[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we just appreciate americanized chinese food and how delicious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 23
File: Mother Fucking Chinese Food.jpg (343 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
Mother Fucking Chinese Food.jpg
343 KB, 610x458
Can we just appreciate americanized chinese food and how delicious it is?
>>
I love crab rangoon. I also love putting the sweet and sour sauce in the fridge so it gets all gelified, and then eating cold egg rolls dipped in it.
>>
>>7830411
>plate full of chicken coated in liquid sugar, noodles dredged in oil, carbs stuffed with cream cheese, and deep fried dumplings
how do 'murcans manage to ruin everything?
>>
>>7830416
that sweet and sour sauce poured onto lo-mein

Did you know, that sweet and sour sauce is just sugar, vinegar and water? They just color it different colors.

and there's nothing better than cold sesame chicken in the morning
>>
>>7830411
my local chinese buffet has the exact same shit in your picture

i also recently learned all those generic shitty chinese restaurants are all owned by one big company. who knew?
>>
>>7830421

Yeah well Im gonna keep eating this delicious "chinese" food, you can go home fuckboy
>>
sweet and sour pork, honey chicken, cashew chicken, singapore noodles are my jam
>>
>>7830421
found the butthurt chinaman

go make a fucking Fine Bros video about it
>>
File: 182503801.jpg (24 KB, 385x257) Image search: [Google]
182503801.jpg
24 KB, 385x257
>>7830435
Interesting, do you have a source on that?
>>
>>7830421
>how do 'murcans manage to ruin everything?
By forcing the chinese to americanize their native dishes by removing all flavors besides the most basic salt and sugar in order to survive here by running restaurants. You should watch 'The search for General Tso' it's very interesting. Also obligatory "fuck you american chinese food is tasty".

>>7830427
I did not know that's all sweet and sour sauce was, thank you for the info.
Also why is it all so darn good cold? Nothing compares.
>>
>>7830441
actually chinese people love american chinese food
its hipsters who get up in arms about inauthenticity
>>
>>7830451
>IT'S NOT EVEN REAL CHINESE FOOD

yeah good point, it's really just the butthurt Buzzfeed lesbians who have a problem with it

my attitude: it tastes amazing, shut your mouth and eat
>>
File: samechickenfriedrice.jpg (126 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
samechickenfriedrice.jpg
126 KB, 600x399
>>7830450
I think it's because certain flavors become more pronounced when it's cold.
>>
>>7830421
>I prefer the authentic chinese cuisine of cats, bugs, and aborted fetuses
>>
>>7830427
actually they don't color it shit. their vinegar is red so when they add it to the mixture it comes out that color.
>>
Americanized Chinese food might be my favorite type of food to eat. I don't know why it's so damn delicious. Maybe it's the MSG.
>>
File: kamikaze-roll.jpg (218 KB, 960x754) Image search: [Google]
kamikaze-roll.jpg
218 KB, 960x754
>>7830464
Honestly, I annoy my friends with how obsessed with it I am. It doesn't matter what city I'm in. NYC, Boston, Knoxville, SLC. People ask me what I want to go eat and I say chinese.

My next favorite is either those crazy Sushi places with american bastardized Sushi pic related or those Japanese habatchi restaurants where they make the food in front of you and you just drizzle it with that white sweet mayonnaise-y shrimp sauce.
>>
File: o.jpg (266 KB, 886x1000) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
266 KB, 886x1000
>>7830478
<- This kind of Hibatchi

Luckily my gf is an enabler for my chink food addiciton
>>
How do I make the pink pork on a stick? It's my favorite.
>>
File: spare ribs.jpg (52 KB, 535x400) Image search: [Google]
spare ribs.jpg
52 KB, 535x400
>>7830491
It's technically called Char Siu pork, or chinese pork spare-ribs.

