[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have some macaroni and cheddar slices. If I cook the macaroni
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: exps41117_ESC1801517D82[1].jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
exps41117_ESC1801517D82[1].jpg
20 KB, 300x300
I have some macaroni and cheddar slices. If I cook the macaroni and chuck some cheddar in there with some milk and butter over the stove will I get creamy mac and cheesy goodness?
>>
>>7810098
No, you'll get a greasy, gritty mess.
>>
>>7810101
>gritty
What? Do you know what cheese is?
>>
>>7810098
No, you milk is too thin for that. If you have sour cream, that would work. Heavy cream will work too, but you need to reduce it a bit first.

If you only have milk, you need to make a roux or add a bit of corn starch to thicken and keep it from separating.
>>
>>7810106
If you cook some cheese without it being in a bechamel sauce or heavy cream, it can split and become gritty.
>>
>>7810107
>>7810108
So add a little flour?
>>
>>7810126
Make a roux, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup of flour for 2 cups of milk. Cook the flour and butter over medium heat for a minute or two. Add 1/4 cup milk, stir it in, another 1/4 cup, stir it in, repeat until you've added 2 cups of milk, and let it simmer until thick. Then add the cheese.

If you just add flour to milk it'll taste like raw flour, not good.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>7810131
Thanks, have this
>>
>>7810131
This ended up being about twice what I needed (and I cooked 2 whole cups of macaroni), and I only had 3 slices of cheddar so it's barely cheesy, but I'm hungry and this tastes rich enough so I will definitely eat this and take note of this for future reference.
>>
>>7810141
:3

>>7810316
>This ended up being about twice what I needed (and I cooked 2 whole cups of macaroni)
Yeah my bad, I didn't think about that. It depends on the shape if you measure by volume, but it's enough sauce for 8 ounces of dry pasta. And I usually add 8 ounces of a good sharp cheddar.

Also, a bit of mustard powder improves the flavor too. It probably sounds weird to put mustard in mac and cheese, but mustard and cheese taste good together.
>>
>>7810098
You'll need to make a bechamel sauce of the cheese, but otherwise, yeah.
>>
>>7810098
If you have heavy cream you don't need to make a roux. Just heat the cream of a moderate level of heat. Slightly simmering. Eventually it'll thicken on its own. You will also have a richer sauce without having to add flour to it. Which does change the flavor.
>>
>>7810131
Whenever I try this shit I always end up fucking it up so badly. I have tried a bunch of different roux recipes, cheeses, times, it always comes out terrible.

Is there an easier way to make mac and cheese?
>>
>>7811474
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/cheese-sauce-for-cheese-fries-and-nachos.html

This recipe is a bit simpler, it just needs evaporated milk and corn starch instead of a roux.

What's wrong with yours when you make it? Does it come out gritty, or lumpy?

If it's gritty, you might be boiling it too fast and not stirring it enough. Let it come up to a boil over medium-low heat, it'll take a while but it comes out smooth.

If it's lumpy, you're probably adding too much milk to the roux. You have to slowly add the milk and stir it in, 1/4 cup at a time.
>>
>>7810098
a bechamel isn't that hard ffs.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.