[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iron Skillet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: meme cookware.jpg (95 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
meme cookware.jpg
95 KB, 650x488
Is it a meme or is it the best cookware?
>>
>>7585744
No. Stop saying this my pans actually started crying when I mentioned people were calling them a meme! :(
>>
>>7585744

There's some things you can't really do as well with cast iron, but god damn that list is pretty speciallized.
>>
Best is a subjective term. It has its place in my kitchen. I don't use it everyday, but at least a few times a week it gets put to work.
>>
>>7585749
not really, anything that requires the heat to be lowered at anything faster than a snail's pace at some point is not really fit to be made in cast iron cookware. that being said, there are plenty of things cast iron is great for; however, using it for everything is a meme.
>>
i think the mythology behind cast iron is based on the idea that poor heat retention is something you can't compensate with skill, whereas poor heat conduction just requires fast reactions and judgement. and that seasoning is the ultimate non-stick.

which is obviously bollocks but i can understand where it comes from. however good heat conduction allows you to use a good burner to its fullest extent, and not only is teflon ultimately a better non-stick, just about any other pan can also be seasoned.

in any case the reactionary swing AGAINST cast iron is even more annoying.
>>
Cast iron pans were the non-stick pans before non-stick pans were invented. They are great for scrambled eggs, Spanish tortillas, and pretty much everything that doesn't require high heat.
For everything else get a stainless steel pan and learn to use it.
>>
>>7585766

I don't cook a lot of stuff that requires sophisticated temperature control like that, so it's one of my cookware staples.
>>
>>7585744
Complete and utter meme.
>>
>>7585744
They're good to have around when you need one, but there's very few things they can do that a non-stick or stainless skillet can't. Not hard to maintain either, just fry up bacon or sausage in them every so often and it'll always be ready to go.
>>
GET THAT BANANA OUT OF THERE BEFORE YOU RUIN THE SEASONING
>>
cast iron is great but don't be an idiot and cook everything in it because it makes some foods super soggy and gross.. that being said it's the pan i use most often
>>
>>7585744
Sure, sure it's a meme. Back in the 1920s, when my grandmother was setting up her kitchen after she and grandad got married, I'm sure she was like "Fucking cast iron, what a meme pan, but whatever, I'll guess I'll use it."
>>
File: trolling_recklessly.gif (37 KB, 394x384) Image search: [Google]
trolling_recklessly.gif
37 KB, 394x384
>>7585926
>it makes some foods super soggy and gross
>>
It's a meme, but not because it's a bad piece of cookware, but because whenever anyone points out one of its objective drawbacks, 1000 autists flock to that post and scream and cry about it.
>>
>>7586019
>implying it has drawbacks
Re-read the entire Sheryl Canter blog RIGHT NOW and don't you DARE post about cast iron ever again until you've read and understood ALL of it

I don't know why I waste my time trying to educate you normies. No gratitude whatsoever.
>>
>>7586028
Case in point.
>>
>>7585987
it does

most non root and cruciferous vegetables for example
>>
>>7586019
>pure conjecture
I'm sure that's how you see yourself, but those are paranoid delusions. No-one denies their downsides; you just can't handle that the trade-off still makes them usefull for a lot of people, at lot of the time.
>>
>>7585744
Is. The best. Not only does it cook well, it provides iron to the diet
>>
>>7586053
>no one denies their downsides
it literally just happened >>7586028
>>
>>7586049
this is one of the stupidest things I've ever believed another person actually believed

how can a pan make something super soggy and gross you fucking retard? it's you that's fucking up
>>
File: 1456772622919.jpg (32 KB, 360x345) Image search: [Google]
1456772622919.jpg
32 KB, 360x345
>>7586049
>>
>>7586059
>being this autistic
*sigh* wat is obvious satire
>>
Literally cancer

All that shit that's burned to the bottom of the pan to give it the seasoning? Carcinogenic
>>
>>7586061
>>7586060

At least he can't accuse us of samefagging.
>>
>>7586073
>but my seared steak contains none of this
Your troll didn't work very well earlier today, why should it now? My arms in fucking plaster and i can't do anything, what's your excuse for a 14h shitposting spree?
>>
>>7586083
>responding
I think it worked m80
>>
>>7586111
Getting a single luke-warm reply is considdered success in todays trolling climate? How the standards have fallen.
>>
I use it for a few things. I eat a prime grade NY strip once per week and am super autistic about time and temperature so it's an absolute necessity for me in that regard.

It's also great for frying bacon and eggs.

Also I deep fry chicken livers or tendies every now and then with it.
>>
For me the best thing is that you can stick it in an oven. However if you cook something like ground beef that contains a lot of fat cleaning it is a pain the god damn ass. You can't use soap and you have to wait until it's cooled down to avoid thermal shock and by that time the fat becomes harder to clean. It shouldn't be the only skillet you use, a regular aluminum one can get the job done most of the time.
>>
Cast iron is an essential item in the kitchen because:

It retains heat well so introducing the cold side of your food won't demand reheating
Instead of washing it with soap and water you can keep it clean and seasoned with salt
Like salt, there are very few situations where you cannot use it
It can handle heat over a burner, in the oven, under the broiler, over a campfire, on top of a river of lava, whatever, cast iron doesn't give a single fuck about how hot it gets.
>>
File: usa america cast iron.jpg (54 KB, 540x387) Image search: [Google]
usa america cast iron.jpg
54 KB, 540x387
>>7586518
You can clean cast iron just fine with dish soap and a plastic scrub brush.
>>
>>7586655
>it retains heat well
What you really mean is, cheap cast iron retains heat better than cheap steel. That's because cheap steel pans are like 0.7mm thick. Thick aluminum retains heat very well and as an added bonus, doesn't develop cold spots from introducing the cold side of food, because it's much better at conducting heat.

Thing is cast iron poorfags can't afford good aluminum, they think cast iron is better than everything, but what they really mean is it's less shitty than everything else that costs $20. Which is true but why can't they just admit it.
>>
>>7585744
You're a fucking idiot, son.
>>
>>7585744

i found 2 cast iron pans in my kitchen, what do cu/ck/s ?
>>
>>7585744
Is this....cooking?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.