[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I needed 1/4lb of squid for some paella I'm making tonight,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: squid.jpg (79 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
squid.jpg
79 KB, 1280x960
I needed 1/4lb of squid for some paella I'm making tonight, but the smallest package was 2.5lbs, and the package says not to refreeze them. Is there anything I can make with 2.25lbs of squid that I can freeze or is naturally preserved? If not, what's a good squid recipe in general, and will it be okay to make tomorrow, or should I make it tonight to be safe? I've never cooked squid before, but I have experience with other seafood. Thanks.
>>
you'll be okay if you make it tomorrow. how about frying it?
>>
>>7722028
while still frozen, saw the package in quarters. seal the unused portion. this isn't fucking rocket science, son
>>
>>7722038
It's been in the fridge for two hours already. Would that still be okay?
>>
>>7722028
Ceviche
>>
>>7722045

No it's ruined
>>
>>7722045
As long as it's not completely thawed.

The reason you don't want to refreeze them is because the ice crystals that are created from refreezing destroy the texture of the flesh.
>>
Cut the rest into rings and marinate it overnight in milk with garlic, salt and pepper.

Tomorrow, season up some flour however you want, coat the marinated calamari in the flour, and fry until just crispy. Spend the day eating 2 pounds of fried calamari - sounds pretty good to me.
>>
>>7722059
I decided that I'm just gonna make it all. What's a good recipe for fried calamari?
>>
>>7722068
http://www.food.com/recipe/fried-calamari-519950

http://www.chowhound.com/recipes/fried-calamari-27913

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/how-to-make-calamari-the-classiest-of-fried-foods-1625840163
>>
>>7722028
They say not to refreeze because if you do, they'll become dry and rubbery from all that moisture loss. So they're technically fine, but I would just cook whatever you wanted with the squid then freeze the dish.

Personally, I would just make a batch of calamari. Freeze (up to 2 months), then fry when it's time, @ 450F until golden, about 5 minutes.
>>
>>7722075
I'm using the second one, but adding some paprika to the flour so it ties in more with the paella.

Thanks for all of the help, other posters! I'll post the calamari and the paella later!
>>
>>7722398
We already ate the calamari; they just look like regular calamari anyway so a picture isn't needed. About to get the paella cooking now!
>>
File: IMG_0722.jpg (777 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0722.jpg
777 KB, 2048x1536
>>
>>7722028
Make a fuckton of paella
>>
>>7723309
dayum son
>>
>>7723319
I didn't have nearly enough bomba rice for that. I made a shit-ton of calamari, and it turned out nicely.
>>
>>7723309
that looks fucking good.
>>
>>7723346
>>7723411
Thanks!
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.