[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Olive oil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 195qbcvpe60rrjpg[1].jpg (43 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
195qbcvpe60rrjpg[1].jpg
43 KB, 636x358
Sup co/ck/s

With the sheer amount of fraud in the olive oil industry, I'm having a hard time with this - what's a good, affordable, everyday olive oil? Mainly for use in salad dressing.
>>
File: 1375480667289.jpg (157 KB, 515x417) Image search: [Google]
1375480667289.jpg
157 KB, 515x417
Olive oil is unhealthy and destroys your arteries, you should use nuts and seeds instead, and sugar/mustard/horsey-based dressings for salad
>>
>>7864767
>horsey-based dressing

Go home, Wario. You're drunk.
>>
>>7864799
I have no opinion about olive oil from Wisconsin, but here in Asia it'd probably be pretty rare, and thus of little relevance.
>>
bump

any other opinions? The gist I'm getting is to avoid the major Italian brands.
>>
>>7865343

>salad dressing

Literally whatever tastes good to you. Buy the cheapest shit and if it's no good upgrade. Do you really want to waste your life worrying about the authenticity of your olive oil?
>>
>>7864762
Shit from California. Shit that isn't a blend of oils from different places. I've heard good things about Greek olive oil (apparently it's so tough to get exported there that the quality is very good, and in my experience finding it in America tends to be that it's good quality, even by people that know their shit). Avoid store brands and anything from Italy.
>>
>>7864762
monitoring this thread
>>
File: COR-Flavored-Oils-EVOO-664x1024.jpg (700 KB, 354x1024) Image search: [Google]
COR-Flavored-Oils-EVOO-664x1024.jpg
700 KB, 354x1024
This is probably one of the best that is readily available.
>>
I heard that most italian and spanish oil is mostly labelled wrongly, since everyone wants italian or spanish olive oil.

But no one wants greek stuff, so that is supposed to be genuine and a bit cheaper.

dont know it that is true, but I am happy with my mid price greek supermarket stuff.
>>
>>7865636
>>7865409

>Greek

Now I may be just remembering vague things I may or may not have seen on television once, but "Greek Olive Oil" is something that immediately makes me think of crime, money laundering, and tainted products.
>>
>>7865680
Nope, you are mistaking it with italian oil. That's the one where the mafia is doing all kinds of shit.

source:
>I may or may not have seen on television once
>>
>>7865722

I'll remember this whenever Grexit happens so I can support their un-cucked economy by purchasing Greek olive oil.
>>
I was traveling around Andalucia (South of Spain) and the olive oil there was just amazing. There are LITERALLY olive trees everywhere. South of Spain is so rural and big on agriculture, so most food is pretty fresh, especially the olive oil. If you have ever been to the middle america where it is just soy and corn and potatoes for miles, it is like that with olives.

Apparently a lot of cheap low quality olive oil gets exported and shipped around and labeled as Italian at a higher price, at least according to the Spaniards.
>>
>>7865343
you pretty much have to find out a circle of olive oil authenticators that give approval to different olive oils, there is no global or national overseeing that verifies this in the US and many other countries so you are basically going to run into a situation where the label you are looking for isnt there that proves it's olive oil but it might be real olive oil because of a different label from some other similar group of authenticators.

Basically do reaserch on your local (as defined by what brands you have access to rather than anything else like location) circles to find a certificate or symbol that will vouch for the olive oil you want to buy.
>>
>>7865579
Exactly this. I only buy California Olive Ranch. America's Test Kitchen agrees.
>>
>>7865579
Just got this exact one, its amazing
>>
costco's kirkland "tuscano" (the smaller, glass bottle) is consistently pure and higly rated
>>
>>7865579
This, the thread is over, you fuckers. Get it on sale though
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.