Neither.
>>
>>77368786
Marvels is good reference material for all the good moments of the Silver Age

I love Kingdom Come just for the cool redesigns Ross did

Earth-X is just bizarre
>>
>>77368843
That's Earth X and Kingdom Come, senpai.
>>
>>77368931
And OP posted Kingdom Come Superman with a not Marvels Captain America. My picture was hardly related, I mean to say that both Marvels and Kingdom Come are good.
>>
>>77368984
Yep. And Earth X is good, as well.
Fuck Ruins, though. I storytimed it once, never again will I see those pages again.
>>
>>77368984
I actually couldn't find the proper reference for both "Marvels" and "Kingdom Come" characters in the same picture, but it seems some one has so forgive me for that incident.
>>
>>77369020
Oops, that's actually an Earth X pic someone posted.
>>
>>77368843
God Earth X would be getting wrecked.
>>
>>77368786
KC. It is an original story. I like Marvels, but Kingdom Come went beyond silver age wanking.
>>
Earth-X makes no bloody sense

>Black Bolt Terrigan mists' the entire world and Richards gets blamed
>Absorbing Man can absorb Ultron's intelligence even though he can only absorb physical properties of stuff
>All the minority heroes are now rulers of their respectable countries they originated from
>Franklin Richards somehow became Galactus
>Captain America was originally a Nazi super soldier subject and Erskine only got killed because of an espionage foul-up
>>
>>77369758
Marvels is more silver age wanking than KC
>>
>>77368786
I like Marvels better for two reasons:

1. Phil Sheldon is a better POV character than Alex Ross's dad, who's sometimes an awkward fit with the plot.

2. Marvels has a more ambiguous, even ironic attitude to the classic comic characters. They're heroic but they're also scary and, ultimately, disappointing. Phil is a superhero fan who eventually outgrows superheroes when their adventures let him down. Kingdom Come is a bit more simplistic in contrasting the classic heroes with the bad '90s anti-heroes.

Also I think it says something interesting about the differences between Marvel and DC that Marvels is set in the continuity of the old stories while Kingdom Come is an "imaginary story." The continuity approach wouldn't work at DC (because they have so many different continuities/histories) and doing a Kingdom Come style story at Marvel would just not seem to count.
>>
>>77369788
That's what he said.
>>
Didn't Astro City: The Dark Age start life as an idea for a sequel to Marvels?
>>
>>77369003
thank you for doing that it's literally the edgiest comic of all time, more so than the unfunnies or crossed, because it's trying soooo fucking hard
>>
>>77369688
If you look closely it's a playfight Red Skull is organizing.
He could literally solo the Kingdom Come Squad
>>
>>77368843
I like how there seems to be a big fight going on but then you get shit like those two old guys on the middle right just discussing something and pointing fingers.
>>
>>77369774
>implying a digital consciousness isn't very much so physical
>>
>>77369900
>America taught me to eat people
And that's just beginning.
>>
>>77369927
One is Aquaman, no idea who is dude without trident.
>>
>>77369815
I think Marvels was supposed to be original stories (or that was one of the concepts, it went through a lot of pitches) but Tom DeFalco, the EiC, told the creators to change it so Phil was witnessing the actual classic stories. Which they admitted was a much better idea.
>>
>>77368843
>Vision and Spectre having a stare down
kek
>>
>>77368786
Justice>both
>>
>>77368786
>Marvels
Literally what?
>>
>>77368786
Marvels
>>
File: 006.jpg (11 KB, 262x135) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
11 KB, 262x135
>>77368843
Is that Whor?
>>
>>77370230
Thor Odinson as woman.
>>
>>77370230
>He hasn't read Earth-X
>He immediately resorts to the kneejerk "IS THAT WHOR?"
Kill yourself
>>
>>77370516
>Earth-X is Whor's world
I prefer KC, thanks.
>>
File: 1401582094068.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1401582094068.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>77370870
>>
Kingdom Come, Marvels is fucking great. Earth X is not as amazing but I'd recommend it to friends who are into Marvel.
>>
>>77368786
Marvels had a better overall story
Kingdom Come had better art and designs
>>
File: but seriously folks.jpg (209 KB, 500x713) Image search: [Google]
but seriously folks.jpg
209 KB, 500x713
>>77370230
>I'm gonna be the biggest fucking casual of all time AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP ME
>>
>>77371423
>true capefags know absolutely every character in the superhero universes
Oh well.
>>
>That based Alex Ross style
KC and Marvels storytime anyone?
>>
File: ghus.png (50 KB, 500x231) Image search: [Google]
ghus.png
50 KB, 500x231
>>77371516
>>
I like the two of them for a variety of reasons.

Kingdom Come is straight to the point, no filling whatsoever. Every page and panel pays off, and you can tell it's pretty much done with heart by its level of detail. Perhaps the only con that I'd say about it is that Alex's photorealistic pages leave no space for dynamism (i.e they look stiff at times)

Earth X, in an attempt to catch KC's thunder, has great art by John Paul Leon and goes wilder in terms of scenario and character designs, and these feel very Marvel-esque even if put into a different direction. But I feel the story tried to include too many characters just for the sake of seeing all the major players under the "dystopia scenario", and even with a maxi series format, it goes off tracks at times. I was getting bored by the end of it.

Overall, I like KC over Earth X because it says more with less.
>>
File: archie memes.jpg (326 KB, 504x483) Image search: [Google]
archie memes.jpg
326 KB, 504x483
>>77371516
>>
>>77371516
>Hasn't read Earth X
>claims he isn't a casual
Not helping
>>
>>77368786
I'm gonna admit I like Marvels better only because I'm more of a marvel-fan, though they're both really good. Earth-X is also pretty good, while we're at it.
>>
Earth-X is Marvel's Kingdom Come.
The New Frontier is DC's Marvels.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.