Man, getting them off-the-stick like in the pic related is another chinese food thing I go absolutely ape shit for
>>
>>7830501
Thanks, looking at recipes now. That's a hell of a marinade they use to make it.
>>
>>7830435
>Owned by one big company

Oh I didn't know my restaurant was owned by a mysterious big corporation whom I don't know about

You stupid dink
>>
>>7830421
I grow up in SEA had a lot of authentic chinese but honestly americanized chinese is not that bad. Its not like chinese dont use tons of msgs and sugar anyway. You'd be surprised how cheap some 'higher end' chinese place actually tastes
>>
>>7830446
just go to their websites

>>7830511
i always thought they were asian immigrant family owned individual restaurant things. never knew they were a "chain" or franchised or some shit
>>
File: dscn3343.jpg (2 MB, 3178x2384) Image search: [Google]
dscn3343.jpg
2 MB, 3178x2384
>>7830458
this and steamed meat buns are the only authentic chinese cuisine i know.

oh, and mapo tofu.

my only gripe about american chinese food is that it's so high calorie and the people at panda express just shovel it in like >>7830457

that's p much 3000 calories in one sitting.
>>
>>7830522
I do think panda express is shit. I like the family owned chinese places around NYC and Boston the best.

Panda is too pricey and too stingy.
>>
File: o.jpg (126 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
126 KB, 750x1000
>>7830522
can confirm that minced pork over noodles stuff is super tasty.

I live in San Gabriel, CA though, so I get all sorts of awesome chinese and vietnamese stuff.

>tfw this is $9 and the size of a $9 Burrito, and about as delicious
>tfw I can get some of the best Pho in the US for $10 1 block from me
>tfw I can get truly excellent Shanghai soup dumplings 2 miles from me for a reasonable price

>tfw all I'm craving is Americanized fat-and-grease bombs
>>
>>7830451
>>7830454
It's especially ridiculous when literally every chinese food restaurant I've ever been in has been run by at the minimum, children of Chinese immigrants, if not full blown chinese immigrants. Nigga you want me to get a drone to airdrop some dog from Nekang?
>>
>>7830411
For chop Suey I can agree, with everything else, pretty much no.
>>
>>7830711
oh shit 101 noodle express
>>
File: 348s.jpg (24 KB, 348x348) Image search: [Google]
348s.jpg
24 KB, 348x348
>>7830763
yeah mane I can't believe I lived in San Gabriel for a year and never tried it, a classmate was like "yo you gotta try this shit" and I did and it's amazing.

Their "green sauce" (Suan cai) is the fucking bomb.
>>
>>7830411
>can people stop disliking things that i like
>>
>>7830483
Hibatchi chicken with that eel sauce or sweet soy whatever they call it is fucking God tier.
>>
>>7831049
>my reading comprehension is shit
>>
File: 1427585320475.jpg (40 KB, 403x392) Image search: [Google]
1427585320475.jpg
40 KB, 403x392
>>7831240
>Hibatchi
>>
>>7830411
>tfw the Vietnamese restaurant has shortstack 19 year old qt with a thicc ass.

>tfw the Chinese restaurant is all a bunch of Chinese immigrants, one who was a convicted murderer who fled the southern US.

I'll take Vietnamese food, thanks.
>>
>>7831248
habachi, i read what the other anon had wrote and made the same mistake, who cares. the food is the shit
>>
File: 1437369598235.jpg (5 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
1437369598235.jpg
5 KB, 165x115
>>7830483
>hibatchi
>>
>>7830411
Used to love Chinese take out
Now I can't stand it
Maybe it's because I stopped going to my usual place after I moved to the other side of the city
>>
>>7830450
That's not sweet and sour sauce, that's an abomination.

