[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fine dining friend, here.. have some pics >pacific white
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: hXWoqQI.jpg (27 KB, 611x815) Image search: [Google]
hXWoqQI.jpg
27 KB, 611x815
fine dining friend, here.. have some pics

>pacific white sturgeon
>confited salsify, dredged in rice/tapioca flour/cornstarch, tossed in burnt honey/rolled in herbs
>blanched cabbage w/ginger kimchi we made rolled inside
>pan sauce of reduced kimchi juice/butter/lemon juice/sherry vin/salt
>>
File: 88j41gx.jpg (54 KB, 611x815) Image search: [Google]
88j41gx.jpg
54 KB, 611x815
>>7580154

>12 hr brined, cold smoked jidori chicken
>oven roasted
>house made pickled things/sauces
>>
>>7580154
That looks really good, but I thought fine dining stopped that weird misuse of the term "confit" a while back.

I never really understood what it means, how do you confit a salisfy?
>>
>>7580159

cook it in fat?

i guess it's "braised", but it's braised in olive oil/aromatics instead of stock or whatever
>>
File: Ko4ndZz.jpg (42 KB, 484x859) Image search: [Google]
Ko4ndZz.jpg
42 KB, 484x859
>>
File: MrXxYRl.jpg (28 KB, 611x815) Image search: [Google]
MrXxYRl.jpg
28 KB, 611x815
oregon albacore crudo
>>
File: adHbUtY.jpg (32 KB, 644x859) Image search: [Google]
adHbUtY.jpg
32 KB, 644x859
>>7580185

similar dish, diff plate and garnishes
>>
File: Z0xXm1X.jpg (42 KB, 484x859) Image search: [Google]
Z0xXm1X.jpg
42 KB, 484x859
>>
>>7580154
self indulgent finger food like this is what's wrong with cooking
>>
>>7580200

i just posted a picture of an entire chicken we sell..

so suck it; you're what's wrong with cooking.
>>
>>7580211
It's just a hambeast from the "why do bodynormative fat-shamers want us to eat less" thread. Ignore.
>>
>>7580230
Says the pro-ana motherfucker who honestly believes the OP is a whole meal.
>>
>>7580240
>what are multi-course meals

Kill yourself you fat sack of worthless shit.
>>
>>7580240
>who honestly believes the OP is a whole meal.
Anyone who has eaten fine dining knows that's not a whole meal. You wouldn't know, because actually having an opportunity to breathe between bites is enough to induce a complete mental breakdown and panic attack, so you do everything in your power to ensure that the only restaurants you visit serve everything heaped onto the same plate, all at once, right there where you can see it. In this way you can be sure you're getting MUH MUNNYS WORTH because what if they stop bringing out more courses? Oh my god, you might experience the sensation of not having a firehose of HFCS and deep fried garbage getting shoved down your gullet at an inhuman speed. Because you're not actually human, you're whatever species jabba the hut is.

Stop being fat, fatty fat.
>>
>>7580250

>whatever species jabba the hutt is

he's a hutt, dumbass
>>
>>7580166
Technically wouldn't that be oil poaching? My understanding is that in a braise the item is only partially immersed in liquid and is usually browned first. Poach is full immersion below boil,I think.
>>
>>7580154
>>7580158
>>7580185

those look really nice. love the ideas on the first one, quite a lot of thought went into that dish.
>>
>>7580733

thanks man! it was a good dish

>>7580542

i guess maybe it's oil poaching.. does that mean confit has to be with animal fat or else it's not a confit?
>>
>>7580250

is this pasta, or were you actually kinda rustled by that dude's post?

if the latter, lol you rule..
>>
>>7581262

i agree, op delivered a pretty superb roast
>>
>>7580154
so the sturgeon is... what? steamed?
I mean, way to drop the ball on an otherwise nice dish...
>>
>>7581203
>does that mean confit has to be with animal fat or else it's not a confit?
A puritan might even argue it has to be the animals own fat. But then you have shit like lemon confit that doesn't involve cooking in fat at all.
Confit is a preserve - not a cooking technique. But I guess it's now pretty much used to mean 'cooking in fat below frying temperature.'
>>
>>7580254
A subtle ruse like that is the hallmark of great copypasta.
>>
>>7580154
> Fine dining
> Tiny portions
> Huge plates

>>7580158
> Entire chicken
> Gotta serve it on a huge surface so they know it's fancy

This is why I don't like fine dining.
>>
>>7580190
>>7580185
>>7580154
call me an amerifat-pleb, i dont mind, but how many of those plates are considered a meal? do people order more then one of those? the "fanciest" place ive been to was like ~80 a plate steak house
>>
>>7581464

They're not supposed to be a filling meal, and yes you typically order more than one.
>>
fine dining is degenerate
whatever happened to just grabbing a burger ya dirty commies
>>
>>7581464
Five to seven would be a standard fine dining tasting menu. An appetizer, two entrés, two mains (seafood before meat), dessert...
The standard is fish before meat, cold before warm, steamed/boiled before seared/baked, and so on, having served a bit of everything in the end. It's served one plate at a time, often with a change of wine for each dish.
>>
>>7581464

usually between seven to nine are considered a whole meal. generally in a fine dining restaurant you will get six or seven courses usually combined with one or two free entrees, a part of the service.

