[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got an interview/work trial coming up at a high end
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 208x220) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 208x220
I've got an interview/work trial coming up at a high end restaurant in a city near me. The head chef has been trained to a Michelin star level and I've never even stepped foot in a professional kitchen.

I'm nervous guys, any tips to help a fellow cu/ck/ out?
>>
>>7685578
Show up early, stay late, take shit and practice.

As long as you're enthusiastic and prompt you'll be fine.
>>
>>7685578

be fast. hustle. especially since you are a noob.

if you don't know what to do ask questions before you fuck it up

BUT

asks the other cooks how to do shit don't bother the chef all the time

show up early. don't complain. don't get frustrated. don't halfass anything.
>>
Any ideas on what he might ask me to do? I presume it'll just be average commis stuff
>>
>>7685599

probably salads or some prep bullshit. he isn't going to start the new guy throwing expensive cuts of meat on the grill.
>>
Probably going to start you off as KP lad
>>
You'll be fine OP.

Your situation reminds me of when I started my career as a pilot. I had a little more experience than you when applying (played GLOC arcade game at Chuck-E-Cheeses) but I ended up getting the job.

You should be fine, I mean how hard is cooking?
>>
Thomas Keller suggests that he will not hire a messy cook. Pro tip. Work clean. There is nothing worse than a messy disorganized cook. Take the time to wipe after yourself and keep your station clear. If you can do that you'll be hired.
>>
Do you know how to invert a binary tree on a whiteboard?
>>
>>7685759
I don't even know what means
>>
>>7685861
https://leetcode.com/problems/invert-binary-tree/
>>
>>7685578
First, don't worry about it too much. There was a time when this chef also had no kitchen experience, after all. Plus, kitchens have really high turnover. Odds are he's hired and trained several people with no experience before. Show up, make it clear you've got some passion and are willing to work hard, and it should be all good.

You'll probably start off doing prep and maybe some cold side stuff, where if you make a mistake it's not too costly. Get there early and be willing to stay late. Work as quickly as you can without sacrificing quality- don't just rush, a cook who rushes tasks and fucks up or gets poor results is just as much an issue as one that goes too slow- but accept that you're pretty much guaranteed to be too slow at first. That's OK, they'll expect that and as long as you improve you're OK. Work clean- can't stress that enough, number one reason new hires don't last in the kitchen in my experience. Ask before don't ng anything if you're not sure- we'd all rather take the time to explain how to do something than have to do that something over- but as another van on has said, ask other cooks first, don't just go right to the chef all the time, he's busy as shit already.

Good luck anon. A lot of people on /cm/ will tell you to avoid culinary industry jobs like the plague, and while the pay is kind of shitvand the hours are long as fuck, if you're passionate about it there's not a better job on earth, and you'll never work anywhere with the level of camaraderie that a good kitchen has.
>>
>>7685957

One of the best answers I've seen on this board for a while, thanks mate.

I'll just have to relax a bit, make sure I do as I'm told and do my best not to fuck up I guess.
>>
Just be serious in the things you do. It doesn't matter what industry you are in, shit employees are shit employees regardless of the pay scale. Take pride in yourself and in your profession and I wish you good luck.
>>
>>7685578

Enjoy the dish pit
>>
>>7685599

You'll be getting handy with a peeler very soon. It's usually not that bad though, you can often listen to the radio and zone out when you are doing prep. The only thing that really pissed me off was doing large quantities of onions.
>>
>>7685740

>he takes the time to wipe his station down repeatedly with 20 tickets hanging in the window

fired

organized? yes very important, disorganization slows you down a lot. clean? when you can... after a big dinner rush the entire kitchen looks like a fucking bomb went off
>>
>>7686062

>zone out and chill

more likely he will be cutting those 50 pounds of onions while getting yelled at every 3 minutes by multiple cooks to run shit up from the walkin for them

another good tip... seriously take time to memorize where shit is stored. look with your eyes not your mouth. so many new guys vanish for 10 minutes in the fucking walkin looking for shit and then come back "i didn't see any/do we have any?" and then someone else goes in and comes out with a whole box of it 10 seconds later.

>>7686060

hopefully. everyone should start in dish if they have no kitchen experience. if someone gets frustrated in the dish pit its a sure fire sign they have no fucking business cooking food during a busy rush.
>>
>>7685578
>work trial

Unpaid slave labour. Don't expect to be offered the job; they'll drop you so they can not pay someone else to wash dishes.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.