Sweet and sour is water, cornstarch, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce. I've substituted apple for pineapple juice if I didn't have any. Basically mix it up and heat it.
>>
File: 04092014003.jpg (390 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
04092014003.jpg
390 KB, 2048x1536
>>7830451
Confirmed. Dated a Chinese QT out of Sezchuan and she liked American-ish Chinese food better than the real deal
>>
Orange chicken is delicious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4
>>
>>7831820
So it's just consistent across the board that second gen asian immigrants are really protective of their food culture? Because that's exactly how all of my asian friends talk about it, and it's funny to compare it to the older people who are inclined to just think of it as food.
>>
File: photo.gif (565 KB, 367x265) Image search: [Google]
photo.gif
565 KB, 367x265
>>7831818
>there's a Chinese qt3.141 in my class from Hong Kong
>I want to fuq her brains out, but I can barely understand her accent making talking to her super awkward
Wat do /ck/
>>
I came back from the US about a month ago, ate Panda Express on Atlanta.

That shit is way too good.

Never thought shrimp with honey and walnuts would be as good as it is.

Shame there's nothing like this where I live.
>>
>>7831967
>hk
>doesnt have a british accent
fucking millennials
>>
>>7832348
I have a special fondness for that dish, actually. My dad is good friends with the owner of the Chinese restaurant he worked at in high school, and he'd always bring us stuff that wasn't on the menu. There was one shrimp dish that tasted just like that one, and Panda is the only place I've found it.
>>
>>7831967

Like any regular girl.
Make sure she knows you are interested.
Ask for a date, restaurant, something nice (home? make her stuff she doesn't know, ask her).
Talk about yourself first, make your life seem interesting, ask about hers, ask her opinion on stuff.
2 Things are going to happen: hanging out or dating.
When you start to hangout a few "gifts" won't hurt. (something small, a beverage, some cookies she likes, a toy she like, whatever)
Other dates make her laugh, a lot, look confident.
Dominate her in bed, fuck her good, but let her call the shots on stuff you're shit at or in public (with her friends).

Don't believe her when she tells you she loves you, don't get invested, stay the same.
(i've had a chinese girl cry in my arms telling me over and over "i don't want to lose you bwaaa" because i told her my visa had great chance to bounce since my papers were fake. and dumping me 1 week later, another one wanted me to meet her mom after one week of serious relationship.)

In bed they are not as crazy as Korean girls, reaally tight tho, wet as fuck if you play with her kinks/push her buttons.
>>
>>7830427
>sweet and sour sauce is just sugar, vinegar and water
Why do so many varieties have pineapple in them then?
>>
>tfw Chinese and can feel my ancestors' disapproving stare when I eat orange chicken

FUCK YOU GRANDPA IT FUCKING TASTES GOOD

I love General Tso's Chicken, drive a Japanese car, and have a Korean girlfriend (actually never dated a Chinese girl before). I am an absolute disgrace but I have zero fucks to give.
>>
>>7832532
your grandpa would probably think it tastes good too
>>
>>7832532
Is this the baggage that comes with an accurate understanding of your heritage? I'll take my overhyped St. Paddie's day parade over that, thanks
>>
>>7832532

Is your Korean girlfriend clean out of her fucking mind?
>>
>>7832482
Sweet and sour sauce is supposed to have pineapple juice, soy sauce, and usually ketchup. Not really sure why that anon thinks it's just water, vinegar and sugar.
>>
File: 101.png (216 KB, 610x403) Image search: [Google]
101.png
216 KB, 610x403
>>7831818
>>7831967
>Chinese qt 3.14 in my class
>recently broke up with her boyfriend and comes to me for comfort
>just found out she's a feminist and BLM supporter
wat do
>>
>>7830435

>not having a chinatown
>not having home cooked chink food

There is zero reason to go to a copy paste chinese food place when there are god tier homemade, inexpensive chinese restaurants by chinese first gen immigrants and their bilingual kids. Tastes like actual food and just as cheap.

Actually I don't understand why any chain restaurants exist. They are ALWAYS inferior.
>>
>>7831889
first gen immigrants are concerned with not starving to death

from then on, once their economic position is guaranteed, it's about social posturing
>>
>>7832762
Many smaller areas only have a couple of asian families, and they open a franchise instead of a riskier venture. Then they hire mexicans to do all the cooking.
>>
>>7830520

Most aren't franchises. They are in fact singular restaurants, but they are all supplied through a group of companies that collaborate and inform the buyers what sells best.

