[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I acquired pic related from my gf, it's a failed attempt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160621_133740.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160621_133740.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
So I acquired pic related from my gf, it's a failed attempt at jam. She claims to have followed the recipe (orange peels and pulp boiled with sugar in water) and it was supposed to gain consistency after a week, but it didn't. It's basically orange peels floating in sugary water.
She wanted to pour it down the toilet but I took it away because I believe it can be saved.
What can I do to turn this soup into something with more consistency?
>>
its not worth saving, start over and perfect the recipe instead.

why would you want to save it? try tasting it and see its bad
>>
File: IMG_20160621_134923.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160621_134923.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>7803457
It tastes good that's why I want to save it. It's just too watery.
Also, I don't like to waste food, if nothing works I'll just eat the peels and throw their rest awayvmbm
>>
>>7803451
If your shitty girlfriend failed at following a jam recipe you can damn well be sure she hasnt disinfected the jar properly. Dont save it, it's going to taste like ass.
If she didnt use gelatin, she probably expected the pectin in the rinds to make the jam.
Also, boil it for longer. It shouldnt be anywhere near watery by the time you jar it.
Dont breed with her.
>>
>>7803481
Are you retarded? Don't eat orange peels that have been sitting in sugar water for a week, fuck knows what bacteria has started growing on them. Christ.
>>
>>7803481
Also, when you do remake it, take off more of the pith. It tastes like shit. Get a paring knife and slice thin bits of skin off, instead of whatever she did.
>>
Will try with boiling it again, which should also removed eventual bacteria
>>
>>7803491
>Bacteria are bad lmao

Right now, there are more bacteria cells in your body than cells of your own.

Plus normal jam (water+sugar+fruit) will always have bacteria once the jar is open.
If you close the jars and bain-marie the fuckers they can hold for a year easy
>>
>>7803682
bacteria create toxins in food that can kill you when they have been sitting long enough, look up botulism.
>>
>>7803705
>botulism
It's less common than you think, 150ish cases a year in the US and only fraction of them are caused by food
>>
Boil it for longer and keep the pith or use gelatin. The pith is bitter but that's one of the quintessential parts about marmalade anyway.

I'm going to guess that it was too much water though. Jam is meant to gain consistency pretty much as soon as it cools so I don't know what that recipe was on about.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.