[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so do pizzerias all make their own sauce? how much sauce do they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: 800px-Arancini_002.jpg (136 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
800px-Arancini_002.jpg
136 KB, 800x599
so do pizzerias all make their own sauce? how much sauce do they even go through?

I want to sell rice balls over the summer and just want to offer little cups of sauce for dipping, and I don't see how its feasible to make gallons of sauce every day. do the commercial sauce companies sell in bulk to restaurants or something?
I don't even have a sauce recipe, I just wing it every time until it tastes right
>>
>>7582368

if you're not remotely aware of what a gallon can of sauce looks like, you don't have the skills or experience to do that.

or probably the license. you know that men with guns require to be paid off before you can sell food, right?
>>
>>7582379
but if I give sauce in little 4 oz cups a gallon will only last me for 32 servings
I hope I would need several gallons in a day
>>
>>7582368
Who is going to buy rice balls from you?
>>
>>7582388
welcome to logistics.

it has to be kept below 40f or above 130f, btw, or you go to jail pretty much if you get caught.

that will require shop kitchen equipment to do efficiently.

do you have an account with a food supplier such as PMG?

are you going to pay freight, or do you have a truck to go to a staging dock and retrieve your product?
>>
>>7582397
y-you?
I see people selling zeppoles all summer at the fairs, and I figure why can't I sell rice balls? Golf ball sized, 3 for $5

just need to overcook some rice, mix it with cheese and italian bread crumbs and drop it in the fryer
>>
>>7582398
I don't understand what you're saying, I just want to know how to get sauce
>>
>>7582411
>>7582404

man if this is not a troll thread it should be.

do you know how much renting a space at the fair will cost? renting the equipment? you don't even have a supplier account.

you need to do some research, you're not prepared for this if you don't even have accounts.

how are you going to do your taxes?
>>
>>7582429
I wasn't really planning on paying taxes. I was just gonna buy a tent and a fry daddy
>>
>>7582431

do you really think that's how it works?

the event hosts have to report on your sales, too.

they are liable for YOUR actions, they will ask for your license.
>>
>>7582434
oh jeez. Can't I even go do this at a flea market or something?
>>
>>7582449
try a church dinner and work your way up.
>>
>>7582449
there are much easier ways to make some pocket change, anon.
>>
>>7582411
Food safety laws, you can't just sit on your yard with it sitting out all day needs to be temperature managed. But yes you can find a supplier to sell you sauce I imagine.
>>
>>7582368
Lots of valid points were brought up in this discussion. Overall you are not ready for anything like this.

If you don't know how to make a sauce for the portion you want, then you really don't know what you are doing. Work on the products first.

You could talk to a pizzeria and ask for some of their sauce. That would be a great idea but only for networking reasons. Pizza place owners are cheap scumbags that are only in it because of how cheap it is to make a fucking pizza.

The other option is to play around and make your own damn sauce. This would be the best option as you won't have some guido lining his pocket with your money while he is buying his "signature" sauce from costco or something.

Take an hour and google search "starting a restaurant" and you'll get some tips dude.

Break down the cost of everything you do--the cost of the product, the allocation of each ingredient, the labor involved, cooking time, etc. The serving containers, the napkins or forks involved. Foodservice is not about food...it's also about service.

Also showing up to any food related event with just a fry daddy is not going to go well. A real commercial grade fryer is expensive(but not that much if you are serious.)

I wish you the best Anon but do every bit of homework before venturing out. Basically know the answers before you ask the question. Right now it seems like you know very little.
>>
>>7582388
>little 4 oz cups
That's a shitload of sauce for a couple rice balls. Cut back to 2 oz, get a pump and a large container to refill. Yes you can purchase gallons of marinara. Restaurant suppliers or food service is best bet, but I believe sam's/costco/BJ's should all have an option for sauce in that size.
>>
make croquettes,faggot
>>
>>7582472
>Be a 19 year old with a summer job at an amusement park
>Pretty much told "keep all this shit in the steam table hot"
>One day food inspector comes in
>EVERYTHING is like 120F
>Guy starts fucking screaming at me about how I could have easily poisoned all these people
>Telling me about how he could have me arrested and he does it every day
>Be on the verge of tears for the only time in my adult life that wasn't due to death
>Finally my boss comes in and saves me
>LOL NO he threw me under the bus
>Finally enough people stick up for me that I didn't know that the inspector lays off
>Still forced to take a long as fuck food safety course or lose my job

Fuck man I didn't know. We were serving hamburger/hotdogs/sausage in sauce, but we rotated that shit so often (once every two hours) I doubt anyone actually got sick
>>
File: 1440208475149.jpg (11 KB, 255x210) Image search: [Google]
1440208475149.jpg
11 KB, 255x210
>>7582496
This.