The General Tso's Chicken documentary gets into that a little bit.
>>
>>7830421
> noodles dredged in oil
> how do 'murcans manage to ruin
You've never been to China I'm assuming.
>>
>>7831818

>better than the real deal
>Sichuan

she's an anomaly, bro

or you're lying

eitherway, american chinese food is good... but it's NOT as good as Chinese food.

t. Chinese boy
>>
File: costanz.gif (363 KB, 106x111) Image search: [Google]
costanz.gif
363 KB, 106x111
>>7831258
>habachi
>>
>>7833114
FOB, in China, or second generation?
>>
>>7832757
Don't let yourself be the tear rag for a BLM femtard lol
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 500x667
>>7830450
>forcing
>>
>>7831967
Learn a smidgen of Cantonese (Mandarin might also work if she's a Mainlander) and you'll get along with her just fine.

But seriously, everyone in this thread should consider a visit to Hong Kong. There's honestly nowhere else like it, and the food is EXCELLENT.
>>
File: panda.jpg (106 KB, 493x584) Image search: [Google]
panda.jpg
106 KB, 493x584
Panda Express orange chicken is my fav
>>
>>7833294
I want a bucket of those noodles and that zuchini stuff. The orange chicken's okay, but it's just okay.
>>
>>7833332
the stuff on the left is kung pao chicken, also really tasty. I don't get all the /ck/ hate on Panda express, its cheap tasty american chinese
>>
>>7833346
It's food purists. They hate it because it's hip.
>>
I'm just surprised there haven't been any white hipster making either non-americanized chinese food or american chinese food that isn't asian fusion
>>
>>7831889
second generation immigrants usually have an identity crisis going on so tend be overly protective about irrelevant shit like food
>>
>>7832415
>i told her my visa had great chance to bounce since my papers were fake
are you one of those guys who's like a hardcore sex tourist
>>
>>7833268
Unrelated to thread but since you seem to have some knowledge, how fucked would I be if I tried to visit HK if I know fuck all cantonese? I've always been curious but I don't have enough time to learn the language.
>>
>>7833346
I don't think it's all that great. Yeah, you can find something you'll enjoy there. I don't hate it. But everyone goes for the heavily-battered chicken and shrimp dishes, and I just don't get it. They're not that good, and the sauce is way too sweet. Usually, wherever there's a Panda Express, there's a Sarku Japan nearby, and for my trashy styrofoam-bound mall food, I prefer to go there.
>>
What actually is that brown sauce in chicken and broccoli and where can I buy it? It's godly
>>
>>7833396
I don't get what you're trying to say
Speak English for once in your life
>>
>>7833520

Nope, just a fake "Chinese language" student.
>>
>>7833538

Not the same guy, but you'll probably be okay.

I've been to HK, very surprised to see a lot of people speak english. As for food, point and show one or two fingers.

You should however know a bit of the language, it's more polite, and shows effort.
>>
>>7834004
did you get a fake visa from some chinese agency? what city do you stay in?
>>
>>7833627
Usually soy sauce, chicken broth, cornstarch, garlic, and sugar (and MSG but that's a given), sometimes other ingredients like hoisin sauce. I'm not sure if it's sold anywhere, you might have to find a recipe to make yourself.
>>
>>7832415
Spotted the beta faggot.
>>
>>7831818
did she make any sichuan food for you and was it as hot as the legends say
>>
>>7834033
Nice try, Chinese FBI
>>
>>7832757
Black Mages are pretty cool though.
>>
>>7833294
>>7833346
I've had Panda a few times, and every time I regretted it. It felt like I paid twice as much for something that didn't even taste half as good as anything I could get from a random small chinese food shop.
>>
No, fuck off
Actual Chinese food is amazing, American Chinese food is borderline fast-food and basic as fuck

Thanks America, stay shitty
>goddamn chinks being tricked by Western money and superficiality
>>
>>7834033
Not a fake visa.

A fake school paper from some random university in another city, i used to live in beijing full time but "studied" in another city.

