[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
French fry methodology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 1457330332900.gif (999 KB, 346x157) Image search: [Google]
1457330332900.gif
999 KB, 346x157
there's a general consensus on preparing a steak:

>room temperature steak
>salt, pepper
>place on ridiculously hot surface (cast iron, grill)
>turn once etc etc

It seems much easier to get a good steak than good French fries. What techniques do you think are best? What steps are followed by businesses that weaken their fry game?
>>
never post an image more interesting than your post. tell us more about the image.
>>
>>7574268

Just imagine that deep sea creature breaded and flash fried whole
>>
I guess you're supposed to fry fries twice. But I have no fucking idea why.
>>
>>7574252
bring water and 1 tbsp of vinegar to boil, boil cut potatoes for about 10 minutes
Spread out cooked taters on a tray and freeze
Fry in 350F oil
>>
>there's a general consensus on preparing a steak
No, there isn't. Room temperature is irrelevant, "room temperature" doesn't even exist given that your room is going to be hotter or colder depending on climate (and a professional kitchen is going to be much hotter than a home kitchen). Some people cook inside out. Some people advise to flip lots of times (Heston being one of them)
>>
>>7574252
>room temperature
Nope.

>turn once etc etc
Fuck outta here with your meme cooking. Cool pic tho.
>>
>>7574282

I didn't want to start a steak war but I think there's more consensus on making a good steak consistently than French fries.
>>
>pour a few servings worth of frozen fries ordered from restaurant supply company into fryolater basket
>fry until done

That's how 95% of restaurants make their fries. The only difference being what type of fry they order, when the fry cook considers them "done", and how long they're allowed to sit out before being served.
>>
>>7574290
>implying /ck/ could come to a consensus on so much as how to boil water
>>
>>7574252

There is a quote that I have always attributed to Charles Bukowski but now I don't know if its true anymore, but anyway:

You heat up a cast iron skillet as hot as it can go. You throw some salt on the pan. You take the steak and throw it on the pan. You get a bottle of whiskey, pour yourself a shot, take the shot. You then flip the steak. You pour another shot, take the shot, and put the whiskey away. Then you take the steak off the pan and plate it.
>>
>>7574252
>What techniques do you think are best?
-parboil in salted water, dry.
-fry once @300F, cool
-fry again @375.
-season
Ideal fat is beef tallow or duck/goose fat. Lard is good too.

>What steps are followed by businesses that weaken their fry game?
Skipping the parboil
Frying only once
Using old/dirty oil
Using frozen fries
too much or too little seasoning
>>
>>7574252
>room temperature steak
>turn once

Fuck off troll.
>>
>>7574364

>using old/dirty oil

Using brand new, perfectly clean oil isn't very good either.
>>
>>7574252
First of all, they're called chips.
Secondly, hot oil. Vegetable oil.

Peel potatoes, cut into shape, dunk into hot oil and leave there until they float.
Then remove them from the oil, shake them off, and dunk them back in for a few seconds. Repeat this a few times to crisp up the outside, then shake/drip dry and serve.
>>
>>7574431

except make it out of sweet potato and put salt and honey on it
>>
>>7574364
I second this
Triple cooked is most time consuming, but also the best way to make a fry

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Cooked_Chips
>>
>>7574431

It's best to use a mandolin to make chips, and once they float they're done and will over cook if you put them back in.
>>
>>7574347
>only 2 shots

I don't think thats bukowski
>>
>>7574252
>chop potatoes up in chips style (as in british wedges)
>place wedges in salted water as you wait for oil to heat up
>heat vege oil
>dry wedges and place in oil
>lower heat to mid
>as they are frying sprinkle with oregano or your favorite dry seasoning (I also sprinkle all-purpose seasoning)
>fry till golden brown, if you prefer to fry in shallow oil then turn and wait for other side to brown

this is the best I could muster
>>
French fries aren't difficult.

Blanch them once in oil heated on a medium flame to cook them through, then fry them again at higher heat until crispy.

But that isn't the ONLY way to cook french fries. People have a preference for how they cook things.
>>
File: oven-steak-fries.gif (111 KB, 400x327) Image search: [Google]
oven-steak-fries.gif
111 KB, 400x327
>>7574431

These are chips, you fucking bong.
>>
>>7574518

A chip is when a small sliver comes off. Those are wedges.
>>
>>7574277
For crispy coating.
>>
>>7574304

>add boiling water to pot
>taking boiling water out of pot

You now have boiled water. Freeze it to make great boiled water pops.
>>
>>7574545

You blanch them to make them soft and then fry again at a higher temp to so that you can get a crispy outside and a sort fluffy inside.
>>
Maybe that is a genetically modified fish with a fluorescent transgene in his mucous producing cells or something.
>>
I like to add the additional step of dredging par-boiled fries in seasoned flour. Just personal preference tho.
>>
>make mashed potatoes however you want
>shape them into fry shapes and freeze
>dredge in beer batter and deep fry
>>
I saw an interesting recipe for tater tots where the dude simmered shredded taters in duck fat until the starches congealed, then strained the taters out and chilled them on a sheet pan until they could be cut in cubes. Then he fried the cubes in the duck fat.

Looked pretty good.
>>
>>7574609
Isn't that the taiwan way?
>>
>>7574252
I heard you should only salt beef after it's mostly cooked, otherwise the salt makes the meat tough.
>>
File: 539982_home_fries.jpg (28 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
539982_home_fries.jpg
28 KB, 400x300
>>7574518
check your eyes, those are wedges. Brit 'chips' are actually home fries.
>>
>>7574733

British "chips" aren't technically fried.

What they do is bury potatoes in the sand for 48 hours right where the waves crash against the beach until they're soft and mushy.

Then they cut them up and toss them in a little used chippy oil with salt and vinegar.
>>
> Ctrl+F "Robuchon"
> 'Not found'

It's like you're not even trying:
cut potato
put in pot
pour in oil
apply high heat til brown
>>
>>7574268
>>7574275
>>7574593
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/28838200
>>
>>7574561
> 2016
> Still using pots

Electric kettles are where it's at.

>>7574434
> Sweet potato
> Sweet on savoury
Disgusting amerifat.
>>
>>7574404
True, the fry oil needs some cooking in order to break it in. Sounds ridiculous but it's true.
>>
>>7575552
I've found that a day or two after the deep fryer has been changed is when you get the best tasting food out of it
>>
>>7575387
>not just microwaving your water instead of buying a unitasker
>>
>>7575387
there is nothing wrong with having a sweet and savoury combination, and for you to suggest otherwise leads me to believe that you are the type who takes their chicken boiled and unseasoned.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.