[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any keto/paleo fags up in here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: images (77).jpg (20 KB, 459x321) Image search: [Google]
images (77).jpg
20 KB, 459x321
Carbs are the devil /ck/ >:(
>>
Ya what up kid.
>>
>>7696475

Or you could eat whatever the fuck you want in moderation and exercise.
>>
File: minced cabbage.jpg (24 KB, 769x612) Image search: [Google]
minced cabbage.jpg
24 KB, 769x612
for me, keto is all about making use of cabbage.

finely mince some cabbage. dress it in a handful of different dressing to change it up a bit.

most dressing are mayo-based, but sometimes i use vingarettes or asian-ish stuff
>>
>>7696475
god you're a faggot
>>
>>7696639

Hey man I eat what gives me the best feels

Run your body on only meat, green vegies and healthy fats and see how you feel
>>
>>7696574
this
count calories not ingrediants
>>
my sister is paleo

she doesn't stfu about it
>>
>>7696752
>count calories
are you brain dead retarded? calories are irelevant overall both because the way it's calculated is bullshit (it counts energy of things that aren't digested), and because your body doesn't use each type of nutrient the same way.
>>
>>7696764
You're wrong. Other things might temporarily change (water weight, fat/muscle ratio), but body weight will stay the same.

>>7696801
Calories are the easiest way to track nutrition, and any up/down inconsistencies will be negligible as long as exercise is done to correct them.

>>7696475
>Carbs are the devil
This kind of mentality is what makes the keto community so fucking retarded and cult like. Just because you lost weight on a keto diet doesn't mean it's the end-all sustainable lifestyle that everyone wants. Ketogenic diets are great for weight loss but it is a terrible idea to do it long term. The reason you lose weight on keto is because your body is not yet adapted to using fat as energy, but in the long term the body eventually adapts and ketosis will no longer provide any weight-loss benefit than a regular diet based on caloric restrictions.

The prevailing sentiment towards low carb diets are that they are primarily for those who have such weak-willed minds that they must remove all source of carbs in order to maintain a diet. Not that there's anything wrong it that, but the keto community seems to believe everyone is just as weak and undetermined as they are.
>>
this shit is on the other end of the meme diet spectrum
say hello to veganism for me
>>
>>7696824
>You're wrong. Other things might temporarily change (water weight, fat/muscle ratio), but body weight will stay the same.
pretty sure he's not talking about weightloss, he's talking about health.
>>
>>7696833
With moderation and exercise, you can eat whatever and be perfectly fine. The human body isn't a glass beaker, you don't need a ketogenic diet to be functional and healthy, despite what the keto community thinks.
>>
>>7696843
>you can eat whatever and be perfectly fine
try surviving only on lard, I doubledog dare you.
>>
>>7696845
>With moderation and exercise

But I'm sure there's some low-carb fuckwit out there that would think surviving on lard would be possible.
>>
>>7696875
>with moderation you can eat whatever you want
>whatever you want
I assumed you meant caloric moderation.
so you're saying people can eat whatever they want as long as they don't want unhealthy stuff primarily?
>>
>>7696882
Ketogenic diets restrict people from consuming bread, rice, pasta, starchy vegetables, fruits, and any refined sugar. That's like the basis for 50% of all foods out there. When I say you can eat whatever you want, I meant in comparison to such a restrictive diet like Paleo/Atkins.

People can eat whatever they want as long as they don't eat too much of one thing and too little of another.
>>
>>7696930
Once you get the carb dependency out you kind of lose taste for those foods anyway. What is wrong if I have a spinach salad with grilled chicken and mushrooms in the morning with coffee and then a steak or burger in the afternoon? Snacking on hardboiled eggs, or maybe deviled if I feel like making them. It's not like I don't get nutrients.

I mean honestly, some people just limit their bread they intake daily, got a burger on a bun so no fries, but what if I just limit it to 0? That doesn't really hurt anyone, I still try to get tons of dietary fiber through flax, nuts, and spinach anyway.

The one downside (or benefit?) is that I only empty my bowels every 3 days now.
>>
>>7696930
>basis of 50% of all foods
The real conversation I want to have here is how would the healthy food landscape look if the trend was low/sugar free instead of low/fat free? There's a bunch of health items that are fat free, or low fat but the taste is usually compensated with the addition of more sugar, if a low carb diet was the "fad" then I wonder how many more options we would have available to us.
>>
>>7697411
Not everyone has access to the quality of meat that we get in the US/most first world countries, especially at the prices we're blessed with. In Japan/Korea, a ketogenic diet based heavily on meat would easily double a person's food budget.