Worked 2 consecutive years, then i had to change methods because it got too expensive.
>>
>>7834231
>goddamn chinks being tricked by Western money and superficiality

wat

The Chinese have been like that for thousands of years.
>>
>>7834231
wtf i hate american chines food now?
>>
>>7834205
I feel exactly the same way. The handful of times I've eaten there I've regretted it, so I just go back to the hole in the wall places.
>>
>>7834231
t. Hipster
>>
>>7832757
When you say "Chinese" do you mean that she's actually from China, or is she just an American born Chinese? Because there's a big difference.
>>
File: HK French Toast.jpg (31 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
HK French Toast.jpg
31 KB, 500x374
>>7833538
They speak, or at the very least, understand English. Remember that Hong Kong used to be a British colony until 1997. Because of this, you can find "fusion" foods such as ketchup fried rice, Portuguese egg tarts, and HK style French toast.

One helpful tip to keep in mind is that HK police officers who are fluent in English have a red pin on their uniform.

t. person who's lived/worked in HK before
>>
>>7830411
do love me some beef teriyaki and spicy fried rice
>>
>>7830478
Why are you in Knoxville, ever? That's where I live.
>>
>>7830450
>by removing all flavors

How cute. You think Chinese food has flavor
>>
>>7830435
You dumbass, they aren't all owned by the same company. They all order from the same company, Sysco, through their "Asian Foods" line.
>>
>>7831820
Isn't it funny that a bunch of pretentious 20 year olds don't represent the older generation in the video who liked the american style food.
>>
>>7830501
>char siu pork
tool its just char siu. the siu means pork
>>
>>7830411
chicken w/broccoli and steamed white rice is my jam.

We've got some excellent cantonese, hong kong, and szechuan establishments in my city, but chicken with broccoli done by my favorite corner chinese place is comfort food. someday, all the americanized "bastardizations" of ethnic cuisine will regain their legitimacy in yuppie eyes.
>>
Who /hot and sour soup/ here?
>>
>>7830411
My cousin who was born in Hong Kong, went to high school/university in New York, and lives in Shanghai always gets crappy Chinese takeout whenever he visits the states. He likes General Tso's and you can't really get it outside of America.
>>
File: mah-nigga.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
mah-nigga.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
>>7836514
My main dish usually changes because I'm always wanting to try all the stuff on their menu, but NEVER can forget the hot & sour. Now I'm hungry.

hnnnggg
>>
>>7836514
Only when it's good. Most Chinese takeout places (at least where I live) make terrible hot and sour. Which I don't understand, because it's really simple to make. It's kind of a cliche to say that it's the dish by which you can measure a Chinese restaurant, but it's usually one of my first indicators.
>>
>>7836500
lol
no it doesn't
''siu" (or 'shao' in mandarin) means "roast."
"Char" means like... skewered/crucified (srsly).
>>
>>7833346
I ate Panda Express for the first time and my appendix literally exploded. Doctors said I'm lucked to be alive, perforated appendix usually means you're kill.
>>
>>7836500
the siu in char siu doesn't mean pig, pig is a very similar-sounding zyu sound.

siu1 - 燒
zyu1 - 豬
>>
File: AAAAAAAA.png (62 KB, 1743x597) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAA.png
62 KB, 1743x597
>tfw you've tried for years to replicate the taste of fried rice and lo mein unsuccessfully

I know it has to be sugar, salt, soy sauce, and possibly chicken broth or tumeric, but that's it.
>>
File: ajinomoto-1kg.jpg (141 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ajinomoto-1kg.jpg
141 KB, 600x600
>>7837221

