[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm planning on making a Pot Pie, first time trying it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: cf_pot-pie_main_ (1).jpg (20 KB, 300x350) Image search: [Google]
cf_pot-pie_main_ (1).jpg
20 KB, 300x350
I'm planning on making a Pot Pie, first time trying it.

>using kangaroo meat
>using a slow cooker to cook it
>already got puff pastry ready

What do you reccomend making the filling out of, other than meat? Is there any good liquids to make up the gravy (I was thinking red wine)? Any traps I need to look out for?
>>
>>7766248
I like using carrots, cauliflower, potatoes, and sometimes peas
>>
Make sure you marinate the fuck out of the meat (kangaroo is dry and seizes up when cooked) and make sure the gravy is pretty much pre-made before shoving in the pot. Liquids are easy to reduce and evaporate, but lumps of undercooked roux aren't.
>>
>>7766248
use a standard stew recipe - mirepoix (onion, celery, carrots), roux, beef broth + red wine, taters + root vegs. depending on how tough roo is you may want to slow cook the stew for a couple hours before topping it with pastry.
>>
>>7766248
Well, it depends. Do you like veg in your pot pie? Because IMO, you can't go wrong with some potatoes, peas, carrots, and onion. That's classic.

As for the gravy, I think a good brown gravy (deglaze the pan you browned the meat in with red wine and use that as a base) seasoned with salt and pepper, lots of thyme and a hint of rosemary is wonderful (if you don't want to use any rosemary, use some parsley or marjoram). OH, and grind up a couple of allspice berries for the gravy. Allspice adds the nicest touch to red meat gravies and sauces, but you only need a couple.
>>
>>7766259
Cheers, I'll definately try it with cauliflower. I love that stuff, never had it in a pie before

>>7766267
Any reccomendations for the gravy? I've never really done it before, to be honest. I was just going to cook the veggies/meat in a slow cooker with a bunch of liquids, then dump it into the pie pot- is that a bad idea?
>>
>>7766275

You've got to brown it first m8. fry up the meat, herbs and spices, and aromatics(onion/garlic) in a pan until nice and browned, then splash in a cup of wine and scrape together all the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. guesstimate the amount of fat in the pan and sprinkle in the same amount of flour(1-2TBSP is usually fine). it will thicken up IMMEDIATELY as you mix. that's your gravy.

add the other veg(peas, cauliflower etc), pop the whole mess in the pie and bake 45 minutes or so.

wa la!
>>
>>7766270
forgot spices. salt + pepper + dried rosemary + thyme on roo. BROWN that shit good. set aside, then do the mirepoix, add the roux, and then deglaze with wine and add broth. add meat back and stew for a couple hours. add veg, add parsley, adjust spices to taste, and top with pastry, and toss in the oven.
>>
>>7766267
>>7766270
>>7766301
>>7766296
Thanks for the help, all of you. I'm definately going to try this tonight, hope it turns out alright
>>
>>7766273
You're a stupid fag who doesn't know anything.

Carrot, onion, celery.
>>
>>7766323
You're fucking degenerate with shit tier opinions about food. Why don't you go use your carrots and celery to shove that onion straight up your ass, you fucking virgin shitlord.

Also, I actually DO use celery, but I forgot to type it in, but potatoes and peas are also necessary for a really great pie. So put that up your fucking ass and smoke it, donkeylicker.
>>
Onion and sourcream at least go well. And some veggies of course.
>>
>>7766312

Post results, faggot

>I mean that in the nicest possible way
>>
>>7766248

pre-make just about everything. If you're not browning, then stewing everything in the crockpot, give the veg a little par-boil or a quick sautee, make the gravy, have the roo already stewed (sounds like the plan already)... roo-goo gravy, a little reduced wine (I'd have it in with the kangaroo from marinade all the way through, and I'd actually go semi-sweet white with kangaroo, but med-to-dry red would absolutely work), veg is obviously up to you, but my personal preference would be fine mirepoix with potato, mushrooms and leeks.

and yeah, basically have everything pre-cooked because you're just cooking the puff pastry. This is essentially a way of serving yesterday's stew, and it's much easier to do with cold filling.
>>
>>7766660
thanks for reminding me why I keep coming here, in no other place does a discussion about food goes south like this
>>
>>7769402
Picture a French restaurant. Place an outspoken Italian family next to a Portuguese couple on a date. Spark up a conversation about who makes the best bread/coffee/wine.

But, aside from that, yeah, /ck/'s worse than a posh bar.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.