Low carb diets are hard to get into and sustain because first you have to know how to cook, and second have to have the free time needed to make most of your meals. Also, say bye to your social life because you're not going out drinking anymore. Beer has 6+ carbs/bottle and getting drunk/hungover is just a carb-refeed bloat session waiting to happen.

>Once you get the carb dependency out you kind of lose taste for those foods anyway.
sample size: 1

>>7697424
Low carb dieting is a fad. Ketogenic diets going widespread will never happen because we don't have enough meat, and people don't have enough money to spend on food. Fat is expensive, sugar is not.
>>
>>7697939
>Fat is expensive, sugar is not.
Not sure if trolling or just retarded
>>
>>7697961
>Fat is expensive, carbs are not
Happy?
>>
>>7697939
Whenever I went out I would drink tequila and seltzer, so that argument is just stupid.

Too bad for other countries I guess.

Right, and health foods change all the time, i would just like to see how the situation would look if low carb was the prevailing one.

As it is I am kind of happy there are diabetic people around, they make low carb food for them, like BBQ sauces and other treats I don't normally eat.
>>
>>7698047
>Whenever I went out I would drink tequila and seltzer, so that argument is just stupid.
Your definition of going out is very different from mine.

>As it is I am kind of happy there are diabetic people around, they make low carb food for them, like BBQ sauces and other treats I don't normally eat.
Eating low carb alternatives to regular foods proves that you do infact crave carbs and refined sugar. Stop trying to act like you're above that. Sooner or later you're going back to eating those Twinkies. Keto is nothing more than a dieting fad, not a lifestyle choice (unless you have diabetes).
>>
I don't have the disposable income. There's no thrifty way to do so.
>>
>>7696764
>if you aren't eating caveman food you must be eating burgers and brownies all the time

You do realise you'd reduce your carbon footprint a heck of a lot if you killed yourself, right?
>>
>>7697969
Meh. Animal fat is "expensive" only because animal products are expensive because of how much money goes down the drain feeding animals for years for a measly return of concentrated protein and fat. Vegetable fat is cheap as shit, cheaper than sugar.

>>7698047
Which is funny because diabetes is more effectively managed on a high-carb low-fat diet. For all intents and purposes, the average Westerner is already on a low-carb diet (40% is pathetically low and completely removed from anything approaching historical and evolutionary normality which is characterized by grains, starchy vegetables, sweet and starchy fruits as well as legumes, and a restriction of animal-based food justified by economic and logistical reasons alone)
>>
>>7696574
>>7696752
>>7696843
>>7696875
Actual retards
>>
File: 20160505_131521-1.jpg (4 MB, 2895x1727) Image search: [Google]
20160505_131521-1.jpg
4 MB, 2895x1727
I started eating keto 3 weeks ago. I've got the income to eat well and I love to cook. At 3 weeks in I feel like it's much easier to stick to than regular dieting and eating a calorie deficit.

I'm eating 2000-2500 calories a day and doing an hour of cardio 2 or 3 times a week. I drink a gallon of water each day, more on the days I exercise. Losing a pound a day right now though I expect that to slow down. And I feel great tbphwy.

I'm a little concerned about transitioning back into regular eating because, as they say, keeping the weight off is actually much harder than losing it. All I can do is stay vigilant and give it my all. I'm also trying to be very mindful of the stigma that comes with keto, so I'm not telling anyone I'm doing it. I let them ask and tell them I'm eating low carb and I try to stay away from using the word "keto" or "ketogenic".

Keto is working for me so I'm going to continue for at least another 3 weeks. And >>7697939 spirits don't have carbs. No beer, no problem. I honestly don't even miss it and am happy to give it up for 6-8 weeks. It'll still be there when I feel like drinking it again. But the fact that I'm still able to drink whiskey has been my saving grace.

/ketoblog
>>
File: 20160512_183836-1.jpg (4 MB, 2499x2001) Image search: [Google]
20160512_183836-1.jpg
4 MB, 2499x2001
>>7698658
Grilling and keto go hand in hand
>>
File: 20160512_190416-1-1.jpg (4 MB, 2420x1683) Image search: [Google]
20160512_190416-1-1.jpg
4 MB, 2420x1683
>>7698681
>>
File: 20160512_191703-1.jpg (4 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
20160512_191703-1.jpg
4 MB, 2236x2236
>>7698687
One of my favorite keto snacks - marinated, grilled chicken hearts
>>
File: 20160417_185122-1.jpg (3 MB, 1990x2172) Image search: [Google]
20160417_185122-1.jpg
3 MB, 1990x2172
>>7698690
Eat your heart out
>>
>>7697939
>Low carb dieting is a fad.
Nigger you are absolutely retarded and completely ignore the facts that any doctor can tell yu...
>Ketogenic diets going widespread will never happen because we don't have enough meat, and people don't have enough money to spend on food. Fat is expensive, sugar is not.
Oh wait, you're a vegan. Nevermind, die in a fire!
>>
>>7698410
Vegetable fat is not cheaper than sugar? Sugar goes for literally cents per pound, whereas 12 oz of coconut oil or similar will run $5+/unit. Cane sugar is much easier to manufacture compared to oil.