Oh, and a heaping spoon of MSG. Weirdly, I can taste it more readily in "authentic" Chinese restaurants than amerifat shit.
>>
>>7837221
Try oyster sauce. It's got that sweet/savory flavor that you might be looking for.
>>
>>7837221
What kind of oil are you frying them in? I find Sesame oil is a big part of it.
>>
>>7833294
Those noodles are delicious, but I always feel like shit after eating them. Past few years I've switched to the steamed veggies to at least attempt at making it a balanced meal.
>>
>>7836655
Yeah one meal didn't do that to you champ
>>
>>7837228
I saw bags of MSG at a local Asian store, except they were in long granules. Is it possible to add too much MSG to a recipe where it wouldn't taste good, like with salt or other seasonings?
>>
>>7837272
If you don't want to think about it get the little jar that's MSG and salt mixed together and add as much as you would add salt and it'll up the umami in your dish without too much thinking.
>>
>>7837221
Like >>7837248 said use sesame oil, and don't forget the garlic and ginger!
>>
>>7834202
Im scrolling through /ck/ now and just wanna tell you I get ur reference anon good job now fuck off back to /xivg/ tho.
>>
>>7837248

I've used sesame oil, but it has such a strong flavor that it overwhelms the rice. I guess I could give it another shot.
>>
>>7837359
Try mixing it with regular vegetable oil. While I really like the strong flavor, I had a roommate who thought it was too much, so he'd dilute it that way.
>>
>>7837359
Yeah just get the bottle of sesame oil and use it to drizzle, actually cook the food in whatever vegetable oil you want, you should be cooking hot enough that it shouldn't matter.
>>
>>7830427
sweet in sour is not that simple.
based on the color will tell you the ingeredients
when i make it at my shop, it's oil, fried ginger, water, sugar, vinegar, ketchup, pinapple juice, and red dye
>>
Sabor.
>>
>>7833115
It's gotta be some real oregano b8
>>
>>7832757
If you fuck her, you're most likely gonna run into the whole regret-sex-with-you-and-its-rape

Don't put yourself in that situation.
>>
>>7834293
Definitely an American born. Anyone who's born and raised in China is at least slightly racist. At least towards blacks
>>
File: DTF-RED.png (8 KB, 301x101) Image search: [Google]
DTF-RED.png
8 KB, 301x101
Who /Din Tai Fung/ here?

I think they're breedy gud
>>
>>7830411
It's a bit too greasy and salty (and at times way too fucking sweet) for me.
>>
>>7830478
>white sweet mayo etc.
yum-yum sauce
shit's good.
>>
>>7832415
what the fuck is all this shit lmao
>>
>>7840279
DTF is absolutely based, and not remotely Americanized.
>>
>>7840381
Yup, it pretty much opened my eyes to a whole other side of chinese cuisine that I didn't know existed.

But I kinda regret it because once you've experienced it, you can't go back to the shitty Americanized stuff that is completely uncorrelated with the source material.
>>
>>7840391
Why not? Like you said, it's a completely separate thing that's still good when you want that.
>>
>>7840396
Because I'll always be thinking of DTF with every bite, and the nearest DTF is in fucking commiefornia for fuck sake
>>
>>7840413
Why would you think of DTF when they're completely different? Do you think of authentic mexican when you get Tex-Mex?
>>
>>7840415
I do actually. Luckily authentic mexican is an option in my community so its no biggie.
>>
>>7840419
So what do you do when you want something that isn't actually mexican, just Texmex? Or does the authenticity give you such a hipster boner you can't bring yourself to want dishes that have been influenced by outside cultures?
>>
>>7840424
>So what do you do when you want something that isn't actually mexican, just Texmex?

I... eat it?
>>
>>7840430
While wishing you were eating something else, presumably
>>
>>7837221

How are you cooking it? Because you cook that shit on a normal stove and you will never replicate the taste.

Real Americanized Chinese food is cooked in a carbon steel wok, in smaller batches over a jet flame. The reason they can crank it out so fast is because they have all the ingredients ready. The sauce you put on the noodles/rice is normal fish or Oyster, sugar, MSG, Soy sauce cornstarch, 5 spice ect. Then it comes down how you cook it. Veggies first to get a bit of a char. Then you push them to the side, ad a slash of oil then protein. The noodles and sauce last. Then you toss and serve.

