[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good way to prepare garbanzo beans? They've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: soak.jpg (552 KB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
soak.jpg
552 KB, 4288x2848
What's a good way to prepare garbanzo beans? They've been soaking all night, but I can't decide whether to boil or roast them, and how to flavour them.

I don't have many fresh ingredients left, but my pantry is pretty stocked with spices and sauces and stuff.
>>
U fucked up family, keep them in the shells and then boil them or roast them with salt until they're soft on the inside then peel and eat
>>
>>7881432
>shells
>peel

What
>>
Don't you have to boil them to hydrate them? The soaking doesn't hydrate them all the way through, it only hydrates the outer layers to reduce cooking time. To gelatinize the starch, it has to be hydrated and heated, so only roasting won't be properly cooked
>>
File: chickpeas-03.jpg (79 KB, 600x397) Image search: [Google]
chickpeas-03.jpg
79 KB, 600x397
>>7881442
Chickpeas have a translucent shell that can be peeled after cooking (but can also be eaten)
>>
>>7881445
Not really. http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/03/the-food-lab-vegan-experience-best-homemade-falafel.html
>>
>>7881442
If you want a really smooth hummus you have to peel them.
>>
>>7881464
That's funny because the article says exactly what I said. Very epik trole
>>
>>7881477
Not really.

>"The soaking doesn't hydrate them all the way through"
>I discovered that by the time the chickpeas have soaked in water overnight, they've actually absorbed pretty much all of the liquid they're ever going to absorb.

>"so only roasting won't be properly cooked"
>the combination of intense heat from the frying oil and the internal moisture already present in the soaked beans helps the falafel cook through
>>
>>7881424

pour dry beans into slow cooker

come back in a few hours
>>
>>7881424
Make a curry. Plenty of recipes out there
>>
>>7881512
If you're talking chana masala that is a god tier chickpea dish.
>>
>>7881488
>I discovered that by the time the chickpeas have soaked in water overnight, they've actually absorbed pretty much all of the liquid they're ever going to absorb.
If chickpeas were fully hydrated after 12 hours of soaking, it would only take a couple minutes to boil them because you would only need to gelatinize the starch by heating them to the core. If you had ever actually cooked chickpeas, which you clearly have not, you would know that soaked chickpeas retain a white core at the center so long as they're not fully cooked. This part is not hydrated, it's just hard and dry.

In other words, if you read the above statement carefully, "pretty much all of the liquid" means "less than all of the liquid". And if it doesn't mean that, then the statement is factually wrong. The whole reason it takes over an hour to cook soaked chickpeas is that it takes that long for water to penetrate all the way to the core.

>the combination of intense heat from the frying oil and the internal moisture already present in the soaked beans helps the falafel cook through
OP is not talking about falafel, he's talking about whole chickpeas. If you grind them up, of course everything changes because you just increased the area-to-volume ratio massively.
>>
>>7881536
Also, chickpeas lose some of their solids into the water when boiling (which it even says in the article). So from the get-go, the method of comparing the weight of soaked and boiled chickpeas is stupid because it doesn't account for the loss of solids. All you have to do is cut a soaked chickpea in half and you will see that it's not hydrated all the way through.
>>
hummus, falafel or chana masala imo just i m o
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.