[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just bought one of these. What is the correct way to season
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: castiron.png (2 MB, 1588x976) Image search: [Google]
castiron.png
2 MB, 1588x976
I just bought one of these. What is the correct way to season and maintain this thing according to /ck/? I've never used cast iron before so this is new to me, first time I used it I just washed it with warm soapy cause new and cooked with it right away, then washed it after and put it away. Obviously I shouldn't have done that.
>>
>>7845069
You did the right thing.

Do you really want to eat last weeks burnt shit every time you eat.
>>
>>7845075
Not really no.

But I read that you're supposed to wash it, then cover it with a thin layer of oil and let it sit in a hot oven for a couple hours, then not wash it after use for a while as that'll remove the oil layer you just applied.

Is that true? What if I cook some marinated chicken on there one day, and the next day want to use it for steaks or fish? I couldn't do that without washing it inbetween.
>>
>>7845087

No. You're supposed to season it. That's not the same as just leaving oil on it.

When you season, go very hot.
>>
>>7845100

Can you or somebody post how you're supposed to do it then please? I wanna use it tonight but I'm not gonna if I can't figure out the correct way to prepare it before then.
>>
>>7845069
Would something like this work on an electric stove top?
>>
>>7845156
Yes but never go more than med-high on your burners or it'll warp.
>>
>>7845087
it really isn't bad. i don't wash my cast iron unless i put a sauce in it of some sort. makes your eggs in the morn taste a bit like steaks from last night, but not in a gross way, in a delicious way. just get it piping hot first and wipe it out with a paper towel if you're a puss about it
>>
https://youtu.be/i6xwZEsEaw0
>>
>>7845069
Just use the fuck out of it, use plenty of oil or grease and cook oily/greasy foods and use it constantly. With flat cast iron you should regularly scrape it too, whenever shit gets stuck or just whenever to smooth down the surface.

That thing will be a cunt to clean but whatever tons of use is the main factor. Don't worry about all that not washing bullshit, you can definitely wash it. Hot water and a scrub sponge is good, but soap won't destroy it or anything, if you find it necessary.
>>
>>7845150
You don't have to pre season it, just oil it up before use.

Disregard fedora neckbeard tier seasoning rituals.

It's a chunk of fucking iron, just use it and abuse it and you will be rewarded for your time.
>>
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/how-to-buy-season-clean-maintain-cast-iron-pans.html

Give this a read. Explains seasoning and maintenance.
>>
File: cast iron camping pan.jpg (8 KB, 236x282) Image search: [Google]
cast iron camping pan.jpg
8 KB, 236x282
>>7845069
>What is the correct way to season and maintain this thing according to /ck/?

You don't need to "season" it, just cook with it and after when it's cooled sown a bit, (thou is still plenty warm) wipe it down thoroughly with a paper towel.

That's it.

I never seasoned my cast iron pan and haven't washed it for _years_ and if you're only frying stuff with it (and with a griddle, that's all you can do) you won't have to either.
>>
>>7845150

If you need to season (most don't) . . . .

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Put a tray at the bottom to catch drips.

Run the cast iron on all surfaces with a thin layer of either canola oil or lard. I prefer lard.

Put the pan in the oven for an hour. Then turn the oven up as hot as it will go for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off, without opening the door. Let the pan sit until cooled, at least an hour or two.

Take the pan out, wipe it down. Cook bacon or other fatty things in it a few times, and wipe out after each use.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.