[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My refrigerator stopped working but the freezer side still works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
My refrigerator stopped working but the freezer side still works fine.
Apparently the fan assembly that pipes freezer air into the fridge no longer functions.

I'd have to wait several days to get a repair guy to look at it.
Could I get away with putting bowls of ice in the fridge so the food won't spoil?
I figure I could do this indefinitely because the icemaker is fine and I can just keep making more ice.
>>
I used to work at a restaurant where the reach in on my station would break down occasionally and we'd fill hotel pans with ice and put them on every shelf to keep the temperature down.

Just make sure you only open it briefly, and when you know exactly what you want, because the ambient temperature will go down quickly every time you open the door. Stuff like milk, raw meat, and prepared foods (e.g. potato salad) should be stored directly on top of the ice.
>>
use a cool wet sack

source: the simpsons
>>
>>7871228
you can do that. If you happen to have a cooler or even a rubbermaid container, you might want to buy a couple bags of ice and store the important stuff in there, and change the ice every day.
>>
>>7871228
>Could I get away with putting bowls of ice in the fridge so the food won't spoil?

Yep. Though dry ice works much better and doesn't leave a watery mess for you to clean up.
>>
>>7871228
I had a fridge do this exact thing. In my case, it was caused by ice buildup in the duct between the fridge and freezer. If you can access that duct- it probably has an open end in the 'ceiling' of the fridge- you might be able to get something up there and break enough ice to temporarily restore function.

If it is caused by ice, odds are the cause of the issue is the malfunction of a little digital timer. It's supposed to tell the fridge to turn on a heating element periodically to melt off ice buildup. If it's not working, that element won't turn on.
>>
>>7871682

It could also be that the heating element or its safety switch failed. I had to replace the defrost heater in my freezer last year. The timer was fine, but the heater itself was not.
>>
File: Icebox_1[1].jpg (59 KB, 400x231) Image search: [Google]
Icebox_1[1].jpg
59 KB, 400x231
>>7871228
freeze a bigass block of ice in the freezer, if you use cubes they will melt faster because of the increased surface area
put the ice in the top of the fridge so he cold air will fall down onto the food you are trying to preserve
>>
>>7871604
>dry ice
bad idea friend, as the dry ice sublimates the pressure inside the fridge will increase until it overcomes the seal around the door and pushes it open
even if you are there to close it at the time it will happen periodically until it evaporates completely
>>
>>7872579

I was reading that thinking, "is he going to say the fridge will explode or something? because all that will happen is that, if there's enough, the door will open a crack". Then you went on to say that the door will get opened a crack from the pressure.
>>
Yo, your duct is probably clogged with ice. Take everything out of the fridge and freezer and eat it. Then unplug it and leave both doors open and put a towel in front of it.
>>
>>7872600

Remember, you have to eat all the eggs.
>>
I think it would be safer to load up one of those ice chests instead and store everything you know will probably spoil in there, if you dont have one borrow one from a friend usually someone has one, but the fridge would probably work. Keep an eye on everything though, sniff everything you are about to eat before you eat it
>>
put meat and milk in a cooler on ice

veggies, cheese, eggs and condiments should be fine
>>
>>7872599
Yeah it wont go up like a dry ice bomb but if you're trying to keep food at a safe temperature an open door kinda defeats the purpose
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.