Also, anyone renting space to you at a fair will expect a business license and food handling & safety certification. If your business requires the use of a deep fryer, you need adequate ventilation and a specific restaurant permit. The whole process of applying for permits and licenses will take a couple months at least, you will need to attend a food safety course, and a health inspector will have to approve your food prep area before you can legally make a dollar. I would stress doing this legally; you don't want to get caught withholding the governments piece of pie.
>>
>>7582564

of course no one got sick. the FDA is just a racket. you can do almost anything that doesn't look disgusting enough to turn customers away, and no one is gonna get sick.

people getting sick from food has very specific causes, that are only barely ever maybe never prevented by the food temp regulations.
>>
>>7582590
found the retard
>>
>>7582612

found the bootlicker
>>
>>7582590
>>only barely ever maybe never prevented by the food temp regulations
>wat is salmonella
>wat is botulism
>wat is everything
>>
>>7582641

have you ever, ever got those while cooking for yourself?

do you follow fda regulations in your kitchen?

/thread
>>
>>7582645
Gee, if only there was someone keeping some kind of statistic on salmonella outbreaks so you could know how often people catch that shit...
(Yes, I do follow HACCP guidelines at home, thank you very much. Culinary school side effect.)
>>
>>7582653
>>stats on how many people don't get salmonella

you are delusional if you think the FDA has ever prevented one sole illness.
>>
>>7582641
Botulism results from bad canning and temperature does not destroy the toxins that cause the problems
>>
>>7582641
Anon who almost cried here.

To be fair, when we cooked the food they were very anal about cooking it to a safe temp (even the precooked hotdogs), however our steam table system sucked and was off by a few degrees
>>
>>7582368
....I don't even understand. Are you trying to make sauce or buy it?
>>
I worked for 2 different pizzeria and both made their own sauce for pizza and marinara.

Pizza sauce is not marinara sauce, not at all.

If you don't know this simple thing, I think you should drop the endeavor. The sauce also isn't the complex, either rod them.

Also, I own a Fry Daddy and to efficiently fry (as in you aren't being a dunce and dumping roo much shit into the oil) enough food for 4 people, it takes at least 3-4 batches for just one food item. I don't see how this would make a large enough amount to actually sell at a warm temperature.
>>
>>7582675
well what ever is easier
really just looking for prego quality here, the sauce isn't the point of this whole experiment
>>
>>7582700
>pizza sauce=/=marinara=/=spaghetti sauce=/=ragu
Making any of these would be cheaper and better tasting.
>>
>>7582704
I came to a conclusion that tomato soup is really just tomato sauce served in a bowl
>>
>>7582404

That seems like a really bad idea, like next level retarded idea, who the fuck likes rice with cheese anyway?
>>
>>7582664
Off by a few degrees? Your steam table should have been at 170F not 120F. You're lucky rotation was every two hours or you really fucking could have gotten someone sick. Not that it would have entirely been your fault anyways. Who the fuck leaves a teenager who doesn't know shit about food safety alone to monitor steam table temps?
>>
>>7582368
>do the commercial sauce companies sell in bulk to restaurants or something?

Of course they do. Ingredient wholesalers sell sauce is large cans.

Also, it's not hard to produce sauce in bulk. It's commonly done in restaurants across the country every day, it simply calls for a biiiiiig pot and a commercial-type immersion blender.

>>I don't even have a sauce recipe, I just wing it every time until it tastes right

You will probably need to come up with one, otherwise it's going to be a lot more difficult for you to handle your accounting. You need to know what each portion of food is going to cost you, and that means you need to know what goes into that portion so you can do the budget.
>>
>>7582660
Bad canning how? Oh, I know! Not thoroughly heating and cooling to the right temperatures in the right amount of time. Again culinary school 101. Your point was...?
>>
File: 2441764864.jpg (132 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
2441764864.jpg
132 KB, 1500x1500
>This whole thread

Oh lordy, I can just imagine OP going up to people at a flea market asking them to buy his rice balls.
>>
File: 1361118018890.jpg (50 KB, 430x410) Image search: [Google]
1361118018890.jpg
50 KB, 430x410
So here is how it works:
1. Pizzerias can in theory purchase all the ingredients to make sauces

2. But in reality, a lot of them will just buy sauces in bulk from their main provider, or franchise provider

3. Even things like Ranch is mixed from yoghurt or sour creme with a prepurchased powder mix. Very few actually made ranch, which is a shame.
The same is true for a lot of garlic sauces and many others.
>>
>>7582590
>the FDA is just a racket.
Food Safety Boards are generally rackets. With one exception: If people do get poisoned, they have a bunch of real power.
It doens't matter if its USA, Denmark, Brazil or Czechs Republic. They can't bite unless there is real danger to the public.

Now, there are edge cases. They will bite if the violations stack up, to the point where all it takes is some equipment being infected to ruin the batch.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.