>>7698437
Insecure keto "nutritionist" that can't handle being wrong
>>
>>7698722
Did I say something being a fad meant it was ineffective? Someone's a little insecure about their lifestyle choices...

The reason I call it a fad is because it's popularity is eventually going to die out once people realize how difficult it is to maintain such a diet.

Funny you call me a vegan as I down this bowl of tuna, salmon, and roe on top of cauliflower rice with a chili dressing. Got two 12oz ribeye steaks in the fridge for dinner and I had a sausage, egg and cheese burrito (low-carb tortilla wrap) for breakfast. My freezer is a vegan's nightmare.

If I took a ketone test right now the strip would come out purple. Been on keto for 3 weeks and I'm down 13 lbs. Again, it's a great diet, but a terrible lifestyle.
>>
>>7698724
I'm talking per calorie. I live in Europe, and oil and sugar cost about the same on a mass basis. But oil has more than double the calories (which is what you're paying for at the end of the day)
>>
>>7698658
That's great that keto is working for you. If you're just doing cardio, I highly suggest doing some weightlifting as well.

Rapid weight gain after ketogenic diets are very, very common. Your body won't be adjusted to using carbs as fuel and will take time to get used to it. You should expect 5-10lbs of weight gain due to water retention after your first carb-refeed. At this stage, I suggest eating medium amounts of carbs (100g/day) while still doing vigorous exercise. Drain your carb stores as soon as you refill them and you will minimize bloating. Maybe set your goal weight 5-10lbs less than what it originally was, to account for the water retention?
>>
>>7698724
I'm agreeing with you. Keto fags are retards that think eating "anything" in moderation is alright.
>>
>>7698788
Thanks anon. I appreciate the advice
>>
>>7698769
You know what forget sugar, that's irrelevant. Carbs (potatoes, rice, etc.) are cheaper than fats (oil, meat). I think we can all agree with that.

>Which is funny because diabetes is more effectively managed on a high-carb low-fat diet.
Do you have any references to back your claim? My mother's LDL was borderline diabetic until I made her go through a low-carb high fat diet for a month. She only lost about 2lbs but her levels were much lower.

Diabetics can't process carbs due to insulin resistance, so wouldn't processing fat instead seem like an intuitive solution? Seems to be what physicians these days agree with.
>>
>>7697939
>Low carb dieting is a fad
More like a fucking cult. I remember when paleo diets were the big thing in the manosphere/redpill faggot world and they treated paleo like it was some super secret THEY (radical feminists and jews) didn't want you to know about.
>>
>>7698839
See for example Ma-Pi 2 diet which is a vegan/vegetarian low-fat, 70%-80% carb diet based on whole grains, tubers, vegetables and legumes and controls diabetes, and improves all relevant blood markers, blood lipids and cholesterol short term and long term in diabetics

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3477773/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25852946
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21483296
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4190933/
>>
>we want to be environmentally sound
>so we're eating the most wasteful diet possible
>>
>>7699148
If you are insistent about sourcing and accept the charges that isn't inconsistent
>>
>>7698973
Yeah, my mom would kill a cat and eat it if I made her go vegan/vegetarian.

>Macrobiotic vegetarian Ma-Pi 2 diet [6, 7], designed for diseases considered with acid metabolic course. Total volume of the Ma-Pi 2 diet consisted of 40ā€“50% whole grains (rice, millet, and barley), 40ā€“50% vegetables (carrots, kale, cabbage, broccoli, chicory, onions, red and white radish, and parsley), and 8ā€“10% legumes (adzuki beans, chickpeas, lentils, and black beans); all foods derived from organic cultivations with no chemical additives. Gomasio (roasted ground sesame seeds with unrefined sea salt), fermented products (miso, tamari, and umeboshi), and seaweeds (kombu, wakame, and nori) were used as complements of the diet's nutritional value. Bancha tea (theine-free green tea) was the main source of liquid.

