[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some foods that can only be made in one place? foods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: streetfood.jpg (738 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
streetfood.jpg
738 KB, 1000x563
what are some foods that can only be made in one place? foods that can be made in more than one place but require you to import an ingridient are also welcomed. Please no winefags tho
>>
Mole needs many mexican ingredients hardly get-able elsewhere
>>
>>7600350
No it doesn't
>>
San Francisco Sourdough
>>
File: oy veeeeeey.jpg (74 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
oy veeeeeey.jpg
74 KB, 1024x682
>>7600195
>>
>>7600195
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Products_with_protected_designation_of_origin
>>
>>7600410
Yeah, no. Designation of origin is bullshit. Any fucker can make Italian pizza
>>
Mixed Medshit background here. I've got a few to mention.

Fried bitter peppers in tomato sauce. Outside of a few areas in the Mediterranean, the peppers used to make it are entirely unknown and unheard of. They're similar to shishito peppers, but they're bitter-tasting. In the US, Italian immigrants have come to substitute American long sweet peppers for the bitter peppers to make the dish, but the taste is wholly dissimilar (sweet vs bitter).

Pizza crust sandwiches (pannuozzo, pic related) aren't really a thing outside of Naples and its suburbs. Basically, bake some pizza dough in an ovular shape, split it, fill it with shit and bake it a second time. It's weird that they're not popular outside the area because literally every single pizza place on earth has the ingredients needed to make it.

Italian fish sauce is not made anywhere else except Cetara, a suburb of Salerno and Naples.

Outside of peoples homes in Jounieh and its suburbs, these chickpea flour crepe-like flatbreads (the name of which I forgot completely because I don't speak Durkadurka) aren't really known. There are similar flatbreads from other places, but they're either made with some other blend of flours besides chickpea and wheat flours and/or are made from fermented batter and are therefore sour. It's spongy and riddled with holes. The most well-known flatbreads similar in preparation and texture are injera or laxoox, but is not fermented nor made with amaranth/teff/quinoa. It's most similar to baghrir, but baghrir isn't really known outside of Algeria. Unlike baghrir, though, the one I'm talking about is more often eaten with salty food rather than sweet.

Speaking of flatbread and because it's Passover right now, among the native Italki Jews of southern Italy (not the Ashkenazi and Sephardi newcomers), matzo is a soft, wrap-like bread similar to Turkish dürüm or Mexican tortillas de trigo. Since Italki Jews are so few now, this sort of matzo is sure to die out soon.
>>
File: panuozzo (2).jpg (93 KB, 1836x556) Image search: [Google]
panuozzo (2).jpg
93 KB, 1836x556
>>7600444
>"pic related"
>there's no pic related
Here's the pic related.
>>
>>7600444
Dude you can get matzo practically anywhere in the world. Granted you either have to go to a ver Jewish place or wait until the festivities. There are even some brands sold at supermarket's
>>
>>7600454
Work on your reading comprehension there, buddy-boy.
>>
>>7600459
Or maybe you can clarify you are talking g about a special kind of matzo and even go as far as to tell us how it's different other than being made by a special kind of people?
I mean I love my little sister but when brings cookies she made at school I don't tell everyone she invented a new dish
>>
>>7600466
>specifically says "this sort of matzo" and describes it as "soft and like a tortilla"
>"YOU DIDN'T SAY HOW IT IS DIFFERENT!!!!"

>>7600444
>among the native Italki Jews of southern Italy matzo is a soft, wrap-like bread similar to... Mexican tortillas.
>this sort of matzo
Work on your reading comprehension there, buddy-boy. :-)
>>
>>7600474
>thread about food that can only be made in one place
>hurt Durr this especial matzo can only be made in italy
Because the only people who make it live here
>take jew living in Italy
>take him somewhere else
>now there is matzo somewhere else
>>
>>7600195
Cheese :^)
>>
>>7600477
>i've been proven to have retard-tier reading comprehension, so i'm gonna nitpick until i feel better
lol
in case it wasn't clear to your 'tism-tier brain, that last bit about italian matzo was obviously a bonus tidbit and not part of the can't-be-made-elsewhere theme of the thread
>>
A proper pizza can only be made in new york.
>>
File: tumblr_lzn64wUEBv1qldlyho1_500.png (69 KB, 250x191) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzn64wUEBv1qldlyho1_500.png
69 KB, 250x191
>>7600499
>proper
says the limey twatty cunt
>>
>>7600477
I brought up the Italian matzo as an aside, sorry if that gunked up the thread. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned panuozzo, either, since I even said it can be made literally anywhere (though it isn't for some reason).

Anyway, it's funny you say that because most of our native Jews have left to live in Israel while we're getting all the Ashkenazim from Israel moving to Italy in droves. Here's the funny bit, though: in Israel, they don't make the Italian-style matzo. It's just not prudent for them to make it because the Ashkenazim won't buy it since it's not the crunchy cracker matzo they're used to and there aren't enough of a concentrated number of Italki or Romaniote or B'nai Roma Jews in Israel to make large-scale production of Italian-style matzo profitable. Jews of the various Italian/Greek rites living in Israel just use Ashkenazi matzo now.
The Ashkenazim living in Italy now outnumber the native Jews, so the people who used to make and sell traditional Italian-style matzoh don't do it anymore because there aren't enough native Italian Jews to make it profitable.

And before you say anything about the chickpea crepes, most countries don't grow chickpeas and the vast majority of them that do don't grind them into flour, so to make those Maronite crepes in most places would require an imported item (chickpea flour) to make.

>>7600499
Giggle giggle squeak.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.