Also, in my home town, we had a place called The New Golden Lantern (because why wouldn't it). Anyways the place had something called D1. It was a shredded duck with vegetables, bean sprouts and a garlic chili sauce. It came with a thing of white rice. I would mix that shit together and enjoy the best god damn Chinese food ever.
>>
>>7832762
Chains aren't always inferior, check out Tokyo for instance. It has many chains, like Moke's Bread and Breakfast or Bill's and those are both delicious. Even the 7-11s in Tokyo have decent onigiri. That being said, pretty much all of the bugger chains are shit.
>>
>>7830435

they use industrial food distribution companies just like literally every restuarant does short of mcdonalds, you very smart guy.
>>
>>7840378

it's how sociopaths do dating
>>
>>7830450
>The Search for General Tso
Sounds like an interesting movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0hmBIR8BE
>>
Mama lu's>>din tai fung
>>
Ausfag here, we have pretty much the same choices in non-traditional chinese food here. There's a place near me in a shopping centre food court that has a buffet and it's so shit but at the same time so good. One day I will show you guys what their food is like. The battered and fried honey chicken is seriously about 80% batter with a little nugget of chicken in the middle but somehow it's worth eating.
>>
>>7832762
>>7840470

In China being a chain is actually a good sign. If food comes from a chain (barring international chains like KFC or McDonalds) that means that the original restaurant was very popular (aka good) and was able to make enough money to expand. It's still a third world country over there so they haven't been as commercialized as we have in the West (yet).
>>
>>7840670
I have a fondness for Chinese buffets too. That honey chicken sounds great, I love pretty much any variation on deep fried chicken dishes (sesame chicken, General Tso's, orange chicken, etc)
>>
>>7830518
This is so true it hurts. Chinese people don't care about Americanized or not. The ones that do are in denial about being white washed and are trying to claim some sort of attachment to a culture they know nothing about.
>>
>>7830421
>implying what you described doesn't taste like beautiful
>>
>>7833627
It's oyster sauce, thinned out with water and a splash of soy and or rice wine
>>
>>7833294
That candied chicken is crack. I wish there was one near me.

General Tso's from my local place is good as fuck too though.
>>
>>7841022
Funny. But traditional;ly Chinese restaurants have some trouble with Western hygiene standards. This is because in China raw dishes like salad were never popular. Pretty much everything is cooked. You're not all that likely to be scrupulous about cross contamination when everything you serve comes out of a boiling pot, a rice cooker, a deep fryer or a 450 degree wok.
>>
>>7841120
The Cantonese style roast duck (the ones hanging in the windows of siu mei places) was a sticking point with New York health inspectors until the local restaurant association chipped in to get the method tested by a lab to certify it was actually safer than similar western methods. Something about the dry air I forget.
>>
>>7841132
I remember when that went down. The point with many of these traditional foods is that they would not have become traditional if they were killing people or making them sick.

But the standards to which I hold a place vary depending on what they serve. A place that serves both raw and cooked food can make you sick very easy if the kitchen is lax. A place that serves only cooked food can be a bit more slack. I'll buy friend noodles from a dingy looking Chinatown pushcart before I'd chance a dingy looking cafe offering salads and hot sandwiches, because I know the latter has a greater chance of making me sick.
>>
>>7830411
I'm guessing you have never seen the kitchen in an "American" Asian restaurant.
believe me you would never eat that stuff again if you seen how the health code isn't followed for most everything
>>
>>7841198
>the health code isn't followed for most everything
Remember the health code was written for Western restaurants. There's lots of fiddly shit in there that really doesn't apply to a Chinese place.
>>
>>7830450

We didn't force them. They started it by thinking "roundeye won't like it unless we do this"

>>7840458
>we had a place called The New Golden Lantern

I lived in a small college town that had a bunch of Chinese restaurants and ate it at least once a week in college. We had one called Dragon City that was FUCKING AMAZING. I hardly eat Chinese anymore and part of the reason is that nothing comes close to it.

>>
>>7841198

Doesn't bother me at all. I've eaten at them countless times. If there really was an endemic problem then surely I would already have been sick.