When I look at this, I say "no shit it helped diabetics, they gave them rabbit feed." Whether a person goes low-carb or low-fat to help their diabetes really doesn't matter, they're both effective. BUT, I would argue that a ketogenic diet is much easier than a low-fat, vegan diet, and at the same time, just as effective.
>>
>coworker does atkins
>tell him i'm going to do it, too
>constantly carbs in front of him while maintaining that it's the easiest diet ever
>steadfastly deny whatever i'm eating has carbs
>he's visibly upset
>>
>>7700673
Fucking kek. If I knew people were doing that ironically I'd laugh heartily. But yeah, if I didn't know I would just think the person is an idiot and stop talking to them.
>>
I'm gonna do keto again this Summer. It does wonders for my brain.
>>
I've lost 9 lbs this week on it. I don't care if it's a meme.
>>
>>7700457
They gave them a very well balanced vegan diet. Rabbit feed is grass and flowers

Ketogenic diet is meme shit
>>
>>7700900
No one cares what you think

Go kill yourself already
>>
>>7700909
Kek, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>7700849
That's sounds a little dangerous, guy
>>
>>7700947
It's slowing down now. I probably just had a ton of water and glycogen at first.
>>
>>7700957

>9lbs of water weight

Lel, no. You're doing something wrong. Maximum you should ever be losing is 1-1.5lbs per week.
>>
>>7700971
>being this clueless on how keto works
Please, leave
>>
>>7696574
lchf/keto/paleo helped me kickstart my journey at 570ib/270kg, it got real boring after a while and I did not find it sustainable.

370ib/169kg now, eating regular food, oatmeal in the morning, ~500kcal of whatever for lunch, one serving of dinner, and loads of water. fruit, coffee and that sorta thing in between

blogpost tldr
can't overeat regardless of diet, and you still have to pull the weight
>>
>>7700933
No one cares. Kill yourself already. You're only delaying what you're gonna end up doing
>>
>>7701039
>no one cares.
You care enough to have replied, faggot.
>>
>>7701049
That doesnt mean I care. This os me telling you to go kill yourself. Do you think all those people that told you to fuck off as a child secretly cared about you too? Lol
>>
>>7701080
Go kill yourself already. I'll be waiting alongside your parents
>>
>>7701080
OSME
S
M
E
>>
>>7701087
>already
Ok champ.
>>
>>7701092
Just do it and everyone will be happy, including you
>>
Represent. I started off a turbo fatass, but have lost like 60 pounds living the low-carb lifestyle.
>>
My cousin just got my wife on this shit. Mnimal effort on Google disproves a lot of the shit she's spouting so hopefully I can snap her out of it and get her to realize a normal diet of intelligently balancing your calories, nutrients, and exercise will get her far more lasting results than this mommy blog shit even if the road to your goal is a little slower
>>
Do ketofags moniter the health of their veins before and after the diet?
>>
>>7696475
Worked great for my mom, but she fell off and went carb crazy and gained it all back

very thin line to walk, be careful ketofags
>>
>>7703501
went carb crazy = got back to eating fatty and sugary junk food and eating too many calories.

What I can guarantee she did not do is eat a high-carb low-fat diet primarily based on unprocessed plant foods and whole grains.
>>
>>7703505
she got back into the normal habit of eating a lot of bread and pasta and gained it all back

are you the carb shill here to oppose the anti-carb shills?
>>
>>7698681

Not very paleo though, we didn't evolve to eat Acrolein.
>>
>>7703509
Just bread and pasta with nothing I suppose, not bread with toppings, and pasta with sauce, meat and cheese. Of course
>>
>>7703521
not sure what youre problem is
she cut carbs she lost weight
she didn't cut carbs she gained weight
>>
>>7703558
retarded
>>
>>7698410
>Which is funny because diabetes is more effectively managed on a high-carb low-fat diet.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1325029/
May be more effectively managed with high carb diets, but it gets fucking cured on a keto diet.
>>
>>7696475
So /keto/, how the fuck do I make avocados not taste like absolute shit?
I've tried salting them, added other spices, I've chopped them up like potato wedges and tried frying them. It seems like no matter what I do they taste absolutely disgusting to me, is there any hope? They seem like a pretty important food for the diet.
>>
>>7696475
Enjoy dying faggot.
>>
>>7703859

I have no idea if this is the problem you're having or not, but my local supermarkets are in the habit of selling under-ripe avocados. the vast majority of the time I check them they're hard as a damn rock. Perhaps your supermarket might be doing the same?

