[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought pic related. Best way to 'season' a wok
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
Just bought pic related.
Best way to 'season' a wok for first time use?
Every video or guide I read is totally different and don't want to fuck this up.
>>
>>7808112
cook bacon in it or lard at medium temp. for 20 mins will be fine...make sure to keep moving it around and covering the entire inside with the grease....wash in water when done and wipe with paper towel dont use soap
>>
>>7808234
can i use a stainless steel scrub to clean off the shipping oil that protects the wok from rusting off before your steps?
>>
>>7808243
Clean it with soap and water first, dry it out, heat it and rub oil and salt into it
>>
>>7808243
yeah you use soap also to help clean that off...i just use SOS pads which are steel wool and soap combined....use a fine frit steal wool though...you just want to clean off the residue not scratch the wok
>>
>>7808245
do not rub salt in it lmao....and if your gonna use an oil make sure it is conola or something with high heat of vap.
>>
>>7808246
fine grit steel wool my bad..im doing to many things at once
>>
>>7808253
Yes, rub salt
>>
don't woks have a puddle of oil in them most of the time?
>>
>>7808260
no salt is to help clean it after you have cooked on it fool...so you dont have to use soap....have a nice day
>>
>>7808265
some asians reuse their oil....woks are meant to cook at very high heat and will kill any bacteria in the oil before they reuse it
>>
>>7808267
No, its called salt seasoning it and thats what the restaurants do. I worked in an upscale asian restaurant for 5 years. Soap and water. Oil and salt.
>>
>>7808273
lol you worked at in asian restraunt...my grandma is full asian...have a nice day
>>
>>7808277
So was the dude from hong kong that taught me.
>>
>>7808277
has your mother professionally cooked for most of her life or is she just asian. Assuming she knows jack all about how to season a wok properly is kind of racist.
>>
>>7808278
lol and he probably learned it from a cooking school in hong kong
>>
>>7808282
Lol no hes actually from hong kong
>>
>>7808281
she was a professional cook...her specialty was cakes though...no wonder she got diabetes
>>
>>7808273
>restaurants use salt!

Tell us something we don't know, faggot. Everyone knows you're supposed to use entirely too much salt when you're cooking for /other/ people and not yourself.
>>
>>7808287
I dont think you understand what we're talking about
>>
Same way you season a cast iron or Mineral B. High heat with oil. The key isn't really the /initial/ season moreso than it is constant use over time. When you're done using it, rub a wee bit of oil over the inner cooking surface; you can heat it off if you want to. Don't be too focused on creating a perfect season off the bat.
>>
>>7808286
lol how much legit wok cooking has she done though
>>
https://youtu.be/hNPe5-swL-k
>>
Is that the $20 wok from bed bath & beyond? Was thinking about buying it but it had a Walmart-tier price.
>>
>>7808311
more then any of us will in our life
>>
>>7808112
Woks are stupid to buy unless you cook with gas. A flat electric burner doesn't transfer enough heat to efficiently cook at the temperatures necessary.
>>
>>7809074

Electric coils and induction are terrible for cooking with at ANY time with ANY pan
>>
>>7808691

its a piece of stamped sheet steel with a handle riveted on

its the cheapest cooking vessel made
>>
>>7809091
At least a flat bottom pan will transfer the heat properly, once it takes 5 minutes for the coil to warm up.

With a curved bottom and a 3 inch round flat spot, you'll never get the same heat transfer.
>>
>>7809074

please point me to the post where anyone indicated anything about an electric stove being used

because right now it looks like you're pathetically trying to show off knowledge you picked up in remedial cooking 099
>>
>>7809108
Don't get upset about your electric range, retard. Calm the fuck down.
>>
>Wash with soap and water
>Burn off factory oil
>Wash with soap and water
>Dry
>Fill about a third the way up with peanut oil and chopped yellow onion
>Fry the fuck out of the onion until burnt
>Spread oil all around inside of pan while frying

All done.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.