>>7581474

if you use the word "degenerate" inflationary you're a confirmed subhuman and should be legally obliged to get castrated.
>>
File: tengil.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
tengil.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>7581474
>not appreciating an evening long dining experience
>>
>>7581464
A tasting menu would be a fixed set of courses, sometimes with substitutions (for the more common allergies or veg/nonveg or whatever).

Sometimes you have places where you do order little plates that look like that, in which case it isn't a "tasting menu". In such a case you would ask if you're ordering enough, the staff is well trained at that kind of place and they're expecting questions like that.
>>
>>7581470

okay i guess i had multiple questions in one.

were OP's pick part of a multiple course meal? or a single item itself and you get to pick what all you want to dine on and they bring it out in the order they think is best?

like i said never been to any place like that before and am just wondering-sounds fun

i guess the multiple orders wouldnt matter for the type of people who can affford that kind of place, im broke so thats why i was wondering, i guess ill just stay a pleb
>>7581479
+
>>7581483
>Five to seven would be a standard fine dining tasting menu. An appetizer, two entrés, two mains (seafood before meat), dessert...
The standard is fish before meat, cold before warm, steamed/boiled before seared/baked, and so on, having served a bit of everything in the end. It's served one plate at a time, often with a change of wine for each dish.

>usually between seven to nine are considered a whole meal. generally in a fine dining restaurant you will get six or seven courses usually combined with one or two free entrees, a part of the service.
oh okay yeah thats what i meant to ask. that sounds awesome, realistically whats the minimum price to try something like that?

and do i just search for "fine dining i n__ city" or what?
would be awesome to try something like that
>>7581488
>Sometimes you have places where you do order little plates that look like that, in which case it isn't a "tasting menu". In such a case you would ask if you're ordering enough, the staff is well trained at that kind of place and they're expecting questions like that.
oh okay cool, just seeing these dishes makes me feel like I should just stop, like I would feel embarrassed to ask a question and the and everyone stop drinking their wine and music stops to see how poor I am

sound like a sweet meal experience
>>
>>7581464
A full menu will easily put you in the >300g pure protein envelope. One dish may be 50-100g main protein, plus the dressings. There are people who think fine dining means leaving hungry, but those are the same people who've never eaten out properly.
>>
>>7581508
oh right on- im sure places of that "caliber" or whatever know what theyre doing
>>
>>7581499
>and do i just search for "fine dining i n__ city" or what?
The White Guide is your friend. Tasting menus come as a package, usualy wine packaged and priced separately. 100-200 € for the food and about half that for a matching wine package is pretty standard, but there are awesome restaurants that are way cheaper too.
You're not so much paying for the food as the amount work and quality of it.
>>
>>7581521
oh cool, too bad im in south usa, but ill use it as a reference to look for others, thanks
>You're not so much paying for the food as the amount work and quality of it.
for sure i wouldnt mind that at all
>>
>>7581537
>south usa
Gault Millau then, perhaps. Or the Michelin Guide Rouge.
>>
>>7581499

>oh okay yeah thats what i meant to ask. that sounds awesome, realistically whats the minimum price to try something like that?

i cannot speak for every part of the world of course, but I know for example that la vie, a 3 michelin star restaurant in germany charges about 400€ for their 7 course menu, to which you will get one or two free "greetings from the kitchen" (entrees)

but that's just about the "finest" you can get. i'm sure there are other options that are much less expensive. i don't have that kind of money myself, but i know ppl that do.
>>
>>7581341

sous vide to rare in duck fat/aromatics, picked up with some butter in a pan and tossed in the oven brought up to medium to serve

>>7581373

i feel like anything we cook in a fat/oil we call a "confit".. you're probably right, though.

>>7581464

we do a 5 course plus amuse bouche for between $65 and $85 depending on what's on the tasting meny.. affordable as fuck for what you get
>>
Paid around 60 euros for a fine dining evening.

I was actually suprised by the amount of food, and variation you get over 7 courses. We were offered to sample different wines, FOC, and even given a lemon sorbet to cleanse the palate after it finished.

Ended up well fed, and very impressed. Well worth the money.
>>
>>7581577
>>7581636

that is very, very cheap. i would love to eat at your respective restaurants!
>>
>>7580158
Is first also eden hill in seattle?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.