[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>4 out of every 5 restaurants fail in the USA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2
>4 out of every 5 restaurants fail in the USA
>>
>>7716870
it's a doggy dog world out there
>>
>>7717183
Comments like this one are a diamond dozen, now a daze.
>>
after seeing kitchen nightmares
its not surprising to me
why don't americans know how to hygiene or be sane
>>
>>7717212
Because muh profit and shitty planning?
>>
A lot of people going into the business know nothing about it. They just think it would be fun to own a restaurant/Bar. See all the athletes, actors, etc. that open places that end up bleeding money. Restaurants are very hard to get loans for so most people have money from some other means like an inheritance.
>>
>like food
>went to restaurants because didn't know how to cook
>learned to cook
>stopped going to restaurants

>>7717217
Second hand restaurant supply stores are great. Get top quality for near wholesale prices.
>>
>>7717183
>>7717189
We got us some punny guys. We're all human beans tho.
>>
>>7716870
most of them just want to buy ready-made shit from a commercial food provider and make a quick buck

I honestly wish more of the restaurants would fail

we have 60 different places serving the same shit they bought from sysco with the name on the sign and the variety of wacky shit hanging on the wall being the only distinguishing features
>>
>>7717255
No need to be a prime Madonna
>>
File: beavis-butthead.jpg (25 KB, 478x358) Image search: [Google]
beavis-butthead.jpg
25 KB, 478x358
>>7717183
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IN YO WORLD
>>
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.
>>
>>7716870

>9 out of 10 that fail fail in the first year
>>
>>7716870
>get told you are a good cook
>hate your job as an accountant
>experience a windfall in a shrewd investment scheme
>restaurant comes on the market
>use money to buy restaurant, quit job
>realize the business is much harder than you expected
>line cooks are unreliable criminals who steal food
>waitstaff are flakey
>customers are insufferable complainers
>don't manage to produce a unique dining experience
>restaurant starts hemorrhaging money
>desperately try gimmicks like ladies night and sunday brunch
>even fridays and saturdays are desolate
>declare bankruptcy and go back to accounting job

This happened to my father. He couldn't retire until he was 70 and had barely any savings when he died. If it weren't for his restaurant dreams I wouldn't have any student loans right now. I mean I'm glad he did it for his sake, but it really crushed him and made the rest of his life kinda shit
>>
>>7717503
What is the moral of that story?
>>
>>7717521
You don't "just go for it" if it's going to be a shit investment.

In other words most "dreams" only happen when you are sleeping.
>>
>>7717526
Sad but the majority of experiences bear that out
>>
>>7717526

Also, just because you are good at COOKING doesn't mean you're good at actually RUNNING a restaurant. They are two totally separate skill sets.
>>
>>7717503
follow your dreams, unless it involves customer service.
>>
>>7717503
>>desperately try gimmicks like ladies night and sunday brunch

Holy shit what an awful idea.
>>
>>7717537
This is one of the biggies as to why people fail in restauranting. Dad was an awesome cook but had no business sense. He really could have used a GM but he tried to do that and cook at the same time. He worked crazy hours

>>7717553
Seriously dude, the best way to predict a restaurant will be out of business within 6 months is when they start doing shit like that. I had an indian joint across the road from me start doing "Hawaiian Luau Night" and 3 months later they were gone
>>
>>7717212
why do yuros get all their knowledge off of tv shows
>>
>>7717586
they don't produce their own television programs and must tune in to superior american programming so they think we all live like reality tv stars
>>
>>7717503
Kind of sad, but you could also say he should've figured out it would be really hard for a restaurant to be successful, especially given his prior experience with "shrewd investment."

>>7717553
I learned this from The Sopranos.
>>
>>7716870
Honestly, a huge part of it is probably just the economy tanking makes it harder to keep open. People don't go out as much to new places as they used to, because they are strapped for cash.
>>
>>7717503
Worked at a bar and grill that was like this
>woman owned
>financed by rich Chemist husband
>woman was megalomaniac micro-managing control freak
>Hosted APA pool leagues thinking it would drum up business, and it didn't really at all
>refused to hire a GM because she didn't want anyone making decisions about the business without her approval ON ANYTHING

The worst part was she had no restaurant experience whatsoever and tried to become friends with the regulars who's only interest was bleeding her for Jagermeister every fucking day, I would never try to open a full service restaurant
>>
>>7717674
by shrewd investment I mean cashing out of the stock market before the dot com bubble burst
>>
>>7717680
Well in this case the reason he didn't want to hire a GM was to save money. I think if the place actually took off he would have done so in order to not work 14 hour days 7 days a week
>>
>>7717716
Oh she tried it once, didn't agree with the suggestions that the GM made, and he ultimately left, she would only pop by for like an hour or two during the day when I was managing to go over the beer and liquor order, she had a problem with letting anyone other than herself call shots in her establishment
>>
>>7717553

You won't believe how common it is to happen. A lot of restaurants start doing a downfall after their "newness" wears off and the owners freak out even though it's normal for that to happen. So they start doing crazier things to make them stand out more, like revamp their entire menu which alienates them from their regulars and usually it isn't good enough to attract new people.

