[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what can i put instead of anchovies in a ceasar dressing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Cream-Egg.jpg (102 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Cream-Egg.jpg
102 KB, 640x480
what can i put instead of anchovies in a ceasar dressing?
>>
>>7881017

Worcestershire sauce
fish sauce
>>
>>7881017
Your dick.
>>
>>7881017
why would somebody do this
just
why
>>
Traditionally a Caesar salad uses Worcestershire and no anchovies, but who in their right mind wouldn't want to add anchovies? They're the best part.
>>
>>7881341
It's candy.
>>
A1 steak sauce
>>
>>7881352
this
>>
>>7881352
Nope, it uses anchovies, or at least that's what the chefs at Caesar told me
>>
>>7881637

It's a well known fact that the original Caesar recipe didn't use anchovies.
>>
>>7881352
>>7881684

The first documentation of Caesar salad dates to 1946, when the newspaper columnist Dorothy Kilgallen wrote:

The big food rage in Hollywood—the Caesar salad—will be introduced to New Yorkers by Gilmore's Steak House. It's an intricate concoction that takes ages to prepare and contains (zowie!) lots of garlic, raw or slightly coddled eggs, croutons, romaine, anchovies, parmeasan [sic] cheese, olive oil, vinegar and plenty of black pepper.

Source: Dorothy Kilgallen, The Voice of Broadway, News-Herald, Franklin, Penn. (Aug. 2, 1946).
>>
>>7881352
>Worcestershire and no anchovies

What the fuck do you think Worcestershire is made out of, dingus?
>>
Mosago
>>
>>7881965

That's like saying that one of the ingredients in a sauce is eggs because mayonnaise is an ingredient.
>>
>>7881987
And that would be correct. What the fuck do you think an ingredient is? If it goes in the finished product, it's an ingredient.
>>
>>7882005

An ingredient is one of the things on the ingredient list when you read a recipe. Unless you cook everything 100% from scratch you will be using prepared ingredients, so when you go to the store you are buying Worcestershire sauce and not anchovies. The latter may be used in the production of the former, but it's not considered an ingredient in the dish you are preparing.
>>
>>7881955
Well done.
>>
>>7882201

>Well done

It's taken straight from Wikipedia, the same article of which explicitly states that the original Caesar didn't include anchovies, and that they only became a standard ingredient later on.

>basic internet research is hard
>>
Oil from sardine can and lemon juice
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.