[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey co/ck/s, I've recently been getting into eating indian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: mutton vindaloo1.jpg (364 KB, 1600x1185) Image search: [Google]
mutton vindaloo1.jpg
364 KB, 1600x1185
Hey co/ck/s,
I've recently been getting into eating indian food, and I have two questions.

1) How spicy is vindaloo supposed to be? First time I had it, it was a part of lunch menu, so I guess they make it in a batch with one-taste-fits-all, so it was extremely weak. Like it was weaker than sriracha/tabasco. Second time I ordered it from other restaurant, and ask them to make it extra spicy, since I'm used to vindaloos. This time it was spicier - I broke a little sweat, but nothing extreme. I imagined that vindaloo is going to be so spicy, that I wouldn't want to have another bite. Or I'll have at least a problem, but I could down this one in three minutes, even though it was pretty spicy.

So, did I get a weak one even the second time, or is the spicyness of vindaloo just overblown?

2) People told me that for scaling down the heat, the milk and beer are the best drinks. Milk worked perfectly, but the beer was terrible - it helped to soothe the burn from previous bite, but made the next one so much worse. Have I been memed?

Thanks!
>>
it should be crazy spicy but it never is

if you're white especially, i heard it's a big thing in the food industry for people to insist on the most hottest heat ever and then send it back because too spicy
>>
>>7622057
>then send it back because too spicy
Fucking normie pussies.
>>
>>7622057
>>7622061
Yeah, that's why I told them I'm used to vindaloos and I know what to expect (even though it's a lie), since I know they sometimes tone the heat down when they know it's for a white person who's not regular in the restaurant.
>>
Last time I had vindaloo it was so spicy I could feel my lips getting a little numb. Had to blow my nose a few times and eventually grabbed a glass of milk. It was great but insanely spicy. Most other places I've had vindaloo from only make it a tad spicier than the other dishes they offer.

It might just depend on the restaurant. If the place offers takeout and you're worried about them toning the spice down because you're white, you could try ordering over the phone/online.
>>
File: shutterstock_87000179.jpg (652 KB, 1000x492) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_87000179.jpg
652 KB, 1000x492
I don't like Indian curry because I can't handle the spice. I love Indian breakfast food though, there's a place near my house that serves indfian breakfast and it is wonderful.

So far I've tried dosa, idli, ooqma, khagina, and kitchdi and I've loved all of them
>>
>>7622051
Milk is best because chemistry. Lassi is what they market as the 'curry drink' that isn't Cobra beer, and it's basically drinkable mango yoghurt.

Vindaloo is meant to be spicy, but it's one of those things that idiots order trying to look tough. Get to know the staff, be polite, and they'll start making things properly for you.
>>
Well vindaloo spiciness isn't traditional spiciness made with chillies, it's a type of spiciness that could be compared to something like raw garlic or horseradish, it's a byproduct of the vinegar-fermentation of potatoes (the name comes from the fact that you cook the curry in vinegar instead of ordinary water).

How "spicy" you feel that to be is really personal. Main point is, vindaloo isn't intended to be particularly chilli-tasting.
>>
>>7623784
>Vindaloo is meant to be spicy, but it's one of those things that idiots order trying to look tough
Nah.

Vindaloo is supposed to be hot but it's a different flavour than just adding extra chillies to a Madras.

If you want to prove how tough you are, then order a Phall.

If you are a bit weary then order a Raita as a side dish and dip your naan into it occasionally, or stir the whole lot in to your curry if it's too hot.

t. Britchap.
>>
I didn't think Indian food was actually supposed to be mind-blowingly spicy anyway? I always figured it was a bit of a meme perpetuated through the ages.

Thai on the other hand, they don't fuck around.
>>
>>7623784
Vindaloo is medium, and has a tangy flavour.
Sambaal Khe is the hot shit
>>
>>7623616
>ooqma
its called Upumav, as in salt and rice flour.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.