While the restaurants that stand the test of time rarely change up their menu, focusing on just improving what they have, maybe change out a dish or two, and has a good staff behind it. Alternatively, they have a gimmick, like cuisine fusions but that actually work extremely well. Or they have a dish that's so god damn good that people will constantly come towards it.

If you think running a restaurant in America is bad, try Japan. It's fucking suffering over there.
>>
>>7717212
>>7716870
I bet most of them are fags who open up their life savings to put a mcdonalds in some midwestern town of 300 people
>>
>>7717920
Nope, because if someone was going to approach McDonald's about opening a franchise in a specific location, corporate does the research to determine if it will be profitable and will reject the application if found unprofitable, most of the failed restaurants are independent full service restaurants
>>
>>7717680
I played in the APA for a little while and it seemed like I was surrounded by hardcore drunks who would get smashed on a tuesday night.

Then my APA stopped the 2 for 1 drink specials because of "legal issues with overserving" and I just stopped ordering anything when I was the visting APA team
>>
>>7717929
I used to play league myself and I was the only one who would order drinks and food while the cheap fucks on my team would be autistic about pool and it's stupid fucking politics instead of just having fun

What did you play? What was your rank?
>>
>>7717934
I played normal 8 ball for about a year. The APA Bar that was 1.5 miles from my house and had cheap drinks and titty monster bar tenders closed down and the new home bar was like 4 or 5 miles away so I stopped dropping in for practice and I started sucking ass again.

League was pretty fun I would join again if I moved close to a chill league bar that had free pool, my only bad time was my first season where I was 22 and playing on an old fart team of 70+ fags bitching about their stokes and their friends dying
>>
>>7717947
Sounds like my old situation, my bar had ten 9 ft. Brunswick's but then they shut down and all the action moved to a billiards place called Diamond Billiards but they were crowded as fuck on league nights, i was a 5 in 8-ball and got sick of the politics and not being thrown, it's hard to find a good team to join
>>
>>7717960
yeah the politics were kind of gay. My Captain and alt captain were fiancees and it was annoying knowing the guy would always play his cum dumpster or the cum dumpster would play for 300 pound BFF even when she shows up late and misses practice.

I wanted to pull my hair out when I stayed at 11 at the end of matches and got cucked out of playing. Also I hung out with these fags for a year and they never once invited me to the movies or something
>>
>>7717973
>never hung out with them outside of playing
I only did this once and it was when I was on a good team with a bunch of dudes my age and one of them worked for the County Chamber of Commerce and invited us upto this new tap house that was opening, for the most part I never really hung out with my team's out of pool, and I feel your pain about hanging out waiting, did they keep promising you that you'd get thrown only for them to go back on that bullshit and blame it on the other team?
>>
boooooooooorn in the usa

cooooooooooooooookin with chardenayyyyy

iiiiit'sk ceeeeee kaaaay (crowd going insane)

alright folks it's your favorite time of the day, cookin with cee kay! let's get this steak on the grill here.

>hopefully he won't make it rare and will cook it long enough to ensure there won't be any bacteria!

who said that....? show yourself!

(grabs a knife)

I'LL KILL ALL OF YOU. YOU DON'T DESERVE THE MEAT. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

>this is action 11 brining you news that there has been a mass stabbing at studio hanger 34 down in the heart of LA, we're not sure what happened but it appears to have involved former chef cee kay and an audience member who was partial about the form of cooking he was using. swat has attempted to take him down but he has cluttered the entrance with corpses and..what appears to be garnish?
>>
>>7717503
Not to mention the turnover rate is stupid high.
>>
>>7718282
I could see renting out a taco truck and trying to run it my way but dealing with leasing land and managing 5-10 fags in a restaurant seems like too much work
>>
File: rickyy[1].jpg (9 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
rickyy[1].jpg
9 KB, 256x192
>>7717410
>>
>>7718006
i can't decide if you're really funny or extremely unfunny

it's a fine line
>>
>>7718368
cooking steak rare can also be a fine line. so is life and death.
>>
>>7718287
The food truck space is becoming incredibly overcrowded.
Here in LA, the mexican food trucks run by mexicans are slowly being pushed off their turf by 20-something white kids with money who open hipster "unique" food trucks that charge at least twice as much for the same food.
>>
>>7718387
>la
>implying everything is not overcrowded in the 2nd largest city in the US
fuck I am in bakersfield and all the restaurant cucks get triggered by new cheap good trucks
>>
>>7716870
lol ty for image
>>
>>7718410
kill yourself
>>
>>7717928
So it's some Europoor who comes to a 500 people town to "teach those dumb American rednecks real European food"
>>
>>7718822
No, more often some dude who thought because he likes cooking, he can open a restaurant Ben though he doesn't know the environment and has no experience with. 9/10 times it's because of undercapitalization
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.