[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preparing non-traditional microwave foods in the microwave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: images (91).jpg (15 KB, 474x310) Image search: [Google]
images (91).jpg
15 KB, 474x310
What's up /ck/?
I'm a bit down on my luck and I've only got an electronic frying pan and microwave to cook with.

Since I'm trying to keep my costs low, I want to prepare pinto beans in the microwave since my frying pan is not deep enough. Do any you have experience doing this?

Thanks in advance and feel free to share other microwave recipes!!
>>
>>7587447
What exactly are you asking, OP? You working with dry beans or canned?

If they're canned the microwave will work fine to reheat them. If you have dry beans it's going to be impractical since they have a very long cooking time.
>>
>>7587458
No.

If theyre dried beans you can soak them in cold/room temp water in a container overnight to rehydrate them. Then you can use them in either of your appliances.

You can also braise dry beans, op. But you'll have to let them cook for quite some time, so soaking them is better for your situation.

Sorry things are tough currently. Life will only get worse until we embrace the void.
>>
>>7587465

Even soaked beans take a very long time to cook compared to the duty cycle of a microwave.
>>
Carrot curry, buttered potatoes, blanching vegetables in general, roux, single serving cakes and a few other things.

At university, I once made a Thai curry from scratch using only a microwave, cutting board, kitchen knife and a mortar and pestle. The process was long, drawn out and inconvenient.

>>7587465
>braising dry beans
Great way to poison someone, friend-o.
>>
>>7587476
You are wrong.

Op, for instance, once you've rehydrated the beans you can mash them up with some spices (buy spices from indian grocers or anywhere that supplies in bulk - you'll save money) such as cumin and paprika and heat the mixture up on the grill. You can buy tortillas and some badic vegetables like cucumber and tomato (again, go to markets to buy cheap) and you've got a decent vegetarian burrito.

You can also use the paste to shape into burger patties and cook it like that, make vege burgers.

You can also stew those beans with a tomato sauce/paste and spices to make a chilli/stew/soup.
>>
>>7587483
Sorry, you're right. You can braise dry lentils and things of that nature. Dont braise kidney beans and white beans and shit, you have to soak those.
>>
>>7587447
Boiled eggs! Just microwave your eggs 3 minutes for soft, 6 for hard boiled. No pan, no waiting for water to boil!
>>
Sorry guys, yea I'm looking to use dried beans. I'm not that much of a brick that I couldn't just toss a tin of beans on the frying pan...

>>7587506
>2016
>eating boiled eggs
ishygddt
>>
It's also worth mentioning that I don't pay for electricity, so I have no problem cooking them in the microwave in terms of power consumption.
>>
>>7587490

enjoy your lecithin
>>
File: received_10207424676559226.jpg (12 KB, 476x356) Image search: [Google]
received_10207424676559226.jpg
12 KB, 476x356
>>7587520
>2016
>still saying "ishygddt"
>mfw
>>
I have that microwave
>>
>>7589463

>2000+1+1+14
>still using mfw
>shiggy diggy
>>
Soaked some beans last night, gonna nuke them in the microwave and see what happens. I'll post the results.

>>7589463
Sorry friend, leddit told me it was still a dank maymay :^)
>>
>Try cooking for the first time
>Cook 12 strips of bacon in the microwave until crispy
My stomach has felt a little weird for the last 13 hours, but otherwise I'm fine.
>>
>>7590341
>12 strips of bacon
>My stomach has felt a little weird
Oh, for sure was the microwave's fault, not the sodium and fat intake.

>>7590225
Hey, I don't understand what the argument was about in this thread.
Typically one soaks beans to reduce their cooking time AND to remove the [insert latin word] that makes humans fart.
I totally would NOT use a microwave to cook beans. Not that there's a problem with doing it, it just seems like more work for a simple dish.
I'd do them in an electric skillet set on LOW.

My recipe, converted for an electric skillet:
1/2 lb dried pinto beans (soaked at least 6 hours, discard soaking liquid)
1 1/2 ounce bacon (diced)
1/4 onion (chopped)
1/2 TB granulated garlic
1 tsp chili powder
2 1/2 cups water

1/3 cup milk (optional)
salt and pepper

Render bacon in skillet until crisp.
Add onion and cook until ... well, until they are cooked.
Add soaked beans and spices.
Cook on low for less than 1 1/2 hours (may require less or more time). Use a lid that is off kilter.
Check seasonings (add more if you like).
Add milk (if you like).
Mash (if you like).
Eat (if you like).

Make a bigger batch and freeze in ziplock bags.
I ALWAYS have some in the freezer.
It's hardly cheaper than buying pre-made refried beans in a can, but they taste much better, IMO.
>>
>>7590421
>Add soaked beans and spices.
*and water
May need more.
>>
>>7590421
I didn't mean to imply it was the microwave's fault, I know that's a lot of bacon.
>>
>>7590427
Heh. Just taking a piss on you.
(that's British for "bants", right)
>>
>>7590421
Wow dude, thanks. As a Mexican I would never be cought eating beans out of a can. Not only cause of taste, but out of fear of a chancla flying towards my head. Gonna do this now!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.