>>They seem like a pretty important food for the diet.
There's plenty of other sources of the same nutrition that avocados provide.
>>
>>7698221
Well, if you eat only chicken and turkey it doesn't turn out to be that expensive. Veggies are cheap and oil should last you for a couple weeks at a time.
>>
>>7700971
Try being fat sometime. You can lose a ton of water weight in just a week. 10-15 lbs is normal, even more depending on just how fat and fluid-filled you are.
>>
>>7703518
Who said anything about paleo?
>>
>>7704396

OP did. It's the title of the thread.
>>
>>7704417
I realize that. But nowhere in my statement
>Grilling and keto go hand in hand
or in my post about my experience with keto did I mention paleo. So I'm wondering why someone would feel the need to point out that grilled chicken wings are not paleo when nobody was claiming that they are.
>>
>>7703883
Its cutting out all the otherwise staples of civilization (starches and dairy) and then replacing it with meat and eggs is money I'd like for other things
>>
>>7700856
>MUH CARBS
>MUST TOW THAT GOVERNMENT LINE
1966 called, they want the original meme diet back.
>>
File: IMG_20160523_182935.jpg (3 MB, 4096x3040) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160523_182935.jpg
3 MB, 4096x3040
Fast food recs?

I get this chopped spicy Italian salad from subway, add buffalo chicken, pepper jack, cheddar, banana pepper, jalapeƱos, red onion, green peppers, and spinach. The Buffalo chicken doubles as dressing and it's 6g of carbs.

At 8.04 it's kind of not economical to get all the time when I can make my own which is cheaper, but when stuck for a meal out of the house there's subways like everywhere and all have the same shit.
>>
>>7705117
As opposed to 2011 luddite anti-vaxx soccer moms?
>>
lmao at this fucking thread because i've lost literally half of my body weight on whatever the fuck i wanted to eat

it's literally calories in calories out
of course it's not exact. you can't fucking BE exact. that's not how life works, folks. just eat less than your TDEE and you'll lose weight. if you want to eat more and still lose weight, then fucking exercise. this isn't a hard concept.

whatever works for you, but i hate people who spew out that carbs are shit. carbs are tasty i'm not gonna lie like a faggot. just eat what you like, i suppose, though.
>>
Is Keto real? I saw that nigga Tim Buchalka or w/e lose like a shitload of weight on the KEto diet. How do I do it?
>>
>>7705524
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293
>>
>>7705439
You burn more fat and conserve more muscle on keto compared to a regular diet.
>>
>>7705558
Zero evidence and science that supports this
>>
I wouldn't do keto unless I had some sort of health problem like literally dying of cancer or heart disease. I've read some interesting things about ketones inhibiting cancer.
>>
>>7705590
Read the same thing, something about the lack of glucose makes it hard for cancer to spread.

Never followed up with an academic source.
>>
>>7703807

Their diabetes improved because they lost weight. You can put diabetics on virtually any diet you can think of and as long as you're restricting their calories enough that they lose weight, their diabetes will improve as long as their weight keeps dropping.

Your study, like most studies "proving" benefits to ketogenic diets, is an intentional misrepresentation of the data. But why, why would these doctors, who almost certainly know that the weight loss was the causative factor, go out of their way to claim that it was the diet?

Well, let's scroll down the page a bit oh what's this

>Dr. Vernon has held a consulting relationship with Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.

I guess it's because the Atkins company is handing them fat stacks of cash to make retarded diets look healthy.
>>
>>7698973
Okay, if you're the fella that's been hanging around /ck/ and these threads for a week or a few weeks now, claiming "high carb/low fat CURES~~~~~ diabetes," then you really, really need to understand that saying "high carb/low fat" does not lead to the assumption of a diet that is the "Ma-Pi 2 diet which is a vegan/vegetarian low-fat, 70%-80% carb diet based on whole grains, tubers, vegetables and legumes." You need to define that better and quit with the "high carb/low fat," because that just sounds like any ol' carb is fine and low fat meats would be allowed. So stop. You're completely misrepresenting yourself. If you're going to trot it out, then use the post you just did. Reference the "Ma-Pi 2 diet" and describe what kinds of carbs are involved. I know why you don't (vegan), because people (vegan) are going to (vegan) freak out on you (vegan). But trying to make it more palatable by going "HIGH CARB/LOW FAT" "HIGH CARB/LOW FAT" "HIGH CARB/LOW FAT" in 50 motherfucking threads? Misrepresents what you're trying to represent! It's like saying cars run on gasoline. Doesn't tell you which one you need to put in your car when you're facing the options at the pump, doesn't tell you the octane, additives, or any other shit. It glosses over 95% of what you need to know. So please, if you want to tout your Ma-Pi 2 diet, then do it responsibly, honestly, and correctly, and stop shilling the "HIGH CARB/LOW FAAAAAT" thing, because a few co/ck/s will start eating noodles and low-fat turkey lunch meat and wonder why their diabetes isn't cured because of you.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.