[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will belacan hit the states and become the new meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
When will belacan hit the states and become the new meme?
>>
>>7581492
Is it food?
>>
>>7581494
It's shrimp paste. It smells fucking awful and your house will reek of death if you try to roast it but the end meal is usually less pungent.
>>
>>7581509
I used to deliver and pick up furniture that was leased years and years ago. I remember going into an Indian persons apartment and it smelled so bad me and the other guy working would have to go outside for fresh air or damn near puke. It was that awful.

So is it Indian spices? Just curious.
>>
>>7581530
More South East Asian, like Malay. It is true that it has an impressively penetrating smell, but it's not nauseating.
>>
>>7581530
It was probably just they're shitty hygiene
>>
>>7581509
is this a quote they use on the wrapping?
>>
>>7581492
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrimp_paste

it's been in north america for at least 3 decades, under various names and varieties. there is not a huge differrence between the types. at the very least, i know the pinoy version has been here for that long.
>>
>>7581852
it hasn't entered the meme consciousness yet
>>
Malay here. Many of the Malay sambals have belacan in them. Also some laksa.
>>
>>7583159
To continue, its function is like fish sauce, to give a salty umami taste. Look for bottled sambal belacan if you want to try it.
>>
>>7581530
>>7581824
It's probably devil dung resin, smells horrible but tastes like cooked leeks afterwords in currys
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.