[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sure you get this thread 100000 times a day, but it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: bread.png (4 MB, 2217x1061) Image search: [Google]
bread.png
4 MB, 2217x1061
I'm sure you get this thread 100000 times a day, but it's my turn now.

I'm not a cook. It's not that I can't do it, it's just that I never made an effort to. One time I tried to make bread following a YouTube recipe, and it turned out disgusting. I'm poor. I barely have any money. I'd like to go to the store and be able to feed myself for a week on around $15-20 dollars.

What do I buy? What do I eat that is a balanced diet? Where do I shop? It's all difficult to take in.
>>
>>7828895
>I want to feed myself for a week for $15-20

you can't. go to a soup kitchen or something. you should probably get a job and start living with higher standards.
>>
>>7828908
I can't? Then what can I do?
>>
Rice and beans
>>
>>7828913
rice and beans, bought in bulk.

I spend $15-20 a day on food, I can get it down below 10 if I try. I don't know how anyone expects to eat even remotely healthy spending less than $100 a month on food. if youre american you have to realize we spend the lowest percentage of our income on food out of every country in the world. you have to prioritize.
>>
>>7828895
>I'd like to go to the store and be able to feed myself for a week on around $15-20 dollars.
Rice, beans, sweet potatoes, buy cheap shit like that. Get meat if it's on sale cheap. If you can handle large chunks of meat brisket and pork butt are often like 50-75ยข/lb.
>>
>>7828938
Is there a way to eat rice, beans and sweet potatoes together that isn't depressing?
>>
>>7828980
no. get a job, what's wrong with you?
>>
>>7828982
I have a job.
>>
>>7828982
Oh I'm not op, just curious
>>
>>7828925
This.

Canadian and I average around $15 a day (or around $450 a month) eating decent but not super fancy food. Fresh fruits, veggies, and grass fed lean meat is expensive.

$10 a day is about as low as you can go while still eating decently (cut out some of the luxuries, mix good but cheaper meals in with the good but more expensive ones).

I'd say $7 is the bare minimum before it's coming down to calories per dollar and nutrition, healthy variety, or probably both suffer.

Health aside, food is one of the basic pleasures in life, and while prioritizing finances over health is sometimes necessary (and crazy FI/RE types do it because life is a game and your bank account is the final score or something) but I honestly feel like having to stretch your food budget on a regular basis is one of those indicators that it's time to evaluate the kind of life you want to live and work towards making it happen.

All that condescending bullshit aside:

- Dried beans in bulk.
- Rice (preferably whole grain).
- Eggs.
- Carrots.
>>
>>7828980
I save the sweet potatoes for a separate meal. Baked sweet potato with a bit of butter is good as fuck.
>>
>>7828980
I'd do something else with the potato, doens't really fit.

There's nothing specifically depressing about rice and beans. With the right seasonings it can be pretty good. The depressing thing is the lack of variety. Eating rice and beans once in awhile because it's what you're in the mood for is fine. Eating it every day cause it's the cheapest way to get through the day is depressing as fuck no matter how you cook it.
>>
>>7828895
$20 bucks a week is a mother fucker.
>Pasta
>Rice
>Beans
>Veggies (steamables)
Meat is going to be a mother fucker. I'd urge an un-sliced pork loin. You can buy the meat in bulk and freeze it in order to have some variety. Pork loin one day, chicken thighs the next. I assume you have a cabinet full of spices and dried herbs to doctor this all up. Buy in bulk, plan ahead, and use your ingredients well.
>>
kek, just move to another country. I can eat for 2 USD a day. Rice, beans and chicken. To get fruits and vegetables 3 USD/day.

Rice and beans arent depressing, just learn how to cook it. Where I live we ate rice and beans twice a day everyday. Guess the country.
>>
>>7830785
I'd say you have to go back, but apparently you're already back.

Good on you.
>>
Go to produce markets when they're nearing the end, they'll reduce the price by a lot in order to get rid of everything. Freeze the meat to save a lot, you can make meals in bulk and freeze them for the vegetables, since I don't think they'll freeze well as is. Learn to bake your own bread, it's just flour, water and yeast. Same with pasta, just flour and water. Look into preserving (canning) cheap fruit you find at the market.

Buy staples in bulk to save, even better if they're on special.

Be creative with your meal planning is another important factor.

My grandmother used to go to the fruit and veg market after they closed and looked for forgotten fruit underneath the crates. Could try that if you really trying to save, alternatively, dumpster diving, heard there's a lot of good food that stores just throw away, some stores dump bleach on it though to discourage it.
>>
Buy some vegetables, fish and baking sheets. Put that shit altogether and throw it in the oven for 20 minutes on 450. That's a good way to start
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.