Besides, by FAR the largest cause of foodborne illness is improper handwashing, and that applies to we the diners just as much as the cooks. How many people, yourself included, wash your hands with hot water and soap after you've touched the door handle and the menu?
>>
>>7841320

You're talking about current expectations.
the other anon was talking about the origins of dishes. They are two separate things.
>>
>>7841313
Hot water is a myth. If the water is hot enough to make a difference then you're scalded and your skin is sloughing off. Use comfortable water, you're more likely to keep your hands in it long enough to properly wash them.
>>
>>7841413
Warm water open the pores of the skin and allows for more effective cleaning.
The temperature of the water does make a difference.
>>
>>7841431
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15824636?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

paywall, results summarized here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/health/13real.html
>>
Do you think there are American ex-pats in China who bitch about not being able to get 'authentic' McDonald's?
>>
>>7833538
As an actual person living there (dual citizen), it depends on what you are looking for from your visit. If white (or even just knowing English) and/or not a sperg its quite easy to get to know expats or HK asians that speak English - that is, on HK island (central, wanchai, LKF etc).

In NT or Kowloon you'd be better off knowing someone to take you around first if you're looking for /ck/ stuff. Otherwise in most shops (in modern malls) English is somewhat understood to a basic universal degree like other anons have said.
>>
I fucking love american chinese food

Place where I lived changed hands, and it was the only place where I just couldn't eat the food before. It was absolutely horrible. I feel kinda bad about it because their stuff was clearly all homemade. It was just terrible. They couldn't even do fried rice or sweet and sour chicken right. There was ONE THING I could bear eating from there and it was fried potato chunks with some sort of green onion and teriyaki/or just plain soy sauce with sugar sauce.

Ever sicne they've changed hands though I've been there twice and its much better. Their rice doesn't taste like ass (and has green onion in it which I don't see a lot around here-- my favortie fried rice from a place around here also does, and I guess that's no coincidence), and probably has the best-looking honey chicken I've seen, besides tasting fine.
>>
>>7841198
I think this applies to pretty much all food places. It was the same at the restaurant I used to work for-- besides stuff thrown into the extremely hot deep fryer and the one exception of their extremely tasty cheese biscuits, I'd never even eat anything thre because I knew what it was really like.
>>
>>7842165
I've got a friend who's staying in South Korea with his family for the summer, he's complained about Koreans not doing burgers or pizza properly. There are also apparently a ton of bad sub shops there too.
>>
>>7833538
I speak Cantonese at the level of a 3 year old, live in HK, and I manage fine. Signs are in English, you can order food from pictures if the menu doesn't have a English translation. If you're homesick there's a McD's on every block.

I live in Tai Kok Tsui and there's lots of dope places to eat around here with English menus and that's Kowloon side. I don't normally go to HK island because a lot of it is overhyped overpriced expat stuff.
>>
http://www.qqkitchen.com/menu/

This is best chinese asian menu

Me, I like to get the king size hot and sour, and the order of the bi Bim Bop which comes with a saracha base dipping sauce on the side.

That shit will last a whole fucking day, and I have done it before. They use great ingredients, and they use the right oil so all their food warms up perfectly as if it was just made. Plus if you eat in, their presentation is flawless.
>>
>>7842346
I feel like most American restaurants in foreign countries are run by ex-pats with no kitchen experience so the food always ends up garbage.
>>
I miss living in NYC where I could get tasty juicy dumplings for 1,25 for 4 pork and chive dumplings.

The only thing the best chinese fast food place near me makes is juicy chicken teriyaki skewers. Their rice is behind awful though. Turns into a block you chisel in the refrigerator the next day.
>>
Watching the documentary right now, and man, i guess there's 3 levels of chinese food.
>>
who /honeywalnutshrimp/ here? I swear its literally crack to me.
>>
>>7840378

Just the typical sex tourist in asia which is like 8/10 of the white guys you find in the region.
Thread replies: 175
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.