[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help with Chicken Tikka Masala I've made several recipes,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
228 KB, 1920x1080
Help with Chicken Tikka Masala

I've made several recipes, most of which call for a 28oz can of tomato puree. Each time I make it to specification, the masala taste far too tomatoey. My last attempt I cut the tomato puree in half, but still required 2 cups of cream to 14oz of tomato puree in order to reduce the concentration of the tomato. I also added a splash of olive oil, sugar, and salt in order to reduce the tomato concentration. No matter what recipe I find online, all I taste is tomato when I follow it. Can anyone give me some advice on a solid recipe to replicate in order to have a solid foundation?

TL;DR: Masala taste like a tomato no matter the recipe. Takes adjusting every time, and I need a solid foundation to experiment from.
>>
>choose recipe
>omit tomato puree
>when done, add tomato puree one tablespoon at a time until desired tomatoiness is achieved

Be your own foundation, anon.
>>
>>7586974
I'm wondering what recipe you are following.

Here in Britain, our definition of Puree, Paste, Passata, sauce, is different to America.

You offset Tomatoes with sugar, you know that right? . .. for a CTM - I would be tempted to use sweetened condensed milk.
>>
>>7586974
Are you using concentrated tomato pure paste when the recipe calls for pasata?
>>
>>7586980
My only issue is that supposedly the tastiest way of cooking the masala is to brown the puree, along with the ginger, garlic, and spice mixture, until it browns the pan. After which, you are supposed to deglaze it with cream, and then let it simmer for 10 minutes before adding the chicken. I added just a splash of puree this last time along with the spices, and then dumped half the can into the mixture. Maybe next time I will do the same at 1/4 of the can instead. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue and resolved it.
>>
You're confusing tomato purée with canned tomatoes you dummy.
>>
>>7586983
I add plenty of sugar to offset the tomatoes, which I see as something I shouldn't have to do. I can achieve the flavor I want after a bit of troubleshooting, but I want to be able to make it right the first time, every time. I use evaporated milk instead of cream. I was afraid of condensed milk because I thought it might be too sweet.

>>7586984
I am using the basic tomato puree, not concentrate. I was going to make my own crushed tomatoes, but after some research I discovered that canned tomatoes are the preferred choice outside of summer.

The recipe for the sauce is very simple:
1.Minced onion cooked in oil
2.Add tomato puree and cook until fragrant
3.Add spice mixture and garlic/ginger
4.After 30 sec.- 1min. add tomato puree
5.Cook for approx. 10 min.
6.Add cream, salt/sugar to taste
7.Add chicken and garnish
>>
>>7586988
It is legitimate tomato puree man, I promise you I shopped for it exclusively.
>>
>>7586996
>I am using the basic tomato puree, not concentrate
Ahh here is where things get murky.
see my post here.>>7586983

In Britain your concentrate is probably what we call puree. (has the consistancy of toothpaste)

Pasatta pours out of the tin/carton rather like a tin of thick creamed soup.

Tinned toms are probably the same.

I'm not sure which nationality your recipe is from but it sounds like too much puree to me.

it could be that this anon is right >>7586988
>You're confusing tomato purée with canned tomatoes.

And fyi . . .sweetened condensed milk IS used in 'the industry'.
>>
>>7586998
That's the problem. 28 fucking oz of purée lol. Have you never cooked with it before?
>>
>>7587009
I specifically said the recipe called for 28oz, and I used 14oz with 2 cups of cream (evaporated milk).
>>7587008
The only thing I had to go off of was: "The definitions of tomato purée vary from country to country. In the U.S., tomato purée is a processed food product, usually consisting of only tomatoes, but can also be found in seasoned form. It differs from tomato sauce or tomato paste in consistency and content; tomato purée generally lacks the additives common to a complete tomato sauce, and does not have the thickness of paste."

I am debating on if I should just blend crushed tomatoes myself in order to have a lighter sauce.

The recipe I am using is a mixture of around 6 different websites, however, they all called for the same amount of tomato puree. The only difference between the recipes was quantity, and adding onions and chilies.
>>
>>7587017
On second though I think perhaps you should leave this cooking thing to professionals. it seems too complicated. Stuff like providing the actual recipe and a pic of the items you bough for an outside sanity check is completely impossible.
>>
>>7587017
>I am debating on if I should just blend crushed tomatoes myself in order to have a lighter sauce.
Yes, I mean for a recipe that calls for 1 or two onions, I would add two tins (Max) of peeled plum tomatos . . .. .two tins (around 800g or 28 oz) of either puree or passata is way too much.
>>
>>7587025
I think i'll keep cooking and enjoy eating delicious food, thank you. Looking for advice through others "lessons learned" is a common practice. The fact you even considered my generalization to be the actual recipe shows you are just a sad little troll; eat shit faggot.
>>
>>7587036
It has become very obvious that American pureed tomatoes are too high of a concentrate. At 14oz to 2 cups of evaporated milk, it is still a thick paste. Using any less would not be enough to produce a proper amount of sauce. I was only adding 14oz of puree, but I will try the crushed tomatoes instead next time.

Thank you for the advice anon, it is very appreciated.
>>
>>7586974
>28 oz tomato puree
I hope tomato puree in the US is different than here because that sounds like way too much.

Take look how much tomato puree is added in this video @3:58
https://youtu.be/PTK6Yr-St8s?t=239
>>
I have had this tomatoey problem myself, friend.
As most of the recipes I use or have used were either British or Indian (I'm American), they all called for puree (paste for us). But for me, simply cutting the amount down to a couple of spoonfuls was sufficient. I think once, I mixed a spoonful of paste with a little crushed tomatoes and that also did the trick nicely.
The thing is, the tomato paste does have a very concentrated tomato flavor which is different from crushed tomatoes. You need that depth of flavor in there, or it won't be right. I suggest you reduce the amount of paste to a spoonful and add some crushed tomato for brightness.
>>
>>7587052
I find it interesting that we sell puree and paste with separate labels, but they have a seemingly exact consistency. The fucked up thing is, the first time I made it I added a spoonful of tomato paste, and then the puree after the paste browned.

I will follow your advice tomorrow. I work on one dish at a time until I perfect it, and this one has been very fickle. I've managed to produce a decent masala after experimenting each time. I consider the process a positive means of learning how each ingredient adds to the flavor of the overall dish. Thank